“Fantastic!”
Review of Casa La Lanchita

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Casa La Lanchita
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We found La Lanchita to be one of the nicest places we've stayed. The owners, Doug and Mary Kay, were gracious hosts. The location is unbeatable, right on the ocean. It is a great place to relax and enjoy the beauty of the island. My wife and I highly recommend it. We will be back next year.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Casa La Lanchita

Reviewed 4 January 2013

We recently stayed here and fell in love with this place. We had a beautiful ocean view and a kitchen if we decided to cook. The owners are warm and helpful and will even pick you up at the ferry terminal if needed. They also have jeeps to rent so that you can explore this very small island. Casa La Lanchita is the perfect place to stay on the island.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2013

If your looking for a magical ocean front suite hotel, then look no further. The La Lanchita will sweep you off your feet. Breathtaking views, constant ocean breeze, 1 or 2 bedroom suites with complete full kitchens, all suite have outside seating where you can have your breakfast or any meal while enjoying the ocean views. Located right smack on the ocean where you can take a leisurely stroll or even snorkel. The La Lanchita has everything you need which includes beach chairs, towels, coolers and even beach toy's. They have a free laundry on site, and a popular library. The McKool's are the best Inkeepers you'll ever find. Doug will greet you with his special rum punch and give you a run down on what's new on Vieques. They also rent Jeeps right at the La Lanchita. We have visited Vieques several times and would never consider staying anywhere else.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2012

This is located on the Ocean! That is the biggest plus the property has going for it. Also, there is a pool with a wonderful view out over the ocean. The hotel has a jeep for each room at a reasonable price. The Owners are very nice and great you with a smile and share all they can about the island. The island is wonderful! ( don’t tell anyone lol )

The property – well this is a property that the owners have obviously owned for a while and its showing. The property is wearing down – you can only go so long without doing maintenance. For the prices they are charging, Yes I expect much better! If this was a $50/night accommodation, I would accept the pit falls of this property.
However they are charging a good buck for the rental and they don’t put forth the effort to be worth that price.
In the room –
Old furniture, unkempt, dirty / filthy seats
Dresser to put your clothes in – no don’t open it! Most draws are broken and dirty.
Kitchen – clean everything before you use it!
Refrigerator – not cleaned in the last 6 months.
Bathroom – Yuck, Yuck and yuck. Moldy, dirty, - Yuck!
Bedroom – Wash the sheets and bedspread before you sleep on them.
Pool – nice pool, water was clean – I thoroughly enjoyed.
Pool chairs – broken, falling apart etc.
Beach Chairs / Umbrella / Cooler – Wonderful!!! (Thanks!! )
Jeep – Older but perfect for the island. If you rent a bran new Jeep – expect to pay for scrapes in the paint. It got me around just fine and at $40/day it meet my needs very well.

Yes, I spoke to the management. The Daughter was left in charge. She does not care and you are purely inconveniencing her to even be present at the property. She informed me that its kind of an place that your on your own to do the things that are needed during your stay. There is a laundry room and plenty of sheets and cleaning supplies that you are more than welcome to utilize to improve your comfort.
Her Parents that own the place – well they left for a few weeks shortly after I arrived. They were nice, but they are not minding the ship!
And the Daughter – could care less about the place!

Yes, I did my own laundry and some cleaning – What??? This is my vacation and I am paying for a decent place to stay.

I have stayed in many types of places, No I was not expecting the Ritz, but I have stayed in Mom & Pap type places in Culebra – semi similar… As a comparative, this was a bad deal. Way over priced for what it was.

Room Tip: Select another location to stay.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OBeeJay
Reviewed 21 November 2012

This was one of the nicest places we stayed in while on our trip to Puerto Rico. The owners and caretaker are the friendliest and most accommodating people around.
Right on the water, the breezes and scenery were heavenly.
Great location, easy to get to. They evdn rent cars!
Loved it, can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 7 November 2012

This hotel left two customers completely alone when the staff went home one night.
Since the caretaker never bothered to answer her cell phone (I was later told service is difficult) she never even knew I was there for an second night. The other customer was a couple with a young child and I dreaded the thought of what we would have done had either us had some kind of accident (they have a pool right off the ocean) or other emergency late that night.
Its a hotel with many steps so not easily accessible for older folks, especially if you have to spend time tracking down an employee. If you have no car you had better have brought some food with you as there isn't even coffee in the room or a vending machine. Most taxi's I called that evening were busy so I continued to call the numbers written on the office door until I got a response from the New York owner, "I'm at a football game, what am I suppose to do?" I was dumbfounded.
An employee finally returned to take me down the road to a restaurant for take out.
Upset that I called her boss she made it sound like there was nothing open on the island but having spoken with taxi drivers the day before, I knew for a fact there were a number of places that stay open late.
The place is quaint and if they gave it a simple makeover with new beds, linens and
a coffee maker, it could be a very nice place but with the current service none of that
would matter.

Room Tip: Great views but I could not recommend it
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank muneca200
Reviewed 30 October 2012

This hotel located close to the ferry port wasn't my first choice but I'm glad I stayed there. All the rooms have great views of the ocean, and the best part was the awesome snorkeling just to the right of the property. I could not believe how amazing the reef was. It was so alive and colorful with the coral and the abundance of fish. I spent 1 day going to the reef 3 times, that's how wonderful the experience was. The property does not have a sandy beach, so not a good choice if you have small kids who like to play in the ocean. To get in the water you have to navigate a rocky beach. Make sure you wear booties.

The rooms themselves all come with a stocked kitchen. So if you choose to, you can cook your own meals. You also have access to any necessary beach items for free. You can also rent an SUV during your stay for about $40 a day. Its an older truck but adequate enough and cheaper than renting with Maritza's car rental.

The rooms are dated, but there is air conditioning and television with HBO. If you are the picky type and require absolute cleanliness, this place may not be for you.

Vieques, and primarily the north coast does not have a lot of restaurant options. Be prepared to drive to Esperanza for any decent meals. If you want to save money you can purchase food items in the grocery store located close to the port.

During my two day stay, the ocean was the calmest on the north coast. Not sure if it was the norm, but the south coast was super wavy.

Even though the island is small, it takes time to get from one destination to another because its not a straight shot and the roads are very narrow. Driving is very scary at night, no lights and narrow, pitted roads can make for an interesting experience.

Overall a great place to stay as long as your not looking for luxury.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends