“Don't overlook this resort...”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We arrived late in the day and Admittedly had a few hiccups in the settling in process. However the several rum punches we had whilst waiting together with the staff attitude made everything a little bit easier.

We stayed in a premium ocean view room up by papa dons restaurant with a roof balcony but no jacuzi. I can only highly recommend this, there is a small pool close by, the main beach a small stroll away and a fantastic balcony which became our private retreat.

The staff were great and assisted with our every whim, it made the stay truly pleasurable. Their attention to detail was excellent and they seemed to judge the smaller things well to make the experience better.

We didn't do the all inclusive deal and ate out at various locations but the meals we had at the resort were always good.

We did several activities at and around the resort-sailing the guys sorted you out well. Diving, Eastern Carribbean Divers (see their reviews). Laurels up the road (1.6km) was great for a change of food to local flair; the anse al raye fish fryday is a must if you like both sea food and self inflicted gout.

We also hired a car and drove/hiked the pitons which you can organize for a day (leave early) from the hotel rental company - makes the remaining week of self indulgence more justified somehow.

I am sure there are more secluded, expensive and unique resorts on offer but the value and experience of windjammer was more than we could have hoped for. Don't overlook this place.

Definitely recommended for a romantic getaway even if you aren't one of the throng of honeymooners!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank divingmonkee

Reviewed 30 October 2011

Just back from 10 nights 'all inclusive' at Windjammer Landing. We stayed in a 2 bed villa close to reception. Our teenage son had his own enormous room above us, and we had the main area consisting of an air conditioned bedroom, open plan kitchen, dining and sitting room, balcony with very comfortable seating and a view facing west for the superb sunsets. There was also a plunge pool which just added to the luxury.
I love birds and was delightfully surprised on the first morning to find a little Bullfinch sitting on the breakfast bar waiting to be fed. I did bring the odd slice of bannana bread back from breakfast for them and placed it on the balcony, the smaller birds still brought it indoors to eat. In the last few days I discovered why. A pair of small Kestrels or similar were roosting under the eves. How fantastic for me to see them so close. Not so for the small birds as there was evidence of a fatality one morning....that's nature for you.
The pools and beach were lovely. We spent most of the time on the beach or in the sea which was very safe and warm. The water sports were the best we've had so far in the Carribean. The Lads were so patient teaching all age groups to ski, windsurf, sail and more. The snorkeling trips were excelent, particularly the morning trips.

All food and restaurants were excellent, although the Upper Deck didn't re-open untill our 7th evening, due to renovation. This was acceptable as the whole place was so well maintained. To keep up this standard the work has to be done at some time.
The grounds were beautifull and so well groomed. We walked to the very top of the property one evening and saw some fabulous detatched villas. The flora and fauna was to die for. Did I mention the Humming birds which, if you keep an eye out, you will see.

If I have to be totaly honest, the only down points are :

We did have to wait an hour for a meal a couple of times, not a great problem once you slip into holiday mode.
The serving staff didn't seem to be the usual cheerful Carribeans that we have met at other resorts. Either they aren't happy in their job or it could be down to the way some of the clientele treat them.

Forgot to mention the cats.
There are quite a few around. Not a problem for us as it was like home from home. This is the first resort we have been to where they have looked very healthy. They were so well behaved and only begged for a morsel when knowone else had fed them. It was lovely how they seemed to be welcomed by staff ( could be due to the amount of English and American cat loving guests).

Would go back tommorow if only...

2  Thank Ann P
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed in a 1 bed villa number 114. This was painted all in White inside and out, small kitchen but well equipped. I previously requested an enclosed villa as I had read some were open aired in the lounge/dining area. I received an e mail confirming this would be ok. I was glad I did this as some people did seem to be suffering with nat bites. There was a large fridge freezer, oven, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, and more. The bathroom and bedroom were large, and there was a door from bedroom to balcony as well as from lounge area. There was additional dining table on balcony and two sun loungers. Decoration was simple but traditional and very comfortable. There is DVD but we forgot you can not use DVD from home, but found out later they have rental service in hotel. Mind you we had such a good time during the day, by the time we had dinner we were wacked out and did not have late nights. My daughter is 7 and normally likes to venture to kids club, which I had heard was good. The resort however was so geared up for children with all the activities and waterspouts along with the tranquil calm sea, that she never did end up going. It's really hard to explain how this resort has got things so right, but they just have. The staff a really friendly and whilst there were a few waits in restaurants that was not ideal with small children in the evenings, they did try and make up for it on future nights. I personally had no problems. I think some of the kitchens just needed to be better organised on getting food out in order, from what I saw and heard. The food was brilliant and whilst I did not go all inclusive because I dislike the same type of food being served every night, this was not the case the restaurant food was lovely and varied.There were also plenty of different places to eat in. Breakfast was definitely over priced however! The resort itself is unique in it's setting with everything geared mainly around a bar and pool area which sits directly behind the waters edge, with all the accommodation up in the bays hills. There is a large and children pool near each other but several other pools that are very quiet dotted around the resort area, and normally near your accommodation, so you have the best of both worlds. The beach is lovely, calm and tranquil with a large beach area covering the whole bay so you can be near the bar and pools or go to a quieter area and relax more. The watersports are outstanding and even if you are not all inclusive al non motorised is free, the prices of the waterskiing is so cheap too I paid US$ 40 for 6 rides but the banana boat and tubes were also free.they also have come up with this great idea where they having a floating slide and trampoline and climbing inflatable in the cordoned off area in the water for the young children, this was really great as I saw really young children being incentivised by these to swim further and for longer, as they had little goals to achieve and when they got to one of these floatings things, they really had a great fun, so if you have a child who wants or needs to build on swing skills it fab! Waterspouts guys well what can I say Vincent and Kensley and Romanas were so helpful and patient with myself learning to ski and my daughter loved them. You could see they genuinely loved their job and the people that visit, thanks to them. I also met a lovely lady on day 1 who worked on the timeshare side of job ( Jessica ) and she was lovely too and was always happy and went out of her way. All in all in all a great holiday thank you windjammer!

Room Tip: E mail hotel prior and ask for enclosed villa, or one nearer reception if like to be nearer everythi...
1  Thank LouLouFareham
Reviewed 27 October 2011

The weather was perfect for a short trip to St Lucia, my transfer was ok and I had a nice guy with a lovely comfortable cool air con car. When I arrived to see my one bedroom villa with plunge pool and the most stunning views I couldn't believe what a lovely relaxing few days I was going to have. I was on all inclusive and I tried the various restaurants which were all excellent, I loved the one overlooking the ocean, my idea of heaven looking out to sea while having a gorgeous meal. It was a perfect resort for either couples or families and the kids that were there seemed to be having a great time, there was all sorts of plastic slides and bouncy things in the sea for them.
I did manage to see a few of the other villas and my favourite one was the 4 bedroom estate villa at the top of the resort, the kitchen was cool and contemporary and a huge swimming pool, it would be perfect for a family re-union. All in all a resort I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: The Hibiscus suites are nearer to the beach and the bar but the villas have more space and have grea...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Pamela F
Reviewed 16 October 2011

We just spent 7 days at the Windjammer and it was amazing. Despite being off/rainy season we enjoyed 31+ and minimal rainfall every day. This was our second trip to the Windjammer and we were so surprised that so many of the staff greeted us with a 'welcome back' remembering us from 18 months ago with no prompting. Made us feel like we were home and one of the 'family'.
We stayed in one of the one bed villas, very spacious inside with the most amazing terrace and views of 2 incredible bays. The hill is steep but we were in no rush to get up and down and the gardens you walk through are so beautifully kept.
The free snorkelling trip in the morning is brilliant, one day we managed to see an octopus and a turtle within the space of minutes. We also did a snorkelling trip down to Chastanet which was great, but could not compete with this.
The only disapointment was that The Upper Deck restaurant was not open as last year it hasd a fantastic setting with excellent food. I am sure when it re-opens it will be better than ever. Andre at Papa Don's was so attentive as our waiter and delivered our best 2 nights eating in the resort.
Will be hard to ever consider going somewhere else in the Caribbean, but if we ever return to St Lucia it will definitely be back to Windjammer.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2011

All the villas have great sea views. All the staff makes sure you are having a good time and provide great recommandations for dinner, shopping, tours ect.
It is also not far from Rodney Bay where you can find many Restaurants and a great night life.
Perfect for a unforgettable holiday

1  Thank Pascal M
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Firstly I would like to say that the transfer to the hotel almost spoilt the whole thing and knowing I had to do it again seven days later cast a bit of a pall over my holiday. Almost 2 hours on potholed, badly damaged roads, hairpin bends up and down mountains, the slopes littered with the odd abandoned vehicle, was a nightmare. Was so travel sick I spent most of the first evening in a cool darkened room, so beware and be prepared.

However, I got a really good rate for 7 nights on all inclusive here, fantastic value as I could eat anywhere and all drinks were included (premium brands as well). Have stayed in the Caribbean before and would say this resort is not really one of the luxury ones. Decor is a bit tired, swimming pool had peeling plaster on the walls and many cracks in tile surround and my terrace was a tad tatty (pictures have been posted).

Food was varied, had some fantastic steaks but also a few disasters (King prawns do NOT go well with gravy!!!!) The breakfast was either buffet or from A La carte and service at breakfast was with a smile. Papa Dons was Greek/Italian, Dragonfly Chinese/indian and both were a bit hit and miss. The biggest problem with all the restaurants was the number of feral cats begging at the tables, the staff made no attempt to see them off and I had to eat my dinner one evening in Papa Don's surrounded by mewling cats, one of whom tried to jump on my lap! Both Jammers by the pool and Embers on the beach offered tasty lunchtime fare, served quickly.

The shuttle service to the rooms was a bit of a pain and on a few evenings fed up with waiting or being 'queue jumped' I walked back to the room, not a good idea in 32 c high humidity up a 40% gradient!!

Would have been very disappointed if I had paid the rates on the hotel's website but did get a good deal through Destinology, so am moderately happy, probably wouldn't come back though unless could afford helicoper transfer!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Meridian35
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!