“The Windjammer Landing Management and Staff are the Epitome of Customer Service!”

Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Castries
Reviewed 12 September 2007

From Richard the Guest Service Manager to Francis our private taxi driver our stay at the Windjammer was one word!!! Excellent!

At night from our one room villa we could see St. Martinique or look up in the heavens and see the entire galaxy.

The mosquitoes are bad however if you purchase the local sulphur soap and wash your arms and legs with it... You can sit out for hours.

I recommend everyone to visit St. Lucia and stay at the Windjammer Landing for your Ultimate Vacation Experience!

Bowie, Maryland

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Ellisonfamily
Write a ReviewReviews (2,765)

Reviewed 11 September 2007

My husband (47) and I (32) celebrated our 1 Year Anniversary with a first time trip to St. Lucia and stay at the Windjammer Resort from 8/29 through 9/5. Our last trip was a honeymoon at the Four Seasons in Maui. Ok with that comparison, the Windjammer is not the Four Seasons and St. Lucia is not Maui, but we both agreed by the end we really enjoyed our stay on St. Lucia at the Windjammer Resort.

My first impression after disembarking the plane and jumping in our rental jeep was "we're not in America Toto." The 90 min. drive on the left side of the road, from Vieux Fort to the Windjammer led us through some pretty rough looking towns, but the roads were clear and smooth after Hurricane Dean. I would only suggest renting a car your ENTIRE trip if you're adventurous and have a need for that kind of independence. Otherwise cabs are readily available and you can work with the concierge for car rental a day at a time when you want to go explore the island on your own.

We did the standard ocean view (they're all ocean view) room at the Windjammer: A 1 room, 1 bath villa with two-story balcony (Room 144 A). I asked if any upgrades were available and Janelle was nice enough to show us a 1-bedroom villa. We ended up keeping our original because it had less obstructed of view, was cozy, and already decorated with flowers on the bed. The furnishings were average Caribbean decor, but everything was very clean. There are nicer villas though - it's all in what you're willing to pay for. We're hardly ever in the room so we didn't care. Do use the mosquito net around the bed at night - first it's romantic in a campy sort of way, and second, although the villa is enclosed with great air conditioning, the bathroom window is open (with a pulled tight curtain) and a few mosquitos do get in. Don't freak out, they weren't that bad, the hotel gives you a bug zapper and we brought some citronella candels for outside. It is the tropics though so be prepared.

The hotel itself is not the Four Seasons, but it's cute and quaint and not Four Seasons prices either. It reminds me of a Mediterranean Village like Capri, Italy or Santorini, Greece up a hillside with spectacular views. The rooms are set upwards from the main part of the resort, which is a unique feature of the Windjammer. The shuttle service was useful and we would call about 5 minutes before ready to leave our room, however once in a while we enjoyed the 10-minute walk up or down. A little exercise to burn those calories and the view is so beautiful to take your mind off the exertion. Plus the Resort's Serenity Spa was fabulous as we enjoyed a relaxing couple's massage!

The staff at Windjammer totally impressed us. They remembered our names, asked us how our stay was going, prompt response to our requests of extra towels, helpful concierge, etc. The beach is beautiful, calm, and clear. There are two pool areas- both two levels with waterfall: 1 is up the mountain around the villas (this was being worked on during our stay) and the main pool is steps away from the beach next to Jammers bar. It's not your mega pool with swim-up bar, but again quaint, lagoon style, clean, and fitting to the decor of the resort.

Construction: Yes it's there. They are building new villas "near" the beach. To be honest it's really not a factor. Yeah you can hear some noise, but we brought a battery operated portable Ipod player and never heard a thing but our music. The grounds of the resort are well kept and tropical. They might have been putting in a fountain or something at the entrance, but again we were not bothered by the development.

The Windjammer has a few Duty Free Shops, a well-stocked Mini Mart, and 4 Restaurants. We did not do the all-inclusive plan and I would not recommend it for your entire stay, as there are a lot of great restaurants on the island. The nice thing about Windjammer is you can decide on the all-inclusive plan on a day-by-day basis, which if you plan right that's probably the most bang for your buck. We enjoyed everything we ate at the Resort and every Tuesday the Free (for everyone all-inclusive or NOT) Manager's Cocktail Party was a real treat with champange, Rum Punch, upscale hors d'oeuvres, and Native Music/Dancing entertainment!! Every night they had a different live band at Jammers Bar that was fabulous - from smooth Jazzy pop like Norah Jones, to your get up and move Reggae. Watch those local Rum shots though :)

Resort Orientation: The morning after you arrive there is a 10am orientation to fill you in on all the resort happenings. One thing they will OFFER you to participate in is a 90-minute Timeshare proposition. If you CHOOSE to sit through it you get a discounted excursion in return. We did this, didn't buy in, but it wasn't bad and we got the Jammers sail, snorkel, land excursion with lunch and drinks for $30 instead of $90. By the way the Timeshare units are beautiful and the Jammers Excursion was worth it.

Outside of Windjammer my husband and I had the best meal of our trip at The Edge Restaurant in Rodney Bay
[--] Being from Chicago we are used to good food and The Edge did not disappoint! If you can, contact Chef Bobo or Annika [--] before you go to make reservations at "their most requested table" it will be a romantic evening to remember.

The second best meal related experience we had was at Dashnee restaurant of the Ladera Resort near Soufriere. We road tripped it here for lunch - the view alone from this spot is breathtakingly worth the visit. This is a full day though from the Windjammer because of the mountainous terrain, lots of switchbacks and beautiful scenery. The resorts are beautiful around Soufriere, but a little sleepy for me. I need a bit more nightlife.

We had dinner at Tao because our favorite bartender at Windjammer Sally's boyfriend, Asher, worked there. This place has fabulous service and great food as well. Just don't get there before they open because the Resort it's in, Le Sport, is all-inclusive (only) and you cannot just wander the grounds, but still a great meal.

Rodney Bay: The nightlife of the island takes place around here. We enjoyed the restaurant Buzz for a low-key evening dinner and beach bar Spinnakers great view on Reduit Beach for lunch. We also had fun hanging with the locals at Rumors dance club.

Marigot Bay is a beautiful town - I'd possibly suggest staying around here - it's ritzy, lot's of beautiful boats, a yachters paradise, several good restaurants, and lounges. The Discovery Resort is fantastic - with infinity pools, polynesian design, but no beach. I think one of the hotels in Marigot Bay does have a beach, but I cannot remember what it's called - again this
area is all about big beautiful yachts. You can get a yacht charter out of here for like over night to whereever you want to go. We'd consider doing this next time to maybe like the Grenadines. All and all you're in the Caribbean, you want a nice beach so I'd say have a Taxi take you there for the day or evening dinner rather than stay around here.

Serenity Vacations & Tours: Originally I booked the Grenadines Day Trip Excursion (fly, sail, and snorkel to 3 islands) with John Mathurin [--] but it got canceled due to some inclement weather as a result of the outerbands of Hurricane Felix. A bummer, but I must say Mr. Mathurin was a pleasure to work with, was honest about Hurricane Dean that happened before we got to St. Lucia, and always had our safety in mind.

Overall St. Lucia is our kind of place. It's exotic, a bit undiscovered, and "Simply Beautiful." The Creole people were much friendlier than I would of thought when I first got off the plane. In fact they are about the most warm-hearted group of people when you take the opportunity to get to know them. We asked for directions numerous times while driving and not once was someone rude or refused to help. They will treat you as they treat them so be kind, say hello, and smile. Feel free to email me at kim-neilson@hotmail.com with any questions.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
14  Thank kim_neilson
Reviewed 8 September 2007

Our wedding was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
It was held in the private estate villa on the terrace, 406. Beautiful view and surroundings! The wedding coordinators did an awesome job with the set-up. They exceeded my expectations. My guests had a great time too. They were extremely impressed. Everyone felt as though they were in a movie! Our destination wedding was truly a dream.

We were pleased with the food and activities provided by Windjammer. We were there to relax and have fun and that we did. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa. It was great. Our villa was indeed tropical. It had 3 levels. Our bedroom had a beautiful terrace and steps lead to another level on the top of our villa. My only negative are the mosquitos, which are to be expected and have nothing to do with windjammer. The living area was open air and the mosquitos do bite. However, we sprayed Off and were fine. We did not let mosquitos ruin our trip. I was really concerned about WJLV after reading some reviews. I understand everyone has different experiences and expectations. I also expressed some of the comments to the staff. But, My experience was great. I felt prepared and my expectations were realistic because I did months of research, prayed, and visited this site weekly to read reviews. I was prepared for almost anything. But, I am happy to say my vacation was FABULOUS!!!

I encourage travelers to be open-minded. Do your research. The resort is like no-other on the island. The views are spectacular because the villas are on hills. This is not your typical resort. Be patient and understand this is not the US or Europe. Life is more relaxed. So... just relax yourself. Shuttles are provided for our convenience. The resort is indicative of Caribbean living. If you're looking for a more traditional resort, then visit Sandals. Windjammer is in a class of its own. We were also in the AI plan. That was perfect for us!

I would definitely suggest having your wedding in an estate villa if you are marrying at Windjammer. The estate villa is private, extremely spacious, and pretty. You'll be overlooking the entire resort and Atlantic ocean as you recite your vows. I also suggest taking pictures on the beach as the sun sets. We also had our reception at the estate villa. the reception set up was perfect and the food delicious! The beach is not private enough and the area designated for weddings was damaged a bit by the hurricane. Also, be upfront about your expectations for your wedding. I was in constant communication with the coordinators. I sent dozens of pictures about what i visioned for our big day. I also bought candles and tea lights, vases, fans, and all sorts of items for the ceremony and reception. I asked for a minister and even wrote the order of ceremony. I left nothing to wander. I have no regrets about our Destination wedding. It could not have been prettier in the U.S. Our wedding was a dream!!!

Well, i hope this helps someone!

• Stayed: August 2007
8  Thank niseatl
Reviewed 31 August 2007

My husband and I went to Windjammer Landing for our honeymoon, and it is truly a trip we will remember forever. We wanted to go to a place that wasn't a honeymoon convention -- and this was the perfect find. Going to a Sandals was not our idea of a good time - we didn't want to hang out with only couples on their honeymoon and get into debates about whose wedding was better. We were looking for a place where we could go do things on our own, but also interact with various people - not just honeymooners.

The resort is amazing - we stayed in a one bedroom villa with a private plung pool, and it was everything we had hoped for and more. The view from our balcony was beautiful, and we always made sure we were back at the villa each night to watch the sunset with a bottle of champagne. The room was always kept clean, every villa has a maid that comes daily, and the pool was always in great condition. It was wonderful to have your own private pool to come back to for a night swim!

The staff was also very helpful, and always very courteous. We did several of the excursions, each of which were well worth the time and money. Most of the excursions are very reasonably priced - especially for what you get to do. The Jammers Day Sail, The Zipline tour through the rainforest and the horse back riding were all amazing and we would highly recommend doing these while you are there.

The resort is very hilly, so most of the time you will have to take shuttles to and from your villa. The resort makes it very convenient though, they have several that run all the time so it makes it easy to get around.

We also purchased the all-inclusive option which covered all of our food, drinks (alcohol and non-alcohol) and all water sports. This is a great idea to do. The plan costs about $115 a day per person, and its worth every penny -- everything was delicious. We calculated it out, and if we hadn't bought the all-inclusive option, we would have paid almost $350 a day for food and drinks for the two of us. We live in New York, so we are used to great food, and great dining experiences - so this was a very important aspect to us. The service was great in all of the restaurants (a total of 5 on the resort), and we honestly never had a bad meal. The resort's head chef should be commended for providing such great options and menu items at all of the restaurants.

We are already planning on going back to Windjammer Landing - once you go, you'll never want to go anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LRFnewyork
Reviewed 25 August 2007

My husband and I (both under 38 years old) stayed at the Windjammer for 5 days for a short summer vacation. The Windjammer is a great vacation spot if your expectations are realistic.

The Windjammer is advertised as a luxury resort. It is not. It is an average older Caribbean resort. This is not a bad thing - if that's what you expected. If you believe the luxury hype and pics from their website you will be disappointed. The villas are not luxurious and decorated with "tropical elegance". There are no high quality towels and sheets, no fancy furnishings, gleaming floors, flat screen tv's , etc etc. The only thing on point about the description on the website is the view - the view from the villas is absolutely beautiful.

The ride from the airport - Yes it is very long ride if you fly into the big airport. The roads weren't scary to us, as they were paved. We took a nap.

The room - We stayed in a 1 bedroom villa with plunge pool. Our living area was enclosed and air conditioned. We requested one of the fully enclosed villas. It was quite large and spotlessly clean with a full kitchen. The view from our deck was beautiful. The room however, was not luxurious. It was a plain average room with wicker furnishings and a bathroom with a regular tub.

Shuttle system - Yes the hills are quite steep. We were quite a ways up the mountain. Walking down is not impossible but not advised as the roads are narrow and the shuttles are always on the move. The shuttles are quick and efficient, so we didn't find this a minus...actually it's pretty great to get shuttled back to your room after a night at the bar.

The food - The food was pretty good. Didn't have a bad meal. We were on the all-inclusive plan, which I recommend as the meals and drinks are pricey. The steaks and seafood at the Upper deck was good, The Dragonfly was excellent. Lunch at Jammers everyday was great - get a beef roti!

The bar.- Drinks were good. Daiquiris made with real bananas instead of mix! They have top shelf stuff, just ask once and the bartender will remember.

Beach - Beach is small but quiet and relaxing. Lots of loungers and beautiful views.

The spa - I had a massage at the spa. This is really were the not a luxury hotel comes in. The spa is tiny and old. After you sign in you change into a robe (a thin one - not one of those big thick terry ones)- there are two little rooms in which to change...the restroom (that has one toilet and sink ) or the shower area ( a single shower in a room). After you change into your robe you sit in the waiting area that is right by the entrance door in a upright hard chair. So people are coming in and out while you sit right by the door naked under a thin robe.

The massage table was rickety and creaked as I got on and every time the massage tech applied pressure. Note I am not a huge person - about 160lbs soaking wet. Not exactly relaxing. The massage tech was ok. It mostly felt like I was just getting slathered with oil.

After the massage the usual expectation is that you go to some lounge to relax, maybe in the whirlpool, steam room etc. After my massage I came out expecting to be invited/shown to the lounge area. The massage tech just asked if I liked the massage and then just walked away to the next customer. I peeked around for a second but I didn't see any other area to relax so I just dressed and left.

The pools - on the small side. Again, this is where the not luxury shows again. They look old and not exactly inviting. This type of thing is suitable for kids but not for adults expecting luxury. But not the biggest deal as the beach was better.

The gym/exercise facilities - This consists of a small dark hot room with old equipment. Only the really determined would work out there. The 2 times we went we had it all to ourselves.

Entertainment - There was a live band at Jammers nightly until about 10:30pm. The bands were generally good. After that the bar switches on the radio until closing at about 12 or 1am.

Conclusion - All in all we had a great time. But this is only because the food and drink were good and plentiful and the view from our room was beautiful and the short duration of our stay.

We were expecting a short luxury vacation where we could relax and recharge our batteries. But the amenities and atmosphere at the hotel are not for this purpose - it is more suited for a family or young couple on a quick getaway/first taste of the Caribbean type of trip. If we had not believed the description on the hotel's website and paid about $1500 less we would say this hotel was an excellent choice. So for those expecting luxury go elsewhere. If you are expecting luxury and already booked...don't despair just readjust your expectations and eat and drink your disappointment away...we did.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank travelingfromphilly
Reviewed 24 August 2007

We spent just over a week at the Windjammer in July. After a long day of travel, we were greeted at the property by smiling faces with can-do attitudes.....and a nice, cold face cloth! From that point forward, the entire staff made every effort to make our stay relaxing and enjoyable. If the heat was too much for us, the shuttle was always standing by to take us to our room. We had a one bedroom unit, and the air conditioner worke like a dream. The absolute only single complaint we had was the bathroom. It was a bit dark, low water pressure, and the AC didn't reach that far.
Other than that, it was a great stay. We only ate a few meals on the property, preferring instead to snoop out great little restaurants on our own. We rented a car for the week and took in all the sites. Local restaurants were great (except for the Lime) and the people treated us very nicely from north to south.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RuttaB55
Reviewed 13 August 2007

We stayed at the Windjammer for 11 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The restort is beautiful and the room we had (ocean view) was beautiful. Not only did we have a terrace but there was also a sunning area on the roof. Think only rooms with (a) at the end get the additional sun area. The beach and pools mean that you can get variety throughout the day and the choices of restaurants available were adequate. The food was tasty and the portions generous but chips came with nearly eveything so a little bit more diversity would have been good. Papa Dons was our favourite restaurant, the meals were very tasty at a reasonable price, but by day 11 it was nice to go somewhere new

The only reservation I would have was the night life. Post 10.30 there is no one really around bar teens, which can get dull if you are staying for a longer time frame. However Rodney Bay is not that far and we really enjoyed our trips into there. Beers were also expensive at 3 Euro (9ECB) for a 250ml bottle in the hotel. The same bottle was 4-5 ECB in Rodney bay and 2 ECB in the supermarket

The staff were friendly enough but it felt very forced and not genuine. Even though we tipped 10% on top of the service charge and tax we never felt like it was appreciated

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank dotty20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castries
Villa Beach Cottages
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort? Share your experiences!