“Unique and Special!”
Review of La Suite Villa

La Suite Villa
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Trois-Ilets
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We thought we would try a new spot in Trois Ilets this trip. Previously we have stayed at the Bakoua in the south and St. Aubins on the northeast coast. The La Suite Villa is truly one of the most friendly and accommodating places in which we have stayed . We arrived very late in the evening after a six hour lay-over in Puerto Rico. We were relived to have such a warm welcome at such a late hour from Gilles and Valentine. We were given a tour of our villa, complete with hot tub! An unexpected surprise came in the form of a delicious cheese board from the kitchen. The next morning we delighted to find a beautiful patio, and bar area to enjoy. The mini kitchen has everything one might need for preparing small meals. The beds are comfortable and the A.C. works well. It was so nice to have two toilet areas, and a shower that functioned with lots of hot water. The breakfasts that we were offered were very good even though we tried not to eat too much since there is excellent food everywhere on the island. It is true that they are not located on the beach, but the service and staff are superior. Valentine spent a lot of time with me on day two trying to get my car rental straightened out. Thus we had wheels!! Touring the island is very interesting, and definitely the way to meet people. When we returned we dined in the restaurant and loved our meal which was delicious and very inexpensive by island standards for a top flight meal. It is possible to choose either the two or three course plates, which is helpful for small appetites.
We will definitely return to La Suite Villa on our next stay. Almost forgot my most important comment. EVERYONE helped me to use my French, which is one of the reasons that we visited Martinique. Not to worry about a language barrier here, since many people on the island have at least an adequate command of English. A beautiful, friendly island-we look forward to our next visit and return to the Villa.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank southernbelle007

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at La Suite Villa and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in Trois Ilets that doesn't mind being a bit away from the beach. The hotel is composed of mini suites in the main building and then separate villas descending the side of the hill. All rooms & villas should have a nice view and there is a small pool (which they close at 6pm as it's right next to the restaurant) and a very good restaurant.

The positives:
1. Excellent service. Valentine in particular went out of her way to assist me, even lending me a charger for my Blackberry as I had left mine at home. I speak a bit of French, which undoubtedly helps, but I have no reason to think the staff wouldn't be just as accommodating to those that don't.
2. The rooms are very nice, modern and comfortable. Valentine wasn't sure the A/C was working in the first room she showed me so she moved me immediately to a room on the top floor, which I thought was atypically pro-active (rather than leaving me in the first room and hoping the A/C worked). Befitting a hotel of European standard, the rooms are not large but they're definitely not tiny.
3. Free wifi throughout
4. Very good, reasonably priced restaurant. I had a 3 course meal and 2 drinks at the bar and my total was 57 euros.
5. Nice views from most, if not all, rooms

The only negative:
1. The hotel is up a decent hill and probably takes 10 minutes on foot to reach from the nearest beach

I would have given it 5 stars if it were on the beach but other than that it's tough to find fault.

Room Tip: The view gets better the higher up you go
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank WillEyres
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We've been dotting around the Caribbean for the last few years and thought we'd add that bit of Gallic flair to this year's holiday. We'd done lots of research so La Suite Villa was going to be the obvious choice if we were looking for the best in Martinique.

After the usual complete chaos, lies and hell that is a LIAT flight, and the drive on busy, dark roads from the airport, we arrived at this little gem on the hill. It seems that we were greeted by everyone in the restaurant / hotel and the irrepressible Gilles took us to our villa to show us the rooms, amenities, the parasol, the hot tub........etc. in the most flamboyant and charming manner. Lovely to meet him, but we only got glimpses the rest of the week when he chatted to certain guests at this restaurant Zandoli.

Morning revealed the beautiful view over the bay and the cute, brightly coloured villas which terraced down the hill.

We chose to take breakfast in the restaurant which was superb. Eggs, pastries, coffee, chocolate, charcuterie, cheese etc. etc. all authentically French and delicious. Our school French held out and we managed to order and converse quite happily. The breakfasts were so filling that we seldom needed lunch. In the evening, we alternated between something simple in the town and dinner at Zandolli which is an absolute gem - probably the best place that I've eaten at in the Caribbean. It is very well priced and the service is excellent - particularly from our Celtic cousin, Sinead. Special mention for the cocktails and the desserts. One note for the non-French. The French see nothing wrong with smoking before, between and sometimes during courses. Its something you've just got to live with unfortunately.

The rooms in the villas are small but beautifully detailed and welcomely cool with good air-con. The bathrooms and en-suite are very high spec and come festooned with L'Occitaine toiletries. The main connecting room is a bit dingy but the villas are best enjoyed outwith this space. Cooking facilities are adequate but we never used them, but we kept the fridge packed with water, chocolate and wine to enjoy in the hot tub in the evening. The little garden is a lovely place to relax at the villa with a shuttered window opening "bar style" and every evening we had at least an hour here pre going out.

Les Trois Islets is the place to be in Martinique. It is best prepared for tourists with good facilities and restaurants and with some English spoken at most places. Try out Boule de Neige and Cafe Havana - both excellent. We explored some of the island, the highlights being the gorge and the Habitation Clement. We also had some fabulous snorkelling / scuba with Aliotis Plongee (Laurent and Sophie are wonderful and booked by the hotel). St. Pierre is very disappointing and tourist friendly places are few and far between in the north, although it is very beautiful. We took the ferry to Fort de France and the ferry trip itself is the highlight of this trip as Fort de France is a squalid, hot, bustling, smelly collection of tin-roofed delapidation. Its nothing like New Orleans - as some guide books will have you believe! The driving is frantic, with small Renaults being thrashed around tight corners and up steep inclines. Tourists can be easily spotted by the fact they use indicators and their cars are dent free.

Room Tip: Get a villa higher up the hill for best views -Cachou or Mentos.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
11  Thank Equality_7-2521
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Most of the reviews, and certainly all the recent ones, on this hotel are in French. That is telling because my impression is that Martinique is largely a getaway destination for those from France or at least fluent in French. I've been all over and it is one of few places left where English is practically unknown. I'm not complaining and there is no reason whatsoever that English should be spoken everywhere, but the point is that if I had been here for vacation rather than business I would not have enjoyed the country as much as most other places. Maybe it's just me, but I would suggest a serious review your high school French, if you had any (and I didn't), before coming.

Anyway, apart from the unfortunate and profound discomfort of not being able to communicate with most of the wait-staff, if not the front desk, the hotel is wonderful. The owners have obviously put a great deal of thought into every last detail of the design and furnishings and they deserve a lot of credit. The goal is to simply make people love their stay, as explained to me by one of the owners, Gilles.

Advice:
Eat at the restaurant, it's truly gourmet haut cuisine like you would see in a special-occasion, extremely expensive 5 star restaurant in the States. It was astonishingly high end and well beyond expectations.

The villas appear to be nice but I didn't see one that was completely private (something that's absolutely essential in my book); i.e. the hot tubs and lounging areas are perfectly visible from the path to the car park. In addition, there is no view whatsoever from any of them other than the back of the villa slightly further down the hill. The rooms in the main building, on the other hand, especially on the upper floors where I stayed, have a fabulous view of FDF bay and the Pitons du Carbet (somewhat reminiscent of Mount Otemanu on Bora Bora when the clouds are just so).

The l'Occitane amenities, bathrobes and flowers on the bed upon arrival are top notch. Some of the artwork ... not so much (had to put a towel over one particularly repulsive painting in my room). In any event, I'm not aware of any other hotel on the island that even comes close to this one. Bon voyage et bon chance.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bellknob
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Quaint, quirky and very artistic is how I would describe this relatively new property across the bay from Fort De France. Situated up a hill overlooking the bay and with a view across water to the mountains, this is a fantastic hotel/resort with the most amazing restaurant. Host Gilles is friendly, welcoming and works on his English communication skills to make sure we understand each other. The villas are tastefully furnished with all the amenities that we need, the staff are welcoming and friendly and the peace and quiet, which is what I need the most is wonderful. The nearby village offers little, but then we need little as the hotel and restaurant fulfills almost all of our needs. The food in the restaurant, especially at diiner is to die for and in my view would rank with the best I have eaten anywhere.

Room Tip: Try for one of the villas, rather than the hotel rooms, you get more space and more time to relax an...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 29 September 2011

My wife and I recently spent a week here during low (hurricane) season in a villa. La Suite Villa is a “hotel” combined with a restaurant, which are of tres modern design. The staff was top-notch and friendly starting from our initial detailed introduction to our small “villa” with owner Gilles, whom we never saw again all week. There are smaller rooms or suites in the main building, which are more fancifully decorated than the still-nice villas. Even the hard-working gardening crew was friendly. We found the villa to be extremely clean and comfortable. The villa had a spa, which we never used, as it was already hot and humid enough. While we do not generally use an air conditioner, having the AC in the bedroom did make sleeping easier; the rest of the unit did not have AC. Except for the running AC, we found the place to be quiet and the landscaping conducive to relaxation. The flowers were also very attractive to hummingbirds and bananaquits as well. The included breakfasts were ample and good and served in very pleasant surroundings; the serving staff was generally quite nice too. A small quibble was that a burned-out light bulb found on our initial pass was not replaced until a second bulb went out on the fourth day and we again asked for replacement.

The quality-to-price ratio is not great (denominator too high), but I would nevertheless recommend La Suite Villa.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travelin_tommy
Reviewed 31 August 2011

This hotel is unlike any other. Quite breathtaking when you arrive at night with lanterns hanging up and beautiful artwork (even on your plate!).
The owner helped with all my requests -from early checkout to carrying around my daughter who needed a hug. What is better than getting a complimentary breakfast delivered to your room at night because you leave early the next day?

I was blown away by the room-so well thought! There's no way you can enjoy staying at a chain hotel after sampling this: bathtub on the balcony, open shower with the sound of the wildlife early morning, beautiful flowers everywhere (even in your bathrobe), enchanting L'Occitane beauty products...

I felt right at home after an exhausting trip- was only there for the night but wish I could have stayed a week!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Manamaeva
Also consider these accommodations in or near Trois-Ilets
Hotel La Pagerie
#1 of 4 in Le Diamant
Hotel Bambou
Hotel Bambou
#3 of 11 in Trois-Ilets

Been to La Suite Villa? Share your experiences!