“Cozy and Authentic Guesthouse”
Review of Casa de Amistad

Casa de Amistad
Brooklyn, New York, Usa
“Cozy and Authentic Guesthouse”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Casa de Amistad is hands-down the best place to stay if you want the comfort of a cozy Vieques home while traveling abroad, without paying a ridiculous amount for an unnecessarily luxurious hotel that's closed off from the rest of the island. If you're down to earth, and in search of a more local and authentic experience during your stay in Vieques, I could not recommend a better place than this.

I traveled alone on a very tight budget, and I know I couldn't have found a better deal or a more comfortable, cozy, and accommodating place to stay than Casa de Amistad. The owners, Owen and David, were extremely kind and generous. When my flight got delayed and I arrived way past check-in time, Owen drove to the airport in the middle of the night to pick me up himself and drive me back to the guesthouse. Once we arrived, I was welcomed to a clean, comfortable, and cool room, as he had readied the air-conditioner for me an hour earlier. By the end of my trip, I had woken up late and missed my flight out of the island. It was a disaster and I was of course panicking, but Owen was calm and gracious enough to take time out of his busy schedule to help me book another flight out in time to make my connecting flight. David then drove me to the airport as fast as he could, and I had time to spare!

Other pluses: This place is very close to the ferry, and also to some great restaurants. There are a few small markets in the area from which you can buy groceries to cook yourself - Casa de Amistad has a lovely kitchen that is fully stocked with condiments, spices, utensils, and cookware/dishware to prepare your own meals. There's also a dining area, an honor-system fridge stocked w/ beer and water, an entertainment room with books and TV, a lovely outdoor patio, and a spacious veranda with couches and decorated w/ lanterns.

Overall, Casa de Amistad is a lovely and extremely comfortable place to stay. I would choose this place over any unnecessary and overpriced hotel on the island. Owen and David made my trip luxurious in a way I never expected!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Summertown, Tennessee
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this very friendly guesthouse! Owen was extremely helpful and always smiling. He was very available, very friendly, ready with advice, but also not at all pushy or in your business. He was perfect.

We stayed in Room 5, which has a separate bathroom. If I had to do it again, I would get a room with an en suite bathroom, only because the bathroom was hot and humid during our August stay. Otherwise, the room was clean, comfortable, and quite adequate. I locked my bathroom keys in the bathroom one evening about 9 pm and called Owen, who lives right across the alley out back. He very cheerfully came immediately over to open the door for me, commenting about how he'd done something similar to make me feel better. So sweet!

Everything was extremely clean and well-kept. The provided beach chairs, beach towels, and coolers were very convenient (and also always clean!) We used the snorkel gear ($10 per day) one day also and that was great. The courtyard and pool are beautiful and relaxing.

I really enjoyed staying in Isabel II as opposed to Esperanza. I loved walking around the town and exploring. The town watering hole (Al's), several restaurants, a bakery, a coffee shop, a grocery, some shops, and the ferry terminal are in very easy walking distance. A rental car is highly recommended for visiting the beaches and restaurants, bars, etc. in Esperanza.

I would absolutely stay again at Casa de Amistad if we return to Vieques!

Room Tip: Room 5 has a separate bathroom which does not have A/C. (The room has great A/C, but the bathroom w...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaraPeachick
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Casa de Amistad is a beautiful, chic and cozy guesthouse. We felt at home since we first came in. Amistad means friendship in spanish and it really feels like it there. Our room was really nice, it had the bathroom separate but it was comfortable and close enough to our room. Pool and communal areas are nice. Great place to relax and meet a new friends. Best place to stay in Vieques. Going back for sure. Had such a good time

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Ended up on the island without a place to stay, we met Owen having a drink at a bar. This guy is so nice and accommodating. Building is super cool. Communal kitchen and outside pool area are really nice. Rooms exceeded our expectations for the price. Would definitely stay here again if the chance arose again!

Room Tip: some rooms have detached private bathrooms, not a terrible thing. We got lucky though.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We made our fourth trip to Vieques in April and stayed at Casa de Amistad for ten days. Each year it just gets better. The location is perfect for walking to dinner at night. The rooms are always clean and neat...cant wait to stay in the new bungalows next year.
Owen and Dave make it so easy when you stay at Casa de Amistad that there is no reason to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: Room seven has a private entrance in the front and will likely be quieter than the upstairs rooms if...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

My bride and I just stayed at Casa de Amistad and loved it. It was a welcoming, comfortable retreat in Vieques. We were in easy walking distance of stores, restaurants, the ferry dock, and the town square, and could see the fort from the upstairs front porch. The courtyard with the small pool in back was delightful to relax in with morning coffee or in the evening after a long day at all the beaches. We will definitely come back!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 5 and enjoyed its balcony and en suite bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pete T
Silver Spring, Maryland
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Stayed at Casa de Amistad for 3 nights. This hotel far exceeded my expectations. It's clean, quiet, cute, and friendly. Everything is lovely about this place. There is a/c in each room, the common kitchen is great, and having breakfast by the pool is very relaxing. It's the perfect way to start the day in Vieques. Great ambiance. You can rent snorkeling material and beach towels for almost nothing, and owners are very friendly.

I don't know what the other hotels are like in the area, but you can't go wrong with this one.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple