“Back again with Saba Divers”
Review of Saba Divers

Saba Divers
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Saba Divers is an award-winning dive center with its main priority on non crowded, safe and fun dives. We organize all you need on our beautiful island. Hotel rooms, restaurant reservations, transfers, hiking tour etc. Our instructors are top notch, friendly and professional and with a passion and love for diving themselves. We are focus on custom designed diving and quality over quantity. Our instructors speak English, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and of course fish language :-) ...
Reviewed 17 January 2014

Yet another great experience with Saba Divers. The crew of Piesi, Stephanie, Rita and Simon were experienced, friendly and knowledgeable. We were lucky in that there were only five divers each day, but the boat can easily accommodate more.
As we know the dive sites pretty well we requested our favorites - Diamond Rock and Tent Wall. There are at least five mooring points around Tent Wall Reef, all are excellent. Other divers get excited about the pinnacles, which seems popular just because it is deep but it's hit or miss if you see anything.
The accommodation at Scouts is nice and is good for breakfast. Nearby restaurants are worth visiting for dinner.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

One of the things we did on Saba was diving. We had no special reason to pick Saba Divers, as we were told that the two dive centers were both good. We were staying in Windwardside and the boat was at the harbour, but the transfer is included. So no need to arrange it yourself. There was also a towel included.
The shop in the harbour was a bit dated, but the equipment is really good. The boot was really spacious, especially with only 4 divers and 2 instuctors. But even with a bigger group, there would be enough room. I also like that there was free ice tea and water, cause we did take some with us, but I always get very thirsty. :-)

When we were on our way, I only realized that I didn't have a dive computer. When I asked about it, I was told you have to check it on the form if you want one (it is not included if you rent your gear). Unfortunately I missed that on the form, but my partner had seen checked it, but hadn't one either! He just hadn't realised that till I asked about it. You have to pay extra for it ($5), but it hadn't been charged, so it had been missed when we were making the reservation.
I was told that I didn't really need one, cause I wasn't diving alone (aka with an instructor) and we wouldn't go very deep. But I have never dived without one and I didn't feel really comfortable without it. On other dives a computer was always included with the gear, so now I know that I have to make sure it is included, because it is not standard. I do think they should inquire at booking if you need one or not. Especially if you are multiple dives on a day. It is just safer and easier.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed it. The dives were not deep, the deepest was 15 meters, but mostly around 10-12 meters. This gave us plenty of time (each dive was at least an hour) to explore the area and to stop and look around. Especially Tent Reef was like diving in an aquarium, so many fish, corals and so much more. The instructors pointed out severall interesting marine live, so they were definitly more than guides!

Would I go with Saba Divers next time? I think I will, because apart from missing a computer, it was really good. The staff was nice, the price was decent, equipment was very good, the boat nice and spacious and the dive spots amazing.

1  Thank Diana F
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My husband and I just got home after a week of diving with Saba
Divers and staying at Scouts Place. The diving experience was second to none. We had lots of fun and got to see beautiful underwater scenery. The entire crew were very helpful and easy to work with. Everyone was very friendly and made the whole time we were there very enjoyable.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

I just returned from two weeks of diving with two separate groups of friends on Saba Island and we stayed at Scouts Place and dove with Saba Divers. The first group was 13 persons and the second group was 18 persons. The diving experience levels ranged from a lady just getting her SCUBA certification on Saba and another lady doing her first Open Water dives to most of us with 200+ dives from all over the world and even one guy with over 700 dives. I will go into details below but want to sum up our experience right up front. We LOVED Saba, We LOVED Scout’s Place, and we LOVED Saba Divers!
The diving on Saba was beautiful and pristine. I dove both weeks / 20 dives total and was never bored with any of the spots. The Pinnacles were the highlight signature dives of Saba and are a definite must (weather permitting). But even the shallower coral and wall dives were beautiful and we saw everything from a couple of close up Reef Sharks, HUGE lobsters, eels, a flying gurnard, baby puffers, sting rays, a gazillion variety of fish, and we even got a picture of an octopus and a seahorse. But the main attraction to Saba diving are the beautiful pristine corals and sponges all protected by the Marine Park. Our dive masters were Michael and Caroline on one boat with our less experienced divers (they have moved on from Saba as I write this) and Stephanie and Pizi (?) on our boat with the more experienced divers. Both boats had an awesome time and our new divers were made to feel very comfortable and were treated with extra special care when needed. Our other boat of more experienced divers also had an awesome time with some beautiful deep pinnacle dives and some of our longest bottom times ever. Both dive teams had all the gear all set up when we arrived in the morning and they swapped out all the tanks and gear in between dives. We never touched our gear, we just got to hang out and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Saba Island from the boat. They were very thorough in their pre-dive briefings and let us be involved in the day’s dive destinations. The extra special service was greatly appreciated and will spoil us for future dive shops. Most of us rented gear from Saba Divers and all the gear was in excellent shape and well maintained. THANKS to the entire dive shop for great dive experience.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Our Adventure started with trying to coordinate lodging and diving on Saba for 31 friends and decided the only way to make it work was to split the group into two separate weeks. We chose Scout’s Place because it combined lodging, diving, and entertainment (bar) all into one location and one point of contact for such a large group. Scout’s only has bedding for 24 people so we pretty much took over the place. I have been organizing our Group Adventures all over the world for about 12 years now and I must say Susanne was one of the BEST contacts I have ever worked with. Every time I had questions, changes, concerns, etc (which were many when you have a large diverse group) she was right on top of it and handled everything perfectly and with a genuine “happy-to-help” attitude. HUGE THANKS to Susanne and all the girls in the office for making our stay wonderful.

Scout’s Place is owned / run by a wonderful couple Barbara and Wolfgang who made us all feel like family from Day 1. They were both readily available at any time if anything popped up and needed attending. Friday night Sabaoke was SO MUCH FUN. It got started with Barbara and Wolfgang (Sonny and Cher would be proud) carrying the song load till the locals and students showed up around 10:30 and then it was rocking and rolling and standing room only. Wolfgang makes the BEST Saba Spice we had the entire trip, he even made a special batch for our group and gave a couple of bottles to the tables one night at dinner. With such large groups we opted for the “meal plan” which included our full breakfast (eggs, omelets, pancakes, toast, fruits, juice, coffee, bacon, sausage, etc) and full dinners, which were absolutely delicious and varied. The service was amazing, that we could have 13 and 18 people all show up for breakfast and dinner together and everyone was served hot tasty meals all within 10 minutes or so. The wait staff and bartenders (Monifa, Claudia, Lika, and the others I can’t remember their names) were professional, friendly, and right on top of everything. And the chef did an amazing job every night serving outstanding food from fresh fish to pastas to steaks and all the trimmings. THANKS!

A couple of other details. Because of our large groups and not being able to get air for all together, we opted to take the Dawn II Ferry from St Maarten to Saba and back to St Maarten. It is a wild (fun) 1 ½ hour ride on a small passenger / cargo ferry that was as entertaining as anything else on our trip. We had 5 – 6 of us sitting up front outside on the bow both coming and going on both groups and were treated to unlimited FREE cold Heinekens which made the roller coaster ride a blast. We had 2 taxi drivers shuttling us back and forth every day for diving (and any other rides we needed), Billy and Cornelius, and both were professional, prompt, and lots of fun. (Billy’s got tons of great stories). If planning on hiking Mt Scenery, bring hiking boots / Keens / tennis shoes with good grip, the path gets pretty slippery in spots and had most of us coming down on all fours in spots. But definitely worth the hike through the Rain Forest. There is a Hiking Station at the beginning of the trail to pick up walking sticks. For a fun outing hike to the Eco Lodge for lunch in the middle of the forest, just call first to make sure they are open that day. Friday happy hour at Tropics (just down the hill from Scout’s) is a fun time with the Hippo Shot Game and half priced beers (THANKS Wim and Johanna).

In Summary: We LOVED Saba, We LOVED Scout’s Place, and we LOVED Saba Divers! Would definitely return and would definitely recommend Saba, Scout’s Place, and Saba Divers to anyone looking for a wonderful Caribbean dive Adventure.

1  Thank AnotherNewAdventure