“Modern Chick (Room 9) in Isabel Segunda”
Review of Casa de Amistad

Casa de Amistad
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We spent two nights at the Casa from the 13th to the 15th of September. We stayed in one of the newly built rooms in the patio behind the pool - room number 9. It was fantastic! Very spacious, large bed, nice furniture, huge bath room, shower with natural lighting from the roof and the wall, and a well-functioning A/C.
The overall service is exceptional. You can rent snorkel gear, beach towels, and you get free coffee, sunshades, cooling bag, and body board for the beach. The communal kitchen is very well equipped. However, we never made use of it.
The patio by the pool is great for breakfast or to enjoy an evening beer or wine. We also plunched into the pool which was very refreshing.
Since we came over to Vieques by ferry (yes, we took the ferry and it was a great experience:-) the location of the Casa is very convenient. Just two blocks away from the ferry station.
We rented a car at Maritza's and they picked us up and brought us back to the Casa. So, no problem with that.

Room Tip: The newly built rooms 8 and 9 are a great choice for couples that want some comfort.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sascha F

Reviewed 6 September 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Casa de Amistad 8/30 through 9/2, what a fantastic experience! We stayed in Room 4. It was a great size for the two of us and the balcony was perfect for drying out our snorkeling gear! It was clean, the air conditioning worked well, and it was well decorated. If I had to suggest one thing it would be to put a small dresser in the room (or something with drawers to put clothes in).

The guesthouse had beach chairs, coolers, and beach towels for guests to use and snorkel gear to rent. It was fantastic to be able to use the kitchen, we even enjoyed some fresh avocados that Owen told us we should eat. Owen was extremely friendly and helpful; he gave us plenty of tips and ideas!

Loved our stay here! If you're on a budget, I would recommend basing yourself out of Isabel Segunda because there are amenities here and the beaches aren't far away. It was great to be able to walk to the supermarket from Casa de Amistad!

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Casa de Amistad is hands-down the best place to stay if you want the comfort of a cozy Vieques home while traveling abroad, without paying a ridiculous amount for an unnecessarily luxurious hotel that's closed off from the rest of the island. If you're down to earth, and in search of a more local and authentic experience during your stay in Vieques, I could not recommend a better place than this.

I traveled alone on a very tight budget, and I know I couldn't have found a better deal or a more comfortable, cozy, and accommodating place to stay than Casa de Amistad. The owners, Owen and David, were extremely kind and generous. When my flight got delayed and I arrived way past check-in time, Owen drove to the airport in the middle of the night to pick me up himself and drive me back to the guesthouse. Once we arrived, I was welcomed to a clean, comfortable, and cool room, as he had readied the air-conditioner for me an hour earlier. By the end of my trip, I had woken up late and missed my flight out of the island. It was a disaster and I was of course panicking, but Owen was calm and gracious enough to take time out of his busy schedule to help me book another flight out in time to make my connecting flight. David then drove me to the airport as fast as he could, and I had time to spare!

Other pluses: This place is very close to the ferry, and also to some great restaurants. There are a few small markets in the area from which you can buy groceries to cook yourself - Casa de Amistad has a lovely kitchen that is fully stocked with condiments, spices, utensils, and cookware/dishware to prepare your own meals. There's also a dining area, an honor-system fridge stocked w/ beer and water, an entertainment room with books and TV, a lovely outdoor patio, and a spacious veranda with couches and decorated w/ lanterns.

Overall, Casa de Amistad is a lovely and extremely comfortable place to stay. I would choose this place over any unnecessary and overpriced hotel on the island. Owen and David made my trip luxurious in a way I never expected!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this very friendly guesthouse! Owen was extremely helpful and always smiling. He was very available, very friendly, ready with advice, but also not at all pushy or in your business. He was perfect.

We stayed in Room 5, which has a separate bathroom. If I had to do it again, I would get a room with an en suite bathroom, only because the bathroom was hot and humid during our August stay. Otherwise, the room was clean, comfortable, and quite adequate. I locked my bathroom keys in the bathroom one evening about 9 pm and called Owen, who lives right across the alley out back. He very cheerfully came immediately over to open the door for me, commenting about how he'd done something similar to make me feel better. So sweet!

Everything was extremely clean and well-kept. The provided beach chairs, beach towels, and coolers were very convenient (and also always clean!) We used the snorkel gear ($10 per day) one day also and that was great. The courtyard and pool are beautiful and relaxing.

I really enjoyed staying in Isabel II as opposed to Esperanza. I loved walking around the town and exploring. The town watering hole (Al's), several restaurants, a bakery, a coffee shop, a grocery, some shops, and the ferry terminal are in very easy walking distance. A rental car is highly recommended for visiting the beaches and restaurants, bars, etc. in Esperanza.

I would absolutely stay again at Casa de Amistad if we return to Vieques!

Room Tip: Room 5 has a separate bathroom which does not have A/C. (The room has great A/C, but the bathroom w...
1  Thank CaraPeachick
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Casa de Amistad is a beautiful, chic and cozy guesthouse. We felt at home since we first came in. Amistad means friendship in spanish and it really feels like it there. Our room was really nice, it had the bathroom separate but it was comfortable and close enough to our room. Pool and communal areas are nice. Great place to relax and meet a new friends. Best place to stay in Vieques. Going back for sure. Had such a good time

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Ended up on the island without a place to stay, we met Owen having a drink at a bar. This guy is so nice and accommodating. Building is super cool. Communal kitchen and outside pool area are really nice. Rooms exceeded our expectations for the price. Would definitely stay here again if the chance arose again!

Room Tip: some rooms have detached private bathrooms, not a terrible thing. We got lucky though.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We made our fourth trip to Vieques in April and stayed at Casa de Amistad for ten days. Each year it just gets better. The location is perfect for walking to dinner at night. The rooms are always clean and neat...cant wait to stay in the new bungalows next year.
Owen and Dave make it so easy when you stay at Casa de Amistad that there is no reason to go anywhere else.

Room Tip: Room seven has a private entrance in the front and will likely be quieter than the upstairs rooms if...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
#3 of 5 in Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza

Been to Casa de Amistad? Share your experiences!