“5 Year Anniversary - A Perfect Getaway!”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Regina, Canada
“5 Year Anniversary - A Perfect Getaway!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We just got back from 10 days in Saint Lucia and I wanted to post this while everything is still fresh in my mind. Overall we had an amazing trip. The people of Saint Lucia are polite, soft spoken, helpful, and friendly beyond belief. We stayed at the Halcyon in a concierge suite for the full 10 day trip from Nov 28-Dec 8th for our 5th anniversary, and I've laid out a detailed review for anyone interested.

After reading a shocking list of the 'terrible' reviews for all three Sandals resorts I just want to start by saying your vacation -- and your good time on it -- is what you make of it. We had our own ups and downs at all 3 resorts but our goal was to have an amazing vacation in the tropics and that's exactly what he had because we made it amazing. We didn't sweat the small stuff and when things weren't right we fixed them, period.

I wanted to start off with the Halcyon's staff because they're the ones who made our stay extra special. I hope Sandals offers incentives or perks for each of those we named because they've earned it. In no particular order:

Staff:
Chevonic,Check-in Concierge: He made 23 hours of travelling totally worth it; he also went out of his way when I misplaced my credit card and phoned multiple shops at La Toc just to help us out.
Robert, Kelly's Dockside/Bayside Server: Our favourite server! We had many great conversations and shared a lot of laughs; he even came to find us in the lobby as we waited for our shuttle just to say an extra goodbye - we hope to see you again very soon and wish you all the best!
Agnes, Paradise Pool Bar: My husband adored you and loved chatting with you at the bar! It's clear to see when someone enjoys their work and Agnes is the perfect example of this.
Angel, Derrick, Spencer, Oneil, Tammy, Jarvis, Nelson and all staff at Kimonos/Soy: We had such great meals and a wonderful time that we went back four times! Great energy, great food, great staff and chefs... What more can we say?
Tammy, La Toc Soon Come Back desk: Thank you for answering our questions time and again. You made selecting next year's trip to Antigua a reality and saved us a ton of $$$ in the process!
Lavearne, Resort shop: You helped me spend way more than I meant to, and I had such a great time chatting with you that no price can be placed on it, converted to EC dollars or Cdn!
Anselma & Roland, Concierge: You were both so helpful throughout our trip (like the time my husband lost me and you helped with the search!) but you made everything absolutely perfect when we forgot a personal item at another resort the day of departure and you went out of your way to get a simple straw hat shuttled to the Sandals airport desk just so I wouldn't be without it after travelling with it through 3 continents and many more countries...that's exactly what customer service and the Sandals experience is all about

Arrival:
Once we arrived in Saint Lucia customs took less than an hour and Sandals reps took care of our luggage and guided us through to a Sandals lounge where rum punch and a place to stretch was offered. We didn't have to wait long for our shuttle before we were off to our resort. (Bring some $5/$10 US bills; they say no tipping is required for anything but a little thank you to the baggage handler and driver doesn't hurt.)

I'll also take a moment to mention motion sickness at this point because if you're prone to it be prepared! The shuttle trip is 1-1/2 hours of winding, twisting, turning roads that go up and down and every which way in between. I loaded up on gravol and still barely made it to the resort (or airport return) without being sick. I didn't know until later that a helicopter transfer could've been arranged. It would be well worth the money- won't forget for next time!

Check-in:
We had concierge service for our stay and this included priority check-in with baggage delivery to our room, champagne in the club lounge, cool cloths to refresh ourselves with, invitations to weekly manager's events, and a stocked bar in-room. We weren't told about or set up with free wi-fi as part of our concierge package until the day before we left, but as this trip included a complete digital detox on our part this wasn't a big deal. Just mentioning this as it should've been included with our welcome. (Just remember to inquire if you want to stay connected: Wi-fi is $15 US /day or $42/week if you're in a lower grade package.) We also made several mentions of celebrating our anniversary with our early on-line check in, as well as numerous times at the resort as we were led to believe something special would be offered, but nothing ever came about. Not a huge deal, but a bit disappointing. Check-in went very smoothly otherwise.

Room:
Our room had all the amenities we could ask for and was modern, very clean and well-kept. House cleaning services were always prompt, turn down services as well, and our mini bar was stocked with our preferences on a regular basis. We were on the 2nd floor of 500 block and had a beautiful view of the gardens and pool. Some reviews complain about street noise but we never heard anything from our room so a big thumbs up for 500 block.

Other Saint Lucia Sandals:
Sandals has a brilliant concept of 'Stay at One, Play at Three' and this let us stay at the Halcyon and enjoy all the restaurants, beaches, shops, scenery, and more at both the Grande and La Toc. Shuttles run between all three resorts starting at 7am until 11pm, and the Halcyon was great for this; being in between both resorts meant shuttles were only 15min in either direction.

Grounds:
Service was outstanding at all three resorts, but the intimacy of Halcyon was superb. Spectacular gardens were maintained throughout, and there were a half dozen cabanas always available to lounge in, not to mention fire pits to enjoy during the evening, (despite the temperature never needing a place to warm by!) The bars were well-stocked, but as with other all-inclusives if you want top shelf liquor you have to order it by name. We were able to order specific liquor for our room at a small charge but it was worth it.

Recommendations:
Some areas could use things like new furniture and other updating as they're beginning to show their age and wear/tear. The Bayside dining area especially could also use a facelift and I think this would do wonders for the resort as a whole because it is the centre of most activity. Overall though the resort looked great: linens were always being replaced, grounds pruned, and everything looked cared for and maintained.

Bugs:
I've read about terrible bugs, and I wonder if this is a seasonal problem during the summer months because my husband and I got a total of 1 mosquito bite each. There were geckos and frogs, not to mention some cats wandering the grounds, and this was just fine by me as it kept the bugs down to basically zero. We also received notice under our door one day that pest control would be spraying to keep pests down and we simply stored things off the floor for that morning. No left over smells or irritants bothered us.

Food & Drink:
Overall the food experience was quite good, and again - you have to be open to the culture and country's offerings. There was a ton of fish offered at every meal and a lot of stews that were melt in your mouth delicious. We learned a pastry chef was on site and he made some very tasty creations my husband loved. Again, I would recommend Halcyon update some of their services like adding the self-serve coffee bar like the Grande/La Toc has, and even investing in new furniture and presentation stations. (Presentation counts!)

The Bayside breakfast and lunch buffets at Halcyon were good but not great, and we tried both buffets at the Grande and La Toc and found them to be much better. A lot of menus will have signature dishes and recommendations and I suggest you take them up on it - these are the dishes they've perfected and you won't be disappointed. Kelly's Dockside at Halcyon was delicious and the service was great both times we went. The BBQ banquet at the Grande was fantastic and one day my husband even had roasted lamb for lunch... talk about a spread! Toscanini's (Grande) was incredible Italian (best seafood risotto ever - more seafood than risotto!) and the French restaurant La Toc with white glove service was lovely. (The best filet mignon I've ever had!) One of my favourites was Neptune's (La Toc) as we got to have lunch overlooking the ocean and indulge in calamari, greek salad, amazing onion rings, and thin crust mediterranean pizza. The portions weren't huge and I really appreciated this; 3-4 onion rings as an appetizer is all a person needs, and not some greasy basket that requires you to be rolled out of the restaurant afterwards!

Bar service was always prompt and there were good standouts. Agnes was a complete doll at the Paradise Pool (Halcyon) and George was a wicked server at La Toc. La Toc should keep both of their bars open during the day as it is awkward to walk all the way around the grounds to get to the bar (otherwise you have to go to the bar through the pool). We never had issues with watered down drinks, but we also didn't venture into a lot of bizarre mixed drinks, just stuck with top shelf liquor. Remember, if you want top shelf, order it by name or be stuck with things like 'Old Tom' gin, etc.

Pools:
Each of the 3 resorts seems to have a 'party pool' where Sandals Playmakers play music (much too loud for my liking) and a 'quiet pool' where you can laze around and relax more. I do think the resorts need to scale back the party atmosphere at these pools as it seems like more couples are there to relax together than to listen to dance hall music and partake in bingo games, water olympics, etc. This was the general consensus for most couples we spoke with so Sandals needs to take note of this and adjust accordingly. (I will say they did turn down the music when weddings occurred and I did think that was a thoughtful gesture.)

The pools themselves are very well maintained with beautiful scenery, and plenty of bar service close at hand. Some seating was tight on certain days, and I can imagine seating everyone is a real challenge when the resorts are full. We never had trouble finding loungers at any resorts, though, and despite 'no reserving of seats' everyone does it, so get used to it and get on board. Also, Sandals could invest in more umbrellas at all pools.

Overall I would highly recommend Saint Lucia as a whole and the Sandals chain of resorts here as well. We're already looking to our next vacation and Sandals will be part of the planning, whether it's elsewhere in the Caribbean or back to Saint Lucia and it's great people. Make your vacation yours and don't let the little things bother you - and don't get hung up on nasty reviews either. If we all listened to every terrible review out there we'd never go anywhere, and I wouldn't have missed Saint Lucia and our Sandals experience for anything.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
11 Thank KimchiGoddess_12
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Hello and thank you for sharing a bit about your fantastic expereince at Sandals Halcyon Beach. We appreciate your numerous compliments about our staff and that they were able to make your stay such a pleasant one!
I am deeply sorry for the oversight in recognizing your 5th Anniversary celebrations and please feel free to message me when you have set your plans to visit with Sandals again! I would be happy to assist you.
It was our pleasure to have had you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (988)
  • Slovak first
Omaha, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Halcyon for a wedding, and I am SO impressed!! We stayed in a Deluxe room (least expensive room available) and had a room in the 200 block. The room had nice furnishings but definitely could use some updating, especially the flooring/bathroom. Our locks and mini-fridge were replaced during our stay but it didn't interrupt our plans. The staff was extremely apologetic and we appreciated the sentiment! The wedding staff was so incredible! The hair stylist, special wait staff (have to give a shout out to Stacey!), photographer (Lanna) and videographer (Daran) were great! We had such a wonderful time with each and every one of them! The playmakers were hilarious and so much fun! By the end of our time here we truly felt like family! Agnes at the quiet pool is an absolute doll! I would highly recommend Halcyon if you're looking for a intimate, friendly, down-to-earth and carefree vacation experience!! You won't be sorry!

Room Tip: The Deluxe rooms in the 200 block are affordable and in a good location!!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KikiB228
Hello and thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach.
We are delighted to hear about some of the fantasitc experiences you had during your stay! The staff does indeed think of each guest as their family and will go out of thier way to see to it that you truly enjoy your time spent in St. Lucia.
We hope to welcome you back home soon!
College Station, Texas
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I had never been to a Sandals resort before but i loved it and plan on going back. Got the concierge room and thought it was way worth it. They make all your reservations for you and stock it with whatever booze you ask for. Make sure you ask for something better than what they give you. Food is good at the Halcyon but better at the other two on the island. It is real easy to get to the other two and we liked the Halcyon because it was quieter during the day and night. Being smaller than the other two with less activities made it easier to just relax by the pool or on the beach. Do the Joe knows tour worth the money and a great way to see the island

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank James M
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 December 2013
Hello and thank you for your review, Joseph.
We are so happy that your stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach was perfect from beginning to end and you were able to get some much needed R&R! Being able to also visit the our other two beautiful properties really maximizes your fun!
We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Spalding, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is the smaller of the 3 Sandals resorts on St Lucia and is a little quieter than the other 2. Our room was perhaps in need of a little TLC and could do with redecorating it did not detract from a perfect holiday. 5 star service from arrival to departure with more than enough choice of meals and activities for us. I just can't fault our 1st all inclusive experience. We will return to Sandals again ASAP

Room Tip: Up grade to concierge room would be a good idea
3 Thank Richard B
Hello there and thank you for your review, Richard!
Our staff will be so pleased to know that they were able to make your first Sandals experience such a pleasant one! They think of each guest as their extended family and you can really feel the warmth at this cozy resort.
We look forward to welcoming you back!
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Sandals, once again delivered a wonderful vacation. We had a hard time deciding which Sandals resort in St. Lucia to pick for our vacation. We were glad we stayed at Halcyon. We are a couple in our early 50's and we were not looking for a lot of night life, although there is nightly entertainment. We picked Halcyon because we wanted a quiet, homey atmosphere, and that is exactly what we got. Because it is a smaller resort, you can get to know some of the other vacationers as you keep running into them -- it is definitely a more intimate resort. We thought the staff (except for one person -- more on that later) was extremely friendly. A special "hello" to a couple of the staff that made our vacation a little nicer -- Zanius (very friendly and energetic), Martha, Agnes, and Collette (our maid, and a very sweet, nice person, who did an excellent job of keeping our room perfect). The beach is small and the water is not too clear, but very pretty nevertheless and there is almost no water activity other than what the Halcyon guests are utilizing. The resort is very lush with nice views and we enjoyed all of our meals. It appears to be an older resort, but well maintained.

We did visit the other two resorts -- which I highly recommend doing. We didn't spend too much time at La Toc, but this resort has a lot of character and is very beautiful, although not much beach and the water is not particularly clear.

The Grand , on the other hand, has a spectacular view and beautiful clear water. However, there are a lot more people staying there and it is a much louder, livelier group. There is also a lot of activity in the water around this resort.

There are vendors almost everywhere you go (including the beaches) -- a little annoying, but not overwhelming.

Some recommendations:

The island of St. Lucia is REALLY beautiful, try to see as much of it as possible. We did the Joe Knows tour and loved it. It was a great way to see most of the highlights of the island.

We were told by several other people that the Sandals super snorkeling trip (I believe $50 per person and offered twice a week) was really great, but since we did the Joe Knows tour, we did not do this.

Definitely go to the other resorts (get in line for the bus plenty early if you want to ensure you make it on the bus)

There is a national park within easy walking distance of The Grande. It cost $6.00 US per person to get in. If you like to hike, this is a definite must see. You can walk to the top of Fort Rodney and the views cannot be beat! There is also a small pub in the basement of the pink building close to where you enter the park. It only seats about 8 people but it is so quaint and worth buying and having a beer there. (a special thanks to the people from PA visiting Halcyon who told us about it!) I would have been sooo upset if I had heard about this after we got home.

We did a sunset cruise. It turned out to be a party booze cruise, which isn't what we were looking for, but turned out to be entertaining. The one employee we thought could have been a little more pleasant was Jacqueline at the Island Routes tour desk. We were waiting to go on the sunset tour when it was discovered at the time the tour was supposed to leave that someone had not paid. We were not too happy as we left at least 20 minutes late (it was a sunset cruise, and we were not happy wondering if we were going to miss the sunset!) I think if Island Routes was more organized there would not have been a problem as the people involved in the discrepancy were waiting in the lobby before we got there, and we got there plenty early. Had Jacqueline been a little friendlier before this event and handled the problem a little better, I am sure we would not have been as anxious.

One more thing -- no Verizon wireless service at the airport or Halcyon. There was service through LIME at The Grande and the cost was $1.00 for two text messages.

I highly recommend St. Lucia and Sandals Halcyon!

Room Tip: Our room was not near the road and it was very quiet.
5 Thank Kathy N
Hello and thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach, Kathy!
We are so pleased that you had a fantastic time during your stay with us and that our resort perfectly suited your needs. Thank you so much for all of your feedback and we will be sending your suggestion to the appropriate departments for further review.
We hope to see you again very soon!
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This was our first Sandals experience, and we liked it so much that we booked another stay while there. The food was amazing, the drinks were good quality, and the service was excellent. We received superior service at Halcyon than we did at Grande or La Toc, although we do not have any complaints about any of the locations.

I have so much information to share, that it will probably be a week before I have all of the details on my blog. There was a slight snafu with our room type, and we did not receive the Club level room we had booked. The way that Sandals handled this overbooking is part of what made us future Sandals' guests. I used to teach customer service classes, and I know that the way a company handles a problem is critical. Sandals did this right! Thank you for everything!

3 Thank IrisT
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, 30 November 2013
Hello and thank you for your thoughtful review, Iris.
We are delighted that you had a wonderful time at Sandals Halcyon Beach and that you thoroughly enjoyed your first visit at a Sandals resort. We are proud of our team for taking such great care of you and for making sure that the booking issue was resolved quickly so that you could enjoy the rest of your time in St. Lucia.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your upcoming trip!
Happy Travels!
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Me and my partner are in our mid thirties and have been to many carribean islands and stayed at other 5 star hotels. The Halcyon did not let us down!!! We were in a lovely room in the 800 block and although this backed onto the road we never heard any traffic. The rooms were spotless, the mini bar was fully restocked on a daily basis with everything including champagne.The concierge brought us water to the room late one evening when we ran out by just making a quick call. The food was amazing. I don't normally eat meat but I even ate a steak at the halcyon as it was so amazing. The staff were friendly and we never had to wait for food or drinks longer than a few minutes. The pools were great. When it rained some people took extra towels so they would run out by the pool for a while but you couldn't blame the hotel for that! Even though it rained the weather was great as it only rained for short bursts until the sun came back out. We found people would reserve sunbeds around both pools and not even use them all day and this annoyed us. Apart from that I thought it was like a week of heaven.....Please don't worry about the bad reviews like I did.

Room Tip: We liked the buildings in block 800. They were private and quiet.
3 Thank sarahmoore4
Hello and thank you for your review, Sarah!
It's fantastic that you had such a wonderful time at Sandals Halcyon Beach. The staff will be so pleased to know that they were able to make your stay such a pleasant one.
We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 12 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!