“Resilience extraordinaire”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 30 December 2013

After an unforeseen storm which crippled a lot of the infrastructure on the Island, I have never seen a group of people work so hard to ensure we were comfortable.
Overall we are having a great vacation, lots of activities, great food and a staff who really catered to us.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Don S
Jacqueline J, French Market Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Hello Don S. Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you had a great vacation. All the best to you and your family.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,764)

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I didn't actually stay at the resort but went there on a Day Pass from the cruise ship I was travelling on round the Caribbean. I have to say our group of 20 or so mostly older British people were made to feel very welcome.

We managed to get a couple of hours on the beach before the inevitable downpour which sent the crowds scurrying to the restaurants which dealt with the rush pretty well and served up a perfectly acceptable lunch. After that, my partner took to the pool while I got talking to John and Sherani - I should have taken the job offer, guys !!

Anyway, John is the worst weather forecaster I have ever met but he knows his rum and the whole place has a wonderful relaxed vibe which I didn't find easy to leave. All in all, a great day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stodge168
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Booked this last minute (as per my usual).

Type of resort:
It was definitely a couples and family resort.
Got a few strange looks form the waiters when I told them I was dining alone, but after the first encounter, they just smiled. Do believe I was the only solo traveler there that week, but it did not matter. I chatted with other guests and the staff and before you know it, I was being invited to dine at dinner with various people. (It is what you make of it)

Location
Volcanic island, thus very small stretches of beach, however the one here at Windjammers is very nice. It is built on a slope, so it can be a workout, or if you take it slow a nice way of exercising. In any case, if not, the shuttles are very efficient.

Rooms
I had a regular room (ocean view room) which was part of a duplex. It was fine, though I would have appreciated a desk to put my laptop on. Internet connection worked well in my room
The room at the bottom had a patio that gave right off of their room. I had the room on the second floor. I had to walk up the stairs for a roof sundeck terrace. The view was beautiful and it was very private. I really enjoyed it.
The only thing that I found unnerving at first was that these two room also connected via another stairwell in my room, that only had a door at the bottom of it. Locked with a non-existent key. The sound insulation was not very good. I could hear the guy downstairs no problem. Would be reassuring to also have a door at the top of the stairs which you can lock yourself.

Food / AI billing
The food was excellent at the Upper Deck and Poppa Dom's, and good at the other restaurants.
The billing at first was a little confusing as I was in the All Inclusive, but I asked the first waitress and she was kind enough to explain it to me. There is a service charge included already, and if you want to tip more, than that is the only thing that appears on your bill at check-out. No issues at check-out with the billing.

Staff
I found the staff very friendly and always trying to be helpful. By all means, sometimes you can tell they are having a bad day, but does that not happen to all of us? BIg shout goes out to Julia and Samantha at Poppa Dom's, Winston at the activities area, Randy at breakfast and Ernst at the bar.

SpA
Because there was construction going on (which did not disturb me at all, unless you wanted to sleep in really late), they hotel offered us credit which we are able to use at the SpA. I had a divine deep-tissue massage. not one of those fluffy things, thus was very satisfied. This was a nice gesture during construction.

Activities
I am a diver thus was out diving 4 days with the local company on-site "Eastern Caribbean Divers" (see separate review) and would recommend them.
The big inflatable chair ride they give at the end of the day (Big Bubba) is a hoot. They will also take you out water-skiing and knee boarding which was good.

Overall beautiful resort. I would recommend it for couples and families.

Room Tip: If you want a private sundeck and view, ask for the top duplex "oceanview" rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
11  Thank Swiss_Canuck
Reviewed 27 December 2013

First off, I would like to send my regards in relation to the horrible storm St Lucia and the surrounding islands suffered through a few days ago. It is truly a great place with great people and I hope their recovery is quick and smooth.

We stayed at the Windjammer during the first phase of our honeymoon from November 25 to December 1. The staff was absolutely fantastic and very helpful with organizing dinner, tours and water sports. As a nice honeymoon surprise, we received a plateful of chocolates and were upgraded to a two bedroom villa with a fantastic view of the Caribbean sunset and a private pool.

We took the horseback riding tour at the International Pony Club, which took us from Gros Islet down INTO the Atlantic Ocean; went on a beautiful sunset cruise from the resort up to the Gros Islet/Pigeon Island area; and took on an abundance of water sports (jet skiing, water skiing, kayaking, paddle boating and snorkeling). The snorkeling in particular is worth elaborating on. We had never been snorkeling before so we went on both the 11am and 2pm tours, and were not disappointed. Both trips took us to secluded coves that were littered with schools of fish, sea urchins and even a conch shell graveyard. Really fantastic.

The food is about what you would expect out of an all inclusive resort. Nothing spectacular but nothing to complain about (Papa Don's and Upper Deck are the best). The drinks at the beach hut and pool bar, however, were filled with a generous amount of alcohol. A few daiquiris on the sandy beach definitely reek of paradise. Nightly entertainment was also great with a few nice bands, resort happy hours and a limbo/fire dance show. We were also able to go up to the spa for a great couples massage.

The one negative is that you need to take a shuttle bus to a lot of the rooms/villas unless you want to get in some exercise. We had about a five minute walk to our villa up a pretty steep hill so we rarely took the shuttle, but the few times we did went off without a hitch.

Overall, this was a fantastic resort that I would definitely recommend to anyone staying in the Castries or Gros Islet area.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jeff V

Ok
Been home a week from our 10 day stay in st lucia. The island is beautiful but do not recommend renting a car. I rent one every where but this place scared the crap out of me. Roads are small and the locals dive like nuts. I am honestly shocked I did not damage the rental during our stay and had at least 20 close calls in the 273 miles we put on the car in 10 days. Now for the hotel. Although pretty nice place to stay we encountered a few problems. First room flooded night 3 not with rain but sewer. Second room was really good but got moved the next morning for the remainder of our stay. Same building same exact room but. The bathroom leaked badly and had a huge mold problem and the ice machine in the fridge did not work both items reported to hotel and never fixed. Towels were put down daily for the water leak and we were given ice by the staff to put in the freezer. By the time the ice was brought to the room melting. So you put it in the freezer and all stuck together by re freezing. This property is not cheap a fridge should work. They also offer the use of sea kayaks but look out for the large attendant working the counter will get. Quite mad at you if she thinks you deserve it. I went fishing for 4 hours and had the snorkel boat (also by the lodge) pass me an hour and a half into the excursion and not a word. But I will tell you when I turned in the boat she gave me an ear full. I finally said to her I am a grown man and will not be talked to like this. Left and never went back. There are much better and more cost efficient islands to visit than this one. The taxes are over the top and the costs unbelievable. Most lunches in town averaged $50 us with no drinks just ice tea. No free refills on the ice tea $5 per drink. Cocktails $10 per
We had pizza and 2 wines for $94
If you go be ready to spend a fair amount. High point pigeon island for $6 was pretty cool a lot of history about 2 1/2 hours for the walk and reading the signs. Look it up on Google for more info.

We did not get the vacation we would like so are booked to go back to cabo 1/23/2014 an awesome vacation for 1/3 the money and better food. Great roads and the most amazing fishing I have found. And yes we will be doing the Cabo wobble!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cabowobble
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Everything is perfect unless a request is made from a villa to sort something out. I was there the first week in December. My phone connection in room was unreliable and needed fixing. After numerous requests to have it fixed I just gave up asking. Also numerous requests were made For the bottle of complementary drinking water on my arrival I was very thirsty and had to wait over an hour.

I have been to Windjammer on many occasions And the beauty of the resort and the island has to be seen to be believed.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank amaretto1809
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

We have been here on vacation since the 12th December. Christmas Eve, the Island experienced one of the worst rainstorms in history - at least two bridges washed away and the airport closed due to flood damage, 5 killed. Dispute this, the restaurants served us really good food in candlelight, and on Xmas day everything was open for breakfast and Xmas dinner as usual. The staff we friendly and kind through out, even though we new several had not made it home even overnight!

We would totally recommend the hotel to anyone, spacious villas with views to write home about

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Ukgrah
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Villa Beach Cottages
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!