“Hector and Mary: my new second family”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Hector's by the Sea
A TripAdvisor Member
“Hector and Mary: my new second family”
Reviewed 11 November 2004

My girlfriend Lola made the reservations so I had no idea what was in store. Lola only told me that Hector's looked "really cute" from the few photos she found online and that after speaking with Mary, Hector's wife, she was convinced that Hector's by the Sea would the perfect place to stay. She was so right and I have to say, I highly recommend a visit to Hector's. Along with the beaches of Vieques, Hector's was the highlight of our trip. After arriving on the island, it's about a fifteen or twenty minute drive over a small hillside. The road snakes around past houses and local markets and eventually leads over to the town of Esperanza and it's beuatiful little harbor. I suggest that when you give Mary a call to make the reservation, you allow her to rent you a jeep or a car. We didn't take her up on this and we ended up with a very expensive 4X4 that we did not need. About Hector and Mary: from the time we were greeted to our final goodbyes, Hector and Mary never stopped playing the hosts. Personal note: I initally thought Hector was a little intimidating but that quickly dissipated. He somehow reminds me of Marlon Brando: he has this Tuff Exterior but on the inside, he's a Big Soft Teddy Bear (C'mon Hector, you know it's true). Mary: she's equally as amazing, so helpful and so sweet. She and Hector make a great couple and the best hosts. They went out of there way to make us feel at home. Like when I foolishly left a bag in the car while snorkeling and it was stolen. When Lola and I returned to Hector's and told him and Mary what had happened, Hector phoned the police and had them over there taking a report within five minutes. It was amazing. He also took our minds off the theft by making us a few cocktails while we wrote out the items that were stolen. We then took a swim in the pool, and looked out over the warm water of the carribean. While there, sitting in Hector's pool, it felt like somehow, no matter what happened, Hector and Mary would take care of it. If you're thinking of going to Vieques, give them a call, you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2004
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 20 October 2004

I went to Hector's solely based on the reviews posted on this site. My girlfriend and i we're so excited when we got to the complex and saw the view of the ocean. Also, we found the space and the views from the complex exciting. The view from the pool and the jacuzzi is worth the price of admission. Hector and Mary will make you feel like you are home. I plan to go back sometime next year. Bye the way the Beaches in Vieques are amongst the most beutiful in the world. Rent a jeep to see them.

Hope you give Hector a try!!!!

Daniel

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2004

I've been trying to write this review for over a month, feeling like nothing I write could possibly do Hector's by the Sea justice. My boyfriend and I stayed there for a few nights end of August to early September 2004, right around the time that Hurricane Jeanne hit. Even with no electricity for a day, Hector and Mary (our awesome hosts) didn't miss a beat in making us feel safe, secure and altogether happy during our stay. And, with Hector's location in the southern part of Vieques, barely a drop affected us--storms lasted only a few minutes a day. We stayed in the 2nd floor casita, very nicely appointed, private and romantic, with a great Caribbean view. (Then again, there's not one bad view at Hector's.) There's A/C but we only used it one night because of the strong sea breeze, and better to hear the crashing waves. A tip: make sure to rent a 4x4 vehicle--you'll need it to get to Hector's and the best beaches. Great value and location (very close to Esperanza), hosts who treat you like family and a perfect Caribbean island for exploring and/or vegging out. When--not if--I go back, I'll be staying at Hector's.

• Stayed August 2003
6 Thank geddon22
Reviewed 19 August 2004

My fourteen year-old daughter and I just arrived back from a three-day stay at Hector's by the Sea. I was concerned about not having a tv or phone but we didn't miss it one bit! Hector and Mary are great hosts and were helpful with everything from directions, suggestions and even signing us up for the biobay trip (a must see!) and helping with our logistics for the trip back to San Juan. We enjoyed the location; it was almost like having our own private cottage. We loved the horses roaming free and enjoyed feeding them mangoes (they enjoyed it, too!). Definitely would recommend Hector's to anyone of any age!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Gurabo, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 18 August 2004

I was looking to surprise my family (wife, son- 10 yrs. old, and daughter - 7 yrs. old) with a week-end getaway. I wanted a cozy place and also wanted to give the family an adventure "off the beaten path".
I'm glad to report that everything went according to my plan. This place is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Hector and Mary are beyond delightful!! I think we've just found some new friends for life!!

All other reviews posted here are right on the mark. From the accomodations to the car rental, everything was perfect.

One more thing.. DO NOT miss the Bio-luminiscent bay. It is an out of this world experience!! (Go to it on a waning-to-new-moon phase).

Hector y Mary... Gracias por darnos una experiencia que jamás olvidaremos. De seguro que volveremos!!!

• Stayed August 2004
2 Thank rjcollazo
Reviewed 15 August 2004

The value of this place is incredible. Large, clean, comfortable rooms with fridge, sink, microwave. Private beach, pool, hot tub. Great view. Close to the restaurant at the Inn at the Blue Horizon. Close to mango eating horses and cute cows. And Hector and Mary are great. We arrived in the late afternoon and they filled us up with free fruity rum drinks till my wife couldnt walk straight. Great company. Soon to add a gate directly to the Blue Horizon restaurant.

• Stayed January 2005