“Wonderful time in a cozy and rustic villa :)”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Wonderful time in a cozy and rustic villa :)”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Myself and my partner recently returned from a 3 night stay in Windjammer (on a b&b basis) and had a wonderful time over there. Windjammer is about 15 min ride from the airport and we paid $20 US for it. Upon arrival we experienced one of the nicest welcome we ever had. The receptionist was extremely friendly and helpful and the driver dropping us to our villa was just adorable - he refused to let us carry anything, insisting on doing it himself. He showed us our villa (no 121) and when he realised that there are no batteries in the remote for air conditioning, he made a phone call and 2 technicians came within 10 minutes to bring the batteries and check if everything else was ok. The villa itself was lovely, very rustic and charming - kind of Greek/Spanish style. The villa consisted of a cozy bedroom, very clean and modern bathroom, small but very well equipped kitchen, nice sitting area and a wonderful patio with tables and chairs and 2 sunbeds. The view from the villa was beautiful even though the villa was not so high up. We walked down from the villa to the main area every time (5 min walk) as it was a nice walk but we used the shuttle busses on the way up - very efficient. The resort in general is wonderful and great value for the money. It has a wide selection of restaurants (we tried Papa Don's and Jammers and have to say I would only grade the food as ok for the price; breakfast included in our package was good) and many pools to choose from. There was some meitenance work going on when we were there however straight away we were warned about it and receive $100US to use in any of the restaurants, bars or spa to compensate for any potential inconvenience - a little bit of noise and one pool closed for 2 days were the only things that we experienced. In relation to the spa, we received a complimentary foot treatment which was nice. We decided to treat ourself also to a couple massage ($155US) and received a complimentary body scrub with it (a daily special). The massage itself was ok but it lasted shorter than it was suppose to + the ladies were whispering to each other every so often which made us feel a little bit uncomfortable as we did not know if they were talking about us (it would have been a nightmare for self conscious people I imagine). The spa experience was a little bit disappointing but it didn't change our views regarding the resort - its a wonderful place with a nice beach and plenty of things to do including fitness activities (abs classes, aqua aerobics etc) and water adventures (snorkeling, water skiing etc). Richard, the resort manager is there for you at all times to ensure you'll be leaving the resort with similar opinions :)

4 Thank ReasonWhy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (746)
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We had a wonderful time in St. Lucia. It is a quaint resort nestled in the hillside of the bay. There are plenty of water activities to try out and there are an ample number of spaces on the beach or poolside to enjoy the sun. We had a premium ocean view room and loved our roof top deck with a great panoramic view. On a clear day, we could see the outline of Martinique! There are shuttles available to take you up to your room or back down to the main part of the resort, but we usually just walked. It wasn't too bad of walk up the hill.
The all-inclusive option is was easy to use. It is a little different than some other all-inclusive resorts as there are no wrist-bands. Everything is signed to your room and then the included charges are deducted from your room bill. We were able to try out all of the restaurants and all the food was very good.
We were there during the rainy season, but usually only rained for a few minutes and then was beautiful the rest of the day. We also went on the day sail to Souffrie and would highly recommend it. You get to see a variety of highlights of the island.
We would definitely go back someday. The staff from the resort and others we met were welcoming and friendly.

4 Thank SWollbrink
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 September 2013

We booked a Premium ocean view room but on arrival we were given a villa (44B) with the view of the cab stand. I was given the premium ocean view after I requested a room change (211). The villa was the best thing that this resort was able to offer me.

Day one I was confronted with a situation that I never thought I would have experience at a so call five star resort. Stray cats roam the entire property including all of the restaurants. I booked this resort because they advertised no pets allowed. So, the last thing I expected was to be confronted with over a dozen cats roaming the property. As a result, I was unable to utilize any of the commons space, i.e. pool, beach, and poolside bar. During my meals I was uncomfortable because I had to continually check to make sure the cats were not coming near my table. I was given one night complimentary room service so that was the best night I had for dinner.

In an attempt to save my vacation, I checked into other resorts in the area but I found out that the cats were at all the resorts on the Island and during my only excursion a person who was staying at the Sandals informed me that one of the stray cats jumped on her while she was having her dinner. So, I remained trapped in my villa counting down the days that I would be returning home.

The food at the resort was below standard for my taste. The breakfast menu and buffet should be upgraded. I found the additional charge for lobster when you have already paid for a meal plan was petty and should have been automatically included especially since it was only offered for one night. The menu should be changed daily because who would want to eat the same meal everyday while on vacation. The liquid was not top shelf and it lacked a variety like it was advertised and the drinks were watered down which did not make sense to me because we paid for an all inclusive.

Finally, we did the couple spa treatment and as a result I developed a rash on my neck from the oil that was used. Another first for me so I would say beware of the products they used. The massage itself was good.

Room Tip: Any villa where cats are unlikely to be unless you like cats!
5 Thank Leslie G
Whitsett, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We had a Premium ocean view room (150A). It was beautiful! The best feature was the rooftop sun deck. Sitting up there at night was a nice cocktail was wonderful. The shuttle service was prompt and we never had to wait longer than a few minutes, but the walk of the hills really was not too terrible. The food at all the restaurants was excellent and we really like the themed meals at the Dragonfly. We went during the "rainy season" but it rained maybe once a day for just a few minutes. The rest of the time was beautiful. Would highly recommend!

4 Thank Rebecca2414
Citrus Heights, California
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We had a one bedroom villa with a plunge pool (#208). The patio was great for laying out sans top before heading to the beach later in the day. The view was spectacular and the sunsets majestic. The shuttle came within minutes of our request. The food was great at every restaurant at the resort. We went to the local supermarket for most of our food/snacks as we like to nibble during the day. EVERY person at the resort was very helpful, very friendly and service oriented. The grounds were well maintained and they fog the resort every night for mosquito control. We did have occasional ants but had ant spray to use. No worries. It rained for a short time every day but I looked at is as a 'raindrop massage'. The water was perfect. My roommate is a scuba diver and she had excellent service/dive locations. The resort has complimentary snorkeling (by boat) and a $5 snorkel that takes you out further. I was alone on my $5 snorkel and enjoyed an additional location near Pigeon Island. I saw all kinds of fish, coral, a family of squid, etc. There are fish visible from the various docks at the resort for those that don't want to get their face wet. We also hired a private guide/taxi for trips to the Volcano, botanical gardens, etc. Very winding roads, take your Bonine! We used North Point for our horseback ride and were extremely happy. We planned on taking advantage of the sailing, kayaking, etc but we ran out of time!! I travel A LOT and this was one of the best island vacations I have had. Even with the longer plane trip from California, I will return again and again.

Room Tip: Room #208 is completely air conditioned, has a big deck and plunge pool. The sofa in the living roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kim B
Fareham, UK
Reviewed 13 September 2013

This was to be a special holiday for my wife and I as we had not been able to have a fortnights holiday for many a long year. Our only restriction, apart from the ususal finance, was tha tour holidays have to be during scholl hols as my wife is a teacher.
We finally settled on the Windjammer because of the location and the abundance of water sports.
Upon arrival at the hotel i was struck about the length of the side road (unlit) leading to the resor about 1.5 miles I estimated although the sign on the main road said 1 mile. You probably wouldn't want to walk it after dark !
Also upon arival you notice that the resort is built on a hill and shuttle buses are there to move you about the place when required. Upon arrival you are given a seat, a drink and fill in the usual paperwork. Then you are taken to your room by shuttle. Ours was a Premium Ocen View in the Antigua Block (101-106) of the Island Villa Rooms. Very good room with the usual facilities ie walk in shower, roof terrace, hairdryer for the ladies, towels, coffee making machine, TV, radio/CD player and a hug walk in wardrobe with a safe (complimentary). Two minor issues with the room. 1) There was only one chair to sit in and gaze out at the great sea view in a room for two people. 2) Our room did not have any shade for the sun beds (metal framed) on the roof terrace. Other rooms had shade built into their design for one of the beds. Didn't bother us as we were on the beach most of the time and used the terrace late afternoon but it would have been nice ! A word about the hairdryer, do not fall foul of the issue we had. That is one minute it worked (always when housekeeping wer there to change it ) and one minute it didn't (when we tried). Be aware that ther hairdryer was controlled by the bathroom light switch ie when the light was on the hairdryer would work and vice versa.
Beach - nice beach with shade and a beach bar "96 degrees in the shade". Also Embers beach bar and restaurant was avaialble for lunch/ice creams and drinks. The Veggie burger and Ja wrap is to be recommended but give tiem between them and dinner as they are filling. There are warning about sea urchins and the use of jet ski's which are unauthorised by the hotel. A guy did occasionally turn up by boat loaded with fresh fruit which you could buy. The fresh cocunut and pineapple were really good and reasonably priced in Eastern Caribbean Dollars (ECD).
There is another issue. Currency can get confusing as some places take ECD and some USD and some both. Be careful if you enter into trying to work out a rate of exchange as some shops have there own (possibly!?).
Food :-
Dragonfly restaurant - only one serving breakfast. Usually buffet - great variety. Open in the evening for evening meal again buffet style but with occasional themed nights. Again very good quality etc.
Embers - lunch time on the beach. Good quality.
Jammers - Bar/restaurant - on the beach edge. Aavilable for lunch. Only had a drink there so could not comment on food. Too much hustle and bustle for us to eat there in evening but was a popular spot with those who wanted that kind of thing..
Papa Don's - only a 60 second walk from our room. Open from 18:00. Again very good quality. Nice atmosphere. During a rain storm I was concerned that the rain water was dripper over electrical junction boxes and did report it to a member of staff and hotel reception. Went here a lot.
Upper Deck - probaly considered to be the up market restaurant of the resort ? Very good food and seating is well laid out on tiered stages. Their steaks are excellent albeit a mainly fish restaurant.
Please note it is best to reserve tables with reception perhaps as we did on our way to/from breakfast at the Dragonfly.

All retaurants served great food which was varied.

Water sports - highlight of the holiday. Kayaking, snorkelling twice a day, Hobbie Cat sailing all complimentary for those (like us ) who were all inclusive. There was also scuba diving available.

Staff - the best bit of the resort. The staff were excellent, couldn't do enough for you. Colletta, Romanos, Randall and Winston on watersports. Darrell, Lindon, Gemar on reception, in the restaurants Sharon, Andre', Samantha, Alicia and Ronnete were all extremely helpful and went that bit further to make our stay enjoyable. There are too many to mention and I really wouldn't want to upset anyone by missing anyone out but those I have mentioned by name are those we came across on a day to day basis.

I would thoroughly recommend this resort especially as our holiday was made so very enjoyable by the staff.

Be warned though it is built on a hill and some of the inclines are very steep however shuttles are available.

Also the cats may not be to your liking but be patient you get to like to ignore them after a while if not the guests who persist in feeding them !

Room Tip: Make every effot to ascertain how far your room is from reception. Will you need a shuttle bus to ge...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Fred_Fareham_UK
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We are staying in a gorgeous 3 bedroom estate villa. It has a private pool for us to enjoy when we are not at the beach. The all inclusive food and drinks are excellent! There is lots of variety with four restaurants on the resort.
The staff have been fabulous; they take care of our every need. We have been spoiled by so many. The grounds and beach are well cared for. Our daily maid service is so appreciated. The resort is on a hillside so we are shuttled around from the beach, shops, restaurants and our villa. We had a fabulous spa treatment.

Room Tip: We were fortunate enough to get this gorgeous estate villa; however after seeing some of the other v...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank gelandon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!