“Water Sports”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 20 June 2012

The Water Sports are very well managed and help you out with anything you need. Kensley a very well mannered man taught me and my friend how to windsurf. I learned how to windsurf in two days and now can go out 300 yds out and have fun.

Room Tip: get a private villa totally worth the price.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tommy A
Write a ReviewReviews (2,716)

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Spent a week here, several days in one of the ocean view rooms (142A) and several days in one of the villas with a plunge pool (45). And did a mix of all inclusive ($150/day/person, don't forget taxes and surcharges) and fending for ourselves since the large villa had a well appointed kitchen. We're from California, and it took several LONG plane rides for us to get to St Lucia, so please keep in mind we evaluated Windjammer with other similar travel destinations; Mexico, Hawaii, Tahiti, Aruba, St Kits, St Marteen.

If your idea of a travel holiday is to hop aboard a cruise ship or spend a week kicking back at a single resort, Windjammer may be for you. If however, you prefer getting around, seeing the country and mixing it up with the locals I'd recommend you look elsewhere. You may feel 'stuck' at the resort as taxi service to and from Castries is $50 US, to and from Rodney Bay $28 US.

So here you are (again from our perspective) stuck at a pretty, but at the end of the day so-so resort; average beach facilities, average pool area, just ok restaurants, and a well meaning staff that seems to be hard pressed to deal with an easy curve ball; too many examples to bore you with all the details. The rooms, however, are over the top great! Spacious, well appointed, comfortable, and all with a great view. And I suppose one could simply spend a majority of time in your villa room or hanging out on your private deck.

Specifics:
Room: spacious, well appointed, wonderful view.
Getting around resort: Oh its always a steep up or a steep down, but the shuttles do run frequently.
Getting around St Lucia: expensive, again taxis $50US RT Castries, $28US RT Rodney Bay
Beach area: OK, local vendors are there but are not pushy or in your face
Beach Swim area: kind of small and limited
Pool area: Very pretty, pools on the average to small side
Water sports: For me a high spot, did a get reorientation session and two dives, very nice.
Tours: Interesting and fun day tour; catamaran to Soufrière, waterfall, drive through volcano, plantation tour, snorkel (plantation tour being the highlight)
Restaurants: Were ok, did not do the buffet
Timeshare pitch: I know better, wouldn't touch that with a 40 ft barge pole.

Bottom line. Spent a lot of time and money getting there, and once there spent another small fortune. And so wish we could spew superlatives and high recommendations, but cannot. If you're on the left coast a good decision would be Hawaii. If you're on the right coast, maybe this place, though there are other options.

Room Tip: - ask around about the St Lucia 'Friday Night' parties and/or fish frys - housekeeping staf...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank bbihler
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We just got back from spending a Week at Windjammer Landing. This Resort , it's location and everything about it was just perfect. My Wife and I enjoyed it so much that we actually bought a timeshare. The Staff made you feel as if you were their extended Family. The Beach is spread out and finding a Lounge Chair or a Hut for some cover from the Sun was never a problem. The Restaurants and Food were top notch. We are looking forward to visiting St. Lucia and Windjammer Landing for many more relaxing Vacations.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank kfin_12
Reviewed 9 June 2012

Stayed in the WL resort for one week in May. I had a very difficult time rtying to decide where to stay as none of the resorts seemed to tick all the boxes. Decided after much deliberation on this resort. I had been worried about the long transfer and the fact that it sort of isolated, and also that it might have been overun with children being a family friendly resort and us looking for more of a couples only type place. However the many advantages outweighed any concerns and by the end of the stay I was very happy with our choice.

We had booked a premium ocean view room. We were allocated room 142A on arrival. I was very very happy with it. It was spacious, comfortable, well decorated with a beautiful four poster bed, stunning sea views, great air con and a lovely roof top terrace. Perfect for a couple on a romantic holiday. We used the shuttle sometimes but it was walkable up and down to the lobby/beach/main pool etc.
The grounds of the resort are immaculate with foliage, flowers and stunning views everywhere. I loved walking around it as it was quiet and you felt that you were in a mediterrean village.
Our room was also well located just a few steps from the island pool, jacuzzi and Papa Dons restaurant. We spent a lot of our time at this pool as it was quiet and you had the great views across st. lucia, the resort and the sea from here.
The beach was as good as you are probably going to get in St. Lucia which I knew was not famed for its long sandy beaches. The beach was small in that it doesnt have miles and miles of sand but not tiny, it had lovely sand, you were not bothered by vendors on it, and you could always find a quiet spot to sunbathe, sunbeds, shade, umbrellas etc. I prefer to swim in pools so the small area for swimming didnt bother me. The main pool is just off the beach anyway.
One of the main reasons for choosing the resort was the choice of eating places on offer. Many of the other resorts only had 2 places to eat or buffets on most nights and staying for 7 days, I didnt want to eat in the same place all the time. This proved to be one of the reasons WL was such as good choice, We didnt have to leave the resort yet felt like we were eating in different places all the time. Yes, I was a bit surprised that many of the places are based around the same area but it makes sense I supose as most people on holiday want to eat near the beach, ocean, views etc. I found that there was quite a variety on the menus between the different places. We went AI and the food was very good everywhere. The portions were big everywhere also! Ate in Upper Deck twice and had surf and turf which was delicious. Ate in Papa Dons twice and also very tasty. Dragonfly had the most different menu and I very much enjoyed it. Also ate in Jammers bar for lunch and dinner. The salads and mahi mahi in the bar were lovely and fresh and light. Ate one lunchtime in Embers to but found the portions too big for lunch for me. If I had stayed for 2 weeks I would not have been tired of the menus on offer in this resort. Breakfast every morning in Dragonfly on the terrace was something I would never get tired of. I was also very surprised and happy that they had an a la carte menu as well as the buffet.Not being a huge eater I prefered to order from the menu most mornings. There was a huge choice to accommodate everyones breakfast tastes from around the world. The waffles and fresh fruit were the best. There was only one restriction on AI and that was bottles of wine were excluded (but not glasses) so I really thought this was very good. They had a very extensive and delicious cocktail menu.
The service everywhere was very good, no issues at all. Security very present on the resort also. Housekeeping service was excellent. Staff friendly everywhere also.
We did a tour booked through the hotel. Researched elsewhere the hotel was cheaper.
The hotel had a mixed clientele which is what I like. Guests were not from one particular country, mix of ages, mix of groups, families, couples young and old.
The only minuses were that I wished there had been more people in the bar later at night, it was not a late night spot but thats not the fault of the hotel. and while I enjoyed the different entertainment every night (jazz, steel band, a modern band etc) I feel like I'm 90 here when I say that sometimes it was too loud! One night in upper deck we couldnt hear each other across the table! very minor point.
We went into Rodney Bay one night and I saw some of the other places I had been considering as they were set in the RB area and normally I like to get out and about in the evenings beyond the hotel. However, they were not a patch on WL. They looked run down, not the type of luxury holiday I was looking for after travelling for the most of a day to St. Lucia. I was not a fan of the RB area either and was quite happy to stay in the resort for the rest of our evenings. The WL to me presents a luxury, relaxing, resort stay at a good price, for those who do not have a small fortune to spend on some of the really really high end resorts on the island. I saw some negative reviews before leaving and was a bit concerned but we really had no complaints, only praise.
Didnt want to leave and if we are ever in St. Lucia again we would definately choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank DeniMu
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Thank you for the terrific and thorough review! You've provided some great information for future travelers. I'm glad you didn't want to leave and we look forward to a future visit!

Warm regards,

Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Reviewed 6 June 2012

This resort is getting old and needs updating, which is in progress. The food, spa, evening entertainment, and water sports were excellent. The resort is quiet (except for the croaking frogs at night) with a private beach. The staff was friendly. Since the villas are on a cliff overlooking the water, the walk back and forth can be daunting; it's good exercise if you choose not to use the shuttles that run every 15 minutes. However, the view is amazing! The resort is located close to Castries airport and Rodney Bay.

Room Tip: ocean view is a must
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ProfDallas

Thank you for your review! We are indeed working on some updates and renovations to the property (although the frogs are staying!) We hope you'll return to see our enhancements and additions!

Warm regards,
Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Reviewed 5 June 2012

We arrived at Windjammer on May 27th, for a week stay using our RCI (timeshare) points. I guess the best way to describe this place is it has a nice beachy, relaxed feel to it, if you are looking for a Ritz Carlton experience, this place is not for you, but I could definitely see coming back here to drink some Pitons by the beach bar and enjoy the views with my friends.

Room - Our villa, 412, had an amazing view, right in the middle of the mountain with an infinity pool. It was not the open villa; we were able to close doors leading out to the patio/balconies so when some rain did come, we didn’t have a problem with anything getting wet like I had seen about some of the open villas. I could have spent everyday just relaxing there, watching the sunset and boats go by. Our unit was a well kept, two bedroom (king bed/two singles which was great with teenagers) each with its own bathroom, full kitchen, laundry room and living room area. Housekeeping was really great, everything was kept clean, and they even did our dishes! We had some visitors in the form of birds and small lizards; they got inside a few times, which was pretty funny.

Activities/Beach area: Each day they had various activities to do – snorkeling etc. I think we came at the tail end of the busy season, at the bar at night there were maybe 10-15 people each night, we had our pick of chairs on the beach, which I like as I’m not a fan of crowds. Beach area is nice, small area for swimming due to sea urchins, dark blue water, but you can still see the bottom, my family snorkeled at the beach in between the Pitons, and saw many different kinds of fish,etc and would recommend finding a boat tour to do just that.

Staff: Very helpful, shuttles were very prompt, proactive as well – when our taxi to go to the airport was late, one of the managers noticed we were waiting a bit in the lobby and promptly called our taxi service to get an update on when they would be arriving. Staff in restaurant was attentive and only had to wait long once for a meal at the beach restaurant.

Food: We opted not to do all inclusive, which worked well for us as we had a full kitchen, and had our taxi driver stop at the supermarket for us on our way in. $150 per person per day seems steep to me for all inclusive for 4 people. We ate at all the restaurants; dinner was on the expensive side for what you would get in the higher end restaurants for that price in the US, small portions on the appetizers. Drinks were ok, we stuck to Piton beer most of the time, but you have to try the spiced rum they make (not the Chairman’s Reserve) on the rocks, we found some bottles in the market with the spices inside to make our own at home.

Tours: We did tours with Cosol (day long tour) and Zip lining with Tree Top Adventure tours reviews you can see on Trip advisor which were fun. Be advised that when you pre pay for a tour, its customary to tip the guides (at rainforest, volcano) which is an additional cost and there are people EVERYWHERE you stop selling things… got on my nerves by the end of the week as it was a constant when you are away from the resort.

Towns/Local area: Towns we visited (Castries/Soufriere), they are NOT tourist centered towns, no large shopping areas expect for the local market which I was not a fan of, I don’t like constantly being approached to buy things. Driving is an experience, all the roads are narrow and twist and turn, up and down the mountain. I needed to take Dramamine for the taxi ride (hour +) to the airport, it’s like a roller coaster! I would recommend doing water taxis whenever you can, such a great view of the island from the water!

Timeshare Pitch - we were approached but declined, they were polite, and had no issue, since we have timeshare with RCI we never do that at any resort, its never worth whatever they give you unless you are serious about buying, as they take up hours of your vacation.

Overall really enjoyed the resort, special thanks to our shuttle drivers who had to keep taking us up and down that big hill constantly, I can imagine that must be a tedious job but they were always so upbeat!

Room Tip: villas with the infinity pool were so neat, loved loved 412! If you don't want to have to take t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Sjm51593
Reviewed 5 June 2012

We stayed at this resort from 13th to 27th May. We swapped our Hilton Grand Vacation points through RCI, which we have done successfully many times before. We were bitterly disappointed with our villa, 152 known as Island style. The scars of neglect were evident in every room. The fridge and oven were rusty, the floors were in desperate need of re-painting, and the TV was a model I haven't seen for many years, housed in an ancient wicker unit that needed a jolly good clean. The bathroom, kitchen/lounge were open to the elements which meant that I was bitten continually, despite the lotions and potions I rubbed in. I had to wash everything in the kitchen before I used it because of all the tiny ants. Only the bedroom was air-conditioned. The villa is in need of urgent refurbishment. The villa owners that we met told us that the resort was less than a third full but when we asked the appropriate senior management if we could move to something more acceptable, we were told that they had fulfilled their obligation to give us a one-bedroom villa.It's as if they had been marinaded in indifference. In their 'welcome' directory in the villa, it states "Guests at Windjammer Landing can expect the finest in spacious private suites", this is signed by Tanise Gills. They also state "At WL we are always looking for new ways to enhance your stay. It is our responsibility to ensure that you enjoy your vacation to the fullest. We look forward to serving you". Words fail me. The resort is beautiful and the rest of the staff is excellent. The food in all the restaurants was top class.

Room Tip: Refuse to go in an Island style villa
Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Rosyglow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
15 mi away
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!