“A great introduction to Gustavia”
Review of Le Bar de L'Oubli

Le Bar de L'Oubli
Ranked #14 of 69 Restaurants in Gustavia
Price range: US$11 - US$28
Cuisines: French, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Toronto, Canada
“A great introduction to Gustavia”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

It is situated on the harbour and is busy but the service is pretty good and always attentive. I would try their specials. The fish shrimp and spiny lobster are always good picks.

Visited March 2014

new york
“Hands down the best breakfast on the island”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We eat breakfast here EVERY morning when we are on the Island. There is simply no place else like it. By the second day of our annual visit to St Barts, we are regulars. In fact, they know what we want to order better than we do (I inadvertently ordered an omelette one morning and they reminded me I always get scrambled eggs). The owner is incredibly charming and always there to make sure everyone is having a good meal. His waitresses are incredibly busy (Its always full) yet are always on top of what you need, before you even ask. And the fresh squeezed orange juice is not just the best on the island, but the best I've ever had. Coffee/eggs/croissants all delicious too.

Part of the fun of the restaurant is its location. The same people come every morning so you quickly feel like part of the town. Everyone is friendly. The restaurant is right in the middle of town with a nice view of the harbor.

In short: perfection!

We hear the bar is very fun at night but we've never been.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank vstmiami
atlanta
“Great intro to St Bart's. Outrageously overpriced and very French”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

6 pancakes, one coke, one coffee, two small bottles of water, 27 euros, translate to 40 dollars for Americanos. I assume they are making a decent living with that margin

• Visited January 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Great for people watching”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We had passed this place on several occasions and it was always crowded. One day we ventured in town before 3 pm when several of the stores were still closed, so we decided to have lunch. The bar was relatively empty and wasn't as noisy as previous times when we passed by, so we stopped for a bite. I wasn't hungry so I just had a Perrier. My partner ordered a chicken sandwich but instead got a club sandwich containing eggs and other stuff, but not chicken! The sandwich was not very appealing either. We were both disappointed with the meal, as I wanted to have a bite, but since I don't eat egg, I couldn't. We had waited a long time for the sandwich and my partner thought it was best to eat it than tell the waiter that it wasn't what he had ordered.

The wait staff were neither friendly, helpful (considering the language barrier) or attentive. Although the restaurant was relatively empty, they were rushed and didn't seem to have much time when taking the order.

The one great thing about this restaurant is that it is located smack in the heart of town and it's location is vantage point for people watching.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank olrowe
Oxford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,195 helpful votes
“It's a bar !”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

After wandering through the shops in Gustavia, the bar de l’Oubli is one of the places where you can stop for a drink and a bite to eat. It is open for breakfast, lunches and evening meals but note that no credit cards are accepted, only cash.

For the day trippers from St Maarten is it possibly the first bar they come across from the harbour arrival point, and they have the choice of Le Select or this place.

The bar de l’Oubli is one of the few places on St Barths that serves beer on draft, although having tried one of them at the bar at the Airport I decided to stick to the bottle of Presidente !

However, this is a good place to sit, relax and watch the world go by. Indeed, I was fascinated by some Paparazzi who had set-up their cameras on the junction just outside but although we waited and waited, we never did find out who they were hoping to get sight of !

The bar has a TV and they show live sport. When we were there the sound was a bit too loud despite no-one watching the game that was being shown.

The waitress who served us was a bit grumpy but the actual service was fine.

Overall, this is an OK place for a drink. There is nothing exceptional about it, there are no great views, but it will do for a drink.

• Visited July 2013