Book In Advance

from US$55.00
from US$157.50
from US$55.00
1,516 results
All reviews gros piton halfway point tough climb half way tree roots sense of accomplishment walking stick second half twin peaks world heritage site coming down rock climbing beautiful sight strenuous hike bring lots of water decent shape two hours
Reviewed yesterday

First, I am a middle aged man, who does some regular exercise, but is by no means an athlete; more dad bod than beach bod.That should give some context to my review about how tough it is to climb Gros Piton.

Briefly it is not that tough. Speaking to one of the guides, she was 8 years old when she first climbed it and she has known a 3 year old local do it with minimal help from parents.

However, it is at the same time not the easiest climb for reasons I will elaborate on and I wouldn't necessarily bring a 3 year old. Maybe an 8 year old.

We arranged a package costing $90 US which involved return transport from accommodation in Rodney Bay, plus a guide for the hike. You have to have a guide to go up Gros Piton. Entrance to the park is now $50 US for an adult, and this changed in January 2018, where it was only $35 US previously. This caused some confusion and hassle for the taxi driver who kindly managed to sort things out and we did not have to pay the difference, but chances are prices may be more than $90 US.

The drive takes about 1.5-2 hours from Rodney Bay. Best to leave as early as possible, say 6am and get to Gros Piton early to avoid the midday heat. As it turned out, the day I went, it absolutely tipped it down with rain.

Whether it rains or not, best to bring a complete change of clothes and change of shoes just in case (say flip flops) and leave this in the taxi. After the rain, literally everything was wet and being able to change into dry clothes for the journey back is very much preferred. Taxi driver also won't appreciate you sitting in wet muddy clothes in the taxi.

Clothes wise for the hike, shorts and t shirt is fine. Good shoes are a must, don't do this in flip flops, but trainers are fine. Only thing you really need to bring on the hike is water, a camera and a bag to carry them in as you will need both hands for the hike. Ideally put the camera/phone into a sealed waterproof bag in case your bag is not waterproof and it rains. Nice things to bring are a some cash as there is a small stall just before the peak selling drinks (including beer!) and fruit, your own snacks in case you get hungry, a walking stick if you know what you are doing with it. You can hire a stick for $1 US at the start of the hike, or you can get lucky and find a stick on the route. Take your sun lotion and insect repellant, but apply it and leave it in the taxi.

The hike itself takes about 2 hours up and 2 hours down at a moderate pace. It is not a long hike and there are rest stops 1/4 way up, half way up and 3/4 way up. The difficult part of the hike is that the trail consists very little of flat prepared path. Most of it consists of boulders or rough steps made from wood and tree roots. Some parts have makeshift wooden hand rails, but not all. In some ways going down is harder than going up and you may end up sitting on muddy ground to shimmy your way down. It can be hard on your knees as any hike can be, but especially so on this as there is so much clambering over boulders and large drops of say 2 feet. The rocks and tree roots can be very slippery and if you're not careful if may end up on your bottom with a bump, although it is unlikely you will fall off the mountain. For kids however, they are likely to find this quite good fun. If you have mobility issues, then this will be tough.

Just a small point, but if you're the sort of person who doesn't like heights, Gros Piton should not be a massive issue in that you are hiking through generally dense forest and so you don't get points which are really exposed and you end up looking a long way down. It is steep but you don't get the sense of great height because of all the foliage. Animals wise, I was told no leeches and large animals. Biggest animal I saw was a mouse bizarrely. Spider webs can be seen, but didn't see any actual spiders. There is the odd mosquito so bring your insect repellant.

When I got to the top the view was obscured by clouds, but if you waited, the clouds would occasionally clear and you get a nice view down to the coast. It's not 360 degree views, but nice nonetheless. You'll stay up here for a 5-10 minutes, long enough to have a well-deserved beer.

On the way back, the taxi driver took us to lunch and ice cream in Soufriere (extra cost) and also took us rum tasting in a random little shack on the side of the road. Would have cost $2 US each, but someone bought a bottle of rum so we weren't charged for the tasting. Prices are more expensive than supermarkets, but you get to taste about 15 different rums so you'd probably make your money back and more if you try them all! By the time we returned to Rodney Bay it was about 5pm.

Thomas, our taxi driver, also gave us a small surprise, which I won't spoil, but suffice to say he was a really nice guy!

Overall, Gros Piton is worth doing and can be done by most people. Nice way to see a different part of St Lucia.

Reviewed 5 days ago

We got a fabulous view of the pitons from the plane as we came over St Lucia we went right up the island and came down the other side before landing at the airport at the bottom of the island I was so glad I got a window seat to see it all as the pitons is what everyone thinks of when seeing St Lucia. Unfortunately we didn’t get down to see them from the ground but some people in the hotel did the hike up them and said it was exillerating

Reviewed 1 week ago

Excellent view of Pitons from the viewing deck for great photos of our anniversary trip and excellent local food, with Sherby King as our local tour guide for the day-you must ask for him-he's so knowledgeable and lots of fun for a great tour!!

Reviewed 1 week ago

Awesome time, you wont regret it. I would recommend a private site seeing tour, it was the best way to go.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Took a local tour for 30.00 that went around the island and was able to get great pic of the pitons. They are beautiful and worth the time to see.

1  Thank Jaycee7200
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We went on a cruise excursion via catamaran to snorkel at the small marine reserve between the Pitons. It was great. We had a small group - about 15 people. We used our own snorkel gear. The water was shallow so the reef and fish were very, very close. There was a good variety and the water was clear. It was a roped-off marine reserve area right next to the Piton, but there was plenty of room for everyone to spread out and lots to see. Being between the Pitons was very surreal.

4  Thank 873kay
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

St. Lucia is a beautiful island with many sights and activities for the curious. One of those sights are the breathtaking Pitons; two tree carpeted peaks right on the waters edge offering a sight and pictures like nothing you have seen elsewhere in the Caribbean. Situated on the west coast of St. Lucia, these mysterious and alluring Pitons are in a location that is ideal for the traveler of many tastes. They are situated next to the historic port town of Soufriere, beautiful waterfalls and gardens, a volcano that feeds into mud baths and mineral bath waters built by French troops of King Louis XVI in 1784 reputed offer healing and therapeutic qualities.

If you are stopping at St. Lucia on your cruise, there are a variety of excursion options that allow you to experience these sights depending on your preference and adventurous spirit.

A Trip to Soufriere. This can be experienced by being driven, by boat or a combination of the two. Take the drive only if you like winding, curvy roads on steep hills. I enjoy it because the sights are incredible, but understand many people may have reservations. It’s similar to taking a New York taxi ride on Pikes Peak. The drivers usually stop at some of the towns for a break and to peruse the vendor booths. If you're lucky, you may stop for someone that lets you get a picture (for a fee) holding a monkey or a python. Once you arrive at Soufriere, many excursions either take you to a plantation for lunch, the diamond falls, mineral baths, botanical gardens, the active volcano, and or the mud baths. Many cruise lines offer different variants of the trip and you can choose the one that appeal to you. My favorite is the drive and boat combo which give you the best of all experiences.

The volcano is active, and depending on your excursion you may be allowed to walk along a cordoned path and actually be right beside the bubbling sulpher (yes it smells), but on my last trip they only drove as far as the mud baths and did not allow you to walk to the volcano (my driver pretended to turn around at the volcano so I could take a selfie of me and the volcano on the sly). The Mud baths are actually the warm runoff of sulpher infused water from the volcano. The water is tolerably warm and you can dip in and cake the sulpher/mud on you as much as you desire. It’s a lot of fun if you are with a group and feel like getting dirty – there are showers there also to rinse off, just walk carefully because it is slippery.

The Diamond Falls and botanical gardens replete with the mineral baths are a beautiful sight, just be prepared to walk. Also, unless you have the specific mineral bath excursion, you must pay to dip in the waters. I was scolded by an attendant for putting my feet in. I'm usually eager for action and adventure but have to admit these sights are definitely worth seeing. There are other excursions in the Piton area that I have not experienced such as 4x4 treks, Jeep rides, hiking or climbing, snorkeling and others. My favorite overall though is the boat ride along the coast through the clear blue waters off the coast. The sights are amazing and most of the rides offer refreshments (some catamarans offer dancing and generous rum punches). Most of the rides I have been on venture into Marigot Bay to see the sights and marina, and stop at a small beach at Anse Cochon for a rest and some snorkeling. The water is crystal clear and if you venture to the right side (facing the water from the beach) there are some small reefs where you can get some great pictures of fish. There are also 3-4 vendors in kayaks here that will come up to your boat. Don’t be afraid – these men actually have a permit to vend even though they may be shirtless and have long dreadlocks. They of course want to sell you some of their homemade wares but will leave you alone if you prefer. I’ve actually gotten to know some of them by name and look forward to seeing them every time and exchange pleasantries about families and health. Some of these guys are in their 50’s and 60’s but look 30 – we could use some of their secrets. Titus always cuts a coconut for me so can drink the pure water inside.

St. Lucia is all about attitude – leave your expectations behind and just experience with an open mind. I guarantee you it will change your life.

5  Thank Jeff T
Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

I didn't climb them, but I sure enjoyed looking at them!

The Pitons can be admired from land sea or air! Personally I recommend at them from the water. If you can get on a boat, check it out. It's a selfie pic you won't regret!

1  Thank LegoDad77
Reviewed 9 October 2018

I just have to say in addition to the zipline being pretty amazing in itself my 2 guides Silas and Omiah were AMAZING...! My group laughed all the way through. They were engaging, informative and exceptionally gifted at what they do. Obviously they love their jobs! it was a pleasure and i will definitely be doing it again!

Reviewed 25 September 2018

St. Lucia was one of our stops on a cruise. Spent the day on the very curvy road touring the island. Many gorgeous things to see. The Pitons was by far the best of the day. It was truly amazing. If you are ever in St. Lucia, you must see this.

3  Thank Scott-Diana