“Good Location for the Price”
Review of Casa Alta Vista

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Casa Alta Vista
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Coldwater, Ohio
“Good Location for the Price”
Reviewed 31 December 2012

The hotel was a good location, budget price, and fairly clean. Don't expect a high-dollar type facility if staying here. Interesting note: We rented several rooms and discovered that our hotel key actually opened up the other rooms. Good thing the entire area is generally safe. We loved the island and will definitely return. Bars and restaurants are about a five minute walk.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BuckeyeAgTravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We stayed here for three nights over our stay on Vieques. Mark is a great host. He gave us great advice on what to do on the island, where to eat, where the stores are, and gave us chairs and an umbrella to use on the beach. Our room was nothing special - it was on the interior so it didn't have an attached patio. But, the roof deck was great for chilling out and it has a great view of the bay and the "mountains." The room was clean and the bathroom was nice. There was a refrigerator which was great for water, beer, and fruit. It is a really short walk into town for dinner/drinks or breakfast. There is a little beach across the road which was nice for a quick dip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with attached patio.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Mary G
Reviewed 22 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. Mark, the owner, was extremely helpful. We had no reservations, but he had a room ready in minutes. This place is by far the best bang for your Buck. It's a short walk from the Esperanza beach strip, it has all the amenities you will ever need, plus I loved the breeze on the third floor deck. This is as good as they get for the island of Vieques at HALF THE PRICE.
He does not have a sign, but anyone in Esperanza will point you the right way.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Montroso
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed here for two nights while we visited Vieques. We liked staying in Esperanza because that’s where the bio bay tours leave from and also if you’re into a seeking out a little drinking fun this is the town (and Lazy Jacks is the place)! Mark (the owner) is the reason you want to stay here! However, he is currently trying to sell the place. Overall the hotel is a bit dated but it’s clean and comfortable (If you’re used to 5 star accommodations this place is definitely not for you). He’ll tell you all about the Malecon (the main drag in Esperanza), small stores to get groceries, beaches you can walk to, good snorkeling spots, etc. And if you’re really nice and chat him up he may tell you about off the beaten path restaurants, etc. He has complementary coffee in the mornings (and sometimes throughout the day!) and a computer in his lobby with internet. When our cab didn’t show up to take us to the ferry Mark drove us in his own vehicle – now how many hotel owners would do that! Mark is a truly unique and great guy. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. Thanks Mark!!

Room Tip: Room # 12 has a nice view of the ocean from a 'private' (gated off) part of the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank laewagne
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Just returned from a month on Vieques. We travel the Caribbean 2 or 3 times a year, and this is still our preferred vacation. The hotel is clean, comfortable and also affordable. The owner, Mark, is knowledgeable and more than helpful. We stayed 4 weeks and used room #6 (the "Apartment") which is a full home unit. The location is ideal for us, as we don't enjoy the 'night-life'; yet it's close to everything on the Esperanza. Wi-Fi availability is a plus.

Room Tip: Third floor is very airy; I prefer this (view of the harbor) if 6 is unavailable.
1 Thank Emil V
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We stayed three nights at Casa Alta Vista in February. The location is great. You can walk to some of the beaches, and the rest are a very short drive. Restaurants and bars a few minutes walking. The owner Mark goes above and beyond to take care of you. At this price, it's a very good option.

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs have great balconies with sunset views.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We just left vieques last week and when booking the vacation, I wanted to feel as far away from home as possible. I wanted to stay somewhere to get a really great feel of the island. Casa Alta Vista was perfect! We checked in Saturday and met Mark who is so personable and gave us a map tour of the island of all the places that we needed to see, great places to eat and the best beaches to visit. The room was cozy (we got the top floor one bedroom with a balcony, was the best room in my opinion :) ) Had comfortable patio furniture, a fablous view of the sky at night and a wonderful view of the ocean during the day. The room had everything we needed and was perfect. The room was clean, the water was hot and I got the best sleep I have had in years. The walk is maybe a little over a block to get to the boardwalk in espearanza. We walked to get breakfast everday morning and was a nice walk. There was never one moment that I was anywere on the island that I didnt feel safe. At the end of the 8th day, it felt like home. We woke up in the morning, went downstairs to get coffee (was the best on the island) and say hi to Mark and Sasha (his cute dog) and chat about what we did the day before and where we were off to that day. We would tell him things we came across and Mark was always able to give us more insight on the questions we had about the island. Everything was perfect.
I reserached for months before settling on a place, I went back and forth between the hotel and guest house options and read review after review and finally decided on the guest house. I am so glad I did! A hotel never would have given the same feel that the guest house did, simple, cozy with no other distractions- just living life and it was great!
I would like to mention, I read the reviews before I booked my trip on this site and there were people who said it was a bad thing that this property was for sale. Mark has lived on the island for 10 years and running the hotel. He is there every morning at 8 and was even there late some nights to accomidate people coming in from delays with the ferry, some even as late at 9 or 10 at night. He does a great job and yes, the property is for sale, but but never once while I was there did I ever feel that him taking care of the place and the people staying in it were not his first priority... and he does a great job at it. And after 10 years, who can blame him for wanting to take on another adventure?
If I ever came back to visit the island I would stay here again, the location was great, it was clean and quiet and exactly what I hoped it would be for my perfect vacation.
Thank you Mark for everything!!! It was so good to meet you and I wish you the best in whatever you do- Give Sasha a hug for us!!! --- Kevin and Lisa

Room Tip: Ask Mark- he will help you find the perfect room!!!!
3 Thank Lisa S