“Serene and Sensational”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hector's by the Sea
Babylon, New York
“Serene and Sensational”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I stayed at Hector's by The Sea for the second time in five years. Absolutely beautiful views of the ocean coupled with gorgeous mountain views and horses grazing. Mary and Hector are so gracious always providing helpful advice for spectacular restaurants, activities such as snorkling, kayaking or visiting the unbelievable Bio bay! In addition, Mary and Hector keep the rooms emaculate, and if their is anyway then can help you, they are there in a heart beat, with a gracious smile and abundance of hospitality! The beaches are like nothing else, with many to pick from depending on your pleasure; Sunbay Beach, Red beach, Blue beach are all wonderful! All of them have beautiful views, calm water, some are better for snorkling, where others are preferred for their intimacy! I rented a jeep with the help of Mary and Hector and they pointed me to some wonderful restaurants in the town of Esperanza just few minutes away. You have to go to Duffy's bar and grill and try their Black Angus burger!! Make sure you pick a good seat so you can gaze at the beautiful bay right across the road. If you want to relax by the pool or jump into a jacuzzi with a glass of wine, all you have to do is walk twenty feet from your room! The rooms are clean and spacious. They have a fridgerator, coffee pots, and there is the Green store near by, if you want to buy a few things for yourself for the mornings. Vieques is just the place for a relaxing, serene, wonderful experience with a lot to offer. Mary and Hector are wonderfully pleasant hosts with tremendous knowledge of the island and will always steer you in the right place. This is one place you need to check out and see for yourself!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Brian F

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I stayed at Hector's this past July 2013. Our stay was amazing. The property was too beautiful for words. Waking up every morning to the sound of the sea and watching the horses run through the fields was breathtaking. Hector and Mary are very gracious hosts and made out stay even more enjoyable. I would highly recommend staying at Hector's to anyone visiting Vieques, or planning a trip to Puerto Rico.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Milaca, Minnesota
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is my first time doing a review on tripadvisor. Our stay at Hectors was an absolutely dream come true for me. We have always traveled in the mountain settings so this was my first trip to the ocean and warm beaches. This far exceeded my expectations. I searched for months on making the perfect vacation for my husband and me. I relied on comments from trip advisor to help me determine where to go and stay. I see now why Hector's by the Sea receives such excellent comments. Mary and Hector are the best!!! Everything went smoothly and they did a great job helping us navigate the area and making us feel at home. If you want to stay at a place that is NON touristy this is it. The stay was quiet and relaxing. We woke up each morning to the sound of the ocean waves, made our coffee and headed to the ocean side with the soft winds keeping us cool. Also if you luv horses, as I do, you will luv this place. Many horses run free around the island, Hector has some horses on the property as well. best of all the Esperanza Riding Company is actually right next to Hector's so when we booked our riding trip (on the beach) we walked just a few feet to meet our horses and our guide Lori-who was wonderful as well. We also booked a sailing/snorkeling trip with Marauders who upgraded our boat to the Vieques Classic Charter which we rode on the Shalamar with captain Sebastian Watt. These people were so accommodating and friendly it was almost too good to be true. They were patient with us being snorkeling beginners and I got a bit sea sick and they were so good about helping me through it. We also went to the bio bay with Abe's and had a great time with them as well. Our guide was so fun and made the trip very memorable. I can't say one bad thing about our week in Vieques. Just remember the island is peaceful, calm and laid back. There are no fast food joints, no tourist traps and no shopping malls. So truly if you want relaxation in a peaceful quiet environment Hector's by the Sea is your place. The rooms are clean and spacious. There is a fridge, coffee pot and microwave so we purchased supplies and the Green Store which saved us a lot of money. There are however some great places to eat within walking distance of our villa. We took a small plane to the island and then took a cab to Hectors with renting a car the next day. Next time I think we will take the ferry to save money (which we can stay a couple more days). You really could get by without renting a car as if you like to walk you could do fine. But it is fun exploring the island which is really easy to navigate once you get you main roads down. I could go on forever but to sum it up-I will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank JJPearson
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Thanks to Trip Advisor, we chose to stay at Hector's by the Sea for four nights in May 2013. I was in contact with Mary (one of the owners) before our trip to arrange everything. The whole booking process was easy and Mary always had a quick reply to my emails. We knew we would be getting to Vieques around 6 or 7 pm so Mary easily made arrangements for us to get into our room.

We arrived and Mary met us and took us up to our room. We chose to stay in the Mango room which is the smallest (and the original!) room they have, and it was exactly what we were looking for. The room is up a short flight of stairs which we liked because of the view. There is a hammock on the porch and offers beautiful views of the water and a big field that was often filled with the wild horses that roam Vieques. Inside the room, there was a bed, table for two, microwave, bathroom, and a dresser. For two people, the room was perfect! Mary showed us around the room, gave us some restaurant suggestions, and then left us to explore.

We came and went as we pleased throughout our four day stay. Mary just requested that we leave the gate to come onto the property how we found it. We enjoyed the beautiful, clean swimming pool and the hot tub while we were there. We also took the short walk down to the beach several times we were there just to walk along the water. There are also horses on the property and mango trees which also added to this great experience!

There is a ceiling fan (which I loved!) and we slept with the windows open several nights enjoying the nightly rains.

Esperanza is just a quick drive from the property and it's where we ate most of our meals. After driving all over the whole island during our stay, we loved the location of Hector's by the Sea and we loved Esperanza.

We could not have been happier with our choice of staying at Hector's by the Sea. I almost didn't want to review it because I didn't want to tell everyone else the great secret! Mary was so accommodating to us, was as hands on as she needed to be, and very hospitable. We will definitely come back to Vieques and we will definitely stay at Hectors by the Sea again.

Room Tip: If you're looking for privacy and and great view, choose the Mango room!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thegretchmyster
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Paradise. Pristine, secluded beaches, including cliffs, cochina, tidal pools, and white and also black sand beaches within short strolls (wear water shoes or good sandals). Cute lodging. Hot tub and swimming pool. Very short drive to the Malecon strip in Esperanza, and bio bay tours, and easy access to Isabelle II and other places on Vieques. Hector and Mary were super nice. Our only regret is that we should have stayed longer at Hector's. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank David_S34242
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We just got back from our two night stay at Hector's, and it was amazing. We were looking for a place out of the ordinary, where we could relax and just enjoy three days of full relaxation. As soon as we got there we were welcomed by Mary who walked us around the property and gave us all the info we needed to get around the island. I was particularly impressed that they provided beach towels, a cooler, and beach chairs for us to take during the day for the duration of our stay (pretty neat if you want ro avoid having to carry heavy stuff on the ferry). The rooms are very well decorated and extremely clean (I'm very picky when it comes to cleanliness!). We also had a tiny cooler in our room, and a small microwave in case we wanted to bring some food back or chill a bottle of wine to have in the afternoons. This place is gorgeous, fantastic ocean views, lovely breeze flowing almost constantly, wild horses grazing the property, and great hospitality. We are definitely looking forward to stay at Hector's in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank VivianMG
Starkville, Mississippi
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in March 2012. Being from "out in the country", we enjoyed the peace and quiet (and the horses). The 1 bedroom was small, but fine for us, as we spent a lot of time exploring the island. Couldn't have asked for a more accommodating host and hostess. We wouldn't dare stay anywhere else!

• Stayed June 2012