“A relaxing place to stay”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a beautiful and peaceful hotel, not too far from Castries, by the sea and between the other two Sandals properties with lush garden vegetation and fantastic friendly staff. My new husband and I had a wonderful 12 nights here September/October 2013 for our honeymoon. Overall we had an amazing time. The review below is aimed at being as helpful as possible.

We had a fairly standard room - it looked onto the gardens, the cabanas and was ground floor. It was absolutely lovely. It was well equipped, but not a fancy room. I spoke to other couples who had fancy rooms/butler service etc, but we preferred to stay longer at a cheaper room and do fantastic trips, then spend money on the room/butler etc and have less time to explore the Island! Each to their own depending on your budget and priorities.

The staff are so friendly and helpful, they literally could do no more to ensure we were comfortable and enjoying ourselves. I cannot fault the staff - they were amazing!

The choice of food at the hotel was great - I'm quite fussy (no pork/seafood/fish) and I had no problems with food. Another thing, the food was always well cooked, tasty and safe (usually when I go on trips I get some sort of disagreement - not at all). The choice of food was great, especially when you add the restaurants at the other two Sandals to the mix (make reservations!)
Our favourites: Kellys Dockside and Marios at the Halcyon, Kimonos, Sushi and Le Pitons at La Toc, and the creperie and pizza place at Grande.

The Halcyon is a lot smaller then the other two Sandals hotels on St Lucia which makes it more relaxing and tranquil. We loved the fact we could stay at one and play at three - otherwise we would've probably got bored (we're not really beach people). However, there were plenty of activities to do at all three hotels and the complimentary shuttle runs every couple of hours and allows you to plan days at La Toc and Grande.

There definitely was more going on at the other two hotels, but this made our hotel less rowdy! There was still a pool scene at the sunset pool early evening, and a bar or two in the evening, but it was quieter at nightime. We found we were exhausted by 10:30pm so it suited us well, but you could have had wilder nights out at the other two resorts and got the last shuttle or a cab back. Spring break/party animals will prefer the other two Sandals.

Just a piece of advice:
It was our honeymoon and despite putting it all over our booking, and emailing the hotel a few times in advance, it took us reminding our travel company (Virgin Holidays) that we were honeymooners for the hotel to acknowledge we were honeymooners. Once they knew, we got a lot of lovely things: a complimentary bottle of bubbles, breakfast in bed (limited selection), a honeymooners embrace evening, photoshoot and one pic in frame and discounts off massage and candlelit dinner. So it is worth making sure they know if its a special occasion if your package includes certain things.

We loved our candlelit dinner, very romantic on the beach with an excellent professional butler and white collar service. It was an expensive but worthwhile experience.

Before our honeymoon Sandals had sent us a lot of emails about booking the candlelit dinner in advance to ensure availability, so we booked it, but when we got the honeymooners pack with the discount off for honeymooners when they realised we were honeymooners, they initially wouldn't allow us to have the discount as we had booked in advance, but we spoke to our holiday reps (Virgin Holidays), they ensured we could get the discount refunded as honeymooners.

Basically, I'm usually a polite tourist who doesn't stand up for things - but my St Lucian holiday rep reminded me to push for the things that the holiday entitles you to. We had spent a lot of money and paid more for a Sandals experience for our honeymoon. Better to push and remind the hotel when you are there, then miss out and go home and moan!

Piece of advice: its probably not worth paying for the very expensive private Sandals picnic at Pigeon Island! Pigeon Island is definitely worth visiting - highly recommend - excellent walk uphill and fantastic ruins, take good walking shoes and a camera and water bottles! It is literally just off the beach by the Sandals Grande - simply get the free shuttle to that hotel, have food and drink there, walk along the beach to Pigeon Island (max 5 mins walk.. absolute tops!) Pay $6 per person to get into Pigeon National Park and then you're in... no need for a picnic - you're next to the Sandals Grande - we did get thirsty and found a bar in the park - but afterwards we just popped back to the Grande after our walk and ate lunch there. No need to lug a picnic around!

Other trips we did: Joe Knows - excellent, fab, awesome, but then I think every couple we met enjoyed their equivalent trips which basically did the same thing - speed boat, marigot bay, mud baths, snorkelling, volcano etc.

One thing Virgin holidays didn't tell us in advance - once you stay at a Sandals, you generally have to go with their stuff - eg trips out with Island Routes trips which can be pricier. We loved the Chocolate Decadence trip which involved the bean to bar Hotel Chocolat experience, and a Jungle jeep safari - brilliant!

Also, if your package says you get a private transfer from the airport to the hotel, make sure you get one or complain! We had to share with another couple - but our holiday company did refund this as.

Overall an amazing holiday and we loved the Sandals Halcyon. The gardens and cabanas are like paradise and it is so peaceful. The other two are busier, nosier and more to do, but why not relax in beautiful surroundings at the Halcyon and if you want a bit more action, just take the shuttle over to La Toc or Grande whenever you fancy.

Room Tip: Away from the pools, facing the gardens was lovely. We had a ground floor room and it was very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hezel13
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2013

Thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach.
Your honeymoon visit seems to have been the perfect balance of relaxation and fun activities! You really got to explore all three resorts and also the beautiful island and it's rich culture. I am sure many guests will find your review very helpful and we appreciate your feedback as well!
We hope to welcome you back in the near future for more island adventures!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Sandals Halcyon is located between the two other Sandals resorts on St. Lucia and it is a short shuttle bus ride between the other resorts which takes about 15 minutes. We found the resort grounds to be beautiful and well maintained and the staff was extremely friendly and professional. We were checked in promptly and escorted to our room by Zanius who was enthusiastic and friendly and greeted us all week with a hearty smile. We had a first floor room in building 6 which faces the Paradise pool. This is a great building because there is little road noise and limited foot traffic. The room was neat & clean and kept nicely by our housekeeper Colette. Halcyon does not have the "wow" factor of many of the other Sandals and competing resorts but it is quaint and many refer to it as a "boutique" resort. I think this is an appropriate description. Most of the other guests we spoke to really loved the quiet atmosphere and lack of boisterous activities. This does not mean there is nothing to do. There is nightly entertainment, water sports, numerous bars & restaurants, 2 pools, the hot tubs and the beach. We especially enjoyed the Paradise pool which is the "quiet" pool and our favorite bartender Agnes was just the sweetest person who was always ready with a fresh drink. The Bayside restaurant provided an excellent breakfast buffet and nightly meals. We also particularly enjoyed the light fare at the Bistro and were kindly greeted by Martha with a warm smile at each seating. The view is wonderful. If you are looking for a white sand beach and turquoise water, this is not the place. However the beach was very nice and quiet, seating was readily available and the view was lovely. The beach vendors were not offensive and usually left you alone upon simply expressing your lack of interest. They also seem to remember each tourist and did not repeatedly approach you on subsequent days. Halcyon does appear to be an older resort which is a bit dated and showing some age, but maintenance appears to be constant and the staff keeps things in good repair. I think some of the appeal to us, as well as many others, is that Halcyon offers an older and more subtle degree of luxury. It is a more personal experience and you really feel that the staff gets to know you and that you are coming home each evening if you chose to leave the grounds for a tour or a visit to the other Sandals. All in all, it was wonderful and relaxing. Sandals delivered.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear and away from the road are more quiet. Buildings 5 & 6
7  Thank marylandtraveler59

Thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach.
You did a wonderful job at capturing this resorts unique charm and cozy atmosphere. The staff is always willing to do all they can to make sure you have the most relaxing vacation and you can always explore the other resorts as well!
We look forward to having you return soon!

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had a wonderful time at Sandals Halcyon. The food was terrific and the friendly staff went way out of their way to take care of any needs. For anyone who is a scuba diver, I found the dive staff to be particularly professional and supportive around both first-time divers and those who are fully certified. It is true that Internet access is rather "weak", but we were not there to spend a vacation online!

3  Thank CalCarp

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Sandals Halcyon Beach.
We are thrilled that you had an amazing visit at our resort and that our staff was able to make your stay such a pleasant one! We will forward all of your kind remarks to the team.
We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

Sandals Halcyon was a fantastic place for my wife and I to go on our honeymoon. After a year of wedding planning stress we just wanted to relax on a tropical beach for a week, and this was the perfect place to do it. It's clean, mellow, up-to-date, astonishingly beautiful, and the staff is wonderful. I can see how it wouldn't be the sort of place for everyone, but I do have to say that I'm surprised at a few of the negative reviews I've read.
Halcyon is the smallest of Sandals' resorts on the island, and also the oldest. Though I didn't get to visit the Grande, I did get over to La Toc and have to say that I preferred the more laid back community feel of Halcyon to the busier hotel feel of its younger sister-sites.
The food was overall quite good, with Mario's being particularly so. Also, the food at Monday night's BBQ was very good. The food at Kimonos, the on-site hibachi, was different from any other Japanese I've had. While not at all bad, it wasn't at all what I'd expected. My wife bonded with Spencer, one of the servers there, who went out of his way to say hello to us for the rest of our stay. The weakest food on the entire site, oddly enough, is probably the burgers and hot dogs. We each only ordered one once, and learned our lesson.
A definite weak spot around the bars was beer. The only things served were Piton, the local island lager which I really wasn't a fan of, and Heineken. On an excursion I was actually excited at the prospect of having a Corona, which may have been a first for me. I was also a little disappointed by the whiskey selection, but that's just a matter of taste.
Everything else about the bars was wonderful. I spent quite a bit of time at them. A few folks I have to make note of were Agnes, who made the best rum punch I had on or off the resort. She was incredibly sweet and I made a point to walk over to the bar she worked at by the garden pool at least once a day just to get one and say hello. My other favorite bartender was Shara. She is a master of her craft, managing a busy bar while remembering what everyone was drinking and how they liked theirs poured while cracking jokes and just seeming to have fun.
We stayed in a concierge room toward the back of the result, and I understand why people made note of the sound of traffic. When we arrived I made note of it and was concerned, but honestly it was a non-issue for me or my wife. We didn't spend much time in our room other than to sleep and the noise largely died down at night and was overwhelmed by the chirping of tropical frogs. I do understand that it could be an issue for some.
While not technically part of the resort there are a few other things worth mentioning. St. Lucia's beaches are all public, including the one accessed from the resort. There are a few vendors who wander the beach and will offer to sell things (bead jewelry, carved coconuts, etc) to tourists. They were actually all extremely polite and more than willing to talk about the island and willing to take "no" for an answer. So long as you aren't the sort of person who is easily talked into buying things you don't want, I strongly suggest being open to talking to them, ESPECIALLY Rasta Charlie, the vendor set up by the pool bar. It may seem like a terrible idea to let the rastaman on the beach take you off the resort to the Friday night street party nearby, but in reality it may be the best decision of your life. Also, if you're interested in touring the island (which I hope you are, as it's beautiful) the Joe Knows tour can be booked in the Halcyon lobby and is well worth the money. The guides are extremely energetic and friendly people who genuinely seem to look at what they do less as work than an opportunity to show people around a place they love while partying.
Overall, I strongly suggest the Halcyon if you're looking for a place to relax that's conducive to meeting new people over drinks. If you're looking for more of a dance party atmosphere, or a more "hotel-like" experience look elsewhere. Good vibes.

Room Tip: We were quite happy with concierge service. The butler suites got an ocean view, but we spent so lit...
5  Thank GaelicHero

Hello and thank you for your review!
We are delighted that Sandals Halcyon Beach was the perfect romantic setting for your honeymoon and suited your needs very well! As you said, this is the place that will provide you with that cozy, intimate feel and you certainly be able to totally relax!
We look forward to welcoming you back for another lovely visit to paradise!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

We spent our honeymoon there. We didn't know much about Sandals or St Lucia before going. Our first surprise is the impressive number of US couples - so, if you have something agains americans (we don't), this shouldn't be your place.

We had an almost perfect vacations. The restaurants are impressively good, the drinks are amazing (always check if they're using the good spirits or the Jamaican ones) and all the staff was great. Our room had a little dust smell, so we asked for a change and they did it really fast.

The beach on Halcyon is definitely NOT the most beautiful you will find in the Caribbean Sea. There are others with more colors. It's still a very nice and relaxing beach. One good thing is the fact you can go to other resorts using the shuttle service. This shuttle could be better. They only arrive each 2 hours and sometimes get really full.

Sandals Halcyon is a little more quiet and silent than Grande and La Toc, the other 2 Sandals on the island. If you're looking for parties and more options, you should definitely look for the other 2 resorts. If your thing is to be near the nature and in a really quiet spot, Halcyon is your place.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Hideout area. They're are a little more far from the lobby and the beach, but a...
3  Thank jacksenna
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Just returned from our vacation at Sandals Halcyon. It was my husband and I along with another couple. My husband and I were celebrating our 22nd anniversary. We all had an amazing time!!! I just read a review from a lady in Pensacola, FL and couldn't image that we stayed at the same place because our experience was NOTHING like that. We did have an ocean front butler room that was well worth it. Our butlers Wilard, Sylvia, Claudia, Joylyn took care of every need and then some. We dined at all the restaurants on the property except for Mario's and the food was great. The butlers served us one night up on a patio and the steak was amazing.. I read the reviews before booking and I knew the ocean wasn't crystal blue on the property but we enjoyed the beach and the butlers reserved our chairs each day and packed our coolers and done the same if we went to the pool for the day. The beer of the island is Piton which was very good. We done the Island Route Soufriere buggies tour and it was fantastic!! It was 6 hrs for beautiful scenic views and fun. I would highly recommend Halcyon. They all went above and beyond to be sure we all had a great experience. Thank you Sandals and please be sure to let Willard, Claudia, Sylvia, and Joylyn know Scott and Little Mama had a fantastic time!! We did take the helicopter instead of the shuttle transfer that was really nice and much quicker.

Room Tip: Do a Butler beachfront room
2  Thank bethhall1
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Upon arrival at the Halycon I thought I was in heaven, unfortunately upon departure I was gravely mistaken. To start on the first night staying here I tried to order a drink and was told “no” (after my boyfriend was given a hard time trying to order a glass of milk) and then the bar tender laughed and poured me what was left in the blender, a good drink never the less but not what I wanted. When I complained to management I was told that server would not be on shift the rest of the week, which she was which made for a very awkward and not very relaxed environment around the only night time bar.
At Mario’s I burnt my hand on a “hot” plate which was so hot the burn went straight to blister while I was at the dinner table. When I complained, I was told “Madame you were warned it was hot” not even an apology.
Room was not cleaned properly, see glass picture. Don’t know why I expected my glasses to be cleaned, and not just rinsed out.
On my second to last day there I went snorkeling on one of the Sandals boats. While getting ready to go into the water, I stepped on glass aboard the boat. When I told the crew one lady immediately asked if I had indeed actually stepped on glass, like I was mistaken about the glass in my foot. A man collected it from my foot and said yes indeed it was glass. Then some rogue first aid was done on my foot, as the whole bottle of alcohol was pressed to my foot and washed, thereby contaminating the whole bottle for future use. Any basic first aid training would teach you this. I did see the doctor on site the next day, at the request of Sandals, as I waited to see if anyone would check in with me first regarding my injury but no one came.
When I contacted Sandals about this injury, they said it did not happen. It was documented as a splinter. Well how would I have gotten a splinter on a motorboat and why send me to see anyone for a splinter? Bottom line someone is covering up that there was glass on the boat! So if you do get injured, first document, document, document and check what the hotel is writing in their report, even check the doctor’s report. Just protect yourself because Sandals does not care about its guests.
Day 5 and I am still waiting for a reply after they called me a lier.
It’s a shame really I planned on being a Sandals customer for life. Well on to SECRETS for me now!!!!
And don’t let Sandal keep you from a beautiful island with beautiful folks. The bean to bar trip was the best excursion I have ever been on, and I have been on quite a few, even better than diving with turtles in Maui, especially if you love chocolate.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Rachel T
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Thank you for your review, Rachel.
We were disappointed to hear that your stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach was not as expected. After receiving your initial complaint letter, we did launch a very thorough investigation regarding the incident you described on our dive boat. I apologize if you felt that you were being unnecessarily questioned but we wanted to ensure we accurately obtained all of your information so that we could best help you.
All staff members receive Emergency First Response Training. We do see that your foot was looked at on the boat by the dive staff and after you completed your snorkeling trip you were seen by our licensed nurse.
We regret to hear that you were unhappy with your treatment at the resort and that the offer we extended to you was not satisfactory. If you still have further concerns about your trip, we encourage you to reconnect with our customer service department.
I hope this message finds you well.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
#4 of 12 in Castries
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!