Before this trip, I never really got the Sandals hype, but after spending the last 7 days of our honeymoon there (after 5 at Ladera), we are hooked! The staff was incredibly friendly (I would especially like to single out Robert from the Beach Bistro and Agnes from the quiet pool - both were great!). We had a great time and it was nice to just relax by the pool and have as many cocktails or order whatever you wanted at dinner without having to worry about money or tipping. The service was terrific all-around, so their strategy clearly works.
Let's start out with the positives. The food was tremendous (Kelly's and Kimono's in particular) and every night, you felt like this was legitimate fine dining. The swim up bars were great. It was never hard to get a drink and the drinks were definitely not weak. Try all the cocktails, we liked the Purple Rain and BBC the best! The staff does a great job to get you a drink whenever you want one. The room were great and we liked the feel of the resort. In fact, we thought Halcyon had the best rooms out of all 3 resorts (every room at Halcyon had their own patio/balcony while La Toc/Grande had your normal hotel hallways, this just felt more like a tropical resort paradise to us). It was nice to only have to go 15 min each way to the other resorts. We went to La Toc and Toscaninni's and really enjoyed those restaurants. The other two resorts are more "party" resorts with what seemed like all young people while Halcyon was 2/3 young people and was more laid back and quiet, which is what we preferred. But I'm sure that some people prefer the party atmosphere as well. We felt like La Toc had the best pool and beach while the Grande had the best restaurants and layout of the resort.
We tried all the water sports, they offer kayaks, Hobie catamarans and paddleboards among other options. We didn't try snorkeling or scuba diving. Very easy to sign things out and use. We didn't book any excursions through Sandals, but would recommend doing one of the excursions to see the Pitons (where we stayed before Sandals) - absolutely amazing! We did go shopping for souvenirs. It is a 10 minute cab ride ($16 each way - a bit of a rip off, but the only option) and you can walk through the marketplace and buy whatever you can't at the gift shop.
While food was great, we felt that Halcyon was a little lacking in that area. Only 2 options for lunch (Bayside's buffet and Beach Bistro), it would have been nice to have another option. The other 2 resorts have a pizza place and Halcyon could use something like that as well. Kimono's and Kelly's are great and must do's, but we didn't like that Kelly's falsely advertises a Filet Mignon on their menu everywhere. We asked our server why it wasn't on there and she said they have never had it. I would be livid if I came over from the other 2 resorts expecting that only to find out it isn't on the menu. We did go to Mario's one night, but it pales in comparison to any Little Italy from any major U.S. city. Toscaninni's at the Grande is much better. Again, it would be nice if Halcyon had more dinner options, but you can go over to the other 2 if needed which is nice.
Another downside for some people would probably be the lack of activities and nightlife around the resort. Every day, Sandals provides a free paper and you can just see the amount of pool games and things to do at the other 2 are much more than what is offered at Halcyon. However, once again, this is known as the quiet resort and we preferred it that way.
One thing of note is that the hotel is 1 hour and 20 minutes away from the airport and the roads are very windy. If you get motion sickness, I would make sure to take something for that beforehand.
Overall, we would definitely recommend Halcyon. Out of the 3 Sandals in St. Lucia, it is the cheapest, has the best rooms and is the most relaxing. If you are looking to party, I would go to one of the other two, but this suited us well and we can't wait to try one of the other Sandals locations!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Friendly to the physically challenged with low rise architecture •Fully air-conditioned Caribbean cuisine restaurant on its own 150 ft pier over the •Caribbean Sea •Houses 169 Rooms with true personal service and intimate experience •English-style afternoon tea served at the Paradise pool •Tableside service at the Beach Bistro •“Stay at one, play at three” free shuttles to Sandals La Toc Golf Resort & Spa and Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort•Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All Inclusive Company” 16 years in a row •Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand”, 18 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Destinology, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Travelbag, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia Hotel Castries
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Castries
- Sandals St Lucia
- Sandals Halcyon Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries