“Amazing trip...fantastic, beautiful and friendly resort” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
London
“Amazing trip...fantastic, beautiful and friendly resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

We stayed at the Windjammer Landing at the beginning of May 2011. Friends had stayed at the resort earlier in the year and gave great reviews. We knew that the resort was on a hillside and were very much up for tackling the energetic stroll to and from our room without the help of the resort shuttle. A good workout if you want it!
We arrived to a warm welcome and some tasty Rum refreshment after a rainy transfer from the airport. Our room had fantastic views, and was lovely and clean inside with nice decor.
To keep this review brief, apart from the unusual amount of rain for the time of year, we had the best time. This was due to the location, the variety and quality of cuisine / liquid refreshment available, the friendly and efficient service provided by the resort staff and the relaxed atmosphere. It is rare nowadays to experience a holiday where there are few or no issues.
There were many individuals working in the resort who made our stay a memorable one. Many thanks to:Gloria in the Dragonfly Restaurant, Barrington, Ronnie, Annel, Tricia, Anicia, Randy (of the Upper Deck Restaurant) and last but not least, the girls in charge of organising trips, Lanyve, Suleka and Gemar...Tom Cruise says hello :-)
I have stayed at many places around the globe as a result of holidays and working in the travel / health industry but no place has inspired me to write a review before. This is a special place to unwind and get away from it all, yet has the right balance and affords the opportunity if you want to liven things up a bit.
Would we go again...definitely! Thank you.

1 Thank Northernlight42
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 1 June 2011
Thank you for the terrific review! I'm pleased that so many of our team made a positive impact on your stay; I'll make sure your kind words are passed along to every one of them. We all hope that you'll come back again!

mozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

I stayed at Windjammer Landings with my parents just after Christmas 2010 and over new year for two weeks and it was the best hotel in the Carribbean that I have visited by far. I have been to Antigua before, also Barbados, but Windjammer Landings and St Lucia really stood out to me. The staff were so helpfull and friendly and the rooms we stayed in - 2 anthurium Lily suites were very clean and comfortable.

We stayed bed and breakfast which I would reccommend as the breakfast is excellent and filled us up all day un till the evenings where we would go out to eat - most often Rodney Bay which had some lovely restaurants includine 'Big Chef' where I have never tasted a steak as good as that in my life before.

The Beach at Windjammer Landing's is a beautiful and the whole atmosphere is so wonderful. I really really reccommend this hotel!!! 5+ stars from me!!

• Stayed December 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind review. I'm pleased you had such a good time and hope you'll be back to spend the holidays with us again this year!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2011

I would have said that this was a superb resort, and although it was very very good, there were just one little niggle that I didn't like.
Restaurants - really nice variation and feeling of each restaurant, food was excellent and service from staff was very efficient, wasting no time in topping up your wine glass, fantastic. Two barbeque buffet nights made for an interesting variation in the Dragonfly restaurant. You will spend most time in here as it is the location for breakfast, their chinese food was very nice but a little disappointed with the indian stuff. Upper Deck was fantastic for a steak, superb taste but they do err on the side of caution, so if you like it medium, ask for it rare. My favourite restaurant for atmosphere was Papa Don's, excellent service, great location. And if you like Nacho's, Ember's on the beach front is the place.
Beach - They say public beach, but had the feel of a private beach, almost no other hotels near us so it does have an exclusive feel to it. three beach bars to choose from, staff were very quick to serve and bring drinks over. Only thing i would advise is to set up a tab at a bar because otherwise you will be endlessly signing to your room. Rum punch was lethal! and they will make any cocktail you want, even if it's not on the list, that was a nice touch.
Room - I had a nose around all the room types and I would definitely recommend asking for a higher view if you opt for the lowest room category as the views are much better, but each has their own private sundeck, which was great for an evening drink at sunset. Decor was typically caribbean, wooden ceiling and fittings, marble/stone floor, sparsly decorated, nicely done.
Activites - All watersports included, jetski's were only thing not included as they were offered by locals for hire. Nice tennis courts, unusually good quality, but beware that they do not offer balls, you have to buy them...so bring your own...
The only thing I didn't like and I had no control over was the incessant noise of the crickets at night. I am a light sleeper and didn't bring any form of ear plugs. so if you do sleep lightly, make sure you bring them as it is non-stop from about 6pm until 6am. The room wasn't sound tight, so it seemed very loud. Also, a comment from a colleague who stayed here, if you have a room that has an adjoining door to another villa/suite, then you will hear every noise and conversation. This was the only downside to the hotel.

With the exception of the noise issues I had a fantastic holiday here, it is really good value for money and you will have a great time if you are not looking to do too much. As I said in the title, it was fantastic, but not quite superb.

Room Tip: ask for a room higher up for better views.
1 Thank Byron_DAF
Thank you for the very thorough review! I'm sure readers will appreciate the details and I am glad you had so many good experiences. I apologize for the sounds of crickets - one of the trade-offs when one is surrounded by nature. I hope you'll come back - I'll provide the ear plugs for you!

Atlantic City, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2011

I really wanted to like the Windjammer but unfortunately it fell short. It’s a lovely resort (in concept), with natural foliage and villas but overall did not meet my vision of a “luxury resort” for a romantic visit. The villas are sweet and comfortable, but it ends there.

Common areas were busy with other loud vacationers. Great for them enjoying their friends at the bar; in fact this looks like a great place for a group who wants to have loud fun. But I thought it would be – different. I consider a luxury resort where you feel like you’re one of the only guests staying there, even if there hundreds. The beach wasn’t that great either – it’s on a cove so it’s more of a lagoon almost with kids splashing around playing. Surely there are better beaches out there.

It seems they have kept up with certain parts of the resort (like the new villas) but other areas need improvement. The spa was not a tranquil space – it’s dated and shabby with cold white walls and old carpet. The same goes for the outdated fitness center. Such a shame.

Ever since our stay at windjammer we are cautious about booking future “luxury resorts” vacations with any large resort. From now on we’re putting a better effort when making our selection. Better luck next time. :0)

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blusie
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you for the review. I am sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can do to make amends.

Regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

We recently got married at the Windjammer-Landing resort and had an amazing time. I was a little nervous to bring all of our guests there because I read a few reviews saying the villas were run down and there were a lot of bugs. The villas may be a little beach worn, but definitely not run down. Mosquitoes are an issue, but I’d imagine that’s an inconvenience at any coastal resort and bites are easily prevented with bug spray and sleeping under the mosquito net. Overall, everything was beyond our expectations.

Staff
All Windjammer staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. Even though it is a large resort, they make an effort to remember each guest, giving it a much more personal feel. When we arrived, we were assigned a personal Ambassador, Donizet. She organized our accommodations and was there to help with unexpected stressors. She even assisted my father, who has trouble walking, with the shuttle service. Donizet, as well as the other staff, were extremely helpful in reducing my stress associated with wedding planning and organizing a large group of people. I am very thankful to them all.

Villas
The villas/ guestrooms were comfortable, well-maintained and very clean. The resort is nestled on a mountainside, descending all the way to the beach. The white stucco villas are interspersed throughout natural vegetation, which provides the most breathtaking views. It really makes you feel like you are staying in the middle of a rainforest. Although we didn’t stay at any other resort on the island, we saw many while boating along the coast and Windjammer is by far the prettiest in the Northern part of the island. Another great thing about the resort is that guests can rent sailboats, kayaks and banana boats for free.

Wedding
We couldn’t have asked for better wedding coordinators. I mainly worked with Simone, who has become a very close friend through this process. However, Melanie definitely helped with the planning and both made sure that everything was executed flawlessly. The décor for both the ceremony and reception were stunning. The food was incredible. Thank you Gloria! We hired a steel drum band for our ceremony and cocktail hour. All of our guests loved them and they definitely set a Caribbean Island vibe. One of the most memorable aspects of our reception was the Limbo dancers. Their performance was awesome and really got the party vibe going. In addition to our ceremony and reception, Simone and Melanie coordinated a rehearsal sunset cruise for us the day before. The boat staff really stepped it up and got everyone dancing, ensuring that all had an amazing time. Simone also worked with the Jammers tour company to help me plan a private tour of Soufriere and the west coast the day after the wedding, which was another trip highlight.

The entire experience was amazing. We were extremely impressed with the resort and can’t wait to plan a trip back to visit.

Helpful Tips
Bring bug spray! Also, the resort is located in a fairly remote area, with nothing within walking distance. The closest shopping areas are in Rodney Bay (10-15 min drive) and Castries (20 min drive). Shuttles are available for hire, but we found it very convenient to rent a car. Lastly, the resort is extremely large, which makes it a little difficult to keep track of other guests. Since we had such a big party (about 30 people), it was really helpful to bring walkie-talkies to keep in contact with everyone.

Waltham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2011

My fiancee and I arrived at the Windjammer a day late after a Jet Blue mechanical issue, but were motivated to have a good time. We rented a car to ensure we can see the island in its entirety. Upon checking into the Windjammer after some unique traveling (steering wheel on the right side and very narrow roads) we were greeted with great kindness and sincereity from Linden who worked at the front desk. Throughout the week, he was continually checking in with us to ensure we were having a good time. He gave us a bottle of champagne for it being out honeymoon and was a pleasure meeting. The 2 bedroom villas at the resort are breath taking and the 1 bedroom villas are also quite nice. The restaurants were all fairly priced with some good food. The bar, Jammers, had a great bartender (Daniel) who was really fun to talk with. He was always fast, courteous, and enjoyable to see each evening. We met Cornelius in security and he also was very welcoming and a great guy. Lanyve worked in the marketing department and also went out of her way to ensure we were enjoying our Windjammer stay by recommending certain events and informing us on others to allow us to make sound decisions.

We saw nearly every inch of the island through a guided tour which was terrific. Our biggest highlight off the resort was Ziplining by Canopy Adventures. The lava bath and volcano were neat to see, Marigot Bay was beautiful, and Castries had some great historical landmarks including the Governor House and a beautiful Catholic Church.

Our only negative of the trip besides the cancelled JetBlue flight was the Fish Fry every Friday evening. We went with a party of 5 and from 9PM to 11PM was a great time. After 11PM, the locals get quite drunk and definitely push the alcohol on the tourists and by midnight they were demanding our money. One local was talking about his machete and how we wanted to cut us up for our wallets. My advice, leave by 10:30PM the latest. I definitely took out my frustration on the gentlemen at the front desk of the windjammer (which I should not have), but it was frustrating as after we tried reporting to the local police, they did not care and weren't going to send a cop over to the hotel until the following evening which is unacceptable.

Room Tip: Recommend Paying more and getting the 2 bedroom.
1 Thank rickorpal
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 May 2011
Congratulations on your recent marriage! I'm glad Linden, Daniel, Lenyve, and Cornelius were so helpful to you. At the same time, I am sorry about the incident at the Fish Fry. I hope you come back and let us help you celebrate your anniversary!

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

It looks very pretty but the roads are extremely steep and also many steep steps. It can be irritating to have to wait for a shuttle bus.
It is annoying having to book well head to get a seat in the restaurants. I turned up at Papa Don's restaurant when they were opening and they found me a table (lovely setting and nice atmosphere) - the same thing didn't happen at Upper Deck. I ate at the bar/restaurant which was OK.
How ever early you walk on to the beach all the sun loungers are covered in towels and possessions - they are empty most of the time and you can find a lot of the people up by the pool. There are a lot of spare sun loungers but there is no where left in a shady position. The people with the towels are not Germans they are English!
I found it particularly irritating to have people on site trying to sell timeshare. They were a pain in the neck. All in all it seemed like an upmarket Butlins.
Sometimes it would be nice to have a drink at the property but it would be impossible to carry it back by shuttle bus and service to the room would expect a large tip.
I was pleased that I was not charged any extras on "all inclusive" as some other places do.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I appreciate the feedback. We're ordering some new shuttles and we've taken some steps to make sure we focus our timeshare discussions on guests who are interested. Please contact me if you change you mind and decide to come back - I am confident you will have a great experience.

Regards,

mozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,006 reviews
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!