“Exactly what we hoped for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Casa de Tortuga

Casa de Tortuga
Grand Forks, ND
“Exactly what we hoped for!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2010

I, like others can’t say enough about the owner/manager, Matt. This guy is amazing and takes care of his guests like they are friends or family. I’ll just start by saying this is the best value on the island. That said, if you are looking to have maid service every day and a 24 hour staff person at a front desk… this is not your place. Come to think of it, this may not be your island. Ok, so the W just opened this week and has rooms starting at $500 a night… so there is your other option. Matt is either there to help at all times or he has his phone number stuck on the door and is just a phone call away. I’ll get into some details:
The whole place is run by Matt and he is there to check you in and make sure you have everything you need. I think he asked us at least twice every day when he saw us coming in and out if he could help with any plans or to give us ideas. He offered to make reservations for us, called us a taxi when needed and even drove us across the island to make sure we made our scuba diving trip. (local taxi’s are not always reliable and we were getting concerned).
We stayed in a Casita and it was basically a larger hotel room except it had a small kitchen table with chairs, coffee maker, mini fridge, microwave and even a hot plate. We had a couple coffee mugs and glasses to use. There is not a daily maid service but who cares. It was clean when we got there and basically it’s an all new place with new furniture. There was no TV in our unit (which is not a bad thing when on this island) but there was an ipod stereo docking station that we used a lot when getting ready to go for dinner. We never had a problem with hot water but we enquired about this after reading the one bad review on here. It turns out that they have a tankless hot water heater that might not keep up if everyone is showering at the same time. So yes, if you need to shower in hot water at the same time as everyone else in the property you might not have boiling hot water. Personally, this island is hot and I tried to get the water as cold as possible when I showered. The water is never “cold” as there is a holding tank on the sunny side of the building that warms in the sun. I usually showered in the afternoon after being at the beach/pool and even on the coldest setting it was still a little on the warm side for my sunburned body.
In summary, if you are looking for the Ritz…stay at the new W hotel or don’t come to this island as it is a very typical Caribbean island and the speed of life and general feel might not be to your liking. If you want to take it easy and stay in a very affordably, nice, clean, and basically new place with a guy that goes out of his way to help…Tortuga is the place to stay. If we return to the island (I hope we do), we will without a doubt stay here. Thanks again for everything Matt! --Blue Skies--

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

Overall, I can't say enough about the owner (Matt) and his ability to make Casa de Tortugas a great place to stay. We arrived on a Thursday afternoon, and upon checking in, Matt answered all of our questions relating to restaurants, stores, beaches, taxis, etc. We stayed in a room called "It's Five O'Clock Somewhere," which had two bedrooms and two bathrooms. The room has a series of electronics (TV, stereo, iPod dock), refrigerator, stove top and anything else we could have possibly needed.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at Casa de Tortugas next time, simply b/c of the added-value and service that Matt provides. Example: we had all day Friday to explore Vieques, and found it difficult to get a taxi on the spot. I asked Matt to try a few for us, which he did ... with no luck, Matt drove us himself out to a relatively secluded beach that he originally recommended upon our arrival. Not only did he drive us, he provided a couple of beach chairs and picked us up later that day. In addition, he wouldn't let us pay him for it!!

Although we only stayed 2 nights in Esperanza Vieques, I'd STRONGLY recommend Casa de Tortugas based on it's great location, fair prices and more than anything, the owner. We'll be back sometime, hopefully with more friends/family :)

BTW, I gave "sleep quality" 4 stars only b/c of the local roosters that will wake you up here and there ... no complaints about anything. Thanks Matt for a great time!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with friends
CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2010

We just arrive back from our trip to Vieques and couldn't have been more pleased with our accommodations. If you're expecting a full service resort, or want to spend your time on the island watching TV, then look elsewhere. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable, relaxing stay, then I highly recommend this place. It's location in Esperanza is great, and we enjoyed walking down to the water several times a day. All the local restaurants are within walking distance, and there are a couple markets and a bakery right around the corner. The pool ended up being a nice bonus, for refreshing dips before bed.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
burnsville, nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2010

My wife and I stayed here for 3 night to wind down from a 7 day cruise and thouroughly enjoyed the relatively unpopulated island (after being on a boat with 3500 other folks). We arrived early without prior notice and manager made every effort to get our room cleaned quickly. Room was very nice, but basic. Pool was a nice amenity and we had it to ourselves most of the time to cool off or sunbathe. Sort of enjoyed not having a TV, ther is too much else to do. We did the Bio Bay (AMAZING!!!) and rented a scooter to explore the island and visit the many BEAUTIFUL beaches. We had to be at the airport on the other side of the island by 7 am and our scheduled taxi backed out the night before. I contacted the manager and he immediately started calling the drivers he knew for a 6:30 am pickup. No luck. "Heck" he said, "I have errands to run in town tomorrow, I will just take you in the morning". Saved us and would not take money, so we left a gift. I would certainly return and stay at the Casa de Tortuga again and again. My only suggestion would be that they automatically put new towells in the room daily, no daily cleaning was not a problem, it is how they keep costs down.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2010

This was the perfect place to stay for our short 3 day stop in Vieques. The room and the pool were more than we could have ever asked for. The iPod dock in the room was a great touch!

The location couldn't have been better. Less than a minute walk to the beach/boardwalk and restaurants in Esparanza.

The owner, Matt, went above and beyond to make sure our stay was enjoyable. He gave us some really great advice on other places in Puerto Rico to visit. Definitely plan on returning to Vieques, wouldn't stay anywhere other than Casa de Tortuga.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

My family travels every winter with friends (2 adults/2 kids in both parties) and this year we ended up at Casa de Tortuga in Vieques. We loved it. The property is relatively new and I was hesitant to book it before any trip advisor views because I absolutely depend on this site! But I'm very glad I did. Here's the low-down:
- the suites are great for families; light, airy and comfortable. The kitchen was basic but we really only needed it for breakfast and lunch. We went out for dinner.
-the pool. This is only guest house with a pool and it was great for the kids.
-the location. A big plus. It is less than a block from the town beach and a row of open-air restaurants. Up and around the block is a great bakery. I havn't been tempted by doughnuts in years, but these were AMAZING. There is also a grocery next door to the bakery (and a smaller one next to the hotel.) My two negatives on the location are: 1) no views; and 2) the neighbors-- there is one house that has the radio/tv going all the time and it is a bit noisy.
Like the others, we liked Matt, the propietor, very much and found him very helfpul in setting up excursions (the bio bay is THE best), replenishing towels, and getting us taxis.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank KarenfromDC
San Juan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

I guess the people who did the other reviews don't mind the fact that they have no HOT water in the shower. No TV. A kitchenette that does not have the basics. The staff is never there. He will be there to check you in but, good luck finding him again. There is a sticker on the door that reads "board meeting all day with a ph #" AKA at the beach surfing or kicking it back. They don't replace towels, soap etc. during your stay. The room is clean except for the bathroom and the white rug next to the bed, which you are better off rolling up or tucking under the bed.

I visit the island every couple of months or so and will never stay here again nor would I ever recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo