“Long Long trip but boy was it worth it”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
manchester
“Long Long trip but boy was it worth it”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Eventually arrived and shown to our room which we had asked to be near the reception
area. Beautiful room with a pool/beach view.Usually after such a long trip I find fault with
something or nothing but I could not fault it. Our room was in the Hibiscus Ocean front
Suites.The resort was excellently laid out with 5 restaurants , some only for dining up until
6pm. Booking was advised. The food was good so all inclusive is a option but we like dining
out. However the resort is a little isolated so we had to walk a good 25-30 mins to the main
road to catch a mini bus into Rodney Bay. Plenty of restaurants here and we especially liked
The Buzz and Delirius.

We could not fault the Windjammer , we could be picky on minor problems but we did over
hear some room complaints at reception. Not all the rooms and suites etc might be as
modern as the Hibiscus suites.

Please note , the resort is very steep and shuttle buses take you to your rooms ( we didnt need it )

We will be back

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (776)
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Windjammer Landing is like no resort we have ever stayed at. We were there for 8 days it was my Mom, her boyfirend, my Sister, myself, and my boyfirend.
ROOMS: Between the 5 of us we had booked 3 of their basic ocean view rooms. Well basic it was not! These rooms were beutiful I was in 105A and would recommend requesting that suite. It had a private roof top patio it was more than I have ever had in a room! With great views of the ocean from the room and the roof and it was a manageable walk up and down the hill everyday and nice to get a little work out! A pipe burst in my Sister's room and since it was connected to ours they upgraded the three of us to a two bedroom Villa - WOW our own pool at the top of the hill - it was incredible. The shuttle service was no hassel at all and we never waited more than 5 mins.
SERVICE: Check in was a littel slow and not a lot of information was given. As our luggage was packed into the shuttle I asked the gentleman how this was to work with the food and drink and he informed us that we were there all inclusive so all we had to do was sign our room number and everything would be taken care of at check out. No bracelets I asked? He said he did not want us to feel any different form the rest of the guests. So away we went. The first night we went to Papa Don's and walked in and had a seat. The waitress promptly came over asked if we had a reservation which we did not and told us we needed one for every restaurant at the resort and she would accomidate us this once. It would have been nice to have that explained to us at check in. The staff are friendly enough but no one seems to be in a great hurry so each meal was a little longer than planned especially waiting to sign your bill at the end of each meal or even when you order a water or pop at the bar can become a little tedious.
FOOD: AMAZING!!!! I have never ate so much on vacation before. Breakfast was always perfect and they changed it up a little every day so we were never sick of it. Lunch the menu at Jammers can get a little repetative and Embers is basically the same menu with a few variaions but still really great food. We ate at Papa Don's twice, Upper deck once, and Dragon Fly once, with one meal being the Caribbean buffet (I could have skipped that) and they had a special Thanksgiving dinner for the American holiday. Dragon Fly was unreal and I wish we would have gone there our first night so we would have known to go back a second time!
ACTIVITIES: We went sailing twice and tubing once and it was so much fun and so nice that it is included in your package! My boyfirend took a cab to where the cruise ships dock and said it was nothing special. He and I also went to Rodney Bay - I'm not sure if we just got dropped off in a bad location but we couldn't find the Bay and the locals were more than intimidating so we got out of there as quick as possible.
I read some reviews that complained about the trip from the airport to the resort but it was nothing for us. I have extreme motion sickness and the road was well paved and didn't bother me at all and although we didn't time it, it certainly did not feel like 90 mins.
The only problem we had was at checkout we had a bill for $200. Apparently when they said just sign your room number and the rest will be taken care of they forgot to mention that there is a 15$ charge for every room service you have. Once we were at the top of the hill we ordered it quite a bit seeing as we had the private pool and saw no need to make our way down for lunch or afternoon happy hour. I called the night manager who said he would have to call the food manager. The gentleman at checkout said he did not have the authority to do anything about it and the manager had left and there was not a replacement on site yet. I had to make a bit of a scean for him to call the operator who called the manager but by the time we had finsihed breakfast the charge had been taken off our account. Again something that should have been mentioned at check in. But it all worked out in the end. I would recommend this resort to families couples and singles it was an amazing time and I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband and I spent a fantastic week at the Windjammer hotel in St Lucia. Food was terrific, service excellent but the best? our own private plunge pool! Albeit up a little bit of a hill(said tongue in cheek) but well worth the 5 minute puff up the hillside to come home to our own private casista (read apartment here). Nothing like spending some private time lounging by your own mini pool!
Great value, nice little beach in a bay and very nice resort. Would we go again? Yes in a heartbeat.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at Windjammer for 14 nights between 6-20th November. We had a premium ocean view room on the all inclusive package. We are both in our late 20s / early 30s. Overall we had a really enjoyable and relaxing holiday. There are many good points to make about Windjammer such as:

- Very high quality food and drink selection.
- The all inclusive package is very good value for money (I would highly recommend it if you plan to mostly eat in the restaurants as we did).
- Stunningly beautiful location and beach.
- Excellent water sports programme and range of activities.

However there were just a few niggles that prevent me from awarding five stars to Windjammer:

- Variable quality of service. At times we had to wait a long time for service in the restaurants. You just got the feeling sometimes that staff would serve you when they were ready rather than anticipating when you'd need attention. A particularly bad example was one night in Dragonfly when we waited about 25 minutes for our plates to be cleared after our main course and to be offered dessert. All the staff just seem to have disappeared - at 9pm! We got bored and frustrated and had to get up to find someone to give us our bill. Other guests we met agreed that the service could be a real problem at times. I must admit this was surprising as reviews we had read prior to travelling suggested service was a real plus point. It was a real shame as the food was consistently very high quality.

- Disappointing bed. Windjammer's website says that premium ocean view rooms come with four poster beds. What we actually got was two singles joined together. Every time I rolled over I sunk down into the "gap" between the two beds which was rather irritating.

- Slightly tired room (44A for the record). Our room had a lovely view of the ocean but we felt it was beginning to show its age. For example, the roof started leaking significant quantities of rain water on our third to last night which we reported but hadn't been attended to by the time we left (had to use towels to soak it up). The toilet was rather temperamental throughout and flooded our bathroom and hall on our last night which was upsetting at the time as some of my girlfriend's clothes got wet and will need dry cleaning. The TV in the room was probably 15+ years old with poor reception a broken remote control. There was also nowhere to sit down to eat in our room (despite it being a "premium" room) and when we arrived there was only a solitary chair and tiny table on our large balcony (admittedly this was addressed by the hotel who provided another small table and a sun lounger). We also asked for additional coat hangers for our cupboard on our second day which never arrived.

- We generally didn't order the shuttle service as we weren't too far up the hill but when we asked for it to take our bags on the last day it hadn't arrived after some 45 minutes despite a chasing phone call from us. We ended up having to wheel our bags down the hill to make our check out time.

The above comments shouldn't be taken too negatively as they by no means spoilt what was a great and memorable holiday. Compared to some of the other hotels on St Lucia we saw whilst on excursions around the island, Windjammer has to be one of the best. The all inclusive package also felt like good value for money. However, if they could sort out some of these "little" niggles that collectively add up, it really would be truly legendary place.

1 Thank greeb456
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 26 November 2011

My fiance and I traveled to St. Lucia and decided to stay at the Windjammer. All i can say is WOW!!! If you want to stay in a place that looks like a postcard of a tropical island, then stay at the Windjammer. We stayed in Villa 214 and i damn near passed out when i opened the curtains on our first morning. The view from our villa (and I'm sure everyone else's too) is like nothing else that I have ever seen. We saw about 4 rainbows and 4 spectacular sunsets on our week long stay from our balcony. We had a hot tub on our porch instead of a plunge pool but it would have been nicer if it heated up rather than just bubbling air temperature water. Sunsets were spectacular our view was extremely relaxing. Beach was comfortable and there were multiple places to get drinks from while sunning yourself.

The water sports were a lot of fun. We did 2 of the snorkeling trips and really got to take advantage of our underwater camera. We took a 2 person kayak out into the ocean and took a banana boat ride as well. I got the opportunity to go water skiing and picked it up really quickly. The boat operators were very friendly and informative anytime they were around.

The staff there really makes you feel special. We got to know the drivers of the shuttle that take you to and from your room. Andy was kind enough to help us bring our luggage inside and showed us around the villa and really made us feel at home. Helen from the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful and my buddy John greeted me with a big smile and hello every time we encountered him. Borden from activities got me to play cricket on the beach even though I didn't have the first clue how to play the game.
If I had to say one thing that we wished we hadn't signed up for was the "timeshare talk". The women from the sales department were very nice and accommodating but didn't want to take no for an answer. My fiance and I don't like to be rude, so we agreed multiple times to "coming back to talk with them again" but it ended up making us avoid the entire area of the lobby where they were stationed so we didn't have to see them again. It was nice getting $100 off our bill for listening to them talk but be prepared to schedule multiple "appointments" to go back and see them. If we ever get a chance to come back, we would definitely decline future sales pitches.

Food was great, we chose all inclusive for 4 out of our 7 days due to the fact that we left the resort for many excursions during the beginning and end of our trip. We ate at Papa Don's on a few occasions and the food was very tasty, including the pizza's. Embers had great lunch and kept our bellies full on the days we were on the beach. Jammer's was also good and had nice views of the beach. Be sure to find out what restaurants are open what days because some of them close on certain days for buffets. Jammer's is always open so it turned into our fallback on a lot of the days.

We booked multiple excursions while at the WIndjammer but purchased some from our resort and some from a wonderful tour company called Serenity Tours. Prices were fairly comparable but Serenity Tours really made our excursions extra special. Serenity's drivers were more on time when they picked us up versus the "island time" that the resorts drivers were on for their excursions. We highly recommend the "conveniently late" (through the resort) boat tour that brings you to the Piton Peaks and cocoa plantation and drive in volcano.
Horseback riding (through the resort) was also a lot of fun and the authentic Creole lunch you get was amazing. We booked ziplining and private VIP transport through Serenity and highly recommend using them as much as possible.

In the end, if you decide to go to St. Lucia, Windjammer is definitely were you want to stay. Even our various drivers and other couples that we met said Windjammer is the only place to be.

Room Tip: Our villa 214 had a spectacular view and you need a shuttle to get to most of the rooms. The shuttle...
Knaresborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2011

On arrival we were upgraded from an Ocean View room to a 1 bed villa which was a good start to our holiday! The villa was spacious with stunning views to the caribbean from the large sun terrace, watching the sun set each day was worth the trip on its own.

We spent 9 nights on an all inclusive basis which proved the right choice for us. All 4 main restaurants are of a very high standard and the cocktail list is never ending.

The beach is a good size, superbly maintained and swimming is very safe (so long as you stay within the marked areas). Unlike many other resorts there are no unwanted hawkers working the beach which really helps the relaxing atmosphere. There's always plenty to do if you want to try the watersports on offer and each day the staff make a real effort to have a full set of activities to try (not just watersports).

For the price we paid and from what I saw of the other places to stay on the island I can't think of a better all-round resort in St Lucia, you could easily pay much more and only find marginal differences in quality. On our last day we took a trip to Rodney Bay and most of the hotels there looked far less welcoming, it made me certain we'd made the right choice with Windjammer.

Excursions are on the expensive side but thats typical of St Lucia. I recommend the volcano/mud baths, especially after hiking up Gross Piton (which was worth the effort but hot work!)

My partner used the Spa and was very impressed. The swimming pools are well maintained and clean, our favourite was the one by Papa Don's - always quiet and with stunning views.

Keep up the good work Windjammer!

Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Wow! What a place to spend our 16th wedding anniversary. The views are stunning! We stayed in a studio in the Habiscus Suites. It was beautiful, from the tile in the bathroom to the most wonderful view from our balcony. We were very close to the pools and beach and lobby! The staff was always friendly and helpful, never making us feel like a bother.The manager Mark and others were very attentive and accomodating. It was the best experience we have had in the carribean! If you want quiet you can have it. If you want to have activities they are there! Truly the best and most wonderful sunsets and clear warm waters you can imagine. We were very impressed with the houskeeping staff-Joelle -took such care of our room! She went above and beyond! Five star service! Thanks so much to Mark , Richard, Joelle and Kirby for making this a most memorable time!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!