“Had a great trip, until the last night - INTRUDER!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
New York, NY
“Had a great trip, until the last night - INTRUDER!”
Reviewed 9 October 2007

My husband, kids (almost 2 and almost 3) and babyistter stayed at Windjammer Landing in September 2007, very much the off-season. I would have given this an "excellent" review - were it not for the last night. I'll speak to that at the end.

We were in one of the "estate" villas (those villas in the 400 and 500) at the top of the hill. It is one of the fully enclosed units, nicely furnished and laid out. It was, in fact, one of the nicest timeshare units we have received in an exchange. The plunge pool was great for kids this age - although we did have to stay diligent to ensure they didn't go splash on their own.

Check-in took about 30 minutes - and we were the only ones checking in! Pleasant enough, and I believe the main delay was determining whether the unit was ready or not (it wasn't). We went and got lunch and it was ready by the time we returned. However, I can imagine that check-in could get backed up during the busier times.

We found the food to be generally good to excellent. We enjoyed Papa Don's and Jammer's the most. The only time we went to Dragonfly other than for the breakfast buffett we found it to be average.

We did the all-inclusive for the first three days, then switched to ala carte. This allowed us to do a comparison. We are "average" drinkers (a couple of rum punches during the day at the beach, and drinks with dinner, no late nights at the bar), and found the costs to be the same. The real complaint about the all-inclusive was the house wine - it is terrible! So we ended up purchasing nicer bottles for dinners. So if you are a big drinker (and don't want decent wine) - go the all-inclusive route. Other wise ala carte should be OK.

Only twice did I wait what I considered to be too long for the shuttle. In both cases I ended up walking down the hill. And, to be fair, in both cases it was at 8 in the morning when everyone was trying to go down for breakfast, and my husband and kids had gone down 10 minutes earlier (he just couldn't wait) and it was probably annoying to them that we had two pickups so close together! Again, I can guess that the shuttle may be more backed up in busier times.

Some information about what they do and don't have at the store. They do have diapers in a variety of sizes, and have swim diapers, but they do not stock pull-ups. Although my kids do not eat the jarred baby food, I did notice a pretty decent selection. They have pasta and chicken nuggets and those sorts of kid-foods in stock. The rooms come with bug spray for the units, and the store has the stuff to spray on your body. It also has sunscreen, but it seemed all Hawaiin Tropic and did not carry any of the fast drying spray type that I like.

Until the last night, my only complaint would have been about the poor locks on the french doors going out to the juliet balcony's. The only locks are the push button kind and I was concerned that my kids could get OUT too easily. I brought some child proofing stuff with us and was able to secure the door so that they could not open it.

However, give the events of our last night there, I am now also concerned that the locks may also make it too easy to get in.

Our final night there, my husband and I went out and while the sitter was putting the kids to sleep, someone - apparently using a key to get into the main entry door - came into the unit. This person seemed to be only looking for something to take - they were heading straight for the master bedroom when the sitter saw him and screamed. He ran into the master bedroom, went out onto our balcony, and jumped! She called security, and I must say they responded immediately and effectively. They checked all entrances (determining they must have had a key), had the key remade, and two guys stood outside our unit all night.

We believe an employee played a role in this. Unfortunately, we checked out the following morning and did not have a chance to speak with management about this incident further. Repeated phone calls and messages have gone unreturned.

In any area where you have a poor population and foreign travelers, we all need to remember that these kinds of things can happen. However, I feel management at Windjammer Landing needs to put more secure locks on the entry points and respond when an incident points to employee involvement.

• Liked — private villa with pool
  • Disliked — the intruder
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
24 Thank dandlsmom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 7 October 2007

We just got back from Windjammer Landing and had a great time.

Rooms: All are ocean view which is a plus. We got the cheapest room so it was slightly small and the decor could have been better but it was worth the price we paid. We got some exercise climbing the hill to our room rather than taking the free shuttle up.

Beach: Calm waters. Water is a green color. There are lots of free water activities which we took advantage of including: Hobie Cats, Tubing (pulled by a boat), Water Kyacking and an inflatable iceberg my husband climbed on a daily basis in the water. Skiing is also available for a charge unless you are all inclusive or a time share owner.

Pool: The pool was average. Could have been a little nicer but good enough.

Activities: Lots of activities to choose from. We did the Endless Summer day sail and had fun touring the island. I would recommend this. Deep Sea fishing was horrible. We came back an hour earlier than stated in the tour guide and didn't get one bite. It was a waste of money.

Entertainment: They have live bands including reggae and a steel drum band. It was great. Also, fire dancers which were awesome.

Taxis - You'll spend way to much money on taxis so it is good to meet up with other couples to share the expense.

Service - The service was great. Some of the staff really took the initiative to find out how we were enjoying our stay.

Food: We mainly ate at the Jammers Bar where there are nightly happy hours (1/2 off drink specials was a bonus). The food there was good. The pizza at Papa Don's was also tasty. Definitely go off the resort and try Coal Pot. It was by far our favorite. Buzz Restaurant was ok. We heard the restaurant at Coco Palms was good but we didn't make it there.

Other: This hotel had two main beach shops, wireless internet, internet cafe, a mini mart, a kids club (not too many kids were present though), at least 4 places to eat, tennis courts, and a fairly nice fitness room.

St. Lucia is a good getaway for those looking for activities and a fun time. September was also great because it wasn't that busy so it was just the right amount of people. Overall, I would recommend Windjammer Landing.

• Liked — Activities
  • Disliked — Quality of Room
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MMATL
North Georgia
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We went to Windjammer for our honeymoon, and we really liked it. However, be realistic about your expectations. Like one other person said, this is the Caribbean...not Miami. You are going to have some mosquitos, and some things aren't going to be perfect and "flashy".

The Windjammer is basically a bunch of villas, however they appear to building some units that look more like hotel rooms. There was some noise from the construction...but not too bad. Some rooms do have some construction noise, but ours didn't.

One neat thing about Windjammer is that they don't require you to do the all inclusive plan. For us, we saved about $80/day $US by not doing the all inclusive. However, we don't drink...and we didn't use the sailboats. Also, by not doing the all inclusive, we were able to go into Rodney Bay and Castries to eat at the local restaurants. My favorite's were The Coal Pot, The Charthouse, and Ku De Ta. Spinnakers was also great for a lunchtime place on the beach.

The Resort: The Windjammer itself is pretty nice and clean. The beach is always neat. The staff, especially Blaine and Dawn, were always helpful with suggestions and booking tours. To get from your villa to the beach, you must call for a shuttle. Usually they came within just a few minutes and it was always a scenic drive.

The Resort Restaurants: One thing to note is that all restaurant prices are in EC$ not US$. $1 US is $2.67 EC. So don't have a heart attack when you see the prices. Drangonfly is the only place available for breakfast. The food is great, but don't leave your plate unguarded for a second...or a bird will carry it off. Take it for the funny spectacle all the birds are and enjoy it. We never ordered the buffet...it was always just cheaper to order off the menu.. and we were always stuffed. Try the coco tea. Jammers is great for lunch or light supper before going out. Their virgin daiquiri's and pina colada's are incredible. Papa Don's was also great for supper. I did hear some people say they didn't like the pizza. Embers was okay for lunch.

Our Villa: We were in Villa #1, which is the one in the very bottom right of the resort. The main floor had a full kitchen, dining room, living room, drop pool(which is private), and a 25'x35' deck (yes that's feet). No other villa we saw had a wooden deck attached to it. The bottom floor had 2 twin beds, bathroom, and outside covered patio. The upper floor had the master bedroom, bathroom, and an uncovered patio. There is also a 5' x 10' patio on the roof. Only the bedroom on the bottom floor and the master bed and bath are air conditioned. Everything else is open air. Even if you are careful...mosquitos are going to get in the air conditioned parts. The hotel provides a electric mosquito incense repeller (like an Off mosquito lamp, but electric)...Use it after dark along with some bug spray. I'm not talking about a swarm of mosquitos...but they are there a few. It's the Caribbean!! The only other complaint I had about the villa is that main door to the deck and pool is a sliding door with just vertical dowels...it is supposed to lock, but it doesn't really. So technically someone could just get onto the deck and walk straight into the villa. Not good. If you were going to stay in this villa, I would bring one or two of those bicycle cable locks to secure it. The rooms do have a safe, and no matter what villa you're in...I would use them. We never heard any complaints...but it is always better to be safe. Also, never leave any type of food out, even if it is in a bag or just a sugar packet. Keep it in the refrigerator. Otherwise, ants or birds will carry it off. Again, it's the Caribbean. We never saw a single ant, until we left something out.

To do: When you get there, do the orientation as soon as you can. They will tell you about the tours available and Blaine can help you book them. There are a lot of neat things to do, so you may want to make a little calendar of your stay..so you can keep everything straight. Do the JAMMER'S DAY SAIL as soon as you can in the week. You will make plenty of friends on the trip you will talk to the rest of the week. On this tour, you cruise on a sailboat to Soufre'. Then transfer to a bus for the trip to the "drive in volcano", a waterfall, and lunch at the Fon Deux Plantation. Then you cruise back to snorkle in one of the bays. It was a great way to see the tourist spots. If you sit thru the resort's timeshare presentation they cut $60US off the price per person of the Jammer's Day Sail. It was raining the first day there, so we went ahead and did it. Just tell them your family has a timeshare with RCI at Vistana Resort in Orlando....so they will not try to sell you as hard. Beware that they are persuasive! The CANOPY ZIP LINE tour is a must do! Everyone loved it. Another thing for couple's to do is the LOVER'S PARADISE PACKAGE. It includes an In villa massage for 2, an in villa meal for 2 cooked in your room with cook and a butler, a sunset cruise, and fruit with champagne upon arrival. We did the HORSEBACK RIDE on the beach. I don't really recommend this. Most of the ride is down a rough road you wouldn't drive down with the windows up. Only a very small portion is on the beach. The beach is dirty. The helmets are dirty. The horses are sad and ornery. Not the romantic thing we had envisioned. SCUBA DIVING. We didn't dive with the resort, but people who did said they loved it. We dove with SCUBA STEVE'S in Rodney Bay. It is a small, but great shop that was very friendly and picked us up at our resort.

ANSE LA RAY FISH FRY: This is a must do to experience the local food and culture. It is on a Friday Night every week. The best way to do this is to hire a taxi for the night. We recommend using a local driver named Norbert. It will cost about $100US...but they will carry you there (about 35 min drive), wait for you however long you want to stay, and then carry you back to the resort. Look for very nice white Toyota Landcruiser...and it is probably him. You could also ask the front desk or the bell hops. We shared the ride with a couple from the day cruise. It is safe in town, but watch your wallet in town.

SATURDAY MARKET in Castries: We rented a car from 10PM Friday night to 10PM Saturday night. This way you pick up the keys when you get back from the Fish Fry, and don't have to wait until the car rental place opens in the morning, but you can still keep it late enough to eat out on Saturday night. Make sure they give you a map. Check around ahead of time for the best rental deal, and make sure they will deliver the car to Windjammer. So on Saturday we got up early and drove to the market. Take lots of change and hide your money in different pockets. You can ALWAYS barter for a better price. Make sure if you are bargaining in EC$ or US$ up front. Before you buy any banana ketchup or hot sauces...go to the Super J grocery store across the street. It may be cheaper. We then went and had lunch at Spinnaker's in Rodney Bay. We then went to PIGEON ISLAND and hiked to the top. To get to Pigeon Island...you go by Gros Islet on the main road... just outside of town look for a main road turning left (nope, no signs)...follow this for about a 1/2 mile...at the fork, go to the right, and you will shortly see the Sandals Resort...just keep going past it. Park just outside the gate and walk thru. There is a fee, but it is worth it. Don't bother with the interpretive center...it's a joke.

HELPFUL HINTS: 1) Bring a lot of dollar bills for tips. Anytime you get change, it will be in EC$. 2) Make a conversion chart from EC$ to US$ for $1, $5, $10, $20, etc...and go ahead and add a column for a 15% tip. Trust me, your head will hurt trying to do the math after a while. 3) You can drink the water. 4) Bring sun tan lotion, bug spray, a dry bag, a camera with a big memory card, and some shoes you don't mind getting dirty. 5) Bring some snacks. You will especially need something on your way to the resort from the airport. 6) If you want food in the room, take a taxi to the store, and put everything you buy in the refrigerator. 7) To keep yourself liquidated, bring a couple empty water bottles with you (or buy a couple when you get there), and just refill them from the tap. The water tastes great, and they can be kept cold in the frig. 8) Don't take $100 bills with you. No place will accept $100US bills outside of the resort. 9) Bring a full change of clothes on the plane with you in case they lose your bags. 10) On the way home, take an extra shirt and keep the deoderant handy. Once you make it thru security...change the shirt in the bathroom (stick it in a plastic grocery sack) and put on some more deoderant.

• Liked — The villa and the view!
  • Disliked — Not being to lock one of the doors.
25 Thank Jharris
Reviewed 19 September 2007

Me and my husband stayed at the Windjammer Sept. 9th - Sept. 16th. On the first night of our stay I discovered a cockroach in our bedroom. The room was equiped with a can of bug spray and I killed it . A few minutes later I encountered another roach and this one was flying and jumping. I contacted the front desk and was told to use the bug spray. After two nights of not sleeping I told management of the problem. They immediately moved us to a closed villa. For the rest of our stay until the 15th I never saw another roach. On the fifthteenth I thought we had lost our safe key and when moving the king bed discovered three dead roaches. By this time I was ready to go home. Other than this problem the staff was absolutely wonderful. Another issue I encountered was upon checkin I was told prior the all inclusive was $120.00 per person for the week. Well it is $115.00 per person per day. So that was a disappointment. We did the wave runner tour and had a blast. We saw about 40 to 50 dolphins who were swimming around our boat. The trip was nice but I wouldn't go back. Also bring bug spray so yoy don't get eatten up.

7 Thank chicha63
boston
Reviewed 15 September 2007

This vacation was truely unbelievable, not only because it was our honeymoon, but because the Windjammer is a unique and beautiful place. We had great weather even for August! We went to St. Lucia in August of 2007 and were greeted at the front lobby with cool towels and the Jammers delicious Rum Punch! We were upgrated to a one bedroom villa with amazing views and a very private balcony. The service was supurb cleaning our room daily and leaving flower petals on the bed and turning down our bed at night.

The food was delicious and we had the choice of 5 different restaurants and cuisienes. I highly recommend the fried shrimp down at the Embers Beach Bar and Grille...best I've ever had. We did the all inclusive and ate and drank until our hearts were content!

The beach was nice and the nightly entertainment was a good variety. The resort offers great excursions. Our experience was so good that we almost purchased a timeshare at the resort. We can't wait to go back!!!

• Liked — We loved the lush island feel of St. Lucia.
  • Disliked — We disliked the long drive from the airport to the resort the least about our trip.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank stefanini
Maryland
Reviewed 12 September 2007

From Richard the Guest Service Manager to Francis our private taxi driver our stay at the Windjammer was one word!!! Excellent!

At night from our one room villa we could see St. Martinique or look up in the heavens and see the entire galaxy.

The mosquitoes are bad however if you purchase the local sulphur soap and wash your arms and legs with it... You can sit out for hours.

I recommend everyone to visit St. Lucia and stay at the Windjammer Landing for your Ultimate Vacation Experience!

Bowie, Maryland

6 Thank Ellisonfamily
Chicago,IL
Reviewed 11 September 2007

My husband (47) and I (32) celebrated our 1 Year Anniversary with a first time trip to St. Lucia and stay at the Windjammer Resort from 8/29 through 9/5. Our last trip was a honeymoon at the Four Seasons in Maui. Ok with that comparison, the Windjammer is not the Four Seasons and St. Lucia is not Maui, but we both agreed by the end we really enjoyed our stay on St. Lucia at the Windjammer Resort.

My first impression after disembarking the plane and jumping in our rental jeep was "we're not in America Toto." The 90 min. drive on the left side of the road, from Vieux Fort to the Windjammer led us through some pretty rough looking towns, but the roads were clear and smooth after Hurricane Dean. I would only suggest renting a car your ENTIRE trip if you're adventurous and have a need for that kind of independence. Otherwise cabs are readily available and you can work with the concierge for car rental a day at a time when you want to go explore the island on your own.

We did the standard ocean view (they're all ocean view) room at the Windjammer: A 1 room, 1 bath villa with two-story balcony (Room 144 A). I asked if any upgrades were available and Janelle was nice enough to show us a 1-bedroom villa. We ended up keeping our original because it had less obstructed of view, was cozy, and already decorated with flowers on the bed. The furnishings were average Caribbean decor, but everything was very clean. There are nicer villas though - it's all in what you're willing to pay for. We're hardly ever in the room so we didn't care. Do use the mosquito net around the bed at night - first it's romantic in a campy sort of way, and second, although the villa is enclosed with great air conditioning, the bathroom window is open (with a pulled tight curtain) and a few mosquitos do get in. Don't freak out, they weren't that bad, the hotel gives you a bug zapper and we brought some citronella candels for outside. It is the tropics though so be prepared.

The hotel itself is not the Four Seasons, but it's cute and quaint and not Four Seasons prices either. It reminds me of a Mediterranean Village like Capri, Italy or Santorini, Greece up a hillside with spectacular views. The rooms are set upwards from the main part of the resort, which is a unique feature of the Windjammer. The shuttle service was useful and we would call about 5 minutes before ready to leave our room, however once in a while we enjoyed the 10-minute walk up or down. A little exercise to burn those calories and the view is so beautiful to take your mind off the exertion. Plus the Resort's Serenity Spa was fabulous as we enjoyed a relaxing couple's massage!

The staff at Windjammer totally impressed us. They remembered our names, asked us how our stay was going, prompt response to our requests of extra towels, helpful concierge, etc. The beach is beautiful, calm, and clear. There are two pool areas- both two levels with waterfall: 1 is up the mountain around the villas (this was being worked on during our stay) and the main pool is steps away from the beach next to Jammers bar. It's not your mega pool with swim-up bar, but again quaint, lagoon style, clean, and fitting to the decor of the resort.

Construction: Yes it's there. They are building new villas "near" the beach. To be honest it's really not a factor. Yeah you can hear some noise, but we brought a battery operated portable Ipod player and never heard a thing but our music. The grounds of the resort are well kept and tropical. They might have been putting in a fountain or something at the entrance, but again we were not bothered by the development.

The Windjammer has a few Duty Free Shops, a well-stocked Mini Mart, and 4 Restaurants. We did not do the all-inclusive plan and I would not recommend it for your entire stay, as there are a lot of great restaurants on the island. The nice thing about Windjammer is you can decide on the all-inclusive plan on a day-by-day basis, which if you plan right that's probably the most bang for your buck. We enjoyed everything we ate at the Resort and every Tuesday the Free (for everyone all-inclusive or NOT) Manager's Cocktail Party was a real treat with champange, Rum Punch, upscale hors d'oeuvres, and Native Music/Dancing entertainment!! Every night they had a different live band at Jammers Bar that was fabulous - from smooth Jazzy pop like Norah Jones, to your get up and move Reggae. Watch those local Rum shots though :)

Resort Orientation: The morning after you arrive there is a 10am orientation to fill you in on all the resort happenings. One thing they will OFFER you to participate in is a 90-minute Timeshare proposition. If you CHOOSE to sit through it you get a discounted excursion in return. We did this, didn't buy in, but it wasn't bad and we got the Jammers sail, snorkel, land excursion with lunch and drinks for $30 instead of $90. By the way the Timeshare units are beautiful and the Jammers Excursion was worth it.

Outside of Windjammer my husband and I had the best meal of our trip at The Edge Restaurant in Rodney Bay
[--] Being from Chicago we are used to good food and The Edge did not disappoint! If you can, contact Chef Bobo or Annika [--] before you go to make reservations at "their most requested table" it will be a romantic evening to remember.

The second best meal related experience we had was at Dashnee restaurant of the Ladera Resort near Soufriere. We road tripped it here for lunch - the view alone from this spot is breathtakingly worth the visit. This is a full day though from the Windjammer because of the mountainous terrain, lots of switchbacks and beautiful scenery. The resorts are beautiful around Soufriere, but a little sleepy for me. I need a bit more nightlife.

We had dinner at Tao because our favorite bartender at Windjammer Sally's boyfriend, Asher, worked there. This place has fabulous service and great food as well. Just don't get there before they open because the Resort it's in, Le Sport, is all-inclusive (only) and you cannot just wander the grounds, but still a great meal.

Rodney Bay: The nightlife of the island takes place around here. We enjoyed the restaurant Buzz for a low-key evening dinner and beach bar Spinnakers great view on Reduit Beach for lunch. We also had fun hanging with the locals at Rumors dance club.

Marigot Bay is a beautiful town - I'd possibly suggest staying around here - it's ritzy, lot's of beautiful boats, a yachters paradise, several good restaurants, and lounges. The Discovery Resort is fantastic - with infinity pools, polynesian design, but no beach. I think one of the hotels in Marigot Bay does have a beach, but I cannot remember what it's called - again this
area is all about big beautiful yachts. You can get a yacht charter out of here for like over night to whereever you want to go. We'd consider doing this next time to maybe like the Grenadines. All and all you're in the Caribbean, you want a nice beach so I'd say have a Taxi take you there for the day or evening dinner rather than stay around here.

Serenity Vacations & Tours: Originally I booked the Grenadines Day Trip Excursion (fly, sail, and snorkel to 3 islands) with John Mathurin [--] but it got canceled due to some inclement weather as a result of the outerbands of Hurricane Felix. A bummer, but I must say Mr. Mathurin was a pleasure to work with, was honest about Hurricane Dean that happened before we got to St. Lucia, and always had our safety in mind.

Overall St. Lucia is our kind of place. It's exotic, a bit undiscovered, and "Simply Beautiful." The Creole people were much friendlier than I would of thought when I first got off the plane. In fact they are about the most warm-hearted group of people when you take the opportunity to get to know them. We asked for directions numerous times while driving and not once was someone rude or refused to help. They will treat you as they treat them so be kind, say hello, and smile. Feel free to email me at kim-neilson@hotmail.com with any questions.

• Liked — The views, staff, amenities, entertainment, food, location, private beach
  • Disliked — The room could of used a decor face lift and a king size bed vs queen
14 Thank kim_neilson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,080 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!