“Fantastic”

Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Edmonton, Canada
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Sandals Halcyon in July 2014. Prior to this, we had never been to the Caribbean, St. Lucia, an all-inclusive resort, or a Sandals before. It was fantastic and I hope to return one day (probably not soon, but only because I would like to visit different islands first).

My wife is celiac so I had emailed ahead of time to make sure they could accommodate her diet. There appears to have been some sort of mixup, since we were supposed to meet with the chef when we first arrived, but the bellhop took us to our room before we had done that (in fact, he took us to our room before we even had our room key). Despite the minor confusion, the restaurant staff were easily able to accommodate her needs (bringing gluten-free bread, gluten-free desserts that weren't on the menu, and advising which items were glutten-free). A chef did manage to track us down one evening as we were finishing our meal to chat with my wife about her needs.

Since my wife was very pregnant during the trip, we choose to mostly take it easy, relaxing by the quiet pool or on the beach. Although bar staff only occasionally walk around the pool/beach to take drink orders, it is a simple 60 second walk/swim to the bar from anywhere to get a drink. I think that even if I had wanted to have a more active vacation, I could have done so at the Halcyon... I saw many couples playing beach volleyball, playing pool volleyball, kayaking, wind surfing, and doing all sorts of things. Although I didn't get a chance to take them up on it, my orientation guide mentioned that if I needed someone to play tennis against I could ask one of the playmakers to play against me (another thing mentioned during orientation that we actually did was ask a gardner to cut us down a fresh mango from one of the trees on the resort... kind of neat).

I found the food excellent. We ate breakfast at Bayside every morning (nice breakfast buffet that doesn't change much day-to-day, with some made to order options like omelettes, eggs, and crepes). We ate lunch at either the Beach Grill (burgers, hotdogs, fries, nachos) or Bayside (nice lunch buffet that doesn't change much day-to-day, with some made to order options like pasta). For dinner we went to Mario's twice, the Dockside twice, the Bayside once (on BBQ night), Kimono's once, and La Toc (French restaurant at the La Toc Sandals resort) once. We did not have a chance to visit Soy. Kimono's is the only restaurant at Halycon that requires a reservation (La Toc at La Toc also requires a reservation). My wife poked a little fun at Kimono's since it wasn't authentically Japanese, but the chef was very entertaining and the food was excellent (it's a bit of a different experience since we were dining with 3 other random couples and the menu was pre-selected).

We only left the resort twice. Once for a Catamaran ride to see the Pitons (good to see the Pitons, but got stung by jellyfish while snorkelling) and once to visit La Toc for dinner (the La Toc resort looks much more impressive, but lacks the quiet charm of the Halcyon).

I had deliberately read negative reviews before traveling in order to set my expectations low and not be disappointed, but I found most (all?) or the negative reviews unwarranted. I'll try to address some of those things here:

Although we travelled in July, we saw very little rain. It was raining heavily when we arrived at the airport, but it had let up by the time we reached the resort. We saw rain another 3 days we were there, but it was very light and over quickly (less than five minutes at a time, dried up 10 minutes later). We could actually see the dark cloud moving in and estimate when it would start and end. There was a lot of cloud cover though... great for enjoying the heat without getting a burn so I didn't mind it, but not exactly what I was picturing before going.

I found the bugs at the resort significantly better than the bugs at home. I don't know if that varies by season. My wife received a couple of mosquito bites, but considering we were spending 14 hours a day outside for 8 days that seems pretty insignificant.

The staff were fantastic. One waitress at the La Toc restaurant (at the La Toc resort) seemed a little unfriendly, but I cannot think of a single complaint I had in dealing with the staff at the Halcyon. My wife really enjoyed chatting with many of them (and they were always friendly and prompt with me, although I'm less chatty). Based on my experience at the Halcyon, the reputation the Caribbean has for slow service is undeserved.

The vendors on the beach were not annoying at all. My wife enjoyed chatting with them (and purchased a bit of jewelry). They were friendly with me, but left me alone when they realized I was more interested in my book than talking to them or buying anything. (My wife did say she encountered a couple of pushy vendors at the vendors arcade on the resort... but she choose to go there.)

The room was not particularly impressive, but it was clean, the bed was comfortable, and there were plenty of drinks (pop, water, juice) in the mini-fridge. When it gets dark, there is a lot of noise (birds) but I got used to it fast.

6 Thank F_G_Henderson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (979)
  • Slovak first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Nice resort with a decent beach. It was absolutely worth the extra cost to have an ocean front room. Our room was nothing fancy but it was clean and cozy. We were not impressed with the cuisine; mostly boring and bland. We did enjoy the hibachi grill, however. Cocktails were watered down a bit. We were not impressed with the staff- we only had a few that were exceptional, most were less than eager to help. It was not horrible but we probably won't be back anytime soon.

Stayed April 2014
5 Thank Marie K
Lauren B, Online Review Coordinator at Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Hello Marie,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that we did not quite meet your expectation during your stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach. I will send your feedback in concerns to food and beverage to the appropriate personnel for immediate evaluation and action as needed. Your input is very important to us and we will do our very best to ensure that the proper improvements are made in your absence. We hope that once the necessary adjustments are implemented, you will return for a truly 5-star experience in the near future.
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

Overall this was a great vacation! We did a lot of research through Trip Advisor and ended up choosing Sandals Halcyon as we've stayed at a Sandals in Jamaica before, and it was a great choice!

We booked through Sandals months before our trip, and before the vacation even started, about 2 weeks before we left, got our flight information and on the entire trip, were seated together on 2 flights, and the rest were either unassigned or we were on different parts of the plane. We tried calling to tell Sandals this was unacceptable. We could've booked through an external site like Expedia and chosen our seats while booking, and now on a "couples" vacation, they can't even sit us together? Even with complaining and speaking with supervisors, they could do nothing for us.. Thankfully we had very nice airport employees who were able to sit us together. Next time, we won't book through Sandals again as that was not a great way to begin the vacation.

As read in previous reviews, we made sure upon arrival at the airport to hold on to our luggage instead of letting an airport employee take it,as the Sandals lounge was right through the double doors down the hallway and had they taken it, would've expected a tip to take your luggage 10 feet. We didn't stay in the lounge but 5 min before we were loaded on shuttles. I read a lot of reviews about how terrible the drive was from the airport to the resort but it wasn't bad at all. It took maybe an hour and a half to get there and our driver didn't drive crazy and we were able to enjoy looking the scenery.

Despite the pictures online, the resort is actually small and intimate as you can walk from one side to the other in about 5 minutes. We were told it was at capacity but we never felt that at all. We had no issues getting a covered pool or beach chair any day we we were there.. And we usually didn't get out there until 10-11 every day. The same can't be said for the other resort- Sandals Grande. We went over there 2 days as the beach was nicer and pools bigger but were glad to come back to Halcyon at night. People left towels on beach/pool chairs and we never saw them all day. We still never had a problem finding a chair but it was either behind the main pool or at the end of the beach. If you want the party scene then you'll like the Grande better- they play loud music at the pool and have more activities going on. We heard loud yelling one day and turned to see people playing beer pong..We love to have fun but that's not the scene we were looking for on a relaxing vacation. (my husband and I are in our early 30s) It was fun to go for the day but enjoyed going back to our resort and sitting and relaxing at the bar after dinner.

We stayed in a Grande Luxe garden walkout room. It wasn't anything fantastic..bathrooms are a little outdated but weren't bad. We didn't see the point in spending a lot on a room with a butler/private pool as we did that in the past and didn't feel it was worth it. We were only in the room to nap and sleep so weren't too concerned with having the nicest room on the resort. There are cats on the resort but they don't bother you unless you want to socialize with them. There was a mom and her 3 kittens who were adorable and we made friends with a few..but again, they don't bother you unless you initiate it.

Overall the food was fairly good. It's not 5 stars but it's not bad either. We ate at Kelly's Dockside 2 nights and that was our favorite at the resort and also didn't require reservations. The mahi mahi was very good. We ate at Kimonos one night, which does require reservations, and it was just ok. It's not the hibachi you normally get in the states and if we did it all over, would've skipped that restaurant and gone somewhere else. The cook was awesome and entertaining, but that was about it. Soy, the sushi place, is in the same restaurant but you didn't need reservations there so we'd go when they opened at 6 and get an appetizer and then have a late dinner somewhere else. The Italian restaurant was good too and we also tried the one at the Grande which was good as well. As far as drinks, always request top shelf when you order because if not, they will always use well liquor. We wanted to do the local street party in Gros Islet on Friday night but ended up doing the one at La Toc which was ok. If we go back, we'll try the local party but it's at least worth checking out.

The staff are very friendly and really do try to go above and beyond to make you happy. We met Roger at the bar who was interning and he was great! Always had a smile on his face and made it a special point to say hi whenever he saw us! I felt bad we couldn't tip because the employees there work so hard but we're told they'll get fired on the spot if they're seen accepting a tip.

For excursions we did the zip-lining and Joe Knows. Zip lining was fun as there's 12 lines and if you bring your camera, one of the workers will take your camera and get pictures of you. We tipped him for that. If you do anything, you should definitely do Joe Knows tour. We booked through Sandals and although it was pricey, around $250 for 2 ppl, it was well worth it. We had Big Al and Snoop for our guides and they were awesome. You go snorkeling, to a Volcano for a mud
bath, a waterfall to rinse off, and a yummy local lunch, and rum punch on the boat, but be careful because too much punch makes for an interesting evening! That was one of the best days we had there and we also tipped them as well. I wanted to do the shopping excursion at the local market, but didn't see the point in spending $35pp for a 3 hr trip through Sandals. They had local vendors at the resort one day so I bought some stuff there, but the vendors aren't willing to bargain with you very much! We still paid about $15 for a shirt but that's about standard. Some people we met took the local bus to the market for about $1.50 each way which you can pick up outside of the hotel, or we were told a taxi was $15 each way. We did snorkeling through the resort which was fun,but be prepared to get stung by jellyfish. We read reviews and had purchased a product called Safe Sea suntan lotion on Amazon and I felt a slight sting in the water, but since I had used the lotion didn't have a mark or sting on me, and others had gotten stung and had to pour vinegar on it. We also used the sailboats which were a lot of fun too. Make sure to bring suntan lotion, aloe and bug spray because from what I heard, it was almost $20 to purchase there.

The least favorite part of our trip was the massage. It was a big waste of money and I would definitely not recommend it. I'm a member at Massage Envy and get them on a monthly basis for a lot less than what I paid there and can customize them. There was no one at the spa desk so the lady at the front desk told us to go to the sales office and the lady asked what day and time to book and then sent us on our way, feeling rushed out and given no information about the massage except where to meet. We wanted to have a nice relaxing massage but the location of the massage hut is terrible. It's right by a walkway and you can hear people as they walk by and there's workers mowing and weed whacking so instead of a tranquil breeze and quiet atmosphere, it was loud and hot. Plus, I like my pressure firm, and the therapist saw I had marked firm on my form and told me I chose the wrong massage because this is light to medium pressure. So as she's very lightly rubbing my back during the massage she tells me that I need a deep tissue.. You think? I left the massage feeling very frustrated and unrelaxed. By the time we gave a tip, it ended up being almost a $300 massage for 50 min. HUGE waste of money! They should've informed us you can only have light pressure for the couples massage. For $240, you should be able to customize it. Would've rather used that money on another excursion. The location of the massage hut at the Grande looked nicer until we saw tour boats coming back with music blaring and people drunk and yelling..so not much better than we had. I'd look into La Toc as I think they have an actual indoor spa.

Overall, besides the massage, it was a wonderful vacation and are glad we chose Halcyon. The option to use all 3 resorts was nice, and St. Lucia is beautiful. If you're looking for a quiet, relaxing resort, go with the Halcyon. We've already booked to go back!

11 Thank Rachel S
Thank you for your feedback, Rachel.
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Sandals Halcyon Beach and had a fabulous time relaxing in beautiful St. Lucia with us. We do apologize if anything did not meet your expectations and I will share your feedback about the massage and flight seating options with the relevant departments for further review. We look forward to welcoming you back for an even better vacation experience in the future!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

It's probably not a surprise that this was our honeymoon! The room was good, big bed, clean sheets and plenty of clean towels! The bathroom had chipped tiles and the bath was stained, as was the mat in the bedroom (not exactly what I was expecting)!
The food was good, but service didn't excel and there seemed to be delays!
PLEASE sort out making tea for British people, I don't want a cup of water and a tea bag you immediately try and pour the milk in! I want a tea pot and a pot of milk and to be left alone!! You can do it for breakfast, so why screw up at dinner??
I found 'the two people in love' a bit nauseating and preferred to avoid group activities!
Other than that it was a wonderful honeymoon, we both enjoyed!

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Jennifer D
Hello Jennifer,

Thank you for your review of Sandals Halcyon Beach. It's wonderful that you enjoyed your honeymoon trip to St. Lucia and enjoyed exploring a bit of St. Lucia together. Still, there seem to be a few aspects of our service that are in need of some improvement. Your suggestions will be shared with the resort management team for further review and we appreciate the time and effort taken to provide them. Once again, thank you for your comments. We hope to welcome you back in the future for a much better stay that will definitely exceed your expectations.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Staff is amazing. Friendly faces everywhere! Was worth every penny! We upgraded to the CLUB level! WORTH IT! Lots of things to do on the resort. Rooms were beautiful and clean. The view was like Paradise. I can't say enough!! Drivingmebatty says it all very nicely. My only disappointment was the water wasn't as blue as the pictures, but it was very clear and still pretty. I had such a wonderful, carefree and relaxing week.

Room Tip: we paid extra to have a room on the beach. WORTH IT. Love hearing the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank tym4him
Denham Springs, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

Sandals Resorts are the best way we have found to see it all, have a variety of places to eat, multiple excursions, relaxing pools and beautiful views just to name a few. The staff at the resorts are very accommodating and polite. We highly recommending this place!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Zeke N C
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I decided to go to the Caribbean on our 25th Anniversary. After ALOT of research, we chose Sandals Halycon. We never did an all inclusive vacation so we decided to give it a whirl. From the moment we landed, Sandals took care of us.
The Halycon is smaller and more quaint. Definitely a chance to revive the romance spark. The staff went out of their way to make you feel very comfortable and you will be greeted by everyone....even the gentlemen doing the landscaping. You become familiar with the staff because you will see them so often doing many different tasks.
The food at Bayside was very good. It was buffet style so you had a multiple choices for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Everything was delicious and never had a bad meal. The restaurants we tried were Mario's, La Toc (Sandals La Toc), and Kimino's. They were all excellent and we were willing to try things we've never would of eaten at home.
They had many different water activities, but we only chose to kayak to Rat Island which is located just off shore. It was worth the paddling, but a lot of hard work. Every evening they had entertainment whether it was someone singing or dancing. The bar was the hot spot after hours, and quite enjoyable. The bartenders are great and I'm sure they don't get paid enough for what they do. Two drinks I recommend is the BBC and Bob Marley. The Dirty Banana was delicious too. We only had one issue with our clock time, and it was resolved instantly by the staff. Leaving the resort was done smoothly and had no issues.
If you want a more quaint, romantic Sandals experience on St. Lucia then I would recommend this resort. It's smaller and all on one level so there's no climbing up mountain sides or a hundred stairs just to get to the second floor. The Grande was a resort that was more for the younger/active crowd and to us looked way to busy. La Toc was beautiful, but there was a lot of people as well.

Things I want to point out:

1. If you get very car sick then beware. The trip from the airport to the resort is very, very, very curvy/windy. Coming into the resort, we had a very fast driver and I was feeling nauseated by the time we got there and I never get car sick (which tells you something). You may need to take Dramamine before you get on the shuttle and skip the drinks they offer when you step into the waiting area at the airport. Going back we had a slower driver and more traffic so it helped and I was fine.

2. Cats. Yes, there are cats on the property, but we never had an issue with them. You will see them hanging around the Bayside restaurant and every now and then wonder through quickly. The staff shoos them away immediately so don't be surprised. These are not "petting" cats. They are feral, but do know where food could come from.

3. Waiting for dinner. Do not go into the restaurants with the expectation that you will get quick, hovering service like you can in the US. Give yourself plenty of time for meals because they are done at a slower pace. They give time for food to digest before diving into the next course. So there's no point getting impatient...you're there to enjoy the experience.

4. Bugs. I guess me and my husband were fortunate and only got bit by a few mosquitos but not a lot. Even eating outside we never saw any bugs flying around us. But, I would still recommend taking bug spray.

5. Vendors on the beach. When we were there, there were a couple but they hung out on the beach right next to the main pool area. Yea, they would ask if you wanted something, but a simple "No Thank you" was usually enough. After a few times on different occasions, they didn't ask us again. If you really want to avoid them, then stay away from the beach area right next to the main pool. Other than that, they were not pushy (to us at least).

6. I guess the one thing I wish Sandals did was do some sort of tour that didn't involve us getting in the mud baths, hiking or anything like that. Maybe more of a "picture" tour for people who just want to see the island, take a lot of pictures and that's all. We priced a taxi that would take us to the pitons and Marigot Bay and it would of cost us $200. They do offer tours through Island Routes and it does help the economy, but those tours are more if you want the "adventure". My husband thought they looked interesting, but I'm not that kind of person. I rather show up somewhere and takes pictures and call it a day.

7. Make sure you know what kind of outfit is needed for the restaurants. Men, bring a pair of slacks. If you're not sure what to wear then make sure to read the flier they have available everyday (either given to your room or on the check out desk). It tells you specifically what to wear. If you show up at Mario's in shorts...they will make you put on slacks. We've seen it happen numerous times. Actually, to be on the safe side....wear slacks at all meals with the exception of The Bayside.

8. The Sunset pool (? I think that was the name) near the Honeymoon village is more quiet. You have a poolside bar/snacks and the bartenders were great and fun. The main pool is a little more busier with the restaurant and constant flow of people walking around. It's a matter of choice if you want a livelier pool or a more intimate pool and quieter.

9. The sun will burn you. Shocking, huh!? Yes, if you stay at the beach/pool all day, you will get sun burned. Amazing that people you would think had some sort of intelligence seem to forget that. We can not count the many people walking around the resort like Frankenstein because they can't move and act shocked that the sun actually burned them. Enjoy the sun, but in smaller quantities....the shade is quite nice with a BBC. Also, sunscreen is your skin's friend.

10. Last thing is shuttle service. It does not run in circles around the clock. There is a shuttle schedule, be sure to grab one. It goes to each resort in one direction at a time (or close to every hour). Make sure you plan what time to leave and get back. Don't worry if the first shuttle that comes through is crowded because there's more than one shuttle.

Room Tip: Beachfront rooms near the water sports area tended to be more quiet. We didn't have the noise o...
12 Thank Drivingmebatty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort? Share your experiences!