Great Escape
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
US$213
US$180
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
US$195
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
US$182
Travelocity
US$162
Hotwire.com
  • Pool
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
TripAdvisor
All reviewsincluded dailyevery morningbed and breakfastprivate bathpuerto ricooff the beaten pathbioluminescent baydanacerealesperanzaislandpropertyoceanviequesbeaches
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 February 2006

We spent a wonderful and excellent time at Great Escape! We have never experienced a more warm-hearted reception. The owner, Dana, really knows what excellent service means.
She has a helping hand for almost any problem you may enconter during your stay. And you won't find a reminder on that help on your bill afterwards ;-) - like in most other accommodations over there.
We spent almost four weeks at SVI, but Great Escape was by far the best place.

• Stayed: December 2005
1  Thank Kurtito
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2006

This guest house was better than expected. Mainly because of the great service offered by Dana, who runs the guesthouse.
The place is a real escape, it is in the middle of the island and you really feel you are away from it all. So, yes, you hear animals, but that's all part of this great, mostly undiscovered island. The owner of the guesthouse even offered us a small music device that helps you sleep in case you hear the animals too much (which you don't).
The inn is very cute and well taken care off. The rooms are clean, breakfast is great and the pool and gardens are all that you need to have a relaxed holiday. The guest house is centrally located (you do need a jeep to get there, as well as to get to the beaches). When we were enjoying the stars in one of the chairs at the pool, Dana even came up to us to say that there were a couple of places left for the Biobay, which gave us the opportunity to explore the bay with just a few people and not with the crowds. Vieques is great if you love nature, and the Great Escape was definitely the best place to stay!

• Stayed: January 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York, New York
Reviewed 2 January 2006

If you have expectations beyond a bare bones European motel, don't bother with this place. (BTW: the review in Frommers is completely off base). The walls are paper thin, and since the roosters wake the guests at 7am, the thin walls will make sure that either the roosters or the guests will wake you up, and keep you up. It is not unlike hearing several conversations in your ear as you try to sleep. Not that I slept much - the bed was pretty horrible - hard as a rock. The bathrooms are bordering on gross, and there was a bug in my bed when I got out of it the next morning.

Moreover, do not rely on the owners to be honest about the accomodations they have available. I specifically asked for a one bedroom suite with a king bed. A few days before my trip, the owners called me and said the suite was no longer available, but I was assured that they had a nice room with a king sized bed. When I arrived, the owner told me she didn't know if the king bed room was available, and when I was shown my room, the bed was a full size, and the room itself was a closet - barely enough space for two people to walk. After staying one night, it became very clear that the staff was playing games with the rooms they had, switching people here and there in order to maximize the number of people they could fit. When I complained, explaining that I was not given what I had been promised, I was told I could leave and would be charged for the full 5 day reservation I had made. I found the owner's dishonesty insulting, immoral, and probably illegal, and would not recommend this accommodation.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member