“Honestly the Best Value I've ever encountered.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa de Tortuga

Casa de Tortuga
“Honestly the Best Value I've ever encountered.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Just waking to morning #2 of 7 days in heaven!!!

Words can't describe the feeling you get when you actually realize you made the right choice in a place to stay at a vacation spot you just have to go to. This was destiny at its best.

My better half and I are both caught up in the corporate grind thing that we all choose not to acknowledge that we are slaves to the dollar bill.

This place will give you your peace back in more ways than one. It's affordable, clean, location is very central to the island activities, the Casitas are much better than any Holiday Inn in so far as comfort and did I mention clean.

Stop researching so much, select Casa de Tortuga and hit the enter button...then relax and enjoy!!!

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed last weekend in one of the casitas and I really had a great time. The owners were very nice to us and pleasant. Everything in the room was clean and the bed was so comfortable. Also it is very close the Malecon, where the night life is.... The pool was small but so clean and nice. Summary, i will definetly recommend this place to anyone!! :)

• Stayed August 2013
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

This was my first stay at Vieques Island and I thoroughly researched all the hotels and Inns for months to decide where I would get the most for my buck. I have to say that I was more than pleased with Casa Tortuga (CT). Given that I stayed there for a wedding I knew a lot of my friends would stay at different locations so I'd be able to compare their hotels to mine. The more I asked around and the more places I checked, the happier I was that I had done my research properly. There were places as nice as CT, but WAY overpriced or far from the action. CT is closely located to the Malecon in Bo. Esperanza (basically where all the action is), but not in the mayhem. And when I say close, I mean 2 minute walk. I'm from Puerto Rico and love to party, but when its time to get my beauty rest I mean it. It was SO quiet, I couldn't believe we were that close to all the partying. In addition the rooms were IMMACULATE. I'm a clean freak and not only where the rooms nicely decorated, they were really clean. The pool area was beautiful, as well as the surroundings. This is NOT an uber chic place, this is a very nice, laid-back place to stay while enjoying the island. If I had to take points off it would be for lack of staff. The owners were awesome, sweet and attentive, however, it was obvious they understaffed and despite their best attitude they looked overwhelmed taking care of all aspects of the place. Also, I couldn't find a phone number on their website to confirm the reservation before arrival (because there is none... yeah, I know!) which was a bit sketchy. I'm a traveler so I'm always up for a bit of adventure, but if I was with my family I would've been stressed about that. Other than that, I had a great time. I'm definitely staying again.

Room Tip: For a couples or solo travelers: casita # 4 is the best!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Montgomery, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

When we arrived, the owners seemed surprised to see us. We'd had a reservation for a few weeks, but they admitted they didn't really check their reservations. They prohibit the air conditioner running when you're not in the room, which I understand I suppose, so the room was stifling when we arrived. Personally, if I'd been the owner, I would have anticipated a guest's arrival and opened the jalousie windows that morning so the room aired out by the time the guests arrived. Having little time to run the A/C before bed, it was stiflingly hot all night long.

As other reviewers had noted, there are plenty of barking dogs and crowing roosters in the neighborhood, but I found it was quiet at night. Be advised, there is no TV in the room. Not a problem for me, we were really only there to sleep, but it may be a surprise if you're expecting a typical hotel room. Additionally, there are no toiletries provided, such as shampoo, so bring your own. Oddly, they do provide a body pouf... I'm not sure who would want to use a body pouf someone else may have used.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katnip_21f
San Juan, Puerto Rico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2013

It's not the first time we stayed at this local small hotel/motel. For the last 4 years we have been staying there at least 3 times per year with good of friends, this means we rent all together between 5 to 7 casitas .... I should start off by saying that we are from Puerto Rico. When I got married 2 years ago this hotel was booked by my family and friends. During all this time they had different administrators some of them good others not that friendly.

This last weekend Viegues celebrated the "Fiestas Patronales" which basically is a big party in the main "plaza" where you can enjoy music, food and have a good time. We(my family), rented a 3 room Casita along with friends that have reserved for several months in advance to make sure we were all together.

This time we dealt with the owners, that were not as friendly. We asked for beach towels and they told us not to let them out to dry, we made sure of it that we did not, every day! In other occasions we were able to use their beach chairs. In this situation they mentioned that people would occasionally steal them, Maybe with a Deposit that problem with the chairs would be solved! And this will have a frequent customer happy.

Somebody that was there recently posted that the owner was incoherent.... that is true.

I mentioned before that we are from the "Big Island", We as a culture are sometimes loud(yes), happy, fun and friendly people. The owner is not from Puerto Rico, most of the hotels and restaurants in that part of the Islands are owned by people from the States. We went to area restaurant(s) for breakfast, lunch and dinner... everywhere we had great service!

The day we were leaving, the owner entered to the room turning off the ac. We were still there! In the past they charged us for late check out and was ok with us. Their check out is at 12:00, we were there by 12:30, just to find out that they were inside of the casita! When we complained to one of the Owners, in her response she stated that she has been very tolerant with us, because we were loud by the pool..... HELLO!!! all our friends were staying in the hotel with us! So basically, all the guests were at the pool area with us as well. The hotel is a big house!

After lot of thinking of what happened and after reading many of the reviews I concluded that the owners either don't like locals to stay in their hotel or they ran out of "customer service"! They lost not a once a year customer they lost a repetitive customer and friends. There are many nice places to stay in Vieques and they should realize they are not the only ones!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Pedro d
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

If you want to live the island life away from the fortressed, overpriced resorts, this is a great alternative. It's simple, cost efficient and located in the perfect place - a block away from the Malecon and away from much of the weekend evening noise. Casa de Tortuga is clean and comfortable and I repeat, simple. If you are expecting luxury this isn't the place for you. If you just want a simplified living space - bed to sleep on and a shower - with a few more creature comforts for a more reasonable price - this place does the trick. We stayed in Casita #4 and the owners Skip and Linda were really nice. You can pick from the property's fruit - fresh mangos and pineapple. Although we didn't use the pool (because we are beach people) it looked nice enough. I learned how to pick the best mangos (and we did every day) and where the best beaches are (Navio beach and Sun Bay). The owners also gave us beach towels and chairs and a cooler. WARNING: If you are a light sleeper, the roosters crowing and the dogs barking may drive you a bit nuts but I can honestly tell you that you'll find roosters and dogs almost anywhere that you stay on the island. Friday - Sunday is popular in that part of town - lots of people and music blasting. There is a little bodega two houses down from Tortuga where you can get beer, ice cream, bread or any type of snacks you might want. All in all, Casa de Tortuga was worth the price and we enjoyed ourselves there.

Room Tip: We stayed in Casita #4 - small studio sized room with a little sink, small fridge and microwave. The...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SDH424
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

Stayed in Skipper's Cove and it was terrific! Rooms are immaculate, management was wonderful. When we asked, they had terrific ideas about beaches to try, restaurants that would meet our needs. As my son walked by, called him over to point out the iguana in a nearby tree.
The setup was perfect for a family - small kitchen fully stocked with cookware, table for 4, small "living room" and two bedrooms. Great place to return to after a day in the sun.
I loved the location - close enough to the Malecon for walking, but far enough away to keep the noise at bay.
Would rate 5 out of 5, except for noise issues. Neighbors are loud (as noted by others), and the soundproofing between our room and the adjoining one needs to be improved. The family staying in the next unit was LOUD and large....the management can't control its guests, but improving soundproofing would help.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family