“Casa de Kathy was a perfect place for us!”
Review of Casa de Kathy

Casa de Kathy
GreenLeadersBronze level
DUANESBURG
“Casa de Kathy was a perfect place for us!”
Reviewed 8 February 2014

The 2 BR apartment was spacious, comfortable, everything we needed for a GREAT week on Vieques. The location was wonderful - quiet neighborhood, but only a 10 minute walk from "downtown" Esperanza. About a 20 minute walk to Sun Bay Beach. It is possible to walk to Sun Bay beach, Half Moon Beach (a longish walk) and Navio Beach (very ambitious walk) from Kathy's. Kathy was friendly, very knowledgeable and helpful. Great beach towels and there were chairs & coolers and even an umbrella there to use for the beach. The kitchen was well equipped and there are two grocery stores within a short walk.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Just got back from staying at Casa de Kathy's in Vieques. The apartment had everything we needed and Kathy was there to answer all questions. It's just a few minutes walk from the lovely town. We rented a Jeep to get to the Fish and Wildlife Reserve beaches, which were beautiful. Our 4 night stay couldn't have been better; very relaxing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank curioustraveller5588
Berkeley, California
Reviewed 24 January 2014

It was a pleasure to stay at Casa de Kathy. It was actually recommended to me by others living on the island due to her long-standing familiarity with Vieques.

Firstly the place was extremely clean and comfortable. There's a great view of the ocean and sunsets from the main decks. Kathy provides you with all you need (e.g., beach towels, dishes, etc) and rents for a very good price other equipment (mountain bikes, snorkeling gear). Kathy gave me a great orientation of where to go on the island, how to best get around, and what the best beach are for swimming and snorkeling. As a single woman who was travelling alone, she also told me what paths are best not to venture out by myself.

I'm also here doing environmental research and Kathy took me into town and introduced to several of the main leaders in the community. She invited me to events and along with her to the beach. Overall she made me feel extremely welcome and provided me with a lot of information.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Casa de Kathy's rooms were very tidy and cozy. Rooms are very well equipped and location is good. Special thanks to Kathy for being so nice and helpfull!
They say that you can't manage without a car in Vieques, but we did just fine for four days. Bicycling to the beaches is good way to get some exercise too.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I stayed in the Casita behind Casa Bromelia as part of our honeymoon December 23-26 2013. The little Casita was perfect for us as it was nice, quite, and private. The location in Esperanza was perfect as it was a very quick walk to the Malecon, but just far enough away to be out of the commotion. It is also close enough to walk to some amazing beaches (Sun Bay & Media Luna) so we were fine with not having a rental car.

What really made our trip extra special was our experience with Kathy. She was very professional, kind, accommodating and was very helpful for us 1st timers to the island. She knows EVERYTHING about Vieques, so be sure to soak up all the knowledge and tidbits you can during your stay. She gave great dining (El Quenepo & Blue Horizon) and beach recommendations, and can help you book excursions and/or taxis for whatever you want to do.

I would HIGHLY recommend staying at either Casa De Kathy or Casa Bromelia. Esperanza is the place to be on the island and you can't have a better host than Kathy!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank reedcatlin
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 December 2013

The two bedroom is clean, spacious and convenient. All restaurants and beach are within walking distance. Kathy is very friendly and has lots of information about the little town. Definitely will stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XinZhang75
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Well, I will start with Kathy changing the price of the apartment. I stated on the phone that we were two couples with one chid and a baby ( 4 months). We try to stayed at the beach but the weather was impossible. We stood one night at the beach and in the middle of the night we needed to go to the car. Next date after the storm, we were looking for a place to stay on our second night and we found La Casa de Kathy in a local newspaper. Kathy informed us that she had a two bedroom apartment for $105 the night. Since not all our stuff from camping will fit in the car with all of us, we decide to make two trips, first mom with the children and second our partners. Once Kathy saw our partners decide to increase the fee, counting us like 6. She explained that she needed to charged $25 extra for the baby because " they made garbage too". She made up many explanations about discounts, her broken spanish to justify her fee changes. She also ask us many questions about who we were and what we do... I believe Kathy hasn't been exposed to local people staying or simply people of color. Her tone was very judgmental and "pushy".
Ok, we were in desperate need to find a place to stay so we took it anyways.

Second, our stuff from camping was completely wet and we utilize the "marquesina" (garage) to put our tents to dry. In the middle of the night (2am) I went to get a shirt that I left in the garage and all of the sudden I found Kathy with her dog. I was shocked to noticed that Kathy was outside waiting for me. Kathy asked me if my friend was awake because one window in the room was not completely closed. Again it was 2 am in THE MORNING! I found very intrusive, creepy, and scary that she will be checking the windows from outside at 2AM in the morning.
I believe Kathy likes the company of the visitors but can't manage appropriately to establish clear and respectful boundaries.
I am Puerto Rican and I love Vieques but I couldn't feel more awkward and uncomfortable by Kathy's attempt of hospitality.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Pachec0Family
casadekathy, Owner at Casa de Kathy, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
I recognize that this guest was not happy and that disturbs me. I appreciate that she took the time to say that I have a "beautiful place". Unfortunately I do not agree with her description of what went wrong.

In the phone conversation about this reservation, I understood that there would be four guests. At check-in, I became aware there were six in her party. Due to the misunderstanding, I graciously gave them a significant discount and they ended up paying LESS than the rate for four guests. I asked them several times if they were satisfied with the final price and understood that they were. They arrived at my place during the morning and I gave them an early check-in. They had ample time to go elsewhere if they did not like what I was being offered.

The statement about charging $25 for the baby is untrue. Babies are charged equal to one guest. I welcome children of all ages, which is not the case with many other Vieques rentals.

The other untrue statement is that we had a conversation at 2 AM in the morning in my driveway. I usually walk my dog between 8 and 10 pm. It was on my way upstairs from walking my dog that I found Ines in my driveway and told her I noticed a window open and that it would be helpful to close it while running the AC. No one but the frogs and the occasional rooster is up and about at 2 AM in this quiet and sleepy island of Vieques (and surely not on a Thursday evening).

I apologize if I contributed to making her uncomfortable during her stay. Was it my "broken Spanish" that contributed to the misunderstanding? I have been speaking conversational Spanish for more than 20 years. I have had the privilege of representing many community Vieques organizations in newspaper, radio and TV interviews (in Spanish). And I was also active in the Puerto Rican community in Boston where I used live. I think the problems in our communication did not come from language but from her unfortunate judgment of me. Paz, Kathy