“Very Mixed Review”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Our experience at Windjammer was very hit or miss. We stayed for a week for our honeymoon. Overall, the resort was nice and we never had any difficulty finding a chair in the shade. In addition, I cannot say enough about the Water Sports staff- they were incredibly helpful and we enjoyed using the Paddleboards and Hobie Cat. We also booked a scuba trip out of the water sports and it was a great experience as well.

Dining was pretty good overall. We ate at the buffet at Dragonfly for breakfast daily and it had a good selection. Jammers and Embers for lunch were both good and the drinks were excellent. Service was slow in both places but the staff was very nice. Upper Deck was good both times we ate there (excellent tuna) and it was by far my favorite restaurant.

Our major negative was food poisoning from dinner at Papa Don's. My husband was ill the entire night and next day (he didn't even make it out of the room the next day) and when I went to the front desk for assistance in re-booking our scuba trip, I was treated like I was a bother and their response was not at all helpful or sympathetic. It was a major turn off and makes me hesitant to recommend Windjammer to anyone because of the experience and the treatment from the staff during this time.

1  Thank Jessica V
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Jessica: Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed the majority of your stay and I appreciate the comments about our Water Sports team. I'm also happy you enjoyed most of your dining experiences and am sorry about your issue with Papa Don's. I am most disappointed in the reaction of our Front Desk to your situation. We definitely should have been more empathetic and handled this better and we'll take some time to do some additional training. I hope you'll give us another chance - perhaps to celebrate an anniversary!

Warm regards,
Mark Ozawa
Managing Director

Reviewed 8 December 2013

We had a wonderful time at Windjammer. The staff was amazing from the concierge, staff at the front desk, to the restaurant staff, housekeeping (who noticed my husband kept using the creamers but not making coffee and left extra), to the water sports staff, maintenance staff and the shuttle drivers, and anyone we have missed. The resort had so many restaurants and offered water activities (we learned to paddle board and kayak) - but that iceberg is not so easy to climb. You could also windsurf and waterski. We did the Land and Sea tour, which was really interesting and a lot of fun; I later learned that Windjammer offers a similar tour. We had lunch between the pitons at the Stonefield resort (thank you for taking us there Matt, the view was spectacular as was the food and service). Rodney Bay was so clean and such a nice area to shop in. We are returning next year and can't wait. Thank you everyone for all of the work in making our 25th anniversary and 50th birthdays special!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tony and Tammy S
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Very good AI resort overall, highlights were the dining (stick with Papa Dons and the Upper Deck), good top shelf liquors, not too busy most times especially around pools, lots of seating on beach especially, nice mix of people, friendly staff and beautiful ocean front location. Negatives were the rooms, upgraded to a full ocean view and while the view was fantastic, room was very plain and older, the walk to the rooms (shuttles available but not as quick as you would like a lot of the time, big hills to climb and quite slippery when wet), and the signing bills for everything with tip. This became a pain and while there is nothing wrong with tipping extra for good service, I don't like a bill to sign with a tip option for a bottle of water. The dive charter at the resort was mediocre at best, we had more experience than the dive master and we met a couple that were out for their first dive without being given any pool training or anything else for that matter. My friend and I set up and checked their gear for them and talked them through what to do. They were not even spoken to until it was time to get into the water, appalling!!! If you are a novice diver looking to try it out, book with another company. We were with a wedding group and overall, our entire group had a good experience. Wedding went off without a hitch and was well produced. Lots of good excursion options. Good place overall.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2013

First off, if you've chosen St Lucia for your vacation you've made a wonderful choice. The people are super nice and the island is gorgeous!

Windjammer Landing is a fabulous property (more intimate than many choices on Rodney Bay)with several nice restaurants. They also have watersports, but the complimentary snorkel options are not that great (terrible visibility in Rodney Bay where they take you). If you are paying for snorkeling or diving, I suggest you reserve in advance. We were not always able to find a snorkel excursion down to the Marine Park when we wanted to go.

Also, The day excursions are very nice but a little on the spendy side as are the taxi if you decide to go 'off property'. With all that said, there isn't much to do, which makes for a very relaxing vacation if you are so inclined.

We had a beautiful unit here with a fabulous view but the kitchen was very small. Be prepared for the open air room style, I didn't appreciate some of the critters that entered our room and my bed a few nights while we were sleeping. Eww!

We used the spa and the massages were outstanding. The spa itself is lacking wow factor and dressing room space but massages are very worthwhile and the therapists are very nice.

The property could improve by adding sand to the man made beach-it's not currently very appealing due to erosion and by offering some better snorkel tour excursions and more affordable dinner meal choices besides just pizza. Not everyone wants to drop $200-$300 a day for big meals.

The plus for Windjammer Landing is the outstanding view, the friendliness of the staff and the overall beauty of the island. We also enjoyed the buffet and a very nice dinner at Papa Dons.

The property was bustling while we were there to make improvements in preparation for their busy season.

We will be back!

Room Tip: Get a room with a plunge pool
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear KrissyKris2: Thank you for your review. I'm glad the majority of your experiences with the resort were positive and I'm sure readers will appreciate the good tips. Please note that we have units which are completely enclosed as opposed to the "traditional" Caribbean accommodation which is more open to the elements and nature. We'd be happy to request one of these if you decide to return. I'd also be happy to assist with any future snorkel reservations with our dive shop; there are a few places we can take you. Also, we have a variety of smaller items ranging from sandwiches, salads, burgers, etc. in the different restaurants besides the pizza in Embers and Papa Don's. But, we'd be happy to fix something else for you if you'd like!

I'm glad you'll be returning! Please send me a note when you're starting your planning and I'll help you with all of these arrangements!

Warm regards,
Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My husband and I trade off planning our anniversary celebration each year. This year was our 20th, so I knew he would likely plan a trip. We went to St. Lucia and stayed at the Windjammer Landing. IT WAS SPECTACULAR! The island is lovely and very clean. The resort was comfortable and the staff was extremely friendly and service oriented. They did an amazing job! I've can honestly say that I've never seen a staff from ground crew, to front desk, to kitchen and bar to watersports that we so engaging and friendly. I never passed a single employee that didn't greet me and ask how they could help me. It was incredible.

We did the Endless Summer Catamaran that left from the Windjammer's dock. It was worth it. We also booked fishing with Houston and Tim. We caught a 400 lb, 14ft Blue Marlin. Super Exciting!

Our evening were spent enjoying the restaurant (which we agreed were better on property than in Rodney Bay or Castries) and the entertainment. They had some world-class jazz groups playing. So we were able to truly enjoy the evenings. I made a special bond with my girl Sandy. She looked after us and made us feel very, very welcome.

Thanks to all the Staff at Windjammer Landing! You truly made our anniversary trip a special memory and we look forward to visiting again soon. Good luck John! You've done a great job making Windjammer an awesome destination and your leadership shows in the quality service your staff provides your guests. All the best!

Room Tip: The villas are built into the side of a very hill. They have a shuttle service (which is pretty goo...
2  Thank kellis923
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I am from Calgary Canada and had the opportunity to book a last minute tropical vacation and chose Windjammer Landing
It was a nice surprise to find they were built and owned by an excellent old established Calgary construction company that I new had a good reputation
After I booked I saw they did weddings I rang the resort. Melanie was great to talk to and accommodated the last minute request giving me all of the choices to book immediately.
From arrival to departing we had a wonderful experience and have fallen in love with the people at Windjammer and the location. The vow renewal service was perfect with Melanie and Lynn pulling off every detail above my expectations and keeping all of the details a total surprise for my wife of 25 yrs
The location the service and local minister food and decorations and flowers plus dinner on the beach decorated room after and breakfast the next morning were all perfect
We spoke to many guests and staff many of which have been working and staying there for 16 plus years and still love it and did not speak of anything negative
We talked to several British guests and owners of timeshares who were thrilled with there long term association with Windjammer and we also decided to invest our future annual tropical vacations for us and our grown family at Windjammer Landing with Lisa and Jessica
( the investment is a really good flexible deal )
I also spoke to the GM who looks after 400 plus staff at Windjammer and I was impressed with him
All in all trust the staff at Windjammer to give you wonderful personal service and become family friends you will look forward to seeing again
We look forward to having our children's weddings with Melanie and Lynn :)
Good vibes, good people, beautiful location much love
See you guys at Windjammer next year and thank you soooo much for the wonderful vow renewal service - perfect !

David and Jeanette H
Calgary Alberta Canada

Room Tip: We loved the original villas - with ocean view :) Try the rum punch and the local traders in Windja...
1  Thank David H
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

We recently spent 10 days at Windjammer Landing and it was definitely the most beautiful island we had visited to date.
The island is green, lush and mountainous with an endless offering of activities and tours to suit all tastes.
The resort was fantastic, well maintained, amazing staff and beautifully situated on the northern end of the island.
From the moment we arrived, greeted with a run punch cocktail, the staff were quick to let us know we were on holiday and that everything would be looked after.
Many of the rooms and villas on the resort are situated across a fairly steep hillside but, if you don't feel like walking, they provide a very quick shuttle service we referred to as 'the elevator.' WIFI is free and available across the whole resort.
The food at all the restaurants on the resort is very well prepared and there is a wide range to choose from.
Some of the activities we enjoyed were the Jammers day sail, Snuba, snorkeling and Hobie Cat sailing. We would also highly recommend the Friday night street party at Gros Islet in Rodney Bay - a great mix of tourists and local people dancing, drinking and eating local Caribbean street food. It's only a 15 minute cab ride from the resort.
My only negative comments, and they are really minor, is that we did get asked several times if we wanted to take a villa/timeshare tour - we weren't interested but they do give you a credit of some sort to take part. Having been asked several times throughout the course of our time there, it did get a bit annoying but they try to ask in the least intrusive way possible. So really not a big deal.
The other thing was that the water was not very clear - at least not close to the resort and the time of year we went (mid November) so not ideal for diving or snorkeling. However, further south towards Soufriere and the Pitons the water seemed very clear.
All inclusive vs. not all inclusive: we chose not to do an all inclusive package simply because we thought we would be spending more time off resort. Because the resort is fairly secluded and walking off resort is not encouraged, we didn't spend much time away from the resort. However, in the end it worked out to be about the same price as the all inclusive would have been.
Overall a wonderful vacation. I can't emphasize enough how wonderful and friendly the staff were.
St. Lucia is the quintessential tropical island paradise and Windjammer Landing makes it the perfect island experience.
We would definitlely recommend it and will absolutely be back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank to_designer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!