All reviews saga rep courtesy bus rodney bay and pigeon island saga hotel hotel is situated two double beds overlooking castries lower pool vigie beach hotel bus cabana restaurant rooftop bar optional trips st lucia no lift evening entertainment local beaches
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We spent a week in the Bel Jou and had a wonderful time. It is not an anonymous international hotel that could be anywhere it is definitely in Castries and in St Lucia and all the better for that. The deal is all inclusive and the food is good, the cocktails are great, and the entertainment is always interesting. The best thing about the place is the attitude of the staff who are all attentive, friendly and competent. They all want to make the place a success and they work to do so - it is rare to find such commitment in all the staff anywhere but the Bel Jou manages it.
Special mention to Danielle on reception and Juliana in the spa - massages are extra but worth every penny! The organised activities mean that you can see the whole island if you want to and that side of things is expertly handled by Jaffrey.

Room Tip: There are two evening meal options, the a la Carte in the cabana is interesting and fun.
Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
5  Thank simonhigman
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

This hotel will stay in my memories for ever
The staff make the hotel always smiling and singing while they work. They can't seem to walk but dance along.
The food extremely good with a wide variety to please. Drinks again good selection including cocktails. Our room was on the ground floor opening on to the garden with the large pool only a few steps away. We thoroughly recommend this hotel Manager Dean has a great team of co workers it really seems like one big happy family.
Well done to all the staff.
Smiley

Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
8  Thank playford
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I recently spent a week at Bel Jou and it was a wonderfully relaxing place to spend time.

The pools were spotlessly clean and very well maintained. The sunbeds at the upper pool were the comfiest out of the 2 with a type mattress on them making them great for taking a nap in sun!

There are a lot of steps and no lifts etc so be prepared to work those muscles as you make your way around the grounds! The grounds of the hotel are beautiful with lots of lovely flowers and plants. St Lucia itself is very lush and green and this certainly comes through around the hotel, with especially nice touches like the plant cuttings in vases at dinner.

The food was outstanding with lots of options every meal time. Breakfast options were a little repetitive but that is true of most places you visit. Lunches were brilliant especially at Lulu's cabana where you order off a menu, would definitely recommend the pizzas. Buffet lunch is also available with lots of fresh salads, cold meats and plenty of hot options too. Dinners in the buffet were far superior to the al a carte dinner menu in my opinion as food was always plentiful and hot.

The bars were brilliant especially the staff. Brandon is great and remembers every one and what you drink. Plenty of drink choices including alcoholic and non alcoholic.

However, for 4 days I was ordering the 'saga'cocktail off the non alcoholic menu and enjoying them regularly, on day 5 when asking about the ingredients it transpired that one of the ingredients had an alcohol content of 19%. If I hadn't of asked about the ingredients (to buy when home) i would never have known I had unknowingly been drinking alcohol, whilst this was not a massive problem for me personally had I been pregnant, allergic or had a problem with alcohol this could/would have caused untold damage.

All in all it was a great stay with the most wonderful staff in a beautiful location, and I would 100% go back for another visit.

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank natashasandy2
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

From the very first moment of our arrival on 24th Sept 2018 to the time for leaving two weeks later was a wonderful expierience. Staff were so attentive and could not do too much for all their guests. Staff seemed to really enjoy looking after everyone. The food was delicious both my wife and I put on around 1/2 a stone each in two weeks. One can always tell how good an establishment is by how they deal with situations when things go badly wrong. When we were there Hurricane Kirk made an appearance. Luckily it was downgraded to a tropical storm but the staff were not to know this when things started to fly around. Some staff and guests were just a little frightened. This made no difference in how the staff looked after the guests they went out of their way to ensure the safety of all concerned. This cannot be overstated, all the staff behaved impeccably, well beyond what could be expected. Some of the staff were quite rightly concerned about their own families at home in the very high winds and torrential rain. However, the BEL Jou ethos was clear to see, guests come first. A BIG WELL DONE.
Unfortunately, my wife became a little unwell on the last day. The General Manager ( Dean) did everything he could to get a doctor but due to the time constraints our flights home this was not possible but the concern and the care expressed by Dean could not be faulted. Please to say after a couple of days at home my wife is fully recovered. The caring attitude is cascaded down from management to staff. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Stayed: September 2018
5  Thank John H
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This holiday was a great offer on Bluebay, my friend and I usually go for a hotel right on the beach/seafront, happy to walk but its just lovely the hear the sea when ever you are on holiday so even though the offer was good we were not too sure we would like to be so far away. So after reading some reviews on trip advisor I messaged the hotel to ask about how far to the beach, they came back to me with it’s a 7 minute drive or maybe you could walk but would take maybe 25 mins – we figured people usually exaggerate, so we booked, now we both like a good walk but would not attempt the final bit of the hill closest to the hotel – wow, even some of the cars and buses struggle – he he he!!

Hotel – very well looked after, everywhere was always clean and tidy, the gardens are beautiful and if you look carefully you may see humming birds, the gardens are glorious, very well maintained with lots of lovely coloured flowers. The pools are cleaned daily and very early in the morning to allow people to swim early, there is a mix of furniture around the lower pool, swing chair, sun beds, some chairs and tables, all in very good condition, a self serve bar with beer, cocktails, rum punch and wine (red, white and rose all from bottles) and a smoking pagoda with some chairs and a table, there were 3 other smoking areas scattered around which were all in pretty spots – (to be honest I couldn’t find a spot that wasn’t pretty!) I don’t smoke so it was nice to not have smoking everywhere! The maintenance team do a great job keeping everything neat and lovely. The ladies at reception do have the patience of saints!! They were lovely and helpful throughout our stay, booking trips, the shuttle, spa appointments, dinner bookings etc. The initial welcome to Bel Jou is quite lovely and very personal , a small greeting party depending on how many are arriving, a welcome drink in the lounge while you fill in the required forms, then a personal guide through the hotel to your room, in the mean time your bags are on the wan to your room! Very nice touch!!

Spa – a nice little spa, I had a pedicure with the wonderful Juliana, the spa has limited treatments but my pedicure was fabulous we were due to have massages but never got around to it, but I spoke to some people who had a massages and they said Juliana may be very small but she has very powerful hands!

Food – now this is an all-inclusive hotel, you kinda expect beige food – not here!! The Verandah Restaurant (the main one) did breakfast and buffet lunch daily then in the evening they alternated between buffet and A la Carte. The buffets for both lunch and dinner were very good – lots of nice fresh salads and lots of vegetables, always some fish (pleased me as a pescatarian) there was also meat and chicken, and a variety of local dishes, on the A La Carte night there was still a decent variety and all the food my friend and I had was beautifully presented and very tasty. On week 2 however it was all change!! A room by Lulu’s (I will come this soon!) was transformed into a fine dining experience with a great menu, fantastic service and stunning food! I asked if something could be remove from what I ordered and it was no problem, it took a little longer for the food to come as you would expect but the staff kept checking we were ok and topping up the Shiraz! The food was delicious and beautifully presented. Massive compliments and thanks to all the catering team for looking after us sooooo well – Gideon, thank you for our last 2 meals!!
So, back to Lulu’s Cabana (there is a Lulu and she’s lovely) – pool side snack and cocktail bar, what more could you want? A nice selection of salads, sandwiches, meals and pizza, the pizza was very good, don’t be fooled by its size, it packs a punch! There’s a nice pace and laid back vibe here. Around the corner is the coffee shop, open all day but serves afternoon tea with sandwiches, cakes and crème scones - just to keep you going through the rest of the afternoon!
The roof terrace was a spectacular spot, spacious, nice bar awesome views, I would start and end most days here, yoga early in the morning surrounded by the amazing views and all the sights and sounds of a place coming to life, then after dinner and the entertainment a few drinks under the stars!

The room my friend and I shared was spacious, spotless (thanks to a wonderful housekeeping team who you could often hear singing as they worked, lovely to hear!) the beds were very confortable, the pillows were perfect and there was plenty of space for clothing and storage, bathroom again spotless, great shower lots of power and hot water, a bonus too that they use the same plugs as in the UK so for us Brits no fiddling with adaptors! The balcony looked over the pool, the sea, the gardens and the main part of the hotel – it was a stunning view! Oh how I miss it!!

We were there when Tropical Storm Kirk came calling; the hotel team were very calmly making the arrangements to keep the guests the staff and the hotel safe. They were not creating any fuss and were helping to calm peoples concerns but they did a great job in securing everything. Some people took food and drink to their rooms, some made it to a makeshift restaurant in the lobby room – the team had set up tables and chairs here for dinner The Verandah was totally exposed to Kirk! We went to dinner prepared with our pac-a-mac poncho’s, some of the hotel staff were on hand dressed in full wet weather gear and were walking people to their rooms or to the makeshift restaurant, taking drinks and food to rooms and they were still smiling!! Some hotel staff couldn’t make it home in the storm and stayed on to make sure we were all ok. The team on duty including Dean the GM were all amazing – thank you every one of you!! The next morning Dean was on the PA system asking if we could give him a wave from our balconies to show we were ok, he then played a few tunes including “I can see clearly now the rain has gone” well it made us laugh!! It was all handled extremely well in a very calm and efficient manor and the clear up was very efficient too, a few hours later you would not have know Kirk came to town! Just a short while later there was also a slight earth tremor – Tropical storm! Earth Tremor, this takes all-inclusive to a whole new level!

The following week the team had another challenge – they had set up a stunning BBQ night around Lulu’s area only to have the heavens open, thankfully the team had strategically positioned to food under shelter but then had to get tables, chairs & people undercover! Makeshift dining area!! Another great example of pre-planning, not conceding to events of nature before they happen and then making a great experience. Thank you again!!

So I guess in summery my friend and I had a truly fantastic & memorable holiday at Bel Jou – loved every minute! I would highly recommend a visit. It's, calm, peaceful (not on karaoke night!) Love the hotel even though it’s not on the beach – the journey on the bus was always and adventure!!

The last word really has to go to Dean and the whole team at Bel Jou WOW!!!
Love and miss you all!!
Ruby

Room Tip: I stayed on the 3rd floor and the views were stunning!
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled with friends