This was our first trip to a Sandals resort, and we loved it!
The transfer from the airport is about 80 minutes and perfectly pleasant - not the nightmare trip other reviews had led me to expect. Halcyon Beach is a lot smaller than the other two resorts on St Lucia, but we liked it for that reason. The accommodation was quiet, spacious and attractive to look at, the grounds were quiet, beautifully maintained and full of wildlife and flowers. The beach was clean and the sea was blue. What isn't there to like?!
Our room was always lovely and cool from the air conditioning, with the mini bar stocked every day with soft drinks (included in the price), although you didn't have to walk very far to find something else to drink if you wished.
There was a social pool and a quieter pool, we liked the latter and found that there were always sun beds available whatever time we turned up. We also enjoyed the garden games and water sports included on site. There isn't much to do in the evenings, other than to drink (and the cocktails were lovely, most all inclusive cocktails make me cry, these did not) - the performance stage was being renovated during our stage, and the steel band and fire dancers we saw once it was open were excellent!
As far as food goes it was all very tasty, and even as a veggie I wasn't usually stuck for choice. Mario's, the Italian was excellent as was Kelly's Dockside. The only slight disappointment was Kimono's - tonnes of food, great service and showmanship but the food wasn't as nice as elsewhere. If you like sushi go to 'Soy' on the resort - excellent sushi!
You are able to go to both La Toc and the Grande St Lucian as part of your stay with Sandals, and although they are both bigger and slicker they are nowhere near as charming as Halcyon Beach. There is some criticism of it being dated, but I think there's some charm in a clean, well loved appearance. Both La Toc and Grande St Lucian have a more party atmosphere, and so it is whatever suits you best in this respect.
The staff are all very friendly and welcoming at Halcyon Beach and it's a very nice atmosphere.
We would definitely stay here again, but need to see some more world before we become Sandals regulars!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Travelbag, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U., Holiday Gems, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries