“Island life isn't for everyone but it is for me” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amapola Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Amapola Inn
Ranked #24 of 32 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
“Island life isn't for everyone but it is for me”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have stayed in Amapola several times now. I always rent the studios when they are available. It's so nice to have a refrigerator and microwave for snacks. I also love sitting on the large porch in front. The rooms are always well kept and clean. The staff is extremely helpful with anything I need while I'm there not to mention the restaurant on property is amazing. I always take friends with me and they love it!! I can't wait to come back in a few months.

• Stayed May 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

I am not sure how this place has such good reviews on trip advisor! Besides excellent location and a good restaurant in front, there isn't anything else nice to say about it! We had decided to "upgrade" to a studio room in the back, this included a fridge and microwave with a sink. There is no TV and no internet, Not worth the extra $30 a night we paid to upgrade. As we entered and saw the can of "raid" insect spay on the counter we should of known something was seriously wrong. First was the spiders, which are normal we understand but then we ended up killing 6 huge spiders with fangs hanging out in the bathroom and by the bed! Next came the roaches, 3 little ones and one HUGE one! We were so grossed out we tried to leave to stay somewhere else, but since everywhere was booked we stayed for 2 nights. When my husband packed up his bag, he found 2 roaches in his suitcase!! ewww!!! We were so upset that we paid $250 for 2 nights in the dump that it ruined our whole stay on the island! Tourists beware I am not sure where the other good reviews come from!

Room Tip: There are tons of guest houses on the island to choose from, rent a car and explore!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank C K
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Great location but very filthy room. sat in chair all night because saw bugs in bed. ................filthy room. Coffee maker in room had old coffee grains in it with animals.Friends took room in main building, not studio in back , and room appeared to be clean. I would never recommend this place. Lock on door broken as well. Tourists in next room complained of roaches.

Room Tip: never take outside studio.
Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank DIPLOMAT1126
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is literally in the middle of everything you will do. Make sure you get a room in the back , otherwise it will be too noisy. I stayed the 1st night in the front building, due to a room mix up, and I heard every dish being washed. The restaurant is $$$ but delicious. Had breakfast every morning at the pancake place 2 blocks away (free wifi) . Parking for your beach bound car too. A little nicer than basic, but heard nothing but bad things about W hotel , so this is your best bet. Great staff !

Room Tip: Get one of the bigger apartments ( even for 2) in the back.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank elvisatc
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

I stayed at the Amapola Inn at the end of Feb 2012 for 3 nights. This place is in the perfect location and as a solo female traveler without a rental car, this was perfect for me. It's right on the main strip of Esperanza (which mind you is a very, very small and quiet strip!) next to restaurants, stores and the beach.

The Inn is pretty basic - I stayed in a very small room with just a bed and private bath and not much more but this was fine for me, I just needed a place to sleep! I felt very safe - they lock up the front, side and back entrances at night but give you a key to the side entrance so you can get in and out at all hours but only by key. The front desk definitely didn't seem to be staffed around the clock so that might be something worth asking about - if you need assistance outside of regular hours. My room was only cleaned and restocked with fresh towels once during my 3 night stay which didn't really bother me - I was left with a few bath towels so I was fine. And I was able to borrow a fresh beach towel each day.

I was there during the week - Tues-Fri. The Bili restaurant (along with a few others) weren't open on Tuesday and some even closed on Wednesday but the area really came alive on Thursday and Friday (I left Fri AM) and I will definitely go back over the weekend next time. This was surprising though considering its high tourist season right now. I guess its a testament to how quiet and low-key Vieques is - part of the alure for me!

The front desk staff was very friendly - I didn't have any issues and didn't really interact with the staff much but I suppose that is a good thing that I didn't need to! My stay was issue-free.

The beach across the street from this place is not Sun Bay - I thought that was the case but its not. THere is a beach across the street but its super small and seems to be where boats dock. But it is good for taking a quick dip and enjoying the view. Sun Bay is a decent walk down the beach - maybe 15-20 mins. It's a nice walk though, beautiful. I just thought it was closer.

I didn't have a rental car but only being there for a couple of days and being by myself I didn't really feel like I needed one, especially with this Inn's location but had I been there even another day or two, I would absolutely have wanted a car or at least rent a scooter. There is just not a whole lot to do or see within walking distance.

Overall, great little place, cute, nice staff, perfect location, safe, very basic if you are looking for something without all kinds of amenities.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank kristyeh82
Ljubljana, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

Amapola Inn perfectly feets on Vieques. It has great location (few metres from the beach and on the malecon). Our room was nice and comfy, we stayed in the one at the back, that have kitchenette (with microwave, fridge and coffee maker). When we made reservation, we recieved a special offer, because we stayed for a longer period. Since then we had a feeling that everything will be perfect. And it was.

What we loved the most, were people who work there. They are friendly and always prepared to help.

Vieques became our favourite place and if (when) we'll return, we'll definitely stay again at Amapola.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Amapola is right off the water and the rooms are excellent for the value. The real key to this place though is the people. Kind, warm, and accomodating, they made me and the party that we stayed there with (we were there for a wedding) feel like the place was ours. In a fun part of town as well.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends