“So Good I'm Speechless”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hector's by the Sea
New York City, New York
“So Good I'm Speechless”
Reviewed 11 October 2004

I've been trying to write this review for over a month, feeling like nothing I write could possibly do Hector's by the Sea justice. My boyfriend and I stayed there for a few nights end of August to early September 2004, right around the time that Hurricane Jeanne hit. Even with no electricity for a day, Hector and Mary (our awesome hosts) didn't miss a beat in making us feel safe, secure and altogether happy during our stay. And, with Hector's location in the southern part of Vieques, barely a drop affected us--storms lasted only a few minutes a day. We stayed in the 2nd floor casita, very nicely appointed, private and romantic, with a great Caribbean view. (Then again, there's not one bad view at Hector's.) There's A/C but we only used it one night because of the strong sea breeze, and better to hear the crashing waves. A tip: make sure to rent a 4x4 vehicle--you'll need it to get to Hector's and the best beaches. Great value and location (very close to Esperanza), hosts who treat you like family and a perfect Caribbean island for exploring and/or vegging out. When--not if--I go back, I'll be staying at Hector's.

• Stayed August 2003
6 Thank geddon22

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 August 2004

My fourteen year-old daughter and I just arrived back from a three-day stay at Hector's by the Sea. I was concerned about not having a tv or phone but we didn't miss it one bit! Hector and Mary are great hosts and were helpful with everything from directions, suggestions and even signing us up for the biobay trip (a must see!) and helping with our logistics for the trip back to San Juan. We enjoyed the location; it was almost like having our own private cottage. We loved the horses roaming free and enjoyed feeding them mangoes (they enjoyed it, too!). Definitely would recommend Hector's to anyone of any age!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gurabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 August 2004

I was looking to surprise my family (wife, son- 10 yrs. old, and daughter - 7 yrs. old) with a week-end getaway. I wanted a cozy place and also wanted to give the family an adventure "off the beaten path".
I'm glad to report that everything went according to my plan. This place is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Hector and Mary are beyond delightful!! I think we've just found some new friends for life!!

All other reviews posted here are right on the mark. From the accomodations to the car rental, everything was perfect.

One more thing.. DO NOT miss the Bio-luminiscent bay. It is an out of this world experience!! (Go to it on a waning-to-new-moon phase).

Hector y Mary... Gracias por darnos una experiencia que jamás olvidaremos. De seguro que volveremos!!!

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank rjcollazo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 August 2004

The value of this place is incredible. Large, clean, comfortable rooms with fridge, sink, microwave. Private beach, pool, hot tub. Great view. Close to the restaurant at the Inn at the Blue Horizon. Close to mango eating horses and cute cows. And Hector and Mary are great. We arrived in the late afternoon and they filled us up with free fruity rum drinks till my wife couldnt walk straight. Great company. Soon to add a gate directly to the Blue Horizon restaurant.

• Stayed January 2005