“Perfect honeymoon location”

Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 4 April 2014

My wife and I just returned from our week long stay. Overall excellent experience. It is a perfect spot to sit back, relax and just enjoy the views.
The resort is located perfectly in between Sandals Grande (to the north) and Sandals La Toc (to the south), both roughly a 10-15 min shuttle ride. If you are looking for more of a beach and daytime experience, check out the Grande. If you are looking for a more sunset and nighttime experience check out La Toc. Either way both are a perfect day trip.
Halcyon is very quiet for the most part. The majority of the day, if you are looking to have fun and stay busy, you will find music and activities at the Sunset pool (main pool). The "activities staff" are a fun bunch. Activities include water exercises, water and beach volleyball, pool tournaments (table pool), shuffle board, among other things. If you are looking for peace and quiet, you will find it at the Paradise pool ("secondary" pool). And in my opinion, the more scenic of the two...even though the main pool looks out over the Caribbean Sea. Either way, both pools offer swim up or walk up bars offering anything and everything to quench your thirst.
The service is top of the line. We went the extra mile a booked a butler suite...if you have the means, or even if you don't and can find a way to splurge, I would recommend it. Our butlers were Willard and Claudia. Anything you needed, they were there. Our first day, we weren't even on the resort 5 minutes and Willard was there to greet us, tour us around the resort and escort us to our suite. They had already booked all our meal reservations for the week. The butlers...even the butler manager, Roland, on a few occasions...were only a phone call away, no matter what you needed, and even when you didn't and weren't expecting them. No matter where you go, staff is polite and always willing to serve you. Just one example, if you're a coffee drinker, just ask and you get your own personal kettle of coffee. On a few occasions, I was so caught up enjoying my breakfast, I forgot to pour my coffee. Every time a staff member saw this, they would approach the table and pour my coffee for me. Bottom line, everyone there is always willing to go above and beyond.
Food was unbelievable. Some places offered small portions, but a little secret, it's ALL INCLUSIVE, order as many dishes as you want. Again if you have the means, or don't just splurge, reserve a couples beach dinner. It's a private meal for two, served while you sit right on the sand. Our server, Cecile, was the best and made the night special.
Everything Sandals offers is worth the trip. From the views to the service to the food and drink to the multiple excursions...check out the Joe Knows tour and Tree Top Adventures zip line, you won't be disappointed.
Only negatives I can think of are the LONG car ride from the airport...check out the helicopter ride that is available but pack clothes in a carry on bag because your big suitcases take forever to get to you...and the stray cats all over the resort get a little annoying at times. The cats beg but will leave you alone if you ignore them.
The overall experience is something that I would do multiple times over again.

Room Tip: Butler suite...any of them. All look out over the Caribbean and the butler is only a phone call way...
1  Thank Matt Y

Reviewed 3 April 2014

This resort wasn't quite as big as some of the other Sandal resorts but it was nice because you got to know all the staff after a while. Of course we could still visit Sandals La Toc and Sandals Grande St Lucian which were all beautiful resorts too. I was surprised hearing a lot of other people saying they liked that Halcyon was a smaller resort. We had a wonderful time there and the food was great especially Marios.

Room Tip: Because this resort was smaller, after one day you pretty much figured out where everything was so I...
1  Thank Waligirl
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We stayed for 2 weeks in March and had a superb time.The staff were very helpful but a few went the extra mile namely Che and Wayne from Club Sandals ,Spencer and Tammy from the restaurant staff and of course Agnes at the Paradise pool.There were always plenty of sun beds and towels and the restaurants were easy to get into.My only reservation is the ability to visit the other 2 resorts as the buses are few and far between and this makes it a chore rather than an enjoyable experience.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I recently travelled to Sandals Halcyon to attend the wedding of friends. The resort is a lovely piece of property, albeit 1 1/2 hours from the airport. It is ideal for an older crowd as it's pretty much devoid of steps (unless you get a 2nd floor room). It's also quiet(majority of guests were 50+) and provides plenty of shade for those looking to stay out of the sun. It offers complimentary shuttles to/from its other 2 properties but the Halcyon is a gem of a property. We ventured over to Sandals Grande (indeed it is !!) but you'll have trouble finding empty chaises by the pool or the beach (reserved with towels) let alone shade.

The rooms are a good size and there are numerous options for dining. That being said, one eatery (Kelly's) ALWAYS had a 45 minute wait despite there being numerous empty tables and guest rooms were not always cleaned in a timely fashion. Not only did we have to call the front desk at 4 p.m but so too did our friends on a different day to ask when (or if) our rooms were going to be cleaned those days?

The service ranged from RUDE to GREAT. There seemed to be no consistency either way. The server that was assigned to our friends' wedding dinner greeted us with "I've been waiting in the lobby for you. You were supposed to meet me there." We were in the assigned gazebo waiting for dinner to begin when she strolled in !! Either we missed that memo OR the on-site wedding planner was remiss in her duties. The server did her job but it seemed to be an inconvenience for her. When asked if mint jelly could accompany the lamb, she informed us that another restaurant (on the property) carried mint jelly and she wasn't sure she could get some. Translation----she wasn't busting her butt to get some if she didn't have to. The jelly was requested by the newlyweds----was it too much to ask for a little service? The "other" restaurant was steps away from the one cooking our dinner !!

On another night, we ate at the Japanese restaurant. It was OK. Dessert was served outside on the patio but we didn't count on a waiter (Davis) staying with our group and "entertaining" us. He was obnoxious (HE thought he was funny). We had met 4 others at dinner and were enjoying chatting with them but this fellow just wouldn't leave us alone. Servers need to be reminded that we are guests and they are the hired staff.....perhaps that sounds elitist but people don't travel great distances to be met with indifference especially on an island whose main source of income is tourism.

Overall, the Halcyon is a wonderful property in need of a staff training seminar and a wedding photographer with some creativity.

Would we recommend the Halycon? Yes, as a relaxing destination but not if you're expecting 5 star service and amenities. If you do go and you want to be adventurous, there's a bus stop out front that can take you to Rodney Bay for shopping OR Gros Ilets' Friday night street party (a must). Or you can book a boat/snorkeling/lunch at "mom's" tour with "Julian's"---look for the guys on the beach wearing yellow golf shirts----great to deal with and very responsible.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the 400-800 block that has its own pool/hot tub and bar, tennis courts and croquet...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My wife and I recently returned from our honeymoon at Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. We wanted to write a letter expressing our gratitude to Sandals Halcyon and all of the employees that made our honeymoon one of the best experiences of our lives. We heard about Sandals through friends of ours that travel frequently, and they highly recommended St. Lucia as a destination. Therefore, we combined their separate experiences with Sandals and St. Lucia and booked Sandals Halcyon for 11 days.

Before we arrived at the resort, I checked online and noticed that the resort was completely booked during our stay. I was a bit concerned that the resort might be crowded and/or loud. Once we arrived, however, I noticed that it was very peaceful and not at all the crowded place I had imagined.

Throughout our stay we encountered a warm, welcoming staff in all parts of the resort, from Danny and Garie at the bars, to Martha at the Bistro, and even Chanel in the gift shop. These people consistently smiled, greeted us, and conversed with us every time we saw them, even if they weren’t working in their usual role. Maverick always greeted us in the lobby area, visited with us, and asked if we needed anything. Dwight recognized us and remembered our names after only the second time we saw him at Mario’s, and he stopped and talked to us while he was working the New Year’s event and any time we saw him thereafter.

Angelo also went above and beyond for us throughout our stay. Sarah is a vegetarian and although Mario’s has vegetarian items that are identified as such, Angelo still offered to have the chef prepare anything that she wanted. While visiting with Angelo one time prior to getting on the shuttle to eat at Toscanini’s, he even offered to call the manager of Toscanini’s to tell him we were going to the restaurant. Although we didn’t find it necessary to have him do that, it was extremely generous of him to think of doing that for us.

Neillan and Dean also treated us like close friends and family throughout our stay. Dean introduced us to his lovely wife and she was very welcoming during the New Year’s event.

Everyone we’ve mentioned made an impressionable impact on our honeymoon. They all treated us like family and made us feel part of a community away from home, so much so that it made it difficult for us to leave. Separately, everyone was doing their job and treating us like part of the family, but they couldn’t have known that collectively, it all worked to create a comprehensive experience that made for an extremely memorable honeymoon.

When people spend money to go on vacations, they expect good service from genuine people. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always happen the way we expect. Amenities, spa treatments, and good food are all nice to have at a resort, but the employees really create the experience and can make the difference between having a good vacation, and an amazing one. The employees at Sandals Halcyon created an amazing vacation for us that we will never forget. Thank you so much!

A. and S. Mire

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2014

There were so many issues from the minute we arrived that I dont even know where to begin.
My husband and I are extremely disappointed with our honeymoon to Sandals Halcyon. Upon arrival, we were taken with a group to the concierge's room. All of the other couples were taken to their rooms and we were asked to stay behind. We were then advised the hotel had been over booked and we would not be able to get into our beachfront walk out until Wednesday, which was the third day of our trip. We were then told that we would be downgraded to a different room. When I expressed that I did not feel this was adequate and we wanted to be in the room we paid for, he advised this was not possible. We were handed a piece of paper that would need to be singed and told us they would refund the room difference and we would be downgraded or he could refund the entire 7 nights. When he said that he could refund the 7 nights or we could take the downgrade, it came off as either you take the downgrade or you can leave. This was very upsetting as this was the first day of our honeymoon and at the time we had no way to communicate with anyone else. I asked why we were downgraded and he stated that we weren't the only ones this happened to.
We were then escorted to our downgraded room. The room was on the second floor directly facing one of the restaurant/bar. Upon entering the room, we noticed the bathroom was filthy and they did not provide the champagne and flowers as they were supposed to at check in. The room in general was not something you would expect at any "resort." The entire first day of our trip was ruined. We tried to enjoy the second day of the trip but we were both still bothered by what happened a day earlier and the condition of the room. We had to go back and forth to the front desk several times for paperwork and unanswered questions.
We received a call Wednesday morning stating we would be moved by 1pm to our new room. When called the front desk at about 11am to confirm, as we had received so much wrong information, we were then advised we would be moved at 130pm. We decided to go down to the desk yet again to find out what time we would be actually moving. The person at the front desk then advised we would not be moved until 3pm. We were supposed to go to The Grande that day and were not able to because we stayed in our room waiting for someone to move us and give us the needed information. We did received a call from advising that for our troubles they could do a dinner on the beach. We only received this call after our travel agent called the resort. This was not sufficient to us for the wasted time and aggravation we had gone through on the first 3 days of our honeymoon. I advised we would not accept the dinner on the beach. This resort is all inclusive and we already paid for the food. He then returned my call later in the evening advising they would be able to offer 2 nights at a Sandals of our choice. He advised they would send documents over that would need to be signed. When we went to the desk to find out what time we would be moved, we again requested the champagne and menu for the breakfast in our room. When we got to the new room, neither was provided. My husband then called a 3rd time and requested then same thing. An employee arrived with the breakfast menu and a contract that would need to be signed in order for us to received two free nights at Sandals. Still no champagne. I reviewed the contract and decided it was not something I was willing to sign. About 10 minutes before check out, I received another call advising that we had a $314 balance that would need to be paid before we left. He advised that the offer of the two free nights at Sandals superseded any other offers and we would now have to pay back the $314 which we were initially credited due to the price difference in our room downgrade. I told him that I did not sign the contract and we would not be accepting the two free nights. I already signed the document for the reimbursement of the room difference and we had used this money for a tour which we booked through the hotel. He then expressed understanding that we would not be accepting the two nights and he would then again credit our account $314. We arrived at the front desk not even 5 minutes after this conversation and the person working at the front desk told us we had a balance of $314 that would need to be paid because we accepted the two free nights. I again went over with her that we did not accept the offer. She then went and got a manager. We had the same conversation for the third time. I explained AGAIN that I did not want the two nights and we would not pay for the $314 they already credited to us. He finally credited the account back and took the contract from me.
Along with the above issues, we arrived at the hotel in the same van with two other couples. One of the couples booked their trip in December and was given the same style room we were supposed to originally been in. We booked this trip multiple months in advance. We were also told we could not make reservations for the French restaurant at La Toc or the Italian restaurant at The Grande on Friday or Saturday because they were booked. We later found out from two separate people that were in concierges room with us and much further back in line, that they were given Friday and Saturday reservations.

The resort pretty much all but shuts down at 10pm. Most of the people at the restort of 60+.
The drinks were also very watered down.

The only high points of this trip were the service staff and the food. The night time bar staff was amazing along with most of the waiters and waitresses. The food at Mario's was good as well as Dockside. The sushi bar was also good.

12  Thank Lauren D
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Hello Lauren,

We were truly saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your honeymoon stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach. What you described is indeed not in keeping with our high standards and I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. I would be happy to looking into this matter on your behalf and I have sent you a private message for a few additional details. We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention and I will be sending your remarks to the management team for immediate evaluation and action as needed. I look forward to hearing from you soon and thank you for your patience.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

I will soon be married 40 years and have been blessed with a Caribbean vacation at least twice a year during our marriage. I share this information with you to know let you know that I am a well seasoned traveler. Last year, we went to Sandals Whitehouse in Jamaica. The vacation was superb! The place was beautiful. We had an awesome time! However, we had the best time of our lives in Sandals Halcyon in St. Lucia. The staff was so helpful and friendly, the food delicious, accommodations were wonderful, and the entertainment staff couldn't have been more inviting and exciting. I would especially like to thank one of the entertainment staff, Neilen
(Slim) Albert. He made us and everyone he came in touch with feel so very special.

2  Thank Jennifer G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
#4 of 12 in Castries
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!