Sadly I have to agree with KiminUK that Windjammer is in serious decline, having visited 3 times over the past few years. We have timeshare elsewhere and have exchanged to Windjammer because we enjoyed it so much previously and this time were prepared to invest in timeshare within Windjammer. Knowing this we would have expected to receive excellent service but this did not happen and so many things were not right that I may not be able to remember all of them in this review.
Firstly we arrived early on the Sunday as we took the helicopter transfer and although we knew check in was 3pm did hope, as the resort was nowhere near full, that we would get in to our room a bit early but ended up having to wait well past check in time despite chasing this up every so often and feeling a bit ignored by staff - not a good start.
The first night we booked a table at Papa Don's as we knew the food would be good and being jet-lagged did not want to stay up too late. Unfortunately the service was not as expected and we had quite a wait for our main course. My vegetarian mousakka appeared on the heated counter and sat there for a good 20 minutes while we waited for my wife's pizza (why can't they time these together?) so when it came to me it was lukewarm so I immediately sent it back and had a further wait for a hot mousakka to arrive.
Everything after that was Ok, apart from the decking area beside the jacuzzi being a bit old and some of the wood rotten, and with every possibility of disappearing to the balcony below, and the roof trellis being covered in black mould, which is both unsightly and dangerous to health, until Thursday night when we got a table at Embers for dinner. First off I ordered a drink and although this appeared on the bar the waitress forgot to deliver it until reminded (our waitress wandered round aimlessly after taking our order chewing gum and if it wasn't so sad it would be funny). Our starters arrvied fairly quickly then we awaited the main course. After over an hour we were still waiting but my wife's fish appeared on the heated counter while we waited for my seafood fettucine (again why can't they time dishes to be served at the same time?) and sat there again for a full 20 minutes. When the waitress brought the food my wife said she couldn't accept it so the waitress tutted. made a face then just walked away. We therefore stood up and walked away complaining to the manager as we left. That night there were many other complaints as we spoke to other diners on the way out and there had been a queue outside for over an hour while finished tables had not been cleared. (Remember the aimless wanderings of the gum chewing waitress, who, when we spoke to her stated "I'm only helping out tonight" - but helping implies actually doing something.)
Come Sunday, being a timeshare exchange which operates on a weekly basis, we had to move rooms and although we knew this, and bearing in mind we were still thinking of investing in timeshare there, we could not just move from one room to another but had to follow check out and check in procedure, so were expected to leave our room at 11am and check in to a new one at 3pm. Sadly this did not happen and although we stayed away until about 4pm our room was still not ready at that time, despite check in being 3pm. I think the excuse was that cleaners were busy preparing rooms for new arrivals but in effect we were new arrivals but this does not seem to be understood. When we got to our room, 207, we knew immediately that we could not stay due to the dirt, broken lights, ancient furniture, broken window blind, and bathroom lights hanging out of their sockets so insisted on being moved or we would have to leave the resort.
They were still trying to sell us timeshare so had another chance to show that the mishaps previousy encountered were blips and everything would be fine from now on.
We have been assured by so many different people that we would be looked after and we would notice an improvement so were shown another room, not yet empty and when we said it was good, were told we could move out of 207 at 11am and be in the new room within the hour.
We packed our bags and went out for the day and when we returned at about 4pm were told the new room still wasn't ready. Can you imagine just how angry I was at that point? Multiply that by 50 and you will be getting close. Seems the occupiers did not follow the 11am check out rule and nobody bothered to chase them up so in the end we did not get in until about 6pm.
There were so many chances during our time there for staff to make amends and prove that they could look after us the way we hoped and expected but every time they messed up so the decision was easy for us not to invest. Sadly it also convinced us that we will not return to Windjammer again.
The shuttle bus system also proved to be a real nuisance this time as one of the roads was being repaired for most of our time there so no matter whether we were first in the queue or last, the shuttle went first to the top villas and we always seemed to be last so some days we were in the bus for over 20 minutes and went round and round dropping off and picking up others, so the system needs a radical overhaul. The 15 minute wait time also became stretched a few times and is just not acceptable.
New resorts now beckon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort & Spa in Saint Lucia, offers an unforgettable Caribbean vacation for families, honeymooners and couples. This exotic 60-acre full service resort is a panorama of picturesque, spacious and secluded hillside villas. With breathtaking views of the cobalt waters of the Caribbean Sea, this Mediterranean village resort is alive with the sights and sounds of beautiful Saint Lucia. Absorb the stunning beauty of nature at the Windjammer Landing. From dining on tropical fruits at sunrise to enjoying a refreshing cruise at sunset and only your choice of what to do in between. Richly appointed with the warmth of wood and an exotic blend of tropical furnishings, your spacious villa sets the mood for complete relaxation and truly your greatest escape. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Destinology, Booking.com, Travelbag, Southall Travel, West Indies, Hotels.com, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, TravelUp, Holiday Gems, Expedia, Priceline, 5viajes2012 S.L., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Hotel Castries
- Windjammer Landing Hotel Beach
- Windjammer St Lucia
- Windjammer Landing Resort Beach
- Windjammer Landing St Lucia
- St Lucia Windjammer
- Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort St. Lucia/Castries