“What a beautiful vacation!!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Castries
Virginia
“What a beautiful vacation!!”
Reviewed 8 July 2007

First of all, let me start this review with… we had a fantastic time at Windjammer Landings. It is a great resort, and with the amount of return vistors they have (I’ll bet 30% of the people we talked to have stayed at WJL before) it’s obvious they are doing something right. As I am sure you have read in other reviews, this place is not for the elderly, or for the handicapped. I can’t stress that enough. WJL is built on a mountain. The views from the villas are amazing, but walking up to your villa would be truly impossible for most grandma and grandpa types, and even getting in and out of the shuttles would be extremely difficult. But… for the rest of us, honeymooners, families with teenagers (like us), or couples on a getaway, it is pretty darn sweet.

First the room. As you know, it is an all villa property, which basically means there are one, two, three, and four bedroom (I think) villas in single buildings, as duplexes, or multiunit buildings. I can’t tell you about any of the other rooms, but our two bedroom (Unit 49) was nice. Not extravagant, or luxurious, but quite nice. Everything was clean, and very Caribbean. Our unit had a bedroom on the 1st floor, the living room and kitchen area on the second floor, and a bedroom on the 3rd floor. Tons of steps, but if that is not a problem for you, the layout provides nice separation between our two teenagers and my wife and me. I’m sure the plunge pool (about 12’ x 10’) is nice for some units, but ours had a very shady exposure and was to cool too enjoy, even in July. The main living area is NOT AIR CONDITIONED, which depending on the weather, can be a bit of an issue. On two of the days there was no breeze, and the living room got VERY warm. On the other days there was more of a breeze, and it was just fine. I started writing this on our last night as I sit watching the sun go down on the main level patio (there are 3 patios). . The bathrooms are fine, although just a bit dated, as was our kitchen. Don’t get me wrong, they are fine, but just not extravagant. Our kitchen also had a small washer and dryer. There is a safe in the master bedroom closet.

Now for some other pieces of advice. Cell phones... unless you have t-mobile, your cell phones do not work down here, and they only have wifi at the pool / lobby area, so if you are coming down here to get some work done too, forget about it! Do the all inclusive! We started out without being all-inclusive, but changed after a day and it was the best decision we made while on vacation. Our original plan was to eat breakfast and lunches in our room, and eat out only at dinner. That could work for some, but we are glad we changed to all inclusive (at the suggestion of another one of the several times returning vacationers). Plus, although there are kitchens in the room that you could easily use, getting up and back down from your villa is a hassle, and takes up valuable time that you want to use to have fun. The price of all-inclusive sounds expensive when you ask, but let me tell you, the meals are not inexpensive at any of the restaurants, and it is so nice to just sit on the beach and have food whenever you want, or go to the restaurants and not even have to look at the prices (as far as we know there is nothing on the menus that is not included in the all-inclusive). Teenagers are about 2/3 cost. The food was really quite good at all the restaurants, but I liked the Upper Deck the best because you are outside, right above the beach (all the restaurants are essentially outside), and my meals there were superb.

One of the best parts of WJL as far as we were concerned was the water sports. Everything but jet skis were complementary, and it is not like some places where things are complimentary, but there are so few of anything that you seldom get to use them. I know we were not there in high season, but the place was petty full and we never had a problem checking out anything. We like to sail, and there were 3 13’ Hobies and one 16 foot that were always available, plus 4 sunfishes and so many windsurf boards I could not count them. Plus there were paddle boats, kayaks, and of course snorkels and fins. They have a dive shop, and do both snorkeling and dive trips at various times during the day. And I almost forgot, they have waterskiing twice a day (for those who are all-inclusive), and banana boat rides in the late afternoon. If you like watersports, I’ll bet you will like WJL.

I’m getting close to the end, but this is fun and I still have a few more things to cover. The beach is good (in fact great), but not fantastic. It’s plenty big (they just expanded it) but only about ½ a football field of it is swimable, as the rest has not been cleaned for sea urchins and there are tons of them in the waters around WJL. Also, the sand is tan not white, and the water is clear, but not crystal clear. But the beach itself is wide enough that you don’t feel crowded (at least not when we were there), and there are plenty of chairs available (plus, don’t forget my earlier discussion about drinks flowing as fast as you want them too).
Finally, just a few thing about our trip outside the resort. We did the sunset cruise on the Pirate Ship Brig Unicorn, which was the Pirate Ship used in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. Do this! You will have a blast. The Captain and crew were all part of the movies, and it was fun talking to them about sailing, about making the movies, and about the ship itself. Plus, it is quite beautiful under full sail at sunset off the coast of St. Lucia. Ask them to show you the photo album of the crew with all the stars.
Also, on our last day we sailed down and up the west coast of St. Lucia. Another must do. The catamaran was big (held 40 people) and there was plenty of room to move around during the trip. You sail down to Soufriere, visit a waterfall and the volcano, and then eat a beautiful lunch at a cocoa plantation. On the way back, you stop at one of the bays and do some gorgeous snorkeling. It’s a full day of fun.

I could write more, but I’d better finish by saying that everyone was extremely friendly and super helpful at the resort. I got to know several of the staff’s names, and many of them knew mine by the end of the stay. Go to St. Lucia and stay at WJM. We loved it, and think you will too.

• Liked — The Watersports
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
7 Thank beachbound40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (775)
Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 8 July 2007

We read all of the other reviews posted on this site before we went to St. Lucia and ALL that I read here is true, the good and the bad! The Windjammer property is beautiful, with breath-taking views. The staff are wonderful, offering outstanding service with few exceptions. There are many activities on the resort for families and kids, particularly watersports, and some great day trips that the staff will arrange for you (the Jammers Day Sail is wonderful!). The views from the villas are wonderful and the plunge pool is a great benefit for children wanting to swim a bit before others are ready to go to the beach. However, the lack of enclosure from the insects and birds, makes the villas less than comfortable, particularly in the evening, as you can't sit in your living room without being eaten by insects in the still very hot heat. Only problem we experienced was lack of air conditioning in the MBR on our arrival and it took some polite persistance to get that resolved. Also, be aware that almost no restaurants on the island are enclosed with air conditioning so most of your dining will be open air, even in the nicest restaurants on the island and definitely in all at Windjammer. Papa Don's is good on the resort, particularly if you have kids wanting pizza and Jammers is good down on the beach during the day. There are also some good spots in Rodney Bay, Spinnakers, Elena's for gelato and the Rodney Bay Mall for groceries and shopping. Its a quick and inexpensive cab ride from Windjammers to Rodney Bay and a nice escape during the week. All in all, good trip but wouldn't go back again, given the current openness of the villas....wait instead until the new fully-enclosed condos are completed in a few years. You give up the plunge pool for fully air conditioned, bug-free comfort.

Stayed July 2007
3 Thank beachfamilyusa
Maryland
Reviewed 5 July 2007

My husband and I stayed at Windjammer for a week, and we will not return for a few reasons. The first is that we're vegetarians, and the menu choices were highly limited. Unless you want to eat fish and pizza all week, it's not an ideal situation. The food is also incredibly overpriced (and some of it, especially the desserts, are mediocre), with no differentiation between lunch and dinner menus, so unless you're doing all-inclusive, this resort is not worth the money.
If you do go, ask for your room to be treated for mosquitoes every day, and request a net for your bed. The resort has an enormous mosquito problem, and that can really limit your enjoyment of the island.
One more issue is the politeness of the staff. They were not rude (except for one woman named Frances who tried to bully us into buying a time share), but they never went out of their way to make us comfortable. We had to request everything, whereas at other five-star resorts, the staff works very hard to make sure you don't need to be without whatever you require. We also had the feeling that the staff didn't really care whether or not we were enjoying our stay, and that's inexcusable at a good resort.
The beach is lovely, and the pools are great. If you have limited mobility, however, you want to stay somewhere else, because the only way of getting to and from your room is via shuttle on windy and steep roads.
Other than the beautiful environment of the resort, we really were not that impressed.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2007

We went to St. Lucia for 10 days in May 2007. We booked our trip though Michele at Awesome Caribbean Weddings. The hotel was fantastic. We absolutely loved every minute on the resort. We stayed with a group of 25 for our wedding party, and everyone was pleased with the resort. The staff was very attentive and helpful. We also did several dives with the onsite scuba shop (Eastern Caribbean Divers) and they were excellent. Overall I would give this hotel a 5, and when I go back to St. Lucia, I would definitely stay there. On a sidenote--Brides, if you are looking to get married in St. Lucia, book with Michele at Awesome Caribbean Weddings. She will make your life a whole lot easier and you will have the wedding of your dreams!

• Liked — Beach
  • Disliked — Mosquitos
  • Stayed May 2007
1 Thank seallen76
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 June 2007

Just returned from a 12 day Honeymoon at the Windjammer. This resort is amazing!!! I had previously read some bad reviews of this resort and after staying there I can't understand why anyone would have anything negative to say about this place. We stayed in an ocean view room. The room was a decent size with two decks that offered outstanding views. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful as is the beach. The service at Windjammer is a perfect 10. I read about how some people complain about the "long wait" for service. I never encountered that at all, (nor would it bother me if it was slow). The staff at the water sports dock are great, fun loving people. They offer so many activities from tubing to the daily snorkle trips The food at the resort was excellent. They offered numerous types of foods, we never got tired of the food. They have outstanding chief's!!! I could go on and on about how much we loved this resort. They treat you like you are a King and Queen while you are there. We will be going back some time in the near future. If anyone has any question please ask. You can't go wrong with this resort!!!!!

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Huskies06
england
Reviewed 25 June 2007

Windjammer landing would be an ideal choice for people traveling with children. The villas that they offer are very spacious and well kitted out. The villa that we stayed in had 3 very large bedrooms that would have been great for a large party. The hotel also seemed to offer lots of facilities for children (sports and kids clubs)

Unfortunately I do not feel Windjammer is a suitable resort for couple looking for a luxuary holiday, I feel the rooms are not really up to scartch and do not compare in anyway to the standard of facilities available in the Indian Ocean at a very similar cost. The villas are very clean but feel a little rundown. The bathrooms just felt really outdated.

The food was of a decent standard, Jammers bar is ok for quick snacks and and Papan Dons is quite a nice place to eat in the evening. We had breakfast twice but were not that impressed with the food on offer, it seemed quite expensive for what was on offer.

The staff in the hotel were pleasant but very unorganised on occasions no one was in any rush to do anything.

As a final point I would strongly recommend that you do not visit this hotel if you are diasabled / elderley the hotel is based on a hill side and it is imposible to get down to the bard / reception without the shuttle bus to transport you.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — hills
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank roddyf
Atlanta
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I selected the Windjammer for our honeymoon after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and other websites. We stayed 10 days, but wish we would have chosen somewhere else - rooms were outdated (stay in newer villas if you can) and when we asked for the bathroom to be cleaned (three times) due to a very moldy shower and dirty floor, we got no response. Property is nice and very lush, and watersports were fun, but room was not worth what we paid. We visited several other resorts during our stay on the island and found that they had nicer rooms and more amenities for a lower price (I would check out Coco Palm prior to booking at Windjammer - not on the beach but much nicer and cheaper and in area that is more fun). We also had several problems errors on our bill - my husband had to go to the front desk twice to get the bill corrected and was not even given an apology for the screw up. We loved St. Lucia and would definitely go back - just not to the Windjammer.

• Liked — Watersports
  • Disliked — Our Room
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jgrover586
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Jade Mountain Resort
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!