“Beautiful Windjammer, beautiful people!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Ottawa
“Beautiful Windjammer, beautiful people!”
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We just spent a beautiful week at Windjammer Landing.
It was our 20th anniversary and could not have enjoyed it better.
Our room was open to the air with a huge balcony which we spent many nights on admiring the view of Martinique. We even entertained a few nights some of the people we met there and even though it was a one bedroom, there was a lot of space for us all.
We did not have an all inclusive but did have a breakfast plan and an invitation to the beach party bbq.
We did see the timeshares. It didn't take long, was very interesting and the staff was honest and not pushy. We did not end up buying because we have another timeshare we need to dispose of first but we ended up having regular cocktails with the rep who showed no hard feelings at all.
The St. Lucian people are like no other that we have experienced. They are honest, hardworking, and happy.
I met the manager who was very gracious and actually took time to seek me out and thank me for my compliments. He was not there for a few years which may explain the drop in services for a while.
We were constantly and efficiently and kindly attended to in every restaurant, bar, with room service, shuttles and reception. Our room was clean, with maid service twice daily and tips, though not expected, were truly appreciated.
The beach was great and calm, a nice change from the pounding Atlantic, and the staff at watersports were especially helpful. They taught my husband to sail and let us take one of the small cats out into the bay. Beautiful. We snorkelled as well, with a ride into Rodney Bay to see beautiful corals and small fish, sea urchins.
Papa Dons was great, as was the Upper Deck where we had the most beautiful Mahi Mahi. Pasta at Papa Don's was home made. The breakfast was very good but a little repetitive by the end of the week. There was plenty of fresh fruit as well. Ours was included but the buffet was a little expensive and it was much more economical to order a la carte. The only complaint I may have about the breakfast was a few too many birds pooping on the terrace. The servers would clear tables and leave the plates on a sideboard where the birds attacked. Of course, we made our own bird friends up at the villa. Be prepared to meet an odd feline friend as well.
We stayed in the traditional villa although there were new units that had every convenience, we preferred the open air living as being from Ottawa we don't get enough of that.
It only rained once heavily, but it was a relief as it had been hot! We had to miss the jump up because of the rain but I hear it is a pretty special event. It is in Gros Islet every Friday night.
The Windjammer is not a place to go if you want a constant party. Everything was pretty much done by 11 pm. But it was very romantic and restful which is what we wanted.
It is kid friendly and although there were children there they were all well behaved and parents seemed to be in full control.
One thing I really appreciated was that there were very few smokers which was refreshing and everything was so open that even when people were smoking it was never a problem.
Jammer's Day sail was great and we went very cheaply as Windjammer discounted us for attending the time share.
Don't miss the new comers meeting and know who your ambassador is because they and others like them will help you whenever you need it.
Is it five star? Maybe not quite, but the service and the welcome was. We will go back.

• Liked — The people, the views.
  • Disliked — Absolutley nothing! Loved it all!
2 Thank Lee-Anne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
new york
Reviewed 23 May 2008

We just returned from our third trip to the Windjammer Landing and want to let people know how superb this resort is. As members of RCI we had to book through them and they booked the dates incorrectly. Joanne at the front desk quickly put us in a fantastic room in the new section but we missed the older villas. Ron showed us 2 rooms the next day and we moved into an older more rustic villa within 20 minutes. Trisha our ambassador was also in touch to make sure we were happy. Ron, Joanne and Trisha were all so accommodating.
The spa is lovely we shared 2 couples massages and found them to be the best ever.
We chose not to do the meal plan and enjoyed some delicious meals off the property. The Edge in Rodney Bay is exceptional and so is the Rainforest Hideaway in Marigot Bay. The hotel called a great driver Stevenson who took care of us the whole week.
St. Lucia is a beautiful island and the Windjammer offers a perfect home base because it is both gorgeous and staffed by the nicest people.
Just a few "inside" tips.
The roti at Jammers are yummy.
The Land and Sea excursion is a good value that includes lunch at Ladera a dramatic resort between the Pitons, a tour of the countryside and a catamaran ride. Richard was a very informative guide and Gary a sweet driver.
The map you are given when you check in does not include the new pools behind the Hibiscus building.
Take a taxi to Marigot Bay in the afternoon and check out the Discovery Resort and the impressive boats in the marina then have a sunset dinner at the Rainforest Hideaway.
We can't wait to go back to our other home the Windjammer!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
2 Thank portjeffgal
UK
Reviewed 23 May 2008

Spent years looking for a perfect family holiday destination that suits us and our 6 year old son and we have finally found it at the Windjammer. The beach and pools are great and the kids facilities are excellent. We loved our 1 bedroom bungalow and found the shuttle bus that takes guests up the hill to their rooms to be very reliable and fun!

The staff were friendly and helpful, happy to meet any of our requests.

Lots of mosquitoes, but after calling the concierge about it they came to turn our rooms down every evening while we were out, thoroughly spraying it and arranging our mosquito nets so that our room was mossie free for the night while we slept. Definitely recommend you request this.

It is a 90 min transfer across the island to get to the resort, but well worth the trip when you arrive at the Windjammer. It’s also a good way of seeing the Island!

Another great way of exploring St Lucia is the Jammers sail day. A trip out on a Catamaran, and some time exploring St Lucia on land. We had a great day, would also recommend this trip.

We had a wonderful time at the Windjammer and are hoping to return next year.

Zoe
Cheshire

• Liked — View
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 21 May 2008

We booked two Ocean View Rooms for our two week holiday and found the rooms - and the hotel - to be distinctly average. Definately not 5 star quality.

We travelled with another married couple and were given adjoining rooms - however one room had twin beds and no mosquito nets. And trust me, you need mosquito nets here. One of our party had over 30 bites after just one night without a net!

Our toilet handle broke half way through the first week - it simply had corroded away! There was a leak in our bedroom so the floor would flood whenever it rained (which it did almost everyday) and the electrics were dodgy - sometimes light switches worked, sometimes they didn't. We later discovered the cause of this was water flooding in and pouring out from behind electrical sockets!

The food is basic and expect to wait up to an hour. Also, don't expect much local fruit or veg - buy off the Fruit Man on the beach because this will be the only fruit you will get.

Stay away from the internet kiosk which have speeds akin to dial up - it took us 20 minutes to connect to Hotmail alone, forget logging in because it will cut you off. Strangely when we used the computers behind the desk, the connection was instant!

The beach is okay, definately not pure white sand and turquiose seas but it's quite secluded and the water sports are fun.

There are some good points to the Windjammer - we really recommend the WJ Day Sail, Sunset Cruise on the Unicorn and the Grenadines were amazing!! Well worth paying for.

If you are getting married here or on honeymoon, the Windjammer pulls out all the stops. However, if you're just having a normal holiday, there's nothing to really make the WJ stand out and we left with the distinct feeling of it being average rather than amazing.

• Liked — The trips
  • Disliked — The crappy room and waiting so long for average food
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank scubabinx
france
Reviewed 19 May 2008

I have to be quick as I have 2 kids at home both napping.

After much deliberation my husband and I chose the windjammer to get married at with our 3 kids age 5, 3 and 7months and 12 other friends and family. After reading some of the reviews on here I was very apprehensive, not only did we have a long flight with BA, but as I said it was our wedding/honeymoon/holiday with kids, and our first time with all 3 of them. They were fantastic on the plane although wanted to get off at Antigua (the reason we chose BA was that they undercut other agents by 3 thousand pounds and we got better accommodation after a little negotiation).

We took a helicopter to the resort, fantastic and quick, and we were settled very quickly into our Villa, a 2 bed with both rooms downstairs as I had requested, even the cot had mosquito netting. The boys were in the plunge pool before we'd even shut the door and as we were so tired we ordered room service, which takes a while (dont order chips as they go cold quickly), as we were all inclusive we only had to pay for the service charge.

The next day we met the wedding planner and the lawyer who came up to the hotel, so no running around which was good.

I loved the food in general, although it could have been a little spicier, the only restaurant we didn't try was Dragonfly, no kids allowed, steaks at Papa Dons were delicious as was the pizza at Embers and my husband loved the ribs and the chicken rotis.

The boys went to kids club 4 hours a day and made loads of friends from all over the world so they were shattered every night, Gale who runs the club is suberb, and we also had a lovely baby sitter, Macrina, who babysat all 3 some evenings, we booked the family delight package as our 3 year old was not allowed to go without her which was fine, a boat trip, massage and somethinge else I've forgotten was also thrown in so I thought it was good value even though we didn't use all the hours over our 2 week stay (if you do go for family delight package its 9-5 and make sure you only pay for it once if you are there for 2 weeks).

The wedding was just lovely, informal which is what I wanted with 3 children and by the beach, we had champagne and canapes after before eating at the carribean night. The next day we were meant to have breakfast in bed but with 3 kids up at 6.00 they're not going to wait!

The pools were lovely and clean the beach beautiful and you could even just snorkel around the trampoline and see the odd squid, barracuda (1) and beautiful fish, I agree with someone who said there isn't any shade by the pool but we managed.

As for the shuttle buses, the boys loved them and the staff couldn't be more helpful humping all our stuff in and out for us, I love the fact that the hotel blends in with the scenery and isn't some huge ugly monstrosity sitting on the beach, just so we don't have to walk too far. We never had to wait too long and they were always there within 5 minutes or so. We didn't spend much time in our villa, just to sleep but when we go back (and we will) I will request a villa which is all enclosed as feeding the birds is all well and good until they poop on your clothes, and the mosquitos really got to the boys when they were playing around upstairs before bed. We did have a couple of cockroaches (I hate them) but then what should I expect in the caribbean? We didn't eat in the villa so it wasn't dirty it was just one of those things and my husband killed them as i won't sleep knowing they are around, yes I'm a wimp.

So what else can I say? Yes I met some people who werent as keen as I was on the Windjammer (the shuttle buses and the villa bedrooms being on different levels) but all I can think about was what a brilliant holiday and wedding and I want to do it all over again.

Please feel free to email me if you want to ask any more questions.

Mwana, Mark, Alfie, Sonny and Lola

ps photos too big to put on

• Liked — the choice of restaurants, the kids club, the drinks!!
  • Disliked — mosquitos
  • Stayed May 2008
3 Thank mwanaFrance
California
Reviewed 14 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Windjammer in November 2007 in order to attend a friend’s wedding. I will say up-front that we have never been interested in taking vacations to all-inclusive resorts and would not have chosen this place if we were. We were there purely to attend the wedding. That said, the Windjammer did not impress us.

Since our trip was short, we decided to stay in one of the smaller rooms, not in one of the villas (this was a mistake on our part). As other reviewers have noted, the villas are quite nice- although the best villas are the furthest up the hill and therefore the most reliant on the shuttle buses (I will not get into that in this review- there are already plenty of complaints about them in other reviews).

A few of our major grievances were:

Service like molasses: we had dinner at the Upper Deck one night and it took over an hour for the food to arrive (note: we were not with the wedding party then). Plus, I had to request water three times and they still never brought it! I was finally feeling so parched that I decided to track down a waiter; even then, they took their time bringing it. After all that, the food was mediocre, at best. One would think this was a one-time occurrence. Not so. We had lunch the next day at Jammer’s and they took an hour to bring me a salad with some grilled calamari, making we wonder whether they had to catch the squid first.

Hot, buggy bathroom: since the bathroom had open-air windows/slots, it was hot and had bugs crawling around. Quite the relaxing experience.

Collapsing sidewalk: yes, you read that correctly- the wooden sidewalk in front of our room totally collapsed the last day we were there. Since we then had no running water, I requested to be moved to another room immediately (it was the morning and we wanted to take showers!). At first, they were reluctant to do anything, but when I pressed, they acquiesced. They then assigned us to a room which wasn’t even clean. Granted, the beds were made, but there was still a room service tray with half-eaten food on it. Since my husband and I were already late to meet up with a driver, we ignored the obviously-dirty digs, took quick showers and got out of there.

Other minor points:
- The “gym” was dingy with old equipment. At least the views to the beach were pleasant.
- Shuttles up/down the hill were either very quick or took forever. Plan accordingly.
- Overall run-down appearance. The pool has seen better days and wasn’t even filled properly. Don’t forget the collapsing sidewalk!

This is far from a five-star experience. Ignore their website- it is a ruse. If you are coming to St. Lucia as a couple, I’d suggest staying at the Discovery in Margot Bay.

• Liked — seeing it in the rearview mirror
  • Disliked — poor service
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nachtisch
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2008

Whether you want to spend your time relaxing under a palm tree or whether you fancy an action-packed holiday, Windjammer has got it all!
Whilst I lazed about drifting from sun to sea to shade, my more active "other-half" was kept amused with kayaking, deep-sea fishing and much more....
The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and are willing to arrange just about whatever you might want to do - even if that's being left alone to do nothing!
There's plenty of different food options in the resort, although as always we tended to prefer the jammers bar for food - mainly due to the quality, price and atmosphere. Plenty to chose from at breakfast and would def NOT recommend the "meal plans" as they seemed v.pricey in comparison!
Since my first visit to Windjammer in 1994, I have been back regularly and this time I was delighted to see that the resort was back to it's full glory again...it really is a paradise haven with plenty to do if you are so inclined!
Don't miss the Managers Cocktail party - a chance to speak with management, browse in the new time-share properties plus sample a few (free) local beverages - watch out for the Rum Punch! Also, check out the extensive cocktail list at Jammers Bar...definitely worth working your way through!!!
Finally, two tips: mosquito repellent and after-sun lotion!!!

1 Thank Liz_and_Nick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!