“Malecon House-Safe, Clean and Luxurious!”
Review of Malecon House

Malecon House
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Malecon House-Safe, Clean and Luxurious!”
Reviewed 14 July 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night in April and we left the next day engaged! The owners and their daughter were so nice and made us feel safe and cared for. The parking was nice as well as the excellent location in Esperanza. We split our stay between Casa Amistad and Malecon House because we wanted to experience both and we loved both for different reasons! The Malecon House is slightly pricey but completely worth it-Vieques is amazing!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raccoonhand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This gorgeous, airy, modern B&B sits right on the main strip in Esperanza (which we found to have more charm and be better for families, couples, or women travelers than Isabel), but far enough from the nighttime bars to make it both convenient and relaxing. The pool is gorgeous, people from all over town stop by to take a look at it, and it is the perfect end to a hot day in Vieques! The rooms are immaculately clean and have air conditioning, which I now know is worth quite a lot in Puerto Rico! The beautiful coqui frogs sing all night from the lush gardens that the owners have planted. The owners are very relaxed and helpful, and the breakfast is delicious with tropical fruits, great coffee, and what a perfect start to the day.

TIP: Make sure to reserve a rental car in advance when staying on Vieques!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank DnB27
Exeter, UK
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I am a 45yr old single woman travelling on my own. I stayed at Malecon house for 5 nights at the beginning of May 2011. The owners (wife american, husband british) are exceptionally helpful and very decent people and can give you good advice particularly on which local airline to use and which rental car company to use and best beaches etc.

I had been on a caribbean cruise for a week which started at Puerto Rico. I had flown direct to san jaun, Puerto Rico from Gatwick with Virgin. I then when on a caribbean cruise for a week, then had a couple of days in San Juan and then I flew to the island of Vieques from Isla Grande Airport, San Juan, Puerto Rico which is the cheapest and nearest airport to the old town of part of San Juan. Think flight cost about £60 return which when you are travelling on your own is the cheapest option and only a short 30 min flight in a 10 seater plane - I used 'Vieques Airlink' and booked on internet. Old town of San Juan is worth a visit for at least 2 nights - lots of restaurants - great south american music and fab restaurants and bars. I stayed at the reasonable and clean Hotel Olimpo Court Hotel, Miramar, San Juan (recommended by Malecon House) see other review)-

One thing to note is that May in Puerto Rico and Vieques is actually the rainy season. It was rainy/cloudy in san juan and out of the 7 full days I was at Vieques I had one day of complete rain, 1-2 days of cloud and then the remainder was generally fabulous sunshine. Esperanza was not busy at this time and the amazing beaches were almost deserted.

The location of Malecon House is very central to Esperanza and it is very easy to walk to all restaurants and little bars. You are in a small town and there are other houses close to you. I felt safe walking around the main high street at night on my own. You are right on the waterfront, although the small main road through Esperanza separates Malecon House from the actual sea. Esperanza does have a very casual beachy 'a little run down' feel but there is something very relaxing about this. There is a town beach which is small but sweet but not used much that you can walk to in about 5 mins but the best near beach takes about 20 mins to walk and it is huge and fantastic. You can walk along a quiet road passed a shop that sells loads of provisions or you can walk along the coastline which is beautiful, watching pelicans dive and small fish swimming in the beautifully clear water.

What I really liked about Malecon House is the exceptionally high standard of finish to the internal decor and bathroom finishes and pool surround - simple and stylish it has a feel of a high quality caribbean exclusive house. ( I learnt this was because the owner lived on St Barts for years and used to build the top spec villas on this very expensive exclusive island) They have brought this style of finish to Malecon House. I stayed in 'Perfecto' room which is on the first floor (or 2nd floor if you are american) and I was happy with it and able to relax. It has views of some tropical trees and looks over the top of a flat roof one storey building to a small road in the distance and also to one side looks at the back of another guest house with small balconies. The guest house next door did not bother me at all. The room was very comfortable and the beds and pillows were fabulous and I did not feel cramped at all but you do not get a balcony or a good view for th price. As an English person (even though exchange rate not that bad) I did find Malecon House expensive in comparison to what you can get in Europe, but this is the same for the whole of Vieques and Puerto Rico. I think I paid about 145 dollars + tax each night. Largely the people staying at Malecon House were well off american couples (aged 30's, 40's 50') who flew down from the USA for a long weekend. The airconditioning worked well and had a remote control but it was not really really quiet - I largely slept with the air con off and windows open and would zap on the air con with the remote control for a bit if I got hot. The best rooms are at the front of the house and did look good but they were just way out of my price range. One other extremely good thing were the windows. I could leave them open at night with the light on with confidence because of the very good mosquito net screening on all the windows. Not one little bug could get in - no holes anywhere that was very very impressive. (I should say there were very few mosquitos around when I was there)

I also really liked the open corridors and stairways at either end on the ground floor and first floor. Rather than having an external doors they are open to the elements and this provides a beautiful breeze running through the property. On the upstairs open landing there is some beautiful wooden stylish furniture, a bookcase and board games available for people to borrow which is a nice touch. I used to sit at night out on a large wooden chair on the open landing listening to the beautiful sound of the frogs and crickets. There is also a huge roof top (not developed) with good views out to sea where I used to hang my swimming costume to dry. Don't think owners really want to encourage guests up there but I liked standing up there at night looking at the stars

The swimming pool area to the right side of Malecon House, although small has a very exclusive feel to it and lovely waterspouts and you can hide behind all the vegetation and watch little birds that looked like hummingbirds flit between the trees and geckos crawl on the ground. The sunloungers were fabulous to lie on. Most guests hired cars everyday and went to far off beaches so I had the pool to myself on the couple of days I used it.

Breakfast was included and is served outside on the terrace which looks over the hotel front car park, the little main Esperanza road and then out to to the sea. (when I was there there were some long term road works being conducted to mend the sea ballustrades. This was a little annoying sometimes and did obstruct the sea view a bit, but I'm sure it won't be there for much longer. The breakfast was very nice. It was like a continental breakfast that you helped yourself to. Coffee, Fruit Juice, homemade muffins and cereal. If I am being really really fussy I would have liked a cooked option as well occasionally as I was on holiday! The other good thing is there is free internet use in the reception area.

One debate is whether to hire a car for your whole stay? If you can afford it do hire a car so have flexiblity and choose a different island beach each day. I decided not to as travelling on own. There is easy cheap transport from the airport to Esperanza. I hired a jeep for one day it cost about £85 and driving it was fun and easy. I managed to travel all over the island in a day and also visited all the fabulous beaches particularly on the south coast - blue beach, red beach, secret beach etc etc - They are all absolutely amazing and often I found myself completely on my own. I also visited Isabel Segunda, the main town of Vieques, and was very pleasantly surprised it had a more spanish/puerto rican feel than Esperaza. Esperanza seemed like a very relaxed holiday area largely run by alternative hippy alternative intelligent Americans ex pats with the locals slightly separated or not really based on the waterfront anymore. You can find them however and they are lovely.

One amazing cultural thing you do see however in Esperanza is the locals riding their horses through the streets. They parade them up and down the main street at night particularly weekends - they have trained them, almost like the famous beautiful 'Viennese show horses in Europe' to trot almost on tip toes, Instead of driving up and down in their cars showing off ,they ride on their horses. However, I should mention that some locals did instead cruise up and down the main road blasting out very loud reggae/deep bass boom boom music from their cars with the windows wide open until about 10pm - 11pm at night. This happened a couple of nights while I was there. This is a very annoying habit and you can hear it from Malecon House but with the airconditioning on in your bedroom you can't hear it and all in all a minor distraction in the scheme of things and it should not put you off staying at Esperanza.

Final recommendation,I also went on the bioluminescent kayaking trip one evening which I thought was fabulous and recommend.

Room Tip: ask what floor on and what look at
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PassionateTraveller3
New York, NY
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I spent one night here. This was my second time in Vieques. Very comfortable rooms, the morning continental breakfast is a delicious way to start the day Great location right on the Esperanza boardwalk and within walking distance to restaurants and bars and across from the Caribbean sea. The proprietors are gracious and thoughtful they stored our luggage after we checked out and even loaned us chairs and a cooler for our day at the beach. There's no television in the room, but we didn't miss it at all! This is truly a Viequenese gem.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
St. John, USVI
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stayed at the Malecon House for 4 days and wish it was longer. I cannot say enough good things about the Malecon House and will def. stay there again. For a detailed review and photographs please see my blog:

Thank you for making our trip to Vieques so wonderful!!!!

Room Tip: Recommend Perfecto and Tropico.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SageParker
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The Malecon house was our savior for the weekend when my girlfriend and I were visiting Vieques for a wedding. They kindly put us up on the spot with their last room available when our wedding party guesthouse was out of rooms with air conditioning (which is VERY important in Puerto Rico). This house is no doubt the most luxurious yet personal accommodation on the island for anyone who wants to actually relax yet still be close to the best beaches, activities, restaurants and bars.
Keep in mind, the Esperanza strip is a party place so if you are also looking for some peace and quiet, the Malecon house puts you just out of reach of the booming reggaeton bass down the street.
We are so very grateful to have been in the company of the owners and taken care of as if we were family house guests. When we return to Vieques, our first and only option will be pre-booking the Malecon House.

Room Tip: We were in Fiesta, and they only get better.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We had never been to Vieques and did not plan ahead very well. We wanted to either rent a scooter or bikes, but because it was a busy time of year (Semana Santa), it was very difficult. Martha called everyone she knew to find a way for us to get around the island. She helped us book kayak tours, recommended great places to eat, etc. And helped us get cash, as the closest ATM was on the other side of the island. She even put an umbrella outside our door when it rained!

The accommodations are great. The grounds are beautiful and well maintained. We loved the lounge chairs for reading after a long day in the sun. The morning breakfast is substantial and delicious. The staff are very helpful and friendly. Having a small fridge on our private patio was a great addition to the Buena Vista room. Everything is very modern and clean yet also comfortable and casual. The location is not to be beat. You can walk to the nearby beach and anything you need in town. The hotel is on the "main drag", hence the name Malecon, but we did not find the noise from the cruising cars a problem at all inside our room. This place is well built!

While it might be a bit more expensive than other options, if you have the $, spend it here! These folks run a top-notch establishment for what we considered a very fair price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
#5 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to Malecon House? Share your experiences!