“Spoiled by the Malecon House!”
Review of Malecon House

Malecon House
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Spoiled by the Malecon House!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This review is long overdue. We traveled two of the islands within Puerto Rico and The Malecon House on Vieques was our first stay. We wished later it had been our final stay and last stop because we were naive in thinking all places would be to this standard. Sadly for us that was not our experience. The Malecon House totally spoiled us!

I can't imagine having anyone more helpful than Marsha and Robin. We were in contact prior to our trip and Robin called us when we landed (later than original time), stayed up late for us and helped us check in, etc. Both Robin and Marsha were so helpful in all aspects of our travels. I love hearing all their experiences of their own travels. They make running a business (that is hugely busy and must be tiring) look so easy and relaxing.

The Malecon House was top notch when it came to accommodations. They run a tight ship there and are very detail oriented. When we booked our trip they didn't have a room available for our entire stay (we were last minute in planning our trip). They asked if we minded moving rooms and we certainly didn't mind at all. We actually enjoyed it as we got stay in three different rooms! All of which were completely amazing. I appreciated how nice and high end all the towels and sheets were and how clean the rooms were and how spacious the rooms were. I realized I must have taken it for granted after staying at other places while in Puerto Rico.

Every morning there was an amazing spread of breakfast items (muffins, breads, cereal, fresh fruit, coffee and tea). This was perfect for us as we're light eaters and would never eat a heavy meal, especially first thing in the morning to start our adventurous day. There is a great little patio to sit while you enjoy your morning breakfast and coffee.

They also have a resident dog which I really appreciated as I was missing mine while on vacation. They have so many items to use while you are there that are needed. They have beach chairs (some with little coolers already attached), games to take to the beach, other larger coolers and kid items. Their location is so central you can walk to all the restaurants. Again, I had no idea this was the exception and not the rule. They are so generous and thoughtful at the Malecon House!

Then there is the boutique! Oh my! Can this place get ANY better? I didn't find a place on either island that has items such as these. I am not a big shopper but it was a little slice of heaven! Marsha has the most amazing taste on every level. She is also your live model in that she wears the clothing and shoes from her boutique and looks adorable every single day. I bought a couple of dresses and a pair of thong sandals. I get so many compliments every time I wear them. The prices are very reasonable and the quality is good as well. I wanted many other items in her shop but that only meant toting them back home. My advice to the ladies is pack light and stock up while you're there!

I would HIGHLY recommend the Malecon House to any traveler. This by far is one of our favorite vacation accommodations on every level.

Thanks Marsha and Robin for all you do to make travelers and vacationers feel so welcome and at home!

Room Tip: There are all great (at least the three we stayed in).
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DgalCO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Cincinnati
Reviewed 19 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for close to a week at the Malecon house. We had the Verde room around the back of the property. It was very private and quiet. The photos online really do not do the rooms justice. Our room was beautifully appointed with high quality linens, a beautiful bathroom with a walk in tiled shower, and lovely contemporary light fixtures. Everything about the Malecon is elegant and understated. The owners are warm and very helpful as is the entire staff. The only things I would offer in terms of changes (and these are very small concerns) would be to add some local artwork to the walls in the rooms (even one piece would warm it up a bit) and perhaps think about finding a way to use the roof to get the views of the water. The breakfast service is lovely on the downstairs patio, but I can imagine being up high with a full view of the ocean. Stay here! You will love it!! We visited the W, but this has a much more cool, quiet, charming energy to it.

Room Tip: Our room, Verde, was behind the property, very hidden. The rooms off the open air hallways seemed l...
1 Thank andirose
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 January 2014

I ended up at Malecon House by accident. Another hotel nearby had been dangerously misleading on their website, so I was pounding the pavement during a heavily booked week, praying for an empty room somewhere. Robin and Marsha's beautiful property had space available, and I transferred over. First off, they are the most gracious and friendly people, with a service oriented, kind and lovely staff (and sweetie of a dog). The property is impeccable: the result of Robin being a high end property master builder. The Mar Azul room where I stayed is directly over the gift shop and faces the Malecon and ocean from the balcony. It's similar in appointment to a W Hotel room, and the windows light the room beautifully. There's a glass wall shower (not a tub), a small fridge on the balcony, and thick, plush bedding. On the side of the building is a small lap pool with a waterfall type oxygenator, where little anole lizards hide out. Sometimes, when the gate is open, wild horses come in to eat the grass (what I called "lawn service"). With the low structure, you have no one above you in this room either.

I couldn't have been happier with this peaceful oasis. It felt so good to come back to the room and read while watching the sun set over the water, or wake up the the sound of the waves in this quiet town, then head downstairs for a really spot on Continental breakfast of yogurt, fresh fruit, scones and coffee. I can't recommend this property more highly.

Room Tip: I stayed in Mar Azul with the astounding balcony, and I believe Rey is on the bottom floor by the po...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
pennsylvania
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Just returned from a wonderful stay at the Malecon House. Wonderful location within walking distance to all the restaurants and bars on the Malecon in Esperanza. Definitely the best Inn and location to stay in Vieques. Expanded continental breakfast includes coffee, juices, cereal, yogurts, fruit, and delicious baked good. It was very nice to sit and have coffee in the morning while chatting with other guests and the friendly owners. The inn provides chairs, umbrellas, beach towels, and lotions for guests use. Highly recommend the Malecon House.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights in early January. We came to Vieques specifically to visit the Bio Bay. The service was impeccable (Marsha especially). Malecon House is across the street from the sea. We stayed in the Verde Room which was around back with a private entrance. Would absolutely recommend.

Nantucket
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Enjoyed an unplanned stay as a result of Hercules winter storm. Beautiful hotel with excellent hosts and a location that just cannot be surpassed. Look no further, this is where you want to stay! Thanks Robin, Marsha and Jade!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Split time between 2 rooms over 6 days. Owners and staff excellent and available for needs and questions. Attention to details by owners renovation appreciated. Rooms are clean, neat, and nice with tile and glass showers, ac, fridge and comfortable beds. Lanscaping is perfect and calming. Breakfast is more than adequate with fresh fruit, baked goods, cereal, yogurt, juices, tea and coffee. Beach gear provided for daily use is convenient. We traveled the island and checked other nicer spots to stay. Unpretentious atmosphere and perfect location make the Malencon house is the only place we will stay when we return. Great base to explore a uniquely uncrowned carribean gem. pride of ownership and service to guests is evident from booking to checkout.

Room Tip: Fantastico views are the best on the property
Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
#5 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to Malecon House? Share your experiences!