“Honeymoon Trip”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Toronto, Canada
“Honeymoon Trip”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Great cove location. Amazing rooms, phenomenal food, excellent service. Little night life (no club or disco). No waves. Good variety of water sports and equipment. Nice beach. Would recommend renting a car and driving around. Also, you can walk to the main road (approx. 25 mins) and take public transportation for very cheap. Do not do this at night. You will walk by local residents. A lot of fun. Amazing drinks. Very peaceful and quiet. Not for party couples or for those wanting a party atmosphere. Very romantic.

Room Tip: Try to get a room close to the beach/bar if you like the beach. It's quite a walk up the steep h...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have just returned from our 5th visit to Windjammer, we meet up with our family who live in Canada for two weeks of quality time - they are timeshare owners. This is a great place, with all the villas having stunning view points, a safe beach and on the whole good service. We don't go 'all inclusive', but choose to have a rental car giving us independence and the ability to eat off resort. Over the years we have gradually seen a decline in the quality of food, menu's hardly change from one year to the next but prices have increased. Unless you don't want to venture offsite, like your booze then all inclusive may well suit you but we like to cook our own breakfasts ( great supermarkets only 15mins away for fresh fruit, bakery products and alcohol). We lunch at Jammers or Embers then eat dinner out at one of the many great restaurants in Rodney Bay.

Bug bears this trip included lots of niggling things including cold food ( chips and soup, yuck!), lack of menu choice, Upper Deck closed again, workman on the boardwalk every day, check out ( took an hour and a half this year, which is a record for me and this was even asking on three occasions for the bill to be adjusted prior to leaving.

Positives - the hammocks at the end of the beach. Ricky Charlemagne on the front desk for finally getting my bill sorted where others had completely failed, but also for making a genuine apology for his colleagues failings. Great housekeeping staff (big thank you to Joelle). Loved the Christmas lights. Loved meeting up with other timeshare owners that are now friends and seeing their children grow, spending time with my nephew once a year. The amazing sunsets.

Requests - a proper coffee bar! Been asking for this ever since we started visiting. A larger swimming area on the beach ( due to urchins at the north end). Keener prices in the restaurants may keep us on site in the evenings!

Room Tip: Estate villas are great, we stay in 407 usually, but 400 is a favourite along with 406.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank essexdevongirl
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I am at the Windjammer and have been here for 24 hours.

It is a beautiful resort, the views are stunning and so far the food is ok. I would not call the food 5 star, but the natural beauty is 5 star. The rooms are great. I am close the the spa and a nice pool and hottub.

When I arrived the safe in the room wasn't working and In fact it was replaced over the course of the day, that was great service.

Advice: book a helicopter from the airport - the drive is closer to two hours from the airport and it is a long and winding road. Not good for the car sick person or the weary traveller. The airport, upon arrival does not offer any drinks or food so pack something in your carry on. I think the Windjammer should arrange for helicopter transport, it would make the resort more appealing to return to. Either way, so far it was worth the drive, but I have booked a helicopter back!

The all inclusive is definitely the way to go because it is pricey. However, beware, you don't get an armband like traditional all inclusive resorts, you have to sign a receipt/bill every time you get a drink or meal. This gets really awkward when you are just looking for a bottle of water, do I give tips.....or are tips included in the all inclusive price? Perhaps someone will respond to this query from the Windjammer?

If you are looking for long walks on the beach .....this is not the place for you.

If you are looking for R&R this is the place for you.

If you are looking for some awesome day trips to Martinique or touring Saint Lucia in an open air jeep or catamaran, this is the place for you.

Be prepared to use the shuttle to the beach etc. from your room, it is a steep walk. Lucky for me I'm close enough to walk.

I had dinner at Poppa Dons this evening, it was just mediocre to me. I had dinner at Jammers last evening and it was divine!

It is a 4 star resort with some need for attention in the all inclusive world which in my mind would turn it into a 5 star resort!

I'm not sure yet if I will return.....I will report back after I have returned home and absorbed the week.

I hope this review is helpful to you. Happy travels!

Note: I have not yet used the Soa and therefore could not rate it.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a lovely view as far as I can see.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank LoriJean63
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Thank you for your comments. We chose to go with a check system as we have guests on a variety of meal plans. We find the majority of guests would prefer to not wear wristbands so our systems track your different food and beverage charges and properly allocate them to either a meal plan or to your room account. There is a service charge on the food and beverage charges. The service charge monies are then distributed to all staff members. Any additional gratuity to you choose to leave will go directly to the staff member who served you.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay; please let me know if there is anything we can do for you!

Warm regards,
Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Kirkwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Windjammer in Nov/Dec for our holiday. Beautiful location, views over the hills and sea amazing.

We stayed in a Ocean View Villa which was beautiful but we had to move because if very loud ignorant Americans next to us. The staff were great and moved us up to a Hibiscus suite which was fantastic.

The restaurants are fairly different but offer the same kind of food. Best restaurant for consistently great food was the Jammers. The Upper Deck was excellent, do try the tuna sashimi and the seared fillet steak, top class steak.

Papa Dons was ok. My wife ordered a pizza which quite frankly had an inedible base. We noticed a few people leaving their pizza. Surely for an Italian/Med style restaurant this should be easy??

The Embers on the other hand did a great lunchtime pizza properly handmade.

Dragonfly seemed to mainly do themed nights for food. Caribbean night was tasty, Texan night not so great. The breakfasts here are very good, especially the buffet where you can get freshly made omellets.

There is a huge range of alcoholuc drinks. The cocktails were amazing. Do try the Chairman's, 14x61, Big Banana and Mango Crush cocktails. Travis the barman in 96 degrees bar was the best.

Do go All Inclusive it is well worth it as the meals, drinks etc were very expensive.

A couple things that definately need addressed. Firstly the whole 'Ambassador' thing is a pointless waste of time. We were told that 'Esse' would contact us the day after arriving and be our personal contact for arranging tours, dinner reservations etc. Not once through the entire holiday were we contacted by her or even spoke with an Ambassador. It was easy to speak to reception and arrange things anyway. Just seemed silly offering this service and never following through with the promise.

Secondly - Timeshare. Sometime during your first day you will be approached by a timeshare rep offering a free tour or spa worth $100US, for a 1hr 30mins presentation. This was awful. It was an hour 30 mins of pressured hard selling by a woman called Lisa and her supposed Manager. Good cop bad cop type of selling. They used a whole load of tactics to try make us buy including showing pics of her children as we mentioned about starting a family. Yes it may be cheaper than other places and the Caribbean is a good investment. But it takes 3 flights to get to St Lucia that's why its expensive. Didn't matter how many times we said this they came up with some other sales angle. We were told at beginning that it wouldnt be pressured. In the end we were very uncomfortable and I angrily said we had enough, that it was not affordable. They.then answered well the Americans just buy straight away, the British always take time to think about it. The resort is heavily geared towards the Americans and Canadians.

We spoke to another British couple on the beach who also had a bad experience with the pressured timeshare selling. Don't be tempted by free tour offer its not worth the hassle.

It took a long time to get the bill sorted they had not credited us for the $100US incentive, suprise suprise and a few other things on bill were incorrect.

In general all the staff were very friendly. Travis, Shara, Sharon and Marcus Leon were excellent.

Recommended getting a private transfer from airport. Journey is fine and very scenic.

Overall we had a great holiday. We will go back to Windjammers. I would have given a 5* if it hadn't been for issues I mentioned.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ruggedadventurer
NY
Reviewed 10 December 2013

For the first time ever I went back to a hotel/resort I had previously stayed at. See my previous review here

The fact that we made a return visit shows how highly rated we thought this hotel was. This time we were travelling with our 21 month old and with baby #2 due in Feburary we wanted to make our last vacation for a while memorable, so we chose a reliable place.

Once again we stayed in the Hisbiscus Jacuzzi Suite. Our 21 month old stayed for free and the hotel provided a crib although it is only about the size of a pack and play so at 21 months old our daughter was almost a little too big for it.

Everything in the previous review is still accurate, some things that are better
- Whole hotel wired for WiFi now, and it's the fastest most reliable wi fi in any hotel I have stayed at.
- The food is about the same price, but it seems like the quality has gone up. All of our meals at the resort restaurants were excellent and I didn't feel I was paying a premium over prices at home this time. We did bring our own oats to make oatmeal for breakfast in the kitchen this time. We stopped at a supermarket on the way to the resort to buy milk and a few other things. We also bought fruit from a guy who pulls his boat up to the beach which saved us lunch on one day.
- We brought beach toys from home for our daughter but we need not have bothered, as there were plenty of previously used beach toys available in a big trunk on the beach.
- There were renovations at the upper deck restaurant when we were there but the resort offered a $100 credit up front on arrival.
- The beach now has a hammock area at the far end of the beach under the trees. This is awesome and so chilled out.
- Our airport driver Roger was a friendly and safe driver. We booked him directly for the return journey to the airport.

We almost certainly will visit this hotel again. The beach, facilities, room and friendliness and abundance of staff make this resort really top class.

Room Tip: Hibsicus Jacuzzi Suites have sticker shock for the price but they are really worth the extra money.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Edinburgh
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Spent a wonderful week in the Windjammer, their is something very special about this resort.
Did not walk past a member of staff that did not greet you with a good morning etc.
The restaurants are the best I have ever experienced on an All Inclusive holiday, Papa Dons was my favourite for food and atmosphere but the steaks in Upper Deck are amazing!!

We had an oceanview room 145b, rustic is how I would descibe it not basic, it wasn't wow factor stuff like I have had in similar standard resorts but I loved how authentic it was. Slight downside was we were above a generator that was extremely noisy and sent vibrations through the room, but this only occured on 2 evenings and the hotel were happy to move us if it continued.

The water sports were a plenty and again great staff.

Our last Caribbean trip was to Sandals in Antigua and although superior beach their, Sandals cannot hold a candle to the Windjammer for food, service and everything really!!

We travelled from the UK for 7 nights and was soooo worth it, you will love this place!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank henrik7Edinburgh
Port Perry, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Just returned from a one week stay at Windjammer Landing. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa with private plunge pool. This resort is made up of beautiful villas on a hillside overlooking the ocean and the capital city of Castries. Our villa #7 was beautiful. We had our own kitchen, dining and living room all in an open air setting. Our master suite upstairs had the most comfy bed and another private balcony overlooking the ocean.

We ate at all the restaurants. The food was better than we have had anywhere. They have a wonderful selection of food to choose from. Everything was prepared with care and tasted wonderful. The entertainment each day at Jammers was good and relaxing to listen to. The staff went out of their way to tend to any of our needs. Special shout out to Charlene at the front desk and Pamela at Serenity Spa.

We had an amazing time at Windjammers and look forward to our return visit.

Room Tip: Get a villa with private plunge pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 12 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,076 reviews

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!