“Elegance and more” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Elegance and more”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Our glorious stay at Windjammer did not begin on day one. We had booked a suite, and prior to arrival I phoned the resort to insure that it could be equipped with two beds. My friend and I are a platonic couple traveling together, and have never experienced a problem requesting two beds. This was pretty unheard of at Windjammer, and first we were offered a downgraded room, with no kitchen (even though our confirmation clearly stated we would have a full kitchen.) Then we were offered a roll away bed, which seemed a little too "college days" for us. Eventually we were equipped with a real single bed in addition to the king in the bedroom. While the sofa bed in the living room could have been considered a bed, the rolling, open-lattice wall concept would have left the sofa bed sleeper exposed to mosquitos and no air conditioning. If you have separate bed requirements, make clear negotiations first! As others have mentioned, check-in could be done better. I hated wasting these hours.

Once the bed madness was solved, we settled in to enjoy the beauty and service Windjammer does so well. This huge resort is well run and pays close attention to details. Many perks are offered to guest including daily snorkel trips, kayaks, paddleboats, fitness classes, and games to name a few. Do expect many well behaved cats in all the restaurants, and birds in the dining rooms and in your kitchen and living room, and the many big frogs might keep you hopping too! The resort did a very intimidating bug fogging three times a week, which kept the biting bugs in check, but if you are sensitive, like I am, come prepared with your own sprays and coils.

The villas was gorgeous, spacious and overall in good repair. It gave much more of an apartment feel than an average hotel room. There was a lovely patio with an unbeatable view, a dining table, as well as a sofa, chairs and barstools, full kitchen and refrigerator. The open air concept in the bathroom was fun, but helped the mosquitos find their pesky way into the bedroom! The bedroom provided an air conditioner which was most welcome throughout the day. The friendly staff is always ready to offer services and are quite helpful.

A couple of times our dinner reservations (which were required for some of the restaurants) were lost and while we were "seated anyway," it was kind of odd...maybe confirmation cards could be issued when reservations are made; I felt like we were trying to sneak into dinner, even though we were on the all inclusive plan, and had made reservations. I also really thought it would be helpful to have open and closing times of the restaurants and shops, along with menus in the rooms.

I loved our villa and so many other things about Windjammer Landing, I would not hesitate to return. So much was perfect about our stay, the minuses fade quickly. It is was a treat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Shannon L
Jacqueline J, Guest Relations Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear Silverladysanta

Thank you for taking the time to write a good review. I apologize for hiccups you experienced ad we are trying our utmost to work on those points so that they all will be rectified on your next visit. I do hope that you will return one day!

Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (740)
Apopka, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We are a time share owner in Villa 407 for many years and each time we visit it's like coming home. We love the staff, they are so accommodating to your every need! When dining on property the selection, quality and service is outstanding. Always something to do, whether it's water sports, nightly entertainment or enjoyng the gym and water aerobics with Stacey and Manasa. I highly recommend Windjammer Landing for your next get-away!

Room Tip: There is no bad room :-)
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy V
Jacqueline J, Guest Relations Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Kathy V

Thank you for your review! I am happy that you always happy when you come back home! We will continue to do our very best to make you feel happy whenever you visit us. We look forward to your return!

Best wishes,
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My wife and I visited windjammers for our honeymoon in March, and it was a decent experience. First off the entire island is expensive, including the hotel. The views are majestic and really made up for the food. We stayed in the Hibiscus suite and it was quite comfortable, but the older suites higher up on the mountain (and spa) are quite musty, and are in dire need of a renovation, so avoid the latter if you value comfort.
The food on the entire island was a terrible. Everything is imported and stale, turnover is low, small portions, restaurant hours are horrible, unfortunately this includes this resort. Papa Dons is the best restaurant, but nothing to write home about being for people with real taste buds. We spent $150 on dinner on our first night, but we were still hungry, the portions were ridiculous.
The staff were very professional, welcoming, and helpful and this also made up for the bad food. Overall it was a nice experience minus the food, and the expensive nature of the country. I would not visit that island again, but I would recommend windjammers as it is the best hotel on the island. For $450-$600/night I would say it is severely overpriced as is the entire island.

Room Tip: Hibiscus suites all the way they were built in 2002(or around there) and are still modern
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Omar M
WJLMD, General Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Omar: I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay in Saint Lucia. I do appreciate the nice comments about our terrific staff.

Mark Ozawa
Managing Director
mark.ozawa@windjammer-landing.com
Newport, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a one bed villa which was lovely. It was decorated in a rustic style and it also had its own sun patio. The view from our room was fab! We were on a room only basis but found the 5 restaurants on site expensive and the menus repetitive. Drinks were also expensive. We enjoyed getting off the site and going into Rodney Bay where the prices were much lower and the quality of restaurants very good. All in all this is a very nice site and the staff were very warm and friendly. For example our air con was fixed immediately and nothing seemed too much trouble. The minus point would be its location which is off the beaten track a bit and will add to the cost of your holiday in taxi fares.

If you are not into all inclusive and like to go off and explore you would be better off getting a hotel in Rodney Bay which has everything you need and is the most exclusive part of St Lucia. If we come back to St Lucia that's what we would do..

Room Tip: Most villas are on a steep hillside so not suitable for the elderly or disabled.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Gary W

Thank you for your review. I am glad that you dd like our hotel and the great views!

England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

We stayed at Windjammer during the second week of June and are regular visitors who have timeshare there. What can I say. WELL DONE WJL! Our villa was in good condition and a minor problem with the pool was sorted within the hour. Our Ambassador, Tasha, would call us every day to check everything was ok. There was a minor miscommunication re a request from me for a morning housekeeping visit prior to a "Football TV" party with good friends that was taking place in the afternoon.I gave a days notice but noone showed up. This was rectified very quickly by Michelle in Housekeeping who sent 3 housekeepers up at once who cleaned the place in half an hour flat. Were left sparkling and polished! Thanks very much Michelle and team. Our regular housekeeper, Mathilde was excellent and so were the ladies who worked on her day off.

Charlene at the front desk also deserves a mention for her personable service and willingness to help with a very genuine attitude.

No problems with the electronic key system this time. The locks worked smoothly and security generally was good. I was also pleased that the shuttle drivers would wait to make sure we could get into the villa.

Jammers Bar was great as usual and I love the lunchtime menu. Big round of applause to the new Sri Lankan chef, Dulish, who made us a special chicken curry which was lovely. We were introduced to him by the legendary John Maycock, current GM, as Sri Lanka and England were down to the last wicket of a very tightly contested match (showing in Jammers)! He will be a brilliant addition to Chef Munn's team.

Barry at the Bar continued to give great service and makes a killer Bloody Mary. Barry I owe you a big tip!

Shuttle drivers were all friendly but, in a busy week, there were not enough of them. So we were late for appts on a few occasions which was frustrating.

Some minor frustrations;
Upper Deck service was very slow. The food was very good but the service, although friendly was disorganised. Offering a cocktail after the first course was served and no water. hmmm...

The Lobby. Always busy with massive amounts of luggage and people checking in and out. Not the relaxing checkin one would expect. There must be a better way.

Drinks and food in the shuttles. There is a polite notice about this. Please guests, Just don't! It is horrible to be dressed for dinner and have some person spilling their rum punch etc over you in the shuttle...Also please don't allow guests to blast their own choice of music through their own speakers around the pool to the detriment of everyone's ears. This was eventually stopped after complaints from a number of guests, but should have been dealt with more promptly.

Front Desk. The overworked staff here have to deal with check in, check out, dinner bookings, people requesting information etc whilst trying to answer the phone too. This should be split with a dedicated person handling small everyday requests and questions, and a separate checkin checkout service.

Just some small suggestions!

Overall though, an excellent stay and experience this time. Thanks again Windjammer. :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank St-Lucia_Enthusiast
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Me, my Husband and my Daughter (16yrs) have recently returned from a week in this wonderful resort. From the moment we arrived to the moment we left we couldn't have been happier or treated any better. We had a villa (145AB) which had two separate floors so my daughter had her own bedroom and balcony but was connected to us by stairs. The views from this appartment were amazing, looking over the sea. We would walk down to breakfast and back up again but come late afternoon we got a bit lazy and used the shuttle bus to get back to our room. The shuttles run very frequently but it would be nice if the drivers had a smile and a bit of banter for you (as all the other staff seem to) There are several different pools which are always kept clean but we preffered to sit at the main one by the bar so we could get cold drinks during the day. The one which is up by Papa Dons restaurant doesn't have a bar. I would make a suggestion that maybe there could be a couple of parasols by the beds next to the main pool, I know there were some if you were sitting at tables but sometimes you also need a little bit of shade if you want an afternoon snooze in the sun :)
I can't complain about the food in any of the restaurants, it was all amazing and waiting staff are always friendly and polite. My daughter persuaded me to do the 'Tubes' at the Watersports centre. What a blast! I'm terrified of the sea but as long as you hold on tight you should be okay ... not like my daughter who kept throwing her hands in the air and whooping and went flying off !!!
I just have some mentions to the wonderful bar staff at Jammers Bar - Ernest, Ronnie,Jn.Nil(but should be a comma), the lovely Barry with his great knowledge of cocktails and shooters and not forgetting Ryan (who organised me a massive party for my Birthday with dancers and drinks but he did forget the balloons ....... or maybe it was the Managers Cocktail party and he just duped me lol)
Hats off to the management at this resort as you have a fantastic array of staff and a wonderful complex, we cannot wait to come back again.

Room Tip: Our room was 145AB (as we had both appartments) this over looked the sea to the right of the resort...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bev H
Hello Bev H

Wow! What a lovely review; thank you so much! I am pleased as punch to hear that your family had a wonderful time with us! We do our utmost to make sure that clients are happy when they are so far away from home. Of course, I will tell Ronnie, Jn Nil, Barry and Ryan of your kind mention. Please visit us again one day if you can and tell everyone you know about us.

Best wishes to you and your family,
Swanage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

Have been visiting since 2002 and the resort continues to provide the perfect combination of great, friendly staff, first class accommodation, good food, wine list and beverages and an abundance of activities both on and off the resort, the sunset cruise is a must.
It is a great place to " unwind" and is perfect for couples, families or singles.
It provides a very safe environment for kids, and clubs for them to enjoy.
Windjammer is extremely well managed, who provide a warm and sincere welcome to all.

Room Tip: Windjammer has a good range of rooms, Hibiscus is great for smaller parties and is in walking distan...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear dunbarwhite

Thank you for your nice review! And, thank you for continuing to visit us. You are now family! I know that you will recommend us to your family and friends. I hope to see you soon!

Best regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,003 reviews
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!