“Helpful hosts, relaxing place- perfect for us”
Review of Esperanza Inn

Esperanza Inn
Reviewed 1 July 2009

My family (and a second family) just returned from our first visit to Vieques. The Esperanza Inn really helped make the vacation a great one. Betweeen the 8 of us, we rented both the 2 and 1 bedroom apartments.The apartments had a nice kitchen, access to great sun decks, a pool, and very productive mango trees. The Innkeepers were very friendly and full of great tips for enjoying the Island. The small pool was perfect for cooling off in, and the location was very convenient with a bakery and two small grocery stores a block away. The beaches are very close, but i would recommend renting a car to allow for exploring the more distant ones. This Inn was really a find-- I highly recommmend it as a comfortable, attractive and safe base for a Vieques vacation.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 June 2009

Recently my husband and I (Puerto Rico local residents) decided to support our local tourism and spent a weekend getaway with our two kids (9yr boy and 4yr girl) in our sister island of Vieques. I choose the Esperanza Inn as result of my Internet search. On the Good side, it is a well kept place, clean and within a walking distance to the Malecon tourist's area. On the bad side, THEY Don't Treat Well Local Guest. First, The Innkeeper does not speak our Main language, Spanish. Fortunately , my husband and I are Bilingual. At the arriving and after checking inn our kids wanted to enjoy the pool right away. Later, my hubby but told me that he was feeling "uncomfortable " because the employee told him (more than once) that besides showering they "should wash their feet before entering the pool" and they already have done it. Besides the pool, we only use the facilities to sleep because we went there to enjoy the island. We love the Bio Bay kayaking experience, the Malecon tourist / dining area and Sun Bay beach. Our last day, we WALK (15 min.) to the beautiful Sun Bay beach area. Our daughter lose her sandals so we spent a little extra time looking for it and we lose track of time. At 11:08 AM we receive a phone call from our Innkeeper telling us in a "FIRM and STRICT tone" that "she was taking our personal belongings out of the room because we past the check out time". I ask her for a late check out FEE which "was not available because she has to clean the room for other guest". We arrive by WALKING WITH TWO KIDS, to the facility at 11:17 a.m. just TO found our luggage OUT of the room. The Innkeeper "offer us " an outside bathroom. My son was looking for a lanter the crew of the Bio Bay Kayaking has given him and SHE does not allow him to enter and suggest that we should look at the trash. In other word, the trip end with a bad taste feeling!! I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE PAST THE CHECK OUT TIME (ONLY BY MINUTES A PART), BUT THE INNKEEPER COULD CHARGE US AN EXTRA FEE FOR THAT EXTRA HOUR AND NOT KICK US OUT LIKE THAT. THAT IS NOT A RESPECTFUL WAY TO TREAT A GUEST!!! By the way, there was not incoming guest waiting, and the check in time was a 3PM so she has plenty of time to clean the room. I most certainly will not recommend this place to a friend!! And to the Innkeeper, If you are not treating local guest respectfully, the same way as you treat "foreign" guest, you should pack your business manner and go back to your country!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank NiceGirlBayamon
Reviewed 8 June 2009

The Esperanza Inn is a wonderful place in which to stay when you are in Vieques. It is right in the Malecón area at Esperanza. The rooms are big, comfortable and very, very clean. Lisa and her husband have thought about everything so that our stay was most pleasant, up to the very last moment. The day we left we had a sailing trip from 9:00am to 3:00pm. We had to check out before leaving for the sailing trip, but they took care of our luggage and provided a bathroom with a shower and all we needed to freshen up after the sailing tiip. All in all, you could not ask for a better place to stay or nicer people to help you while in Vieques.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TitoPuertoRico
Reviewed 1 June 2009

My husband and I began a week long trip to celebrate our 10 year anniversary with 3 nights at the Esperanza Inn. What a PERFECT location! The Esperanza is only 2 "houses" from the ocean and main strip, and even a bakery and small grocery store are about 1/2 block away. The staff (Noel and Neville) were very helpful and offered up great suggestions for food and the best beaches. Don't miss blue beach and orchid beach! BEAUTIFUL! We stayed in the Casita and felt like we were the only one's there. The room was perfectly clean and bed was comfy! Enjoy this town, it is spectacular! Do the bio bay tour, Abe's was fun! Being from FL, we decided that Esperanza is like a chilled out and scaled back Key West, without the crazy tourists!!!

Reviewed 30 May 2009

I've been fortunate in making the right choices for my vacations. I do a lot of reading before I select a destination, and even more research before I choose a place to stay. I'm happy to say my luck continued with my vacation in Vieques in May. The Esperanza was the perfect location to begin our daily explorations of this wonderful island, and at the end of the day, we were near town where we relaxed and had dinner. Noises in the middle of the night were caused by the free-ranging horses, chickens, and other wildlife that add to the rustic beauty of Vieques. Thanks! We'll be back.

1  Thank FMtravel
Reviewed 25 May 2009

We spent four nights in April here and loved every minute of it! We had a queen bedroom downstairs which was fine for the two of us. Our room opened into a small outdoor sitting area which we enjoyed. We loved having a fully equipped kitchen nearby and enjoyed fresh coffee each morning. We did not cook there, but you could easily prepare simple meals there plus they have a grill. On our next trip in Dec. we plan to take more advantage of the kitchen and grill. We loved being able to select free beach stuff since we were limited in what we brought. I used their snorkeling gear, chairs, and floats each day. Also, nice is a basket of goodies free to use such as lotions, sunscreen, shampoo. We used their free laundry one night to get cleaned up! The location is ideal--within walking distance to the small village of Esperanza. We did not have a car at first so it was important to be able to get to beaches, shops, and restaurants. The hosts provided us with invaluable information about the island. We have reservations to return to this paradise in December.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AtlantaPenny
Reviewed 16 May 2009

The inn was great for our stay on Vieques. The rooms are clean... nothing fancy, but very comfortable, roomy, and included everything we needed. The inn is located just off the Malecon in Esperanza, so it was convenient to our snorkel trip meeting place (go with Abe's!), good restaurants, beautiful boardwalk & beach, and cute little shops. We didn't get to speak with the owners much, but the other couple that works on the property were very kind & informative with any questions we had. As far as I know, all of the rooms have A/C, which is unusual for properties in this price range on Vieques, and believe me, you'll need it.
The only possible downsides... we did have some mosquitos in our room and can't seem to figure out how they got inside. The neighboring lot has chickens (as do many people in Vieques) and the roosters crow quite early in the morning and randomly throughout the day. We found it somewhat amusing actually, but it might wake light sleepers in the morning. And that lot also includes the remains of a building. However, there is a tall privacy fence between the two properties, so the only time you notice this is when walking past it. It didn't really bother us.
Value-wise you can't beat this place, and we would definitely stay there again.

1  Thank lyndseyk