“Our family LOVED the SeaGate Hotel!”
Review of SeaGate Hotel

SeaGate Hotel
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We spent two nights in March, 2014 at the SeaGate in the cottage and had an excellent time. It is not fancy in a resort way, but the view and the grounds are beautiful. The cottage is simple, but it is exactly what we needed. The staff was wonderful and informative about what to do on the island. They even loaned us towels to take to the beach. We took advantage of the horseback riding offered which allowed us to see a variety of things of the island we would have missed if we were in the car. We rented a jeep at the airport and the hotel was less than 10 minutes away. There are plenty of dogs to love, roosters to sing to you, and horses to pet. Our kids loved all of the wildlife. If you do go to Culebra, go to the end of the wildlife refuge (it is a long bumpy road) and go snorkeling. It was beautiful! I would definitely stay at the SeaGate again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

A good place for a traveller who doesn't need frills. I'd recommend spending the ten bucks or so to go from here to beaches in Esperanza, as they're nicer and more accessible than ones closerby. Penny and the other staff were friendly and Penny even woke up really early in the morning to drive us to the first ferry. The stray dogs- or maybe pet dogs- who were roaming around the property, in my opinion are kind of gross, but I think you see that in a lot of places in Puerto Rico and elsewhere. We were in a room called "captain's quarters" and it was fully stocked with a mini kitchen, sitting area, and private balcony. I would probably recommend staying in Esperanza if you're there to go to the beaches, but if for some reason you want to stay inland or closer to the ferry, I would recommend staying here.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank elizamk
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here during our honeymoon in April of 2013 and we couldn't have been happier! Penny picked us up at the docks and gave us a brief tour of the island on the way to the SeaGate. The SeaGate is a stone's throw away from Fort Conde de Mirasol. As others have pointed out, the SeaGate's horses, dogs, and lizards add to its charm. The rooms were clean and in good repair. Penny was a wealth of information! I can't recommend the SeaGate high enough if you're looking for a cozy atmosphere at a great price!!!

Room Tip: Though they do have a "swimming hole", plan on doing your swimming at the beach. After al...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

My wife and I stayed here In January 2014 and we are very glad we did.

Let me first say, if you are expecting 5 star accommodations and peace and quiet this is not the place for you (nor is Vieques). If you are expecting a down to earth, friendly place with lots of animals and a good feel for Vieques this place is ideal. We were, however, surprised at the time of night (we always thought the morning) that the roosters started crowing. Around 2 or 3 am. However, after the second night we were used to them and it did not bother us. Keep in mind, anywhere you stay on the island you will get the rooster affect, not just here.

Penny is a great hostess and very accommodating. She picked us up from the airport and the next day took us to get our jeep rental. We also planned on spending some time on the beaches and Penny offered us to use a couple of beach chairs. We were also pleasantly surprised to see that there were a couple of coolers outside of our room that we could use. I do appreciate her willing to accommodate but think she needs to just say "no" and quit putting the extra stress on herself as it appeared some folks take advantage of her friendliness.

The bed was comfortable and large (I think a King), the shower worked fine and the kitchen had everything you needed (and if it didn't I am sure Penny would help with anything you may need). Our room had a great views. Penny offers a continental type breakfast and we enjoyed visiting with her and other guests before we headed out each morning.

The island is full of horses, everywhere. Be careful when driving as they are in the town as well as everywhere else.

There are many taxis and they are very reasonably priced. However, I highly suggest you rent a jeep (yes, spend the extra money and the women use a sports bra) and explore the island as many roads are not accessible without one. My wife and I went to a few beaches that we would never had seen without one.

The hotel is located towards the top of hill just a 5 to 10 minute walk from town.

We were surprised at the number of homeless dogs throughout the island and Puerto Rico in general. We were never bothered by them and they were not aggressive, just sad to see so many.

Not on Trip Advisor is a little (very little) restaurant near the ferry called El Serrucho. They have great breakfast type sandwiches. They are only open in the AM.

My wife and I like to travel and to date have not visited the same place twice. However, if we ever make it back down we will defiantly stay with Penny again.

Room Tip: Remember this is not a 5 star Hotel - those needing those accommodations stay away from the Island...
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Penny is one of the best hosts I have ever met. She is friendly, accomodating and personable. All the information she provided was really helpful for us to navigate the island. The hotel is located very close to the ferry terminal (almost walking distance, but she picked us up at the ferry, on time - the very first on-time experience in Puerto Rico) and close to restaurants, and stores. The facility is old overall but clean and comfortable and we were happy to have found this place. If you are looking for a modern/ five star hotel, this is not the place for you, but if you are looking for a place that is clean, comfortable with friendly staff, this is a great place.

1  Thank skbf3
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We stayed at the SeaGate in January, 2014. This place is so cool. You are no more than 10 minutes from anything. This was the best value on the island and the staff was great. Penny drove us around to several places. She was friendly and so was the rest of the staff. I would go back here in a heartbeat. My only complaint is that there is a nearby rooster that was cawing for a lot of the night. I'm not sure there is a building on Viequez that is not within close proximity to a rooster. They are all over the island.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

we stayed in vieques one night to do a biobay tour. we took the ferry from Fajardo and the hotel staff picked us up directly from the ferry. Penny was very helpful and provided us with a map and all the info we needed to get around; she even called our cab for us to get to the tour. the facility had a very "homey" feel and the roosters on property weren't as bothersome as we had expected after having read other reviews. the bed was so comfortable and the bathroom was clean. the location is far from the main city/beach area so you 'll have to take a cab, which was about $7-10/person. continental breakfast was decent, cereal, eggs, danishes, and fruit. we left wishing we could stay longer. note: she has several dogs on property, just fyi for anyone who might be scared of them (they are super sweet)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#3 of 7 in Rincon
Bravo Beach Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to SeaGate Hotel? Share your experiences!