“Excellent place”
Review of SeaGate Hotel

SeaGate Hotel
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Our second floor room was wonderful. Comfortable bed and relaxing balcony with beautiful views. Hotel is within walking distance to restaurants but definitely need a car to explore the island. We rented a vehicle from Penny, which I would only recommend if you have no other option. Our jeep wouldn't start when we went out to use it. Penny found us another one- it ran, but barely. Overall though this place is awesome and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 December 2011

Peggey - the owner, and Topher - the concierge - are simply the best. Ive stayed at B&Bs before and never felt this "at home". They helped us find a rental car, when we couldnt get one directly from any of the rental companies - I dont know how!! And They drove us around town till we got it [Its a small island, and the few rental cars there rent out quickly - so book ahead!]. They even showed us around!! We cant comment enough on how awesome these people are.

The room itself has views of the island and the old fort. Esperanza, the south side of the island is a nicer place for strolling around in the evening in my opinion, and all the nicer beaches are there as well - but you absolutely need a car to get around on this island, so living here worked out perfectly for us after all. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I must say, when I first got off the "lancha" I wasn't expecting too much. But as soon as I got to Seagate Hotel, I knew I made the right choice. The place is a hidden gem. The rooms are so warm and cozy. Beautiful views, and great service. But what really made the stay so good was Tofer and Penny. Two of the nicest people I've ever met. It was a pleasure meeting them. Im already starting to plan my next trip with my wife for easter weekend and will definitely stay at seagate. One again, Penny and Tofer, great Duo! Thanks a million.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Omarcflrr
Reviewed 15 November 2011

A wonderful very friendly place to go. I ,like many others always wanted to ride a horse on an ocean beach. I have been around horses all my life, and the Penny and her group have given me the opportunity to live my dream. With well mannered horses, riding down the streets, the ocean beaches, the hilltops were we can see far at the beauty of the island, along with Rueben who was our awesome guide. And a big thanks to my brother who all made it happen , which in 2009 I donated one of my kidneys to him. I can't say enough about this great place if you want to horseback ride on the beaches. I will be back one day for sure.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2011

Wonderful, peaceful, accommodating with great views. Penney and her kind crew really went all the way to help make my work trip into more like a vacation.

Best horseback riding- ever! 2 1/2 hrs of highly diversified terrain - down picturesque back streets of Vieques lined with colorful flowers of all description - and across open fields and paddocks, winding further down to the Atlantic Coast to follow the edge of the shore and occasionally sallying forth into the ocean! Back up into the hills, through the soft horse-high brush and onto several perches where each rider was treated to outstanding views of Culebra and St. John. The clarity of the day eventually gave way to a cooling light drizzle. My mount edged forward, increasing speed as he drew us closer to home (and food!) and I let him have his way, full tilt! Wow, did we fly. - Donald Davidson

Room Tip: Look at the photos on their web site. They are all great.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank donalddepicts
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My buddy and I did an eleven A.M. horseback riding trip with the nice folks at the SeaGate hotel. Penney was a fantastic host and our guides were splendid. We went for a beautiful two hour ride through the northern beaches and hills. Would highly recommend to anyone who wants to explore the island. The horses are also quite gentle and suitable for riders of all ages/skills.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Charles L
Reviewed 18 September 2011

This is a place we recommend as an affordable option to stay in Vieques. We usually stay at Sea Gate whenever we visit la Isla Nena. Penney, the owner does her best to keep the place welcoming and charming. Since our last time there there´s a new office that´s more convenient for guests when they check in and out. The owner used to give us a ride to the beach and other places,and we would receive breakfast in our room; however that was not offered this time. It seemed things are busier these days. We missed the more personalized treatment from years ago. There is a small fridge in the office where you can get some food in the morning and Penney offers a few threats. Horse rides are still available. We were able to get transportation to Red Beach after Penney gave us some numbers.

In regards to the rooms, they were clean and with a distinctive tropical touch. We like to stay here also because you can cook and prepare food in your room as you have a stove and fridge to use. The place was quiet and guests were not loud at night. We also noticed that there are not many dogs around like they used to. The owner has a strong heart for animal protection. She used to have more dogs, but it seems like many people criticized that.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Esperanza
Club Seabourne
Club Seabourne
#1 of 4 in Culebra

Been to SeaGate Hotel? Share your experiences!