“Absolutely Amazing Resort”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Pembroke, Massachusetts
“Absolutely Amazing Resort”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We just got back from spending a Week at Windjammer Landing. This Resort , it's location and everything about it was just perfect. My Wife and I enjoyed it so much that we actually bought a timeshare. The Staff made you feel as if you were their extended Family. The Beach is spread out and finding a Lounge Chair or a Hut for some cover from the Sun was never a problem. The Restaurants and Food were top notch. We are looking forward to visiting St. Lucia and Windjammer Landing for many more relaxing Vacations.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kfin_12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed in the WL resort for one week in May. I had a very difficult time rtying to decide where to stay as none of the resorts seemed to tick all the boxes. Decided after much deliberation on this resort. I had been worried about the long transfer and the fact that it sort of isolated, and also that it might have been overun with children being a family friendly resort and us looking for more of a couples only type place. However the many advantages outweighed any concerns and by the end of the stay I was very happy with our choice.

We had booked a premium ocean view room. We were allocated room 142A on arrival. I was very very happy with it. It was spacious, comfortable, well decorated with a beautiful four poster bed, stunning sea views, great air con and a lovely roof top terrace. Perfect for a couple on a romantic holiday. We used the shuttle sometimes but it was walkable up and down to the lobby/beach/main pool etc.
The grounds of the resort are immaculate with foliage, flowers and stunning views everywhere. I loved walking around it as it was quiet and you felt that you were in a mediterrean village.
Our room was also well located just a few steps from the island pool, jacuzzi and Papa Dons restaurant. We spent a lot of our time at this pool as it was quiet and you had the great views across st. lucia, the resort and the sea from here.
The beach was as good as you are probably going to get in St. Lucia which I knew was not famed for its long sandy beaches. The beach was small in that it doesnt have miles and miles of sand but not tiny, it had lovely sand, you were not bothered by vendors on it, and you could always find a quiet spot to sunbathe, sunbeds, shade, umbrellas etc. I prefer to swim in pools so the small area for swimming didnt bother me. The main pool is just off the beach anyway.
One of the main reasons for choosing the resort was the choice of eating places on offer. Many of the other resorts only had 2 places to eat or buffets on most nights and staying for 7 days, I didnt want to eat in the same place all the time. This proved to be one of the reasons WL was such as good choice, We didnt have to leave the resort yet felt like we were eating in different places all the time. Yes, I was a bit surprised that many of the places are based around the same area but it makes sense I supose as most people on holiday want to eat near the beach, ocean, views etc. I found that there was quite a variety on the menus between the different places. We went AI and the food was very good everywhere. The portions were big everywhere also! Ate in Upper Deck twice and had surf and turf which was delicious. Ate in Papa Dons twice and also very tasty. Dragonfly had the most different menu and I very much enjoyed it. Also ate in Jammers bar for lunch and dinner. The salads and mahi mahi in the bar were lovely and fresh and light. Ate one lunchtime in Embers to but found the portions too big for lunch for me. If I had stayed for 2 weeks I would not have been tired of the menus on offer in this resort. Breakfast every morning in Dragonfly on the terrace was something I would never get tired of. I was also very surprised and happy that they had an a la carte menu as well as the buffet.Not being a huge eater I prefered to order from the menu most mornings. There was a huge choice to accommodate everyones breakfast tastes from around the world. The waffles and fresh fruit were the best. There was only one restriction on AI and that was bottles of wine were excluded (but not glasses) so I really thought this was very good. They had a very extensive and delicious cocktail menu.
The service everywhere was very good, no issues at all. Security very present on the resort also. Housekeeping service was excellent. Staff friendly everywhere also.
We did a tour booked through the hotel. Researched elsewhere the hotel was cheaper.
The hotel had a mixed clientele which is what I like. Guests were not from one particular country, mix of ages, mix of groups, families, couples young and old.
The only minuses were that I wished there had been more people in the bar later at night, it was not a late night spot but thats not the fault of the hotel. and while I enjoyed the different entertainment every night (jazz, steel band, a modern band etc) I feel like I'm 90 here when I say that sometimes it was too loud! One night in upper deck we couldnt hear each other across the table! very minor point.
We went into Rodney Bay one night and I saw some of the other places I had been considering as they were set in the RB area and normally I like to get out and about in the evenings beyond the hotel. However, they were not a patch on WL. They looked run down, not the type of luxury holiday I was looking for after travelling for the most of a day to St. Lucia. I was not a fan of the RB area either and was quite happy to stay in the resort for the rest of our evenings. The WL to me presents a luxury, relaxing, resort stay at a good price, for those who do not have a small fortune to spend on some of the really really high end resorts on the island. I saw some negative reviews before leaving and was a bit concerned but we really had no complaints, only praise.
Didnt want to leave and if we are ever in St. Lucia again we would definately choose to stay here again.

15 Thank DeniMu
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Thank you for the terrific and thorough review! You've provided some great information for future travelers. I'm glad you didn't want to leave and we look forward to a future visit!

Warm regards,

mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This resort is getting old and needs updating, which is in progress. The food, spa, evening entertainment, and water sports were excellent. The resort is quiet (except for the croaking frogs at night) with a private beach. The staff was friendly. Since the villas are on a cliff overlooking the water, the walk back and forth can be daunting; it's good exercise if you choose not to use the shuttles that run every 15 minutes. However, the view is amazing! The resort is located close to Castries airport and Rodney Bay.

Room Tip: ocean view is a must
2 Thank ProfDallas
Thank you for your review! We are indeed working on some updates and renovations to the property (although the frogs are staying!) We hope you'll return to see our enhancements and additions!

Warm regards,
mozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We arrived at Windjammer on May 27th, for a week stay using our RCI (timeshare) points. I guess the best way to describe this place is it has a nice beachy, relaxed feel to it, if you are looking for a Ritz Carlton experience, this place is not for you, but I could definitely see coming back here to drink some Pitons by the beach bar and enjoy the views with my friends.

Room - Our villa, 412, had an amazing view, right in the middle of the mountain with an infinity pool. It was not the open villa; we were able to close doors leading out to the patio/balconies so when some rain did come, we didn’t have a problem with anything getting wet like I had seen about some of the open villas. I could have spent everyday just relaxing there, watching the sunset and boats go by. Our unit was a well kept, two bedroom (king bed/two singles which was great with teenagers) each with its own bathroom, full kitchen, laundry room and living room area. Housekeeping was really great, everything was kept clean, and they even did our dishes! We had some visitors in the form of birds and small lizards; they got inside a few times, which was pretty funny.

Activities/Beach area: Each day they had various activities to do – snorkeling etc. I think we came at the tail end of the busy season, at the bar at night there were maybe 10-15 people each night, we had our pick of chairs on the beach, which I like as I’m not a fan of crowds. Beach area is nice, small area for swimming due to sea urchins, dark blue water, but you can still see the bottom, my family snorkeled at the beach in between the Pitons, and saw many different kinds of fish,etc and would recommend finding a boat tour to do just that.

Staff: Very helpful, shuttles were very prompt, proactive as well – when our taxi to go to the airport was late, one of the managers noticed we were waiting a bit in the lobby and promptly called our taxi service to get an update on when they would be arriving. Staff in restaurant was attentive and only had to wait long once for a meal at the beach restaurant.

Food: We opted not to do all inclusive, which worked well for us as we had a full kitchen, and had our taxi driver stop at the supermarket for us on our way in. $150 per person per day seems steep to me for all inclusive for 4 people. We ate at all the restaurants; dinner was on the expensive side for what you would get in the higher end restaurants for that price in the US, small portions on the appetizers. Drinks were ok, we stuck to Piton beer most of the time, but you have to try the spiced rum they make (not the Chairman’s Reserve) on the rocks, we found some bottles in the market with the spices inside to make our own at home.

Tours: We did tours with Cosol (day long tour) and Zip lining with Tree Top Adventure tours reviews you can see on Trip advisor which were fun. Be advised that when you pre pay for a tour, its customary to tip the guides (at rainforest, volcano) which is an additional cost and there are people EVERYWHERE you stop selling things… got on my nerves by the end of the week as it was a constant when you are away from the resort.

Towns/Local area: Towns we visited (Castries/Soufriere), they are NOT tourist centered towns, no large shopping areas expect for the local market which I was not a fan of, I don’t like constantly being approached to buy things. Driving is an experience, all the roads are narrow and twist and turn, up and down the mountain. I needed to take Dramamine for the taxi ride (hour +) to the airport, it’s like a roller coaster! I would recommend doing water taxis whenever you can, such a great view of the island from the water!

Timeshare Pitch - we were approached but declined, they were polite, and had no issue, since we have timeshare with RCI we never do that at any resort, its never worth whatever they give you unless you are serious about buying, as they take up hours of your vacation.

Overall really enjoyed the resort, special thanks to our shuttle drivers who had to keep taking us up and down that big hill constantly, I can imagine that must be a tedious job but they were always so upbeat!

Room Tip: villas with the infinity pool were so neat, loved loved 412! If you don't want to have to take t...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Sjm51593
Leigh-on-Sea, Essex
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at this resort from 13th to 27th May. We swapped our Hilton Grand Vacation points through RCI, which we have done successfully many times before. We were bitterly disappointed with our villa, 152 known as Island style. The scars of neglect were evident in every room. The fridge and oven were rusty, the floors were in desperate need of re-painting, and the TV was a model I haven't seen for many years, housed in an ancient wicker unit that needed a jolly good clean. The bathroom, kitchen/lounge were open to the elements which meant that I was bitten continually, despite the lotions and potions I rubbed in. I had to wash everything in the kitchen before I used it because of all the tiny ants. Only the bedroom was air-conditioned. The villa is in need of urgent refurbishment. The villa owners that we met told us that the resort was less than a third full but when we asked the appropriate senior management if we could move to something more acceptable, we were told that they had fulfilled their obligation to give us a one-bedroom villa.It's as if they had been marinaded in indifference. In their 'welcome' directory in the villa, it states "Guests at Windjammer Landing can expect the finest in spacious private suites", this is signed by Tanise Gills. They also state "At WL we are always looking for new ways to enhance your stay. It is our responsibility to ensure that you enjoy your vacation to the fullest. We look forward to serving you". Words fail me. The resort is beautiful and the rest of the staff is excellent. The food in all the restaurants was top class.

Room Tip: Refuse to go in an Island style villa
Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rosyglow
Washington, DC
Reviewed 3 June 2012

My husband and I stayed in a one-bedroom villa with our two-year-old, and we all had a wonderful time. With a toddler, it made all the difference to have a fully-equipped kitchen to prepare some meals and a separate living room we could hang out in without disturbing our daughter while she slept in the bedroom. There's a market on the property with everything from cereal and boxed macaroni and cheese to frozen duck breasts and steaks. It's very convenient, but more expensive than at the supermarket nearby. Our taxi from the airport let us stop off at the supermarket on the way to the resort for no extra charge, so we stocked up on staples there, but it's nice to know the market was there on property if we needed it. The rooms were very nice, but by far the highlight was the private terrace with incredible views. It was very large, big enough for a full dining set and two lounge chairs with plenty of room left for our daughter to run around. There were some semi-aggressive birds who came around whenever we had a meal out there, but we actually enjoyed their company. The only downside about the villa was we got a number of mosquitos inside, but it wasn't too bad.

The rest of the resort was picturesque with a nice Caribbean feel. There are two regular pools, two kids' pools (which our daughter loved, but beware the inaccurate depth markers- one pool was labeled 1 ft deep, but it was clearly deeper, as our daughter couldn't stand up in it), and a jacuzzi, and we liked that they were all well landscaped with tropical flowers and plants. The beach was nice and generally uncrowded when we were there. The water was warm and clear, everything we had hoped. We had to take a shuttle to and from our villa, but we didn't mind as it usually came very quickly whenever we called. I'm sure you could stay lower down on the hill and just walk, but for us, it was worth the better view to be higher up and use the shuttle. There are various activities put on by the resort every day. We especially enjoyed the manager's cocktail party, complete with music and dancers, and the show put on by fire eaters. The service was generally very good and friendly, with a few small exceptions in some of the restaurants. Most of the staff was great, though. The food was average; you are definitely paying for the convenience of eating on the property. We had a few very good dishes and a few mediocre ones at the various restaurants. We were approached several times about attending the time share presentation, but they backed off immediately when we said we weren't interested.

You'll need to take taxis or rent a car to get anywhere outside the resort. We enjoyed the sights at Soufriere, Castries market, and Reduit beach. The hotel does offer tours, but we found it was cheaper to book a private taxi tour (we used the company More Than a Cab for both our tour and airport transfers, and we loved them) and liked that we could go at our own pace. The one thing the hotel tour offered that the taxi couldn't was part of the tour on a boat, so that may be worthwhile for some. The resort also offered free daily snorkeling trips.

Overall, we were very happy with the resort, and would definitely return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Reilly_Peanut
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 June 2012

Don't believe the pictures. If there is one thing I have learned from our trip to St Lucia it is they excel at advertisements. I was so disappointed when we pulled up to the lobby after traveling all day. This is where we would spend our next 7 days. The pool was a joke, old, cheap chairs and an average beach. The pool bar was old and smelled of garbage depending on where you sat. The water slide and roped area for swimming was old and worn down as all the equipment was. Our first meal was on the patio restaurant looking onto the water. We had sandwiches….mediocre at best (although the French fries were good). The view from our Villa was very nice. We ended spending a lot of time onour patieti- watched the suet every night with wine and cheese from the hotel store (with the birds which we loved). We tried to eat breakfast in the room but the open air was rather hot and the fridge and stove were old with rust on them. Taxis to the restaurants were expensive ($20.00 each way for 5-10 miles on top of $150.00 dinner tab- American) Our fish was flavorless and tuff most times we tried it (except the fried fish lunch at the windjammer which my husband order 3 days in a row - great)) The steak place highly recommended was a poor substitute for Capital Grill with Capitol Grill prices. We did kayak next door the Calabash Cove and that place was beautiful. We ate in their restaurant one night and it was probably our best meal. The island has the natural resources to be a beautiful resort island but the service food and accommodations are 3 star – not what you expect when you pay the prices you pay to get there. With some better management it could be great
Best thing: Lt Lucia made ice cream, Piton Beer (st Lucia) and the view from the high cliffs.
Will not go again.

3 Thank Pegg M
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 3 June 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry you were disappointed in your stay. It is true the food on the island is more expensive than in the US - there is an expense to bring food to the islands. We will look at the the fridge and stove in your unit.

Regards,

mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,076 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!