“Fantastic time had by all”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
“Fantastic time had by all”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

Felt compelled to write a review after reading the last few negative ones! I feel as though I stayed somewhere completely different?!?!
We had a helicopter transfer and upon arriving at the hotel we were met by a friendly reception staff, a rum punch and a short wait before we were taken to No1 villa by a friendly shuttle driver.
We had a huge deck and the villa very clean and similar layout to one we stayed in La Manga, Spain.
To sit and watch the sun go down each night on our balcOny was amazing.
We paid for room only so we picked and chose when to eat at the resort and at Rodney Bay - a perfect blend! We befriended a great taxi driver,martinus, who took us to Marigot Bay and Rodney Bay. The tour organisers at the desk were great and zip-wiring, horse-back riding (inc in the sea), chartered 4 hr boat trip were well organised! My husband and son used the tennis courts and kayaks - my daughter and I - the spa! (special thanks to the hilarious Pamela for sorting my knotty shoulders!)
We did the Villa show round, no pressure and maybe would've signed up if it could be more flexible with Sch hol dates rather than a set week. Due to the repeat visitors there is a great family atmosphere and found all staff and islanders very friendly!
Rodney Bay restaurant recommended by a taxi driver from Windjammer was Big Chef - couldn't stay away - sublime food. Others Spinnakers and Memories of Hong Kong were also enjoyable.
The whole family enjoyed the holiday - my husband found running to the top of the resort more satisfying than a gym workout - I personally enjoyed the shuttle rides back and occasionally didn't shout my villa number out so I got a ride to the top and back (think very safe roller coaster!!)
My only negative comment would be the Mosquitos - I wasn't fully prepared and left a light on and no repellent the first night and got lots of bites. As villa 1 is not fully enclosed and on the perimeter and lit at night we had to ensure that we sprayed the bedrooms am and pm & kept covered in repellent. Housekeeping were great at replacing the spray and our maid was lovely. That issue is eadily remedied for the future. Other than that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to book again.

• Stayed April 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay. Not a good start. We arrived to be told hey you have twin beds. We were on a romantic get away. Weird and the problem was they new we were a married couple. Very poor on their part. Internet advertisements on the room were not anything what were advertised. To the managers of the resort first appearance for a tourist has to be a ten not a 2 please work on that. On the up side we really enjoyed the resort otherwise The staff were pleasant and helpful. Restaurant food was good bar staff were exceptional. Beach was great We attended a wedding in the upper gardens and I must say wedding planners were awesome. They made our stay perfectly beautiful. Every detail a number ten on their part the shuddle drivers were also a ten. Would I come back. Maybe.

Stayed March 2012
Lindenhurst
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I was so excited to go to St. Lucia but unfortunetly the hotel made my experience very disappointing. We stayed at this resort for a full week. I have never ever been treated so badly at a hotel. It took AN HOUR AND HALF to check-in, after check-in time which is unheard of. Instead of telling us that our room was not ready,"why don't you go to the beach or pool and we will call you when it is ready" we were told that it will take ten minutes. Everytime we asked they said the same thing "it will be ready in ten minutes".

While we were waiting we asked for a map of the hotel and we were told you can't get a map until you get the key. We were also supposed to be given an Ambassador. An ambassador at this resort helps you with anything you need help with and also gives you all the information about the island as well as about the resort. Funny we never got one.

Almost everytime I went to the front desk I was ignored and it took 5 minutes to get the staff's attention. It was ridiculous. My friends and I inquired about ziplining and asked for the number to the closer ziplining place and we were told we don't have the number. We asked them if they could find it but they said no. We were not given any information about the ziplining place so we took a taxi there and found out it was Easter Monday and that the ziplining place was closed. They could have at least told us places are closed the day after Easter. In the USA things are not closed on Monday the day after Easter. This could have been eliminated if they had went online and called the place for us. But instead we took a taxi to the place and then found out it was closed. We were really disappointed so we just decided to pay more money to go to the further ziplining place. It cost us 100 taxi ride just to go to the other ziplining place.

We asked to see a manager and everyday they told us he is not here right now. I think because we asked nicely they thought it was not necessary for us to speak to a manager. Finally the 3rd day I asked another employee, whose name was Darrell, and he made sure we spoke to the manager. When we finally spoke to the manager, he basically told us that there is nothing he can do and he doesn't need to do anything for us.

Resort is nice but the beach is very small and dirty.

If I ever go back to St. Lucia I would stay in Rodney Bay. Taxi's are very expensive even if you are going 5 miles away.

Darrell and Essie are the nicest people at this resort. So after reading my review if you choose to stay here speak to Darrell and Essie.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
21 Thank Sonya K
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

For something claiming to be a 4* hotel, in my opinion struggles to make 2*s due to maintenance and staff issues in certain areas which could be easily fixed by management.

We booked a One Bedroom Villa for 10-days for a stay at the end of March/begin April to celebrate a 50th birthday on the All Inclusive option.

After reading some reviews in February on Trip Advisor, I contacted our travel agent, and said we were concerned with some of the recent reviews, about the villas being dated, and they requested a more modern room. I also followed this up with a direct e-mail to reservations and got a reply that my request was noted and they would see what they could do.

On arrival, when given the room key, I asked if it was a more modern room, and was assured that it was. Imagine my surprise when we arrived at our room, 135, to find it to say the least very outdated, ants over the work surfaces and the air conditioning unit in bedroom only blew out warm air and was considerably noisy. We immediately rang down and asked to be moved to a different room, we were promised that the duty manager would be in contact in 10-15 minutes, eventually 2-calls and 30-minutes later the Duty Manager arrived, and we were shown room 124. While the décor was better, plain whites, and more subtle tones modern air conditioning unit, and no ants across the work surfaces, it still was not ideal. We asked if there were alternatives, and were told no. When I explained that the rooms were nothing like the ones on their website, I got no response. We reluctantly accept the room, and the duty manager collected our luggage from room 135 and moved it to 124.

Some of the issues with the room are/were:-
1. Half the bulbs were not working and we had to chase maintenance to replace them
2. The floor was covered in scuff marks from when the furniture had been moved around, and marks on the kitchen floor where the cooker had been pulled out
3. The side of the fridge had rusty marks down the side
4. Marks splashed on the ceiling
5. Exposed wiring outside to air conditioning unit
6. The sofa in the room had seen better days, and the covers on the arm were badly in need of repair.
7. There was meant to be a welcome pack, but this never materialised, despite chasing
8. There was meant to be bug spray available in the room, but it took a lot of chasing and 3-days before it arrived

The day of the birthday, the bed was made up with flowers, which was a nice touch.

Out of interest we took the tour of the Time Share properties, and these were more modern, and reflected the pictures of the Villas on the webpage but I noticed that the cupboard doors were not on straight with a 1-2 cm difference at the bottom than at the top. Outside on the patio, the walls in some parts were black from rain/overflow.

The buffet breakfast was OK, the highlight being the softly poached eggs done to order. The choice of fruit each morning was limited, but the pineapple, grapefruit and bananas were sweet and fresh, apart from 1-day when the bananas looked like they had been kept in the fridge overnight and gone black. The pastries were always past their best even when the Dragonfly opened at 07:30.

As I like my coffee strong, I requested an Espresso on the first morning only to be told that the machine was broken, this was repeated for several days. When I raised this with Samantha in guest services, she seemed surprised and spoke to the restaurant manager and then reported back that it wasn’t broken, and I should ask again in the morning. The response I got the next day was simply rude and it is quite clear that the message had not been conveyed to the staff, but after some argument I did get my Espresso after about a 15-minute wait. The following day the machine was allegedly broken again so I gave up asking.

Lunch time at Embers and Jammers was always busy, and you had to wait for a seat. A couple of days running we were given the same table, which had a very loose top, which made it unstable, and difficult to eat off. Only after mentioning it to the restaurant manager, did they acknowledge this, and the next day the table had either been replaced or fixed. On the last day, when the accommodation was filling up for Easter, Jammers offered a buffet at lunchtime, however we were only told this after our lunch had been delivered.

In the evening, we tried all the different restaurants none of which were special, and the supposed dress code certainly was never enforced:-

Papa Don’s is more Mediterranean than Italian, and some of the starters were at best badly presented. The Breaded Mozzarella with Tomato Sauce looked like 2-fish fingers marked as a cross in soup. The Bruschetta Trio had scoops of cream cheese and olive paste on 2 of the 3 pieces of toast neither proving a pleasant taste in the mouth. The Lamb Provençale and Chicken Souvlaki were pleasant but slopped on the plate. The pizza without extra cheese, was covered in cheese, and therefore slightly sickly when hot, and a couple of the pasta specials were passible.

The Upper Deck certainly isn’t the fine dining experience either, and we had issues on the 2-occassions there as well. The first time we were situated on the lower part, and part way through the meal there was a downpour, but none of the staff came to help us or the other customers to move the tables away from the rain. On the other occasion people around us were given their starters or mains before us even though they arrived before us. When the starters did arrive they were cold, so we had to send them back, luke warm chicken is not healthy. Steaks cooked medium rare will either come out blue or well done, and while I would normally send back the well done steak, we had already waited 75-minutes between starter and main course already, as they had 2-large parties in, 9 and 14 people respectively, and they for some reason were taking priority over us.

The evening meal at the Dragonfly was OK, but had a very limited menu, so the rest of the time we ate at Jammers.

Overall the menus and food offering is extremely limited, and what we noticed, especially at Papa Don’s was that the Specials of The Day, came from standard menu items at Jammers or the Upper Deck.

As for the drinks, the red wine was not kept well, and served too warm, personally I found the Chianti preferable to the other wines. While a range of cocktails were offered they had little or no alcohol in them, Speaking with a couple of the bar staff who got to know us, and were really friendly, they said it was policy to put part measures in the drinks. On asking we did get extra/full shots so we could enjoy the taste.

On the plus side, and there were some, the Water sports team were excellent, friendly, and when going snorkelling did their best to make sure that you saw the as much variety of sea life as possible. On the skiing and water boarding they were helpful and patient and only increasing the speed of the boat pulling you as you got more comfortable.

The swimming pools were clean, and there was always enough beds available. The pool by Papa Dons did not have a drinks service, and towels were only available from the beach area. Both of these could be easily addressed by the staff at the Spa.

As we walked down to breakfast each morning, the gardeners were friendly and prepared to answer our questions about the local flora and forna.

We also took the Jammers Tours sail tour down to Sourfriere, which was well organised and we both thoroughly enjoyed

Room Tip: Don't go for the 1-bed villas
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
16 Thank ShaunQ
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012 via mobile

Hotel itself is very nice and located good place with short distance to Rodney Bay and Castries.
Hotel facilities are awesome and the beach is excellent. There are lot to do for family's and child's in the hotel like very nice playground and water tools.
The service in hotel is extremely poor, one of the worst ever seen. This is sad because otherwise hotel is nice.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Pohjanmaan_Patu
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Recently stayed here with my family. Faboulous beach, and some of the staff are extremely helpful. The villas are also qute nice, rustic but offering superb views over the Caribbean sunset. However our trip was definitely affected by the extremely poor quality of the food in all restraunts, particularly Jammers. The menus dont seem to have been updated for ages and the breakfast buffet is one of the poorest I have seen for a long time. On top of the the wait staff were, with only, one or two exceptions, surly, unhelpful, and in some cases down right rude. Their ability to completely ignore is remarkable. I accept that the pace is nthe caribbean is somewhat more relaxed, but there is no excuse for rude and dis-interested staff. I would have to say the bar staff were little better, conspiring to leave you standing there for an age while they clean glasses, chat to each other, or just stand around looking moody. One final point, the shuttle service to and from the villas is erratic so popping back to your room is not really an option unless you're prepared to spend up to an hour doing it. If going make sure to request accomodation, closer to the main reception area. On a positive note, the hotel assigns ambasassadors to each guest and ours couldnt have been more helpful. On the negative side, I was pestered for most of the stay by their attempts to sell me a 50yr timeshare. In summary the location is spectular, on one of the nicest beaches in St. Lucia, but the really appalling food and attitude of alot of the wait and bar staff, left me disappointed. Windjammer needs to freshen itself up, give a serious makeover to its food menus and hire staff who actually enjoy dealing with people.

Room Tip: Request accomodation close to the main building.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank caller2
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I like the hotel and the beach but the service was bad, it was like they did not want us there.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank Toni_tls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,056 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!