“Very Nice Stay in Vieques”

Tropical Guest House
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We spent one night at the Tropical Guest House so we could take a Bio Bay tour. Maria and her husband treated us like we were one of the family. They were so nice and so very helpful with anything we needed. They serve a delicious breakfast, not included in the room price, but very reasonable. The room was basic, no frills, but clean and comfortable. Check it out if you are planning to go!

Room Tip: Rooms on the street get a lot of sun. Rooms on the back are shadier and darker.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Happy_Traveler_NC
There are newer reviews for Tropical Guest House

Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

If you've never stayed in a "guest house" before you need to know what to expect. This one has small concrete rooms with a private bathroom, a bed, a small TV, an AC unit in the window and THAT IS IT. No carpet, no desks, no nightstands, ice machines, etc...

It was perfect for me because the staff was very friendly and helpful and all my wife and I were looking for was a place to sleep.

I listed the location as "poor" because you need a car if you're going to stay here (it's nowhere near the beach). However, if you plan on renting a jeep to explore the island anyway, it doesn't matter.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank DHUtah
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We spend 3 nights in the Tropical Guest house from 1st to 4th of January 2013 and the place was amazing. It may not be a luxury resort, but everything is clean and well organized and the level of service is unbelievably good. Maria and Joe are genuinely friendly people and would do everything they can to help their guests. I strongly recommend staying here! Rent a car if you plan to explore the Island even a bit (Applies to all places).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I stayed at the Tropical Guest House for about 4 days and felt like Jose and Maria were part of my family. You will not get better attention and service in any other hotel or guest house, rest assured that if I visit Vieques again I will stay at this cozy and warm location.

Room Tip: The top floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Maria stayed late to welcome us to the Tropical Guest House, which was incredibly sweet of her especially since she helped to secure reservations for a last-minute tour of the bio bay. She assisted us in coordinating taxis and gave us suggestions of which beaches to go to the following day. Joe/Jose gave opposing suggestions for the beaches, which was a bit confusing, but it was beyond clear that each of them are interesting people with a passion for being helpful and kind.

Unfortunately, there was a large group who was staying in all of the rooms on the back floor and they were incredibly loud. We got less than 3 hours of sleep that night between that group and the horrible rooster that crowed every 20 seconds beginning at 3:30am. The full bed wasn't very comfortable (it could use a mattress cover of foam to make it more soft) and the sink trickled water so there was a lot of waste. The shower was fine- a bit chilly for my liking, but the space of everything was proportional and we made do.

I was most captivated by the stories and suggestions that the staff had for us. They are each incredible individuals who I was definitely inspired by. Jose talked to me about healthy eating and his adventures coming from the Bronx to Vieques via CBS News. It was really nice to spend some time listening to stories and hearing about his perspective of the island along with all of the hard work, sweat, and dedication (and patience) it's taken to make the Tropical Guest House what it is today. There's still work to be done, but if anyone can do it they are certainly the power team that will accomplish their dreams!

It was refreshing to start the day with a tall glass of OJ and he made me laugh about the rooster scenario. The breakfast was delicious- we have specific food allergies and Maria was very accommodating with the limited supplies that they had. She made a great egg omelette with green peppers and cheese to start off our day before the beach.

Know that there are no complimentary toiletries, but there is a lovely baskets with plenty of small sample sizes for you to choose from for a dollar or two.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room #9, which is right next to the front entrance- it was very nice because we were th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Just came back from spending six days at The Tropical Guest House in Vieques, PR and can't wait to go back. The place is just as described by the web site, if you're looking for an economical yet warm & friendly place this is the place for you to be. The owners Joe and Maria along with their staff; Ada, Carla & Yolanda could not have treated us better, although the place has "Guest" in its name, you can't help but feel like you are with family. The rooms while not luxurious like those of a five star chain hotel, are kept perfectly clean, great for crashing after spending a day of fun in the sun at the many beaches Vieques has to offer. In the mornings you can enjoy a tasty breakfast prepared by Joe himself and served by Maria & Yolanda. All for less than you would spend on a coffee at one of those fancy coffee shops. When you come back from your day of excursions, make sure to stop by the lounge and grab a drink at the bar. If you have forgotten some of your toiletries or are looking for a small souvenir, you are in luck, Maria has a small gift shop right in the guest house. Some may find the place a tad simple for their taste but if you're fixated on what the place is lacking then you're probably not doing as much as you should be doing while on vacation. For me it was a perfect stay in which I got some much needed rest, visited a nice little town and met some great people. The Tropical Guest House is a work in progress with a lot of potential, the owners Maria and Joe are working hard on renovating and making each guests' stay a memorable one. The 14 rooms at the Guest House were fully booked for two of the days that I was there, so I think they are on the right path. If you're thinking of booking a room, I suggest you do it soon, once all the work is done you may not be able to afford their prices.....as for me, I hope to return to Vieques for another vacation in the near future and when I do, you will likely find me back at The Tropical Guest House.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jackiefo
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed one night at the tropical guest house. We arrived early and they opened up and let us into our room to drop off our stuff. They made excellent recommendations for places to visit around the island for the the bio-bay tour. We joined the owners in their lounge/breakfast area after returning from our trips around the island. They were so warm and friendly. Great people to visit with. The rooms are just perfect for people spending the day roaming the beaches looking for an inviting place to crash at the end of the day without a big price and lots of fluff. We had breakfast there the next day and it was delicious. Fresh coffee, fresh fruit, homemade pancakes with cinnamon (amazing). I cannot say enough about how awesome this place is.

Room Tip: Have breakfast with them and grab a drink at night in the breakfast lounge area.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple