“Amazing Vacation - Couldn't have asked for more from the Windjammer!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 12 December 2009

I traveled to the Windjammer with my boyfriend and another couple. We had a beautiful villa with an amazing pool and view. The staff and service were impeccable. We had thought it may be a problem that it was necessary to take a shuttle everywhere but the shuttles were always at the door within 5 minutes of calling for one. We had looked up a ton of different hotels before deciding on the Windjammer. There is a small grocery store at the main part of the resort where we stocked up on some snacks and drinks. We also went to restaurants in Rodney Bay. It was worth taking the cab to go to the restaurants. We also loved Papa Dons. Stop browsing trip advisor and book the Windjammer now!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank rolchik

Reviewed 11 December 2009

I stayed at the Windjammer Landing as a group of two couples - reserved through a timeshare. We had a two BR villa at the very top of the mountain where the resort is built. The panoramic views of the ocean were amazing; the way the villa was situated we could only see lush vegetation around the building and nothing else, so it was very private. The villa was beautiful, and we most of all enjoyed the swimming pool on the villa patio. We spent more time at the villa sitting by the pool than on the beach! The staff was very friendly and helpful.

The free use of the resort catamaran was also a big perk. I wouldn't recommend the resort sponsored snorkeling trip, though. They take you out on small boats, and there is pretty much nothing to see in the water; everything is dead where they take snorkelers.

It can be challenging to find the hotel if you are arriving at night - the signage on the main road is very small. On arrival, guests are treated to a tropical cocktail, which was a nice touch. I was worried before arriving that the shuttle service would be inconvenient, but during our stay in June we had no problem at all and the service was very prompt. The food and drinks at the little restaurant right on the beach were OK, but nothing to speak too highly of.

Overall, the Windjammer Landing is a wonderful place to stay, especially with the very cleanly, beautiful accommodations. For those people who want to see the true culture of the island, you will not find it here. I would highly recommend renting a car to see the island itself. The staff recommends the Coal Pot as an 'authentic' good restaurant in the area, but I would avoid it. It's way over priced, and it doesn't have much local appeal. There is also a road nearby with lots of restaurants (Indian, Chinese, etc.), which are good but also obviously not authentic. I would try heading some places on the south side of the island to get the real flavor of the people and culture - check out the Anse La Raye Friday Fish Fry.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sonja87
Reviewed 9 December 2009

There can't be a better place than Windjammer to spend my honeymoon. On our first trip to the Caribbean, my wife and I had a wonderful trip. The staff at Windjammer are very friendly and always take time to answer questions. A number of amenities and activities come included which are perfect if you want a more sedate experience and then suddenly want to go do something. But on days we wanted more activity, we had boat cruises, snorkeling and scuba diving and hiking excursions all coordinated by the staff with very little effort on our part. The food at all restaurants was good but Papa Don's was my best meal and David is an incredible server. Request his section if you go. My wife's favorite restaurant was Dragonfly which also has very good food. The hamburgers at the restaurant near the bar, Jammers I think, are very good according to my wife. Having ice cream on the beach at all hours of the day and a bar on the beach is very handy. We never had to wait long for the shuttles from our hillside villa and had a fantastic view from our plunge pool and any of the three levels of our villa. It was truly beautiful there and everything I'd heard good about the Caribbean. FYI, we visited other destination resorts as part of our honeymoon while we were on excursions and activities and never regretted picking Windjammer. It has a good blend of families and honeymooners and older couples that create a wonderful but real feel of pleasant life with others staying at the resort rather than an insular or singular feel when you only have couples.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Westboundtrvlr
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We traded our RCI Timeshare into the Windjammer and this resort is top-notch. I can see why Conde Nest Johansens ranked this in their 2010 best resorts.

The suites are wonderful and they exude tropical elegance. The staff is extremely friendly, honestly they are nicest people of any place I've visted, and I've been to many Caribbean islands resorts.

The views are breathtaking, the beach is quiet, the pools are outstanding, and some units have private plunge pools. We had one 1 bedroom viillas, which was great, we had an AC in the bedroom, but the living room/Kitchen were open-air. The new units are all indoor and have granite countertops.

Some people complain about the hills and the the wait for shuttles from your room to the main pool/beach area. I would say the longest we waited was 5 minutes and a few times we called we weren't even down the stairs before the shuttle arrived. I

We meet family after family that own here and they return year-after-year and I can see why. My kids (2 & 4) loved it, especially the kids club, the trampoline and slide in the ocean, and that they could lift a flag down at the beach and a server would arrive to deliver them tropical drinks (non-alcoholic) food and Ice Cream. Yes, their Alcholic drinks were tasty too.

Speaking of food and booze, the restaurant's were great,--especially Dragon-Fly. The spa services were terrific, me and my wife both got Massages. They also had most services discounted 30% while we were there, can you say--Bonus!

I can't think of many negative things to say about the resort. My only complaints are as follows:

1) The fact that they charged us a $180 utility surcharge was a little annoying, but many Caribbean resorts do this;

2 ) If you are handicap this resort probably isn't for you;

3) If you don't like birds then the open aired unit might not be for your. Those birds have no fear, at one point, a bird tried to take a cracker out of my 2 year olds hand

All in all, I highly recommend this resort to families, honeymooners or couples and we are actually thinking about buying here ourselves.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank zpalm
Reviewed 3 December 2009

I stayed at Windjammer landing with my wife, two very young children and my wifes parents last week, and I can do nothing but praise this resort for their level of service, standard of accomodation, and quality of food and beverage.

We checked in after a long but quite pleasant taxi ride ($120 is the rate from the airport ) on 24th November. Very friendly welcome and very quick and easy check in. Probably the only thing that went wrong our whole stay was that we were checked into a room which was already occupied. This was sorted our very quickly without us even having to return to reception ( they arranged it and came to us ).

Our room, which I believe is the lowest standard in the complex, comprised a four poster bed with "welcome" written in leaves on the bed on arrival, a very nice bathroom, tea/coffeee making area, walk in wardrobe, unbelievable view of the caribbean from the room and then you went upstairs to a roof top veranda which was just fantastic. The air con worked well and you have a flat screeen TV, DVD player and CD player.

Before we arrived we thought some of the previous reviews about the steep climb to your rooms were just people being lazy, but it really is very hard work, however, I am not the fittest person in the world and managed with a two year old in a buggy, so you can walk if you want. I did use the transport going up to the room two or three times. The transport is very efficient, very friendly and neccessary at times.

The beach area has had comments about it being small, not sure why. It is about two hundred meters I think. There is very good shade from the trees, but also very good standard permanent shades are in place with built in tables. The sea is a little cloudy compared to other caribbean beaches I have been on, as commented by others, but come on, you can see the fish swimming in it for about a few meters, so what more do you want. The trampoline and ice berg out in the sea are great fun and encourage you to swim a bit more. We did not use much of the water sports but everyone seems to be having a great time and when we did use the pedal boats, we again received such high level of service.

Food and beverage in the hotel was of a standard I have not experienced before in the Caribbean. I am a strict vegetarian so usually end up eating very little as you don't normally get many options in Caribbean hotels ( ommelete and chips usually ). I am pleased to say that whilst I did have one ommelette, it was for lunch and it was perfect. Every other meal there was something different for me to eat, and I did not have one bad meal, which considering how fussy I am, was amazing. My family raved about the quality of their meals also, apparantly the steak meals were especially good. You often find that hotels who advertise five restaurants only have one or two open at a time. Windjammer seemed to have at least three but mostly four open every day. All the restaurants were very good quality, but we thought that the Upper Deck ( seafood ) was great, as was Papa Don's ( Italian ). Previous comments about the Italian food must have been one off bad meals, or they have new chef's because the food was fantastic. We were all inclusive, so had mostly house wine, which you had a choice of. Very good standard. The fruit punch on the beach is addictive. They even bring you lunch on the beach if you want, and with two very young children ( 6 months and 2 year old ) this saved a lot of hassle for us. No drop in standard of food either.

I would finally like to comment on the service in the hotel. I have been to the Caribbean at least twenty times and I have never yet come accross this level of service or friendliness. Everyone we came across ( there was only one person who seemed to be quite grumpy ) was happy and helpful and genuinely seemed to want to serve you. The staff were helpful when they saw you struggling with your prams, and in general could not do enough for you.

I would certainly recommend this resort to anyone, and personally I hope to return some time soon.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank keithf5680
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Great ocean views from all rooms. Resort is on the side of the mountain built right into it. Quiet resort with lots of amenities.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank phatfour20
Reviewed 26 November 2009

How anyone could have a negative comment about this resort is beyond me. We booked the Windjammer for 1 week through Interval world's timshare getaways. The price for a 2 bedroom villa was an amazing deal and we decided to book our vacation with another couple. We read a lot of comments which were mainly great and awaited our trip with great anticipation.
Upon our arrival at the hotel we were warmly greeted by the staff., and served a killer rum punch that almost had me on the floor, then we were taken to our villa by the shuttle service. We could not believe our eyes when we were shown our villa....I really thought they had made a mistake and we were given the wrong room however hoped for the best. We had villa #418, which is at the very top / back of the property with the most amazing view of the ocean & Castries. Every room had a ocean view!! We had 2 bedrooms both with walkin closets, flat screen tv's, full bathrooms and walkouts. The kitchen was fully stocked with granite countertops and was spotless with a walkout. The living room had another flat screen tv, stereo and a walkout. There was a laundry room and another bathroom. We had a gorgeous patio with an infinity plunge pool, lounge chairs and a table with 4 chairs. Our villa was not open air concept and it did have air conditioning. It was absolutely stunning!!
I really thought before arriving to the Windjammer that I would be able to walk to my villa from the beach which I did once a day as exercise but that was with great difficulty and I jog approx 20 - 30 km a week. The shuttle service was great, the drivers were very friendly and there was never a long wait for a shuttle.
We tried all the restaurants with the exception of the Dragonfly, all the food we had was excellent with very friendly service. We did bring some food as well as we went grocery shopping for food and alcohol (we were not on an all inclusive pkg), the grocery stores had everything we wanted.
We enjoyed all the extras that were offered by the Windjammer like the kayaks, snorkelling trip, banana boat, etc. They setup a great deep sea fishing trip for my husband with Captain Dell that he enjoyed immensely. We also did the day sail trip on the catamaran which was also great.
There is not a lot of night life at the resort so if this is what you are looking for this is not a resort for you. However if you are looking for a relaxing, luxurious place to stay this is it. It is great for couples or for families. We can't wait to go back.
St Lucia is absolutely beautiful and the Windjammer from the villas to the staff are amazing!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MozzyTottenham_ON
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
Bay Gardens Beach Resort
#3 of 13 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!