“Outstanding!”

Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We can't say enough positive things about the windjammer. From the time we arrived when we were greeted with cool towels and a rum punch to our easy checkout it was just divine. Check-in was a dream where they allow you to rest in the lobby couches as they handle your paperwork, provide you with cocktails and introduce themselves. They then quickly take you to your room and ensure you are settled in. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa and I must admit I was skeptical of the "open air" concept however, it was extremely comfortable. The bedrooms are air-conditioned so you sleep comfortably but the rest of the villa has beautiful breezes coming through from the ocean. The views are spectacular and the villas are so spacious you will want to move in permanently! Our suite was gorgeous with a great caribbean feel and decor. Full kitchens with all modern amentities so you are able to cook in the suite should you prefer. Our children absolutely loved the plunge pool and would start and end their day in it. I don't agree with the other reviews about bug problems - we had no issues with this at all. We did turnout lights off before leaving for dinner so perhaps that helped.

The beach is beautiful and there was never a problem getting chairs or towels. A few days into our trip, we realized that we could order lunch at the beach restaurant and they would deliver it to you on the beach. When I asked about this, one of the employees said, "of course we'll deliver it to you - you're on vacation!". Wow ...again, we were never made to feel that any of our requests were too big!

We were also unsure whether we would like staying so far up on a hill as we usually stay at resorts where we are directly on the beach however, the shuttle buses would be at your door within minutes of calling them so their was no inconvenience whatsoever. I did walk to the main lobby on a few occasions and yes, it is quite steep, but if you are feeling sporty, then it's a good workout! It's only about a 5 minute walk and quite scenic.

The staff is exceptional. Everyone we met was very friendly and helpful. Unlike other resorts, they do not provide you with less service if you do not tip every time. We have stayed at other resorts where if you are not holding money out at the bar, you will be ignored, this is not the case with the windjammer. When we spoke to employees, many of them had been at the windjammer for at least 5 years. I think this longer service speaks to the fact that management treats their employees well and, as a result, this is reflected in how the staff treats the guests. A few employees deserve to be mentioned. Althebert ("Rocket") , a groundskeeper, was a real delight. We met him one morning and happened to mention to him that we loved mangos. When we returned from the beach that day, he had cut down 12 mangos for us to enjoy! Oustanding! Jeannette, a waitress in Upper Deck, was also lovely. Her warm smile and exceptional service made us return to Upper deck just to be served by her. Nona as well at the beach bar was terrific - she handled multiple daily requests from our children for fruit punches and always did so with a smile! John, the General manager, was a real class act. He was extremely visible and interacted daily with the guests, always remebering everyones' names and ensuring they were happy. We loved meeting him and hearing some of the history about the resort.

The food at all the restaurants is top notch and you will not be disappointed. We sampled all the restaurants but upper deck and jammers were our favourites as they are directly on the ocean and open air so you see and hear the beautiful ocean. We did the all inclusive option and I would recommend this as the prices can be expensive if you are paying al carte. The tap water is drinkable which a nice change from many Caribbean resorts, however, they provide you with huge bottles of water if you prefer. There is a mini-store on the resort so you can purchase snacks and beverages for your room.

They keep the grounds beautiful with lovely flowers and well-maintained, clean public areas. Yes there are stray cats on the resort but, honestly, they are adorable and don't bother you if you don't want them to. If you feed them, then yes, they will hang around your feet but if you don't, then they quickly move on! Honestly though, we loved seeing the kittens and thought it was a nice touch to the "homey" feeling at the resort.

This is not a "loud" resort with tons of nightlife which is exactly what we were looking for! If you want a resort with a casino, a nightclub and extragavant nightly shows, the windjammer is not your place. We loved that it was not the "big party" that we have experienced at other all-inclusives. They have a different nightly local band that usually ends at around 11:00 pm and that was perfect for us. There was some dancing but it was not a rowdy bunch. Our kids would swim in the pool while we listened to music and enjoyed a nightcap poolside. It was perfect.

Our only issue was our housekeeping services. We would often have to call to receive towels - there were some days when we had none. And our toiletries were not replenished, which after a day at beach, is very much needed. However, these were minor inconveniences that we could overlook because everything else was outstanding!

We were so sorry to leave at the end of our trip but we are thrilled that we have finally found such a gorgeous resort that treats their guests well and provides such phenomal service. I hope this never changes as we are already planning our return trip for year! Thank you Windjammer for such a wonderful family vacation ... Everything was top-notch!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Julia B
Jacqueline J, Guest Relations Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Hello Julia B

Such a lovely review! Thank you for taking the time to write it! I am happy that you had an outstanding vacation with us. Thank you for very positive comments about 'Rocket", Jeanette, Nona and our John, our General Manager. We have a great team and most of our repeat guests say the friendliness of our staff is the number one reason for their return. I will be sure tell the staff of your kind mention. I look forward to welcoming you back; if you need any help in planning your return trip I will be happy to assist.

Warm regards to you and your family,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
Ottawa
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This review is long overdue.
We spent two weeks at Windjammer this last May. It was our ninth trip to the resort which is a lot to say for us as we rarely stay anywhere twice, but Windjammer feels like an annual trip back home.
This last year we stayed in villa 415, with a beautiful view of the hills at Castries. We stayed with our grown boys and one of their girlfriends and there was lots of room for everyone. The pool, the view, the patio area are the highlights of this style of villa. The villa has all you could need and if you are missing something just ask and they usually find it. Some of the furniture is well worn but it's clean, cozy and comfortable. Maid service was great.
We have always enjoyed the food at Papa Don's and Jammers and usually ended up eating there when we dine on the resort. Also, the pizzas from the Beach bar are delicious. We like to cook and the grocery stores are always a bit of an adventure and it's only a short cab ride into Rodney Bay.
This year my boys and I organized a little surprise for their dad as we celebrated a vow renewal on the occasion of our 26th wedding anniversary. I cannot say enough about Melanie and her staff and how well, quickly and secretly they put everything together. The scenery of course was perfect. The gorgeous balcony was covered in bougainvilleas with an arch built of palms of the same. My bouquet, the boutonnieres and corsages were lovely. We celebrated with bubbly, canapes and a delicious coconut wedding cake. Later in the evening we ordered pizzas up from the beach and dined on the balcony still in full decoration.
Melanie handled all of the arrangements via e mail and a few clandestine meetings we had prior to the occasion. She was as excited about the surprise as we were and when my husband finally arrived had him suited up and ready to go just in time for the minister to arrive and the music to start. We had very little time to rehearse anything but a few quick chats and some directions to the boys and we were ready. It was a tiny ceremony with just six guests and one of our good friends from the resort but it was everything you could have ever wanted in such an occasion.
The price of the wedding all in was very reasonable and included was a nice breakfast for us served to our room. Also, I highly recommend the photographer, Tony. After seeing his beautiful pictures, I couldn't believe I had considered doing this without him. His prices were also very reasonable.
We really enjoy the trip to the Windjammer every year. Almost everyone you see there has a smile on their faces, from the bartenders to the shuttle drivers and the wait staff. When you get off that bus the first day and they settle you in with a nice cool towel and a rum punch, ( and quite often a hug) you feel relaxed immediately.
This last year was particularly special and we are so grateful for the day and the memories.

Room Tip: The higher you go, the more beautiful the view but all in all it's quite picturesque everywhere.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lee-Anne
Jacqueline J, Guest Relations Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Hello Lee-Anne

Thanks a million for coming back to our wonderful Resort, your home away from home! And nine times...what an honor! We really do appreciate that you continue to visit us when there are lots of other places you could visit. I am happy you enjoyed your trip yet again and this one was extra special! Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review.

Congratulations on your 26th wedding anniversary. I am pleased that Melanie and the staff made it very special for you. They are best there is! I will let them know how happy you were with them!

We hope to see you again!

Best wishes to you and your family,
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Beautiful location, friendly and helpful staff, you can stay on the resort or take the trips out, A must do is the catamaran trip and the botanical gardens, bar food good and filling, Papa Doms Upper Deck and Dragon Fly a bit different - had my best steak ever in the fish restaurant!!
Some of the friendliest people you would ever wish to meet

Room Tip: All rooms or villas have stunning views and face south/south west
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Jacqueline J, Guest Relations Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Hello Andrew M

Many thanks for your review! We are the very best indeed! Come back again to have another great steak at the nicest place you've ever been; our Chef is waiting for you! Please recommend us to your family and friends. We hope to see you soon!

Best wishes,
Berkshire
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We had 2 weeks all-inclusive in Villa 2 the first 2 weeks of August 2014 - family of four with boys aged 14 and 12. First time outside Europe for the boys - I had a good year so thought we'd treat ourselves & got a great deal in the BA Jan sale.

Overall it is a great place to go AI with active hungry thirsty kids (and adults!) Breakfast buffet was plentiful - by the end of the second week it was more fruit than bacon for me - but the freshly cooked to order omlettes were fabulous. Four different restaurants for dinner - Papa Dons and Upper Deck are great but Jammers became the favourite.

A real bonus is the free on-site watersports with modern & plentiful equipment and fantastic staff. Snorkelling trips were great and learning to sail the hobeykat was a highlight of the holiday for me.

We loved our villa (no.2) - the bathrooms are a bit tired (please get rid of shower curtains!) and there are gaps around the windows (making mosquito nets vital) - but it was huge (on 3 levels), well equipped, breathtaking view, quiet and a brisk walk to the pool/restaurants.

Most of the staff are great - stars were Valerie in Jammers, Charlene on reception (and all of the watersports team). John (Manager) was always on hand to stop and chat. But the waitresses in breakfast just didn't want to be there and we had the odd dinner which had poor service. And the bar staff had to queue up to key in our drinks order on one computer terminal - so it took too long to get served - get another terminal in the bar!

The boys spent most of the second week playing on the inflatable trampoline/plank in the sea off the beach and had a great time. Lots of other young teens around & lots for them to do.

Summary - great place to go - yes it rains, service can be patchy and bathrooms need to be upgraded - but we'll be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MesoMike
Hello MesoMike

Thank you for your review. I am happy that you and your family had a fabulous holiday! Thank you for your kind mention of Valerie and Charlene; I certainly will inform them. I'm glad you'll be returning! I will be delighted to help you with all of your arrangements when you are ready. We look forward to welcoming you again..

Best wishes to you and your family,
New Milford, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We went here for a late honeymoon. Pros: beautiful view,nice beach. The day sail to the pitons was beautiful. Cons: lots of stray cats. They looked skinny and would beg for food. Lots of kittens too. The food was very expensive and the menus were limited. The buffets at dragonflies was gross. The breakfast buffet was also not good and very expensive. We found going out to rodney bay had better meals but the 30 dollar taxi ride was a bit much. They need more restaurants because we didn't get in to everything we wanted. The women at the spa were rude and it was not a good massage. The swimming area was very small due to sea urchins. Also it was quite gross to have mosquitos in your food and drinks.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Katie K
nyc
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Attended/worked a wedding here. Incredible view of the island from most of the rooms.

Great size for a 1 bed room, including a full kitchen and hot tub on the balcony.

The staff is incredible! Always helpful and informative. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: A room facing the island into the ocean is incredible at night.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank oblivi
Jacqueline J, Guest Relations Manager at Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Hello oblivi

Thank you for your review and many thanks for the lovely comments! Come back as soon as you can; we would be happy to welcome you! If you need any help in planning your trip, I am at your disposal.

Best regards,
Englewood, Colorado
Reviewed 22 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the WJL for our honeymoon for two weeks from July 15 - July 30. There were highlights and lowlights but overall, now that we've been back for a month, all that stands out in our mind is how much fun we had.

I'll start with the low, just to get it out of the way. The service. Not the worst we've had in the Caribbean and quite possibly even the best we've had in the Caribbean. That being said, it's a cultural thing. I live on US time so for lunch to take almost 3 hours because our server is standing at the bar chatting and I'm missing out on precious beach time...big miss. Same for dinner and breakfast. There were times we waited over 30 minutes for water and times we didn't have a desert menu by 11pm, which was 1am by our normal schedule. But this wasn't a constant problem but definitely a reoccurring one. Also, If you don't want the buffet for breakfast and order off the menu (which was the only way to get a bagel with lox or eggs benny) then be prepared for a 45 minute wait for your poached eggs. The only other down side was maybe bugs in the room but we were in a rain forest so I can't fault the resort for this.

The positives: The resort staff was always friendly. We were stuck on the tarmac in Miami for an hour and a half before taking off and arrived to find that our luggage was still in Miami. And then had an hour and a half drive to the resort...we were a little grumpy. But Essie and Lawrence were amazing. Even though we were almost 3 hours late for our check in, they had watched our flight schedule and were still waiting for us. I thought that if I don't get my rum punch and cold towel now I might cry, but both were there waiting for us. THANK YOU! Such a little thing meant so much. Next was the crowd at the Windjammer. We made so many friends, and we are pretty "keep to yourself" quiet people. It was a great mix of regulars, families, and honeymooners that you really felt like you were at a club style resort instead of just a holiday. We hope to run into many of these people again in the world. We also rented a car and visited several resorts for lunch while on the island and no other resort had the same feel as the Windjammer. After our boat trip to Martinique (separate excursion), we took a bus back to the hotel with a group of other couples mostly staying at the Sandals and we were dropped off first due to location, but the ooohs and ahhhs coming from the rest of the group made us feel really good about our resort choice. And, after such a long tiring day, we were greeted out of the van again by Lawrence who knew our name and asked about our adventure. I bet they didn't get the same treatment at the Sandals which house a thousand people at a time. We never had to fight for a lounger on the beach, the water sports team were great, the food was always tasty even though we had to wait for it. One tip: always order your steak a temp under what you prefer. When it rained they had rainy day activities set up like bingo. The drinks were pretty much anything you wanted and however you wanted them (I like my mimosas with a splash of OJ). The "serenity spa" gave us a great massage but St. Lucians are loud and proud so though a great massage, not much serenity. Dianna gave me a great mani/pedi before I flew out. Pamela is so sweet and you have to go see these ladies!

Overall, we hope to return with a family some day. Beautiful resort, close to other shopping and dining and for the price, totally worth it.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs for the tree frogs!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank colorado_travel_bug1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!