“High priced, no quality”

Scout's Place Hotel
Ranked #4 of 4 Windwardside B&B and Inns
De Bilt, The Netherlands
“High priced, no quality”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Dirty and broken. Don't swim in this small dirty pool. Nobody did swim during our stay. Food is grassy. Breakfast is rather poor and server in the bar, smelling smoke and beer. People are nice. I won't recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank jutj14
ScoutsPlace, Owner at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Sorry to hear your complaint. We all wished that you had a more pleasant experience. No really sure what you referring too but as you can see from most of the other reviewers, they don't share your view. We will certainly monitor the development. Have a save trip.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

I loved staying at Scouts! Very nice staff, beautiful scenery, and very environmentally aware. Tasty food at the restaurant, on-site dive shop and close to other restaurants, supermarket and hiking trails. Couldn't be any better!

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Felicitas B
SabaDivers, Owner at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
Dear Traveler, we are very pleased that you found scout's Place to be a great place. All management an staff working daily very hard to make your stay memorable. We are proud of our beautiful island and what that people have a great experience. Unfortunately that doesn't work all times but in your case it was obviously successful. Have a save trip and keep your Saba experience within your heart.
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Good Food & Great fun on Friday evening @ "SABAOKE" (Kareoke).....Fun Atmosphere.....The "Happening Place" on Saba on Fridays......Definitely worth a visit.....
Did not stay at the Hotel.....Only visited the restaurant twice.....

Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I loved Saba! The location of Scouts was great - right in the middle of Windwardside, where you could walk everywhere. When the clouds thinned, there was an ocean view from both sides of the room. I would have given a higher rating except that Friday night was painful. Scout's is a well-known karaoke (Sabaoke) site on Friday night, and it gets loud and crowded, with people just outside the rooms within the hotel and on the street until late at night (early morning). So if you want a quiet place, do not stay there on a Friday night.

The other negative was the humidity - in April, Windwardside is a rainforest, and with no A/C in the room, even with the lovely, constant breeze, after several days, all my clothes were damp and I could not dry them. They did not grow mold, like my neighbors who stayed for 2 weeks told me happened to them. But this is not Scout's fault, though without A/C there was not much to do to counter it.

But I would stay there again as Saba proved a welcome respite from the hot Caribbean where I live (Haiti). The staff of the hotel were very nice and helpful. The room was clean, and it was great to have a medium-sized refrigerator. Satellite TV worked too, though a message about late payment kept popping up on the screen. I did feel safe - in fact, more than once, I left the keys in the door, forgetting to lock the room.

The restaurant was just OK, though staff were responsive and friendly and i liked them a lot. The food was just OK, but it was nice to get breakfast every morning, and it was better than many continental breakfasts I've had all over the world. There are several excellent restaurants within walking distance, so eat at Scout's at least once but I recommend trying other places in town as well.

Of course, I came to dive, and can only say good things about how Scout's handles diving. They shuttle you to the dive shop (beautiful drive) and it is MUCH hotter down at sea level. Welcome after being in the clouds, but it was also very nice to come back to the rainforest after a day of diving and sun. The dive shop staff were great, the boat was great, and the diving was great - want to come back.

And I would not hesitate to stay at Scout's again. But not sure I'd stay there on a Friday, unless I could talk my travel companions into hanging out singing karaoke all night like and joining the fun.

Room Tip: Second floor - great views in all directions!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank PamlaJane
ScoutsPlace, Owner at Scout's Place Hotel, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear reviewer. Thank you for the review. Besides all the good things you mentioned and that you would come back staying with us, I also noticed a few things you didn't like. Since we know how beautiful Saba is, how great our dive staff and the rest of our employees, I want to address a few things you didn't like: I know that sometimes Sabaoke can be a busy place. This doesn't happen many times. It isn't correct to say that people hanging around "in" the hotel. The hotel property is closed for outsiders. On some Friday's people passing outside on the street and therefore we have installed 39 decibel sound proof windows in your rooms. Of course they only "work" when they are closed. There are also other rooms not located towards the street, depends on the category you choose, where you have a very quite stay. Actually we are very proud of our "little" live entertainment and most of our guests enjoy mingling with some local people, diving instructors from all dive centers, interns from all over the world and just a bunch of friendly people coming to enjoying themselves. In ten years since we are doing this, we haven't received many complaints, rather compliments. We call it Sabaoke because it’s NOT Karaoke. Saba has a lot of talented singers and that’s what we mostly get. Some of them are even spectacular.
Concerning the air co, I don't really know any place that has air-condition on Saba, and if, there can be only a very few rooms island wide. Most people not even use air co in their homes. We are located about 1300-1400 ft above sea level and mostly have a nice breeze. In April we got a lot of rain and I agree with you that there was a very high humidity in this month. By the way, we have dryers in our laundry and upon request we could have dried your cloth. Cable TV and pop-ups: this is an island wide problem and has nothing to do with us or us not paying the cable company. In fact we pay them monthly in time. If this occurs on our hotel TV’s it occurs on all TV’s on the island. For the restaurant: we had a change of chefs in April and our lunch chef was so nice to "bridge" for two weeks. Our new chef Rodrigo started by the end of April and has a great reputation on Saba and he created a very exciting dinner menu. He worked at another place for about one and half years on the island and got great reviews from his customers. But of course we are also suggesting that you try other places on the island since we have great restaurants and our staff is more than happy to make your reservation. Nevertheless, our outside terrace is a great place to dine and offers a splendid view.
Last and least I'm pleased that you had a good stay and want to return to us. All of our divers enjoy our staff on the boats, they are great people and very knowledgeable, relaxed and save. We wish you all the best and I hope we see you one day again on Saba.
Willemstad, Netherlands Antilles
Reviewed 26 June 2013

We fell in love with the island and it's people! They are like family, everybody knows everybody, as a tourist they welcome you warmly everywhere. Scout's place is like home. It's quiet and relax, the food is delicious, but friday is Sabaoke night! Time to party! You can sing and dance the whole night. We had a wonderful stay, and we recommend everbody to stay at The Scout's Place with Barbara and Wolfgang (amazing chef de cuisine).
They are simply beautiful!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jen R
Thank you so much for this nice review. We're doing what we can to make everybody as happy and comfortable as we can. It's especially pleasing that you enjoyed my food and the Friday night entertainment. Saba is a very special place and it's nature is magnificent. There is no other place where I personally want to live and work. Stay save and all the best.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I stayed in Pirate's Cottage of Scout's Place for an extended period and loved it. The owners of the hotel are incredibly friendly, helpful and welcoming, and by the end of my stay can say that I will genuinely miss them. The restaurant served great food (although I only dined there a few times, I was thoroughly impressed every time). The Cottage was well maintained cleanliness-wise, although in my first week at the cottage the light in the master bedroom stopped working (not remedied by a changed bulb) and stayed broken for the rest of my stay despite letting the front desk know a few times. No big deal though, there was other lighting in the room. The view from the cottage was great and the location is close to necessary amenities. Friday night Sabaoke at Scout's is a must if you're staying here. My only grievance was that I found the lady who cleaned the cottage not very friendly at times and on several occasions had said that she would not return to clean the cottage as she didn't want to clean up after a house full of people. She did return a couple of days later every time of course, and continued to do a great job of cleaning, but I often found myself not wanting to be around for fear of a lecture when I consider myself a fairly tidy house guest.

Regardless, I would absolutely return to Scout's Place and will miss it until I do!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear reviewer, thank you for your kind words. We always try to do our best to make our visitors as comfortable as possible. Sorry that you felt that the room mate was a little harsh. I can assure you that she is a very nice lady from Saba and takes her job very seriously. I understand that she didn't find the right words but I'm sure she didn't mean to harress you. Moreover we are very delighted that you enjoyed your stay and also had fun at our little Friday night live entertainment. We're looking forward seeing you back on Saba.
San jose
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My wife and I stayed 4 nights and did some diving on the Saba rock. While the diving was so-so, the hotel was a nice place to relax. It is nothing special, but it is clean and the people are really nice. It is centrally located, quiet, and a good dive hotel. We had a rough time getting there (we were coming from SF, CA) and missed one of our nights and got stuck in St. Marteen, but Scouts comped us some of our money back by way of the breakfasts and drinks. They are fair and reasonable and I like that in a place. Oh, the view is stunning and the island is funky cool. You have do it once in your life. BTW cheers to Billy the cab driver.

ANdy

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for the review and we are happy that we could help you. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Travel safe.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Windwardside
The Old Gin House
#1 of 3 in Windwardside
Selera Dunia Boutique Hotel
Selera Dunia Boutique Hotel
#2 of 4 in Windwardside

Been to Scout's Place Hotel? Share your experiences!