“Sadly disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
England
“Sadly disappointing”
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Sadly I have to agree with KiminUK that Windjammer is in serious decline, having visited 3 times over the past few years. We have timeshare elsewhere and have exchanged to Windjammer because we enjoyed it so much previously and this time were prepared to invest in timeshare within Windjammer. Knowing this we would have expected to receive excellent service but this did not happen and so many things were not right that I may not be able to remember all of them in this review.
Firstly we arrived early on the Sunday as we took the helicopter transfer and although we knew check in was 3pm did hope, as the resort was nowhere near full, that we would get in to our room a bit early but ended up having to wait well past check in time despite chasing this up every so often and feeling a bit ignored by staff - not a good start.
The first night we booked a table at Papa Don's as we knew the food would be good and being jet-lagged did not want to stay up too late. Unfortunately the service was not as expected and we had quite a wait for our main course. My vegetarian mousakka appeared on the heated counter and sat there for a good 20 minutes while we waited for my wife's pizza (why can't they time these together?) so when it came to me it was lukewarm so I immediately sent it back and had a further wait for a hot mousakka to arrive.
Everything after that was Ok, apart from the decking area beside the jacuzzi being a bit old and some of the wood rotten, and with every possibility of disappearing to the balcony below, and the roof trellis being covered in black mould, which is both unsightly and dangerous to health, until Thursday night when we got a table at Embers for dinner. First off I ordered a drink and although this appeared on the bar the waitress forgot to deliver it until reminded (our waitress wandered round aimlessly after taking our order chewing gum and if it wasn't so sad it would be funny). Our starters arrvied fairly quickly then we awaited the main course. After over an hour we were still waiting but my wife's fish appeared on the heated counter while we waited for my seafood fettucine (again why can't they time dishes to be served at the same time?) and sat there again for a full 20 minutes. When the waitress brought the food my wife said she couldn't accept it so the waitress tutted. made a face then just walked away. We therefore stood up and walked away complaining to the manager as we left. That night there were many other complaints as we spoke to other diners on the way out and there had been a queue outside for over an hour while finished tables had not been cleared. (Remember the aimless wanderings of the gum chewing waitress, who, when we spoke to her stated "I'm only helping out tonight" - but helping implies actually doing something.)
Come Sunday, being a timeshare exchange which operates on a weekly basis, we had to move rooms and although we knew this, and bearing in mind we were still thinking of investing in timeshare there, we could not just move from one room to another but had to follow check out and check in procedure, so were expected to leave our room at 11am and check in to a new one at 3pm. Sadly this did not happen and although we stayed away until about 4pm our room was still not ready at that time, despite check in being 3pm. I think the excuse was that cleaners were busy preparing rooms for new arrivals but in effect we were new arrivals but this does not seem to be understood. When we got to our room, 207, we knew immediately that we could not stay due to the dirt, broken lights, ancient furniture, broken window blind, and bathroom lights hanging out of their sockets so insisted on being moved or we would have to leave the resort.
They were still trying to sell us timeshare so had another chance to show that the mishaps previousy encountered were blips and everything would be fine from now on.
We have been assured by so many different people that we would be looked after and we would notice an improvement so were shown another room, not yet empty and when we said it was good, were told we could move out of 207 at 11am and be in the new room within the hour.
We packed our bags and went out for the day and when we returned at about 4pm were told the new room still wasn't ready. Can you imagine just how angry I was at that point? Multiply that by 50 and you will be getting close. Seems the occupiers did not follow the 11am check out rule and nobody bothered to chase them up so in the end we did not get in until about 6pm.
There were so many chances during our time there for staff to make amends and prove that they could look after us the way we hoped and expected but every time they messed up so the decision was easy for us not to invest. Sadly it also convinced us that we will not return to Windjammer again.
The shuttle bus system also proved to be a real nuisance this time as one of the roads was being repaired for most of our time there so no matter whether we were first in the queue or last, the shuttle went first to the top villas and we always seemed to be last so some days we were in the bus for over 20 minutes and went round and round dropping off and picking up others, so the system needs a radical overhaul. The 15 minute wait time also became stretched a few times and is just not acceptable.
New resorts now beckon.

Room Tip: Avoid room 207 at all costs
2 Thank stluciafan62
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am sorry for the issues you encountered and I wrote an apology in response to your wife's note.

Regards,

Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
Bordeaux, Aquitaine, France
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We have just returned from a 7 night all inclusive stay at the Windjammer landing and I must say that we are totally chilled out. This was our fourth visit to St Lucia and our first to the Windjammer and I can happily say that it was the best to date. We had a premium ocean view suite on three levels with a twin bedded bedroom, ensuite shower & toilet on the ground floor, four poster double bedroom with ensuite shower & toilet and lounge area on the first floor and a roof terrace with sunbeds. The accommodation was excellent and exceeded our expectations. The food at the resort was very good with lots of choice on where and what to eat. The service could sometimes be slow (this is the caribbean after all) but the staff were very friendly and added to the overall positive experience. We were a little concerned however, because our 17 year old has a wheat intolerance. We needn't have worried. Our first meal was at Papa Dons restaurant (Mediterranean food) and the chef fixed up a tasty wheat/gluten free pasta dish for our daughter. We were impressed with this and it continued over the following week with the head chef Bill Munn & his team, conjuring up pancakes, bread, banana cake and chocolate muffins which our daughter could eat whenever she wanted. This was a fantastic touch and really added a "delight" factor to our holiday, so thank you Bill and your staff. Drinks were the best we've had & all the facilities on offer were also great. Even the resort manager, John Maycock, impressed us with his willingness to help load/unload baggage and put up sun shades etc. Nice touch and it's these little things that really made a difference for us. Overall, very good value and experience and you can book an all inclusive holiday at the Windjammer with confidence.

Room Tip: Best positioned rooms/suites for sea views and proximity to pools, beach, bars & restaurants are...
2 Thank Stephen S
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2011

But feel I have to share our recent experience. We are timeshare owners at Windjammer Landing and renewed our wedding vows at the resort 2 years ago, but cannot believe how the resort has gone down hill since our last visit.

The overwhelming thing about the resort, apart from the views, was how friendly and caring the staff used to be, but this certainly isn't the case any more. We arrived at the resort and were left for 1 1/2 hours as the reception staff forgot us, an apology would have been nice but was not forth coming. I will admit we were early and the room wasn't ready, this was a bit surprising as the resort was three quarters empty, but never mind we went and had lunch at Jammers, and whiled away a couple of hours, however, when we went back to reception the room still wasn't ready. We ended up getting into our room around 1 hour after check-in time.

Later the same day we went down to 'Happy Hour'. Unfortunately we were a couple of minutes early, and got talking to another guest who recommend a cocktail his partner had had and so we ordered one, my Husband ordered a drink too which never arrived. Around 5.05 they rang the bell for happy hour to begin and all the bar staff disappeared to sort out the bills for any drinks ordered earlier. My Husband still didn't get a drink, just the EC$25 bill for my drink, this was a shame as the same drink had cost be EC$12 in Rodney Bar the village around 10 minutes drive away. It was a further 20 minutes before my Husband was served. Again if they had been busy it wouldn't have been a problem but they weren't. The staff were wandering around not doing anything in particular!

Our apartment is situated in Hibiscus, the newest block on the front. I will say that there was work going on, which did create more noise than usual, and it should be noted that we only found out about the work on the resorts Facebook page, they didn't find it necessary to let us know in advance. Also when we purchased the unit we were told that the pool was for the exclusive use of Hibiscus guests this is not the case. We were woken up every morning around 7.30 by 4 unaccompanied children aged between about 9 and 12, who came down from the villas behind, screaming and shouting in the pools. The resort was aware but despite the pools not opening until 9.00 am did nothing to stop this.

The catalogue of errors went on and on. It is such a shame that the spark that made Windjammer Landing special has well and truly gone. The caring, friendly atmosphere that used to exist has gone, which means that Windjammer Landing has become just another resort and not a great one at that.

3 Thank TravelfanfromUK
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
I, too, am sad to read your review and I am so disappointed to read about your experience. I can understand why you feel let down and I am very sorry for this. I can assure you this not what we expect from ourselves. I would like to make amends to you and discuss this with you. Please send your contact information to me at mozawa@windjammer-landing.com and I will follow-up.

Warm regards,

Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My wife and I just returned from St. Lucia. We had our wedding and reception at Windjammer. We were overwhelmed with the amount of work the staff put in and just how nice everything turned out. Melanie and Simone (wedding coordinators) are awesome!! They were extremely accommodating and helpful with all the planning and went above and beyond on every aspect. Granted we were a little nervous about planning a wedding from so far away and not seeing anything in person until the day of wedding. We were very happy with all the wedding details and all of our guests echoed the same sentiments. We would have no problem recommending having a wedding here, they are pros here. Although we didn't stay here (we stayed in a private villa) I am sure it would be a great place to stay, the property is very scenic and has a perfect location for the sunset.

Thanks again Melanie and Simone!

Wes and Nikki

Baghdad, Iraq
Reviewed 31 October 2011

We arrived late in the day and Admittedly had a few hiccups in the settling in process. However the several rum punches we had whilst waiting together with the staff attitude made everything a little bit easier.

We stayed in a premium ocean view room up by papa dons restaurant with a roof balcony but no jacuzi. I can only highly recommend this, there is a small pool close by, the main beach a small stroll away and a fantastic balcony which became our private retreat.

The staff were great and assisted with our every whim, it made the stay truly pleasurable. Their attention to detail was excellent and they seemed to judge the smaller things well to make the experience better.

We didn't do the all inclusive deal and ate out at various locations but the meals we had at the resort were always good.

We did several activities at and around the resort-sailing the guys sorted you out well. Diving, Eastern Carribbean Divers (see their reviews). Laurels up the road (1.6km) was great for a change of food to local flair; the anse al raye fish fryday is a must if you like both sea food and self inflicted gout.

We also hired a car and drove/hiked the pitons which you can organize for a day (leave early) from the hotel rental company - makes the remaining week of self indulgence more justified somehow.

I am sure there are more secluded, expensive and unique resorts on offer but the value and experience of windjammer was more than we could have hoped for. Don't overlook this place.

Definitely recommended for a romantic getaway even if you aren't one of the throng of honeymooners!

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank divingmonkee
Reigate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Just back from 10 nights 'all inclusive' at Windjammer Landing. We stayed in a 2 bed villa close to reception. Our teenage son had his own enormous room above us, and we had the main area consisting of an air conditioned bedroom, open plan kitchen, dining and sitting room, balcony with very comfortable seating and a view facing west for the superb sunsets. There was also a plunge pool which just added to the luxury.
I love birds and was delightfully surprised on the first morning to find a little Bullfinch sitting on the breakfast bar waiting to be fed. I did bring the odd slice of bannana bread back from breakfast for them and placed it on the balcony, the smaller birds still brought it indoors to eat. In the last few days I discovered why. A pair of small Kestrels or similar were roosting under the eves. How fantastic for me to see them so close. Not so for the small birds as there was evidence of a fatality one morning....that's nature for you.
The pools and beach were lovely. We spent most of the time on the beach or in the sea which was very safe and warm. The water sports were the best we've had so far in the Carribean. The Lads were so patient teaching all age groups to ski, windsurf, sail and more. The snorkeling trips were excelent, particularly the morning trips.

All food and restaurants were excellent, although the Upper Deck didn't re-open untill our 7th evening, due to renovation. This was acceptable as the whole place was so well maintained. To keep up this standard the work has to be done at some time.
The grounds were beautifull and so well groomed. We walked to the very top of the property one evening and saw some fabulous detatched villas. The flora and fauna was to die for. Did I mention the Humming birds which, if you keep an eye out, you will see.

If I have to be totaly honest, the only down points are :

We did have to wait an hour for a meal a couple of times, not a great problem once you slip into holiday mode.
The serving staff didn't seem to be the usual cheerful Carribeans that we have met at other resorts. Either they aren't happy in their job or it could be down to the way some of the clientele treat them.

Forgot to mention the cats.
There are quite a few around. Not a problem for us as it was like home from home. This is the first resort we have been to where they have looked very healthy. They were so well behaved and only begged for a morsel when knowone else had fed them. It was lovely how they seemed to be welcomed by staff ( could be due to the amount of English and American cat loving guests).

Would go back tommorow if only...

2 Thank Ann P
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed in a 1 bed villa number 114. This was painted all in White inside and out, small kitchen but well equipped. I previously requested an enclosed villa as I had read some were open aired in the lounge/dining area. I received an e mail confirming this would be ok. I was glad I did this as some people did seem to be suffering with nat bites. There was a large fridge freezer, oven, hob, microwave, kettle, toaster, coffee machine, and more. The bathroom and bedroom were large, and there was a door from bedroom to balcony as well as from lounge area. There was additional dining table on balcony and two sun loungers. Decoration was simple but traditional and very comfortable. There is DVD but we forgot you can not use DVD from home, but found out later they have rental service in hotel. Mind you we had such a good time during the day, by the time we had dinner we were wacked out and did not have late nights. My daughter is 7 and normally likes to venture to kids club, which I had heard was good. The resort however was so geared up for children with all the activities and waterspouts along with the tranquil calm sea, that she never did end up going. It's really hard to explain how this resort has got things so right, but they just have. The staff a really friendly and whilst there were a few waits in restaurants that was not ideal with small children in the evenings, they did try and make up for it on future nights. I personally had no problems. I think some of the kitchens just needed to be better organised on getting food out in order, from what I saw and heard. The food was brilliant and whilst I did not go all inclusive because I dislike the same type of food being served every night, this was not the case the restaurant food was lovely and varied.There were also plenty of different places to eat in. Breakfast was definitely over priced however! The resort itself is unique in it's setting with everything geared mainly around a bar and pool area which sits directly behind the waters edge, with all the accommodation up in the bays hills. There is a large and children pool near each other but several other pools that are very quiet dotted around the resort area, and normally near your accommodation, so you have the best of both worlds. The beach is lovely, calm and tranquil with a large beach area covering the whole bay so you can be near the bar and pools or go to a quieter area and relax more. The watersports are outstanding and even if you are not all inclusive al non motorised is free, the prices of the waterskiing is so cheap too I paid US$ 40 for 6 rides but the banana boat and tubes were also free.they also have come up with this great idea where they having a floating slide and trampoline and climbing inflatable in the cordoned off area in the water for the young children, this was really great as I saw really young children being incentivised by these to swim further and for longer, as they had little goals to achieve and when they got to one of these floatings things, they really had a great fun, so if you have a child who wants or needs to build on swing skills it fab! Waterspouts guys well what can I say Vincent and Kensley and Romanas were so helpful and patient with myself learning to ski and my daughter loved them. You could see they genuinely loved their job and the people that visit, thanks to them. I also met a lovely lady on day 1 who worked on the timeshare side of job ( Jessica ) and she was lovely too and was always happy and went out of her way. All in all in all a great holiday thank you windjammer!

Room Tip: E mail hotel prior and ask for enclosed villa, or one nearer reception if like to be nearer everythi...
1 Thank LouLouFareham
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!