“Another Perfect Vacation in Paradise - Great Location, Great Food, Great Service, Great Staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tom Beach Hotel

Tom Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in St. Jean
Stuart, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2009

We returned 3 weeks ago from a fantastic getaway at Tom Beach & its restaurant La Plage. We almost had to arrive by ferry, since our flight from Miami was late. When I called the hotel in a panic, I was told, "Don't worry! If you are not at the airport on the last flight, we will gladly pick you up at the ferry dock around 8:00 PM!" I immediately knew that this was going to be a stress free vacation!! The staff, as usual, was as helpful & friendly as can be. The location of this gem of a hotel is unbeatable, and our beachfront suite was terrific. The views were amazing from the large oceanfront deck of the St Jean Bay and its white powdery beach. The room had been renovated, the refrigerator was great for snacks, the king mattress was very comfortable, the black out curtains were great, and the bathroom was roomy with a wonderful rain forest showerhead. The breakfast that was included every morning was delicious with fresh squeezed juices, breads & croissants, fresh plates of fruit, and my beloved morning iced tea. What a way to start the morning with our feet dangling in the sand & overlooking blue azure colors of the sea. Lunches & dinners were all beautifully prepared, and the drinks at the beach bar were great. Everyone treated us as if we were their only priority (obviously not) from the reception desk to the restaurant - Nicolas, Marie Charlotte, Jonnie Boy, Christoffe, Bryce, Damien, Anna, etc. I know we have not named everyone, but the entire staff needs to be applauded. When we arrived, the Summer Music Session was going on, and we enjoyed the various live groups & D.J.'s every night. Our special thanks goes to the owner, Thierry, for making our vacation fantastic & making us feel so welcome. We really appreciate the special talent that he has for music & ambience.

Tim & Marilyn Griffin from Stuart, FL and YTB Travel & Cruises

Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2009

Stayed with 2 other couples for a 4 nighter in St Barts. Underground parking was like the back alley of a stinky old restaurant. Check in was pathetic amidst the construction tools lying around. Terribly embarassed as I had booked the hotel with out proper research. My wife had to leave the lobby as she was laughing so much at me. The dinner reservations I requested via email were not made and there were unsure as to which were or weren't. Easy answer, none were! Pulling up to a closed Francios Plantation Restaurant was a trip highlight! Very nice security guard helped me close the gate on my way out. Rooms were fair at best with nice beds but dated furniture in general. The bathroom was a darp dank cave. Not dirty but just dark, dated and humid. The hotel is clean and staffed by nice people but is just run down and in need of a massive renovation. The highlights were beach side breakfasts at the well run, very efficiently and politely staffed restaurant. Lingered over long breakfasts there daily..Those moments made the trip.. Beach scene midday active but we drove to quieter beaches each day and swung down to the hotel beach in the late afternoon. We love St Barts and having been going for 12 years an have stayed in top spots as well as some funkier, hipper spots. This was the low point in our accomodations to date. Stay next door at the Emeraude Plage and walk over for the restaurant.. Great Island, Poor choice of hotel to come to..

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travelhoundoutbound
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2009

We went to st-Barths on vacation and ate at La Plage in St-Jean in Tom Beach hôtel.

What a great place! right on the beach, very classy and trendy. Cool music, beautiful people and great food!

Try the mahi-mahi and the veal! Yummy! The chocolate fondant was to die for!

Don't miss this restaurant!

2 Thank quebectraveller_8
pittsburgh, pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2009

Just returned from a great 3 night stay at Tom Beach. Found the location to be ideal. We didn't rent a car for our first day so we walked to the local St. Jean shops, restaurants, grocery store and airport.
Our room was perfect. Modern, clean and comfortable. Not luxurious - but luxury wasn't expected. I was concerned about noise due to the location and the attached bar/restaurant. But, noise wasn't a problem - with the exception of an occasional airplane. A small but adequate pool. The hotel staff, especially Mary and Nicholas were terrific.
Breakfast was provided every morning in the outdoor restaurant. Feet in the sand, looking over the gorgeous beach. Lovely pastries, breads, jam, fresh squeezed juice and coffee. What more could you ask???
Beach chairs/towels are available to guests. Some extended stay "regulars", as well as day visitors to chic St. Jean beach rent the chairs as well. Makes for an enjoyable beachside scene.
St. Jean is a great beach for people (and airplane) watching, running, and walking. It's one of the only St. Barth beaches with bars/restaurants and close to shopping. Tom Beach's restaurant La Plage is fabulous for breakfast, lunch and dinner. La Plage had live entertainment each night. (Not too loud.) Nice during and after dinner.
Eden Rock is at the end of the beach and has a fabulous restaurant with a view you don't want to miss. At least try it for a sunset cocktail.
You'll want to have a rental car in St. Barth in order to explore the island, beaches, restaurants, etc. Parking is available either in the (tiny) Tom Beach garage or on the street. Driving is a thrilling experience in SBH.
Hotel choices in SBH are somewhat limited especially if you are looking to spend less than $500 per night. Tom Beach provided the perfect respite for our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tmjm
NYC
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2009

This place needs a remodel! e stayed in the most expensive room right above the restaurant on the beach and it needs an huge update and it was very noisy!!!! The smell of overflown toilets or cesspool was daily sometimes in the rooms and mainly inthe garden. The restaurant is ok but the guy who runs it is a disrespectful jerk. I would never return there.

• Liked — the front desk staff
  • Disliked — the owner of the restaurant, rude rude rude
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank gabmat
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2009

Hotel Tom Beach was the perfect spot for a week-end getaway from the bright lights of St. Martin. The hotel was just five minutes from the St. Barts airport, w/taxi provided by the hotel. Our room (#9) was beachfront, w/ a large oceanfront deck and bar which doubled the living space of our room. The room itself was large, very nicely appointed, with a modern bathroom, canopied king-size bed and a sliding glass wall onto the deck. I especially enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the beach-front restaurant and beach bar, which had good service and great food. The Eden Roc Hotel is at the other end of the beach, providing another wonderful restaurant just a short walk away. I definitely plan to stay here for all return trips to chic St. Barts!

• Liked — Location, Location, Location!
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank BeachBumDE
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2008

While I expected lovely, I was still pleasantly surprised when I arrived at Tom Beach Hotel. The plush gardens are spectacular. The rooms are elegantly adorned, making you truly feel at home with the ultra large beds and the outdoor area. The bathrooms are small, but accommodating and recently updated. In my room and I think all rooms…there is a private patio with fridge, minibar and sink. It is ideal for a romantic vacation, although I was alone. I love the small pool at the hotel which is incased by the gardens. Feel free to swim anytime anyway you choose. The staff understands discreet service.

The quaint rooms, restaurant and service are precisely what equate the true meaning of vacation. This is a place to unplug, which is hard to do in general (for me).

There is a restaurant outside which is located right on the ocean…so close the water it could touch your toes (not really, but close). The restaurant is called, La Plage. The food is exquisite and the staff is incredibly attentive. While the Caribbean overall is much more laid back than NY, which sometimes means bad service…there seems to be a different take with this wait staff. They were excellent.

This is truly a find. It depends on how you travel, but for me I travel for business a ton and stay in many 4 start hotels e.g.; Four Seasons, Ritz etc. While I love having multiple servers for a special client dinner, it’s so nice to embrace simple life with a serving of ultra chic. The servers are dressed rather casual with a certain je nais se quoi the French have in terms of fashion sense.

Oh and they serve a perfect breakfast each morning. They brought me croissants each morning, both plain and with chocolate (YUM) and they included various jellies. During my breakfast each morning I had humming birds (or something of the like) come to my room and sit on my patio. They love jelly, which I let out for them each day and took a ton of pictures.

I did not want to leave, but I had plans to check out Anguilla, which is also very lovely.

To note, you will need a car to get around the island as the roads are very tight and people drive pretty crazy…kind of like a bunch of NY cabbies were dropped of on this little island. Walking the whole island is not a good idea – although I tried.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. I am going back in February and this time planning the whole trip at Tom Beach. I did check out close by hotels and dined – awesome. But for my stay, I choose this quaint hotel.

Stayed September 2008
#5 of 8 in St. Jean
Hotel Baie des Anges
Hotel Baie des Anges
#3 of 4 in Anse des Flamands

Been to Tom Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!