“Couples Paradise”

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Castries
London, United Kingdom
“Couples Paradise”
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just came back from a week at Rendezvous and having read other reviews i thought i'd share our experience at this little Caribbean treasure.

First thing to note about Rendezvous is that if you want to go to a 5 star hotel that has all the latest mod-cons then Rendezvous is not for you. The beauty of the hotel is that everything is very Caribbean and very much designed for couples in each and every part.

The resort:
The resort is perfectly designed for couples with plenty of well designed areas which means you have always have space away from everyone else. The pool next to the spa and the lazy river were particularly good for this. With regards to the beach, unfortunately it wasn't crystal clear waters (although this could have been to the time of year) but the water was still lovely and great to swim in. The resort also provides you with beach flags to signal to staff when you want another drink. Another highlight of Rendezvous is the water sport facilities they offer, we enjoyed water-skiing, tubing and kayaking all included. You could have also gone sailing, diving and fishing if you wanted to.

On rooms:
We stayed in the Verandah Suite and this was well worth the optional upgrade. The room had Caribbean charm throughout and the fact it didn't have a TV was ideal for just spending time together. In terms of amenities, the room had everything we needed and was to a high level of cleanliness.

Food:
There are two restaurants, one on the main terrace (which is the buffet style restaurant) and the separate 'Trysting' restaurant which is a-la-carte. The food in both restaurants were really good with the buffet style restaurant serving good variety across breakfast, lunch and dinner and to our delight no chips being offered during any course throughout the 7 days we stayed there! The setting of the main terrace restaurant was amazing looking over the beach but the a-la-carte restaurant is in desperate need of updating as it feels like you could be eating in a hotel conference room anywhere in the UK. The menu for the a-la-carte restaurant doesn't rotate daily so if you go more than once be prepared for the same options to be available.

Staff:
On the whole the staff were really nice, exceeding expectation whenever the opportunity arose. Each one made an effort to learn our name and build a rapport with us during our stay.

Planes & Noise:
We noticed that other reviewers had commented on this so though we'd share our experience. The wildlife are wildlife and the hotel can do nothing about that. The noise of the cricket and frogs were quite complimentary to the setting but if you are a light sleeper take ear plugs. The airport is quite close to the resort but it's important to add its not St Lucia's main airport and hence only a small handful of flights fly over each day. We quite enjoyed a bit of plane spotting!

Overall a really enjoyable week and resort. We'd highly recommend Rendezvous to other couples.

4 Thank wilkoitfc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (774)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

Myself & my husband spent 8 days of our honeymoon at the end of Oct in the Rendezvous resort, like many of the other reviews we have nothing but good things to say about the resort.

On arrival after the transfer by road, which is fine, we were greeted by Gavin with cold drinks & cold towels - heaven. Our bags where whisked away to our room with was across from the pool bar. Our travel agent didn't let them know we were on honeymoon on our booking & apologies we're made - (no big deal) and the next day our honeymoon welcome pack was in our room, champagne, couples massage & flowers. Nice touch.

Our room was perfect. A beautiful four poster bed, which had flowers on it daily after the cleaning staff had been in. I know there are some who found not having a TV in the room disappointing, but we didn't even miss it.

The pool areas are clean & tidy. We didn't experience an issues like other reviewers. Ashley one of the guys behind the pool bar is fantastic, full of chat & no fear of getting thirsty. The flag in the sand is the greatest thing ever.

My husband took full advantage of all the activities, he scuba dived, kayaked, sailed & went tubing. The staff who look after the activities are an absolute pleasure. Clavi, Josie, Jackie & Pauline are fantastic & never put any pressure on if you didn't want to get involved but if you did there was always loads to do.

The food for us was great, we found the variety very good but I think food is a personal thing as to your own tastes & wants, but for us we loved it. The BBQ on the beach was one if our favourites, along with Caribbean night, the Italian night was very tasty also - I could honestly go on and on. On the A la carte night on the terrace, there was limited choice, it was our least favourite night. We loved eating on the terrace, although it did take me a day or two to cope with the birds wants to share your breakfast!

We loved the champagne bar, it was lovely and cool on the warm nights. The bar man was sound too.

We had a massage & I had a pedicure in the spa, it was fab. We headed off on a trip Whale watching, not a Whale to be seen but we saw loads of dolphins, we enjoyed that. We also got a taxi into Rodney bay, on a fellow guest recommendation we booked Alan the taxi driver - a absolute gent. He picked us up & collected us. There's a small shopping mall, not much in it (MAC & some clothes shops) but it was nice for a wander.

If you're a smoker pick up duty free on the way there as cigarettes in shop are $12.

The only minor issue I found was the reception staff, I didn't find them particularly friendly or helpful which actually really stood out as all the rest of the staff are exceptionally friendly. I personally felt that you were annoying them if you popped in to try & book dinner or had a general question.

We only managed to get into the Trysting one of the nights as it was fully booked or closed. We had a lovely meal, the staff again are just so friendly. The decor is a little dated but it didn't bother us.

Our favourite part of our stay was the other guests, it would seem that we struck gold the days we were there as our fellow guests from the US, Canada, England & Northern Ireland were great company. There was such a fantastic atmosphere by the pool every day with everyone chatting, it just topped the whole experience off.

Overall, we would both really recommend the Rendezvous resort.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I think the reality of this resort lies somewhere between the reviews which claim it is perfect and those which aren't so complimentary. We visited in November 2013 and found it to be a very decent hotel which also has some room for improvement. I've tried to be balanced in my review because it's obvious that the hotel has a good attitude towards its customers and is managed well, and there are some very good things about it.

Firstly, we took the taxi transfer from the airport to the hotel. It took a little over an hour and it was absolutely fine, the roads aren't too bad and it was interesting to see some of the island.

The hotel is on the outskirts of the town of Castries, and although it's a little underwhelming when you first arrive the resort itself is very well kept, with manicured tropical gardens and a nice 'feel' to the place. The airport next door is not a big source of noise - you might hear 6 or 7 small aircraft per day take off here (Dash-8 or ATR-72 aircraft - with propellers) and it didn't bother us at all, in fact it was quite nice to see them whizzing overhead en-route to another Caribbean island!

There are two pools, the hotel was busy when we stayed but there were generally loungers available until mid morning. The sea is not crystal clear but it's nice and warm for swimming and seemed clean. The beach is public, lots of locals enjoying it (especially at weekends) as you would if you lived there. The staff at this hotel are unfailingly polite and are obviously well trained, there are lots of activities going on but never any pressure to join in if you don't want to. Lots of nice cocktails and premium brand spirits available if you ask for them.

There are lots of good things about this hotel and they've almost all been said before! I offer the following points as constructive feedback because I like this hotel and want to see them improve and continue to do well.

One point concerns the food and dining. Before we travelled I read some reviews which said that there was an enormous amount of choice. I would disagree with that - there's no shortage of food, but the buffet area is small and the selection reflects that. The main buffet restaurant offers only outdoor seating; this is OK but it's obviously very hot outside and I do think it would have been nice to have the choice to sit in an air conditioned dining room. The only air conditioned areas in the entire hotel are the rooms and the gym. There is also the problem of flies and birds which are prolific and became a little annoying after a while especially at breakfast, just take care not to leave any food or drinks uncovered while you're at the buffet and you should be fine.

There is a second indoor air conditioned restaurant for dinner (reservations only) which books up quite quickly. In my opinion the decor and atmosphere in here is very old fashioned and dated indeed, it's a bit like being at your granny's house. The food is only average in this restaurant and the entire setup is badly in need of updating and refurbishment.

In general we found the food in the main restaurant a little hit and miss. There were some really delicious dishes, but others were quite poor - the vegetable selection for example was very limited and some of the meat was very fatty and gristly, some of it seemed to be of poor quality. Also, the buffet area sometimes became congested as a result of the way the hotel ran things. For example, on Chinese night they had a stir fry selection. The raw meat, vegetables and noodles were self service on one side of the restaurant. You put what you wanted on a plate raw and then took it to the stir fry station to be cooked. Aside from the unpleasantness of looking at a pile of raw pork or chicken while you queue in the heat, the queue to get the stir fry cooked became enormous and the dining room ran out of tables as people weren't leaving because they were stuck in the line. This kind of thing doesn't really make for a romantic dinner.

The rooms were great, but the doors to the Beachside Apartments are slatted, not solid wood, so there is a lot of insect noise at night; make sure you bring some earplugs. I read this in another review before I came and thought it wouldn't bother me - I was wrong, they're very loud!

My final point concerns the dress code in the evenings - men must wear long trousers for dinner. A number of guests chose to disregard the dress code and turned up in shorts, and the hotel completely failed to enforce their own rules and turned a blind eye. I think that if you are going to have a dress code then enforce it, otherwise (and this is my preferred solution) please drop it so that those of us who choose to play by the rules can be nice and cool in shorts as well! If the dress code is so unimportant that it isn't enforced, why bother having it in the first place?

On the whole this is a very nice hotel with great staff, you can tell that from the large number of positive reviews it has received, but it isn't perfect. I would recommend it, but I do think there's room for improvement particularly with the dining arrangements.

7 Thank BY291B
uk
Reviewed 25 November 2013

RE: Recent Holiday 4th – 11th October 2013

My wife and I have always enjoyed our holidays at the Rendevous hotel and looked forward to this our 3rd visit. During these past 10 years I have recommended your hotel to others as our experience and enjoyment had remained with us and was always talked about when in the company of friends.
However, this recent holiday was a disappointing and upsetting experience which began with a dispute with management regarding room allocations whereby our room was given to another couple whom had joined us on this holiday and absolute denial by the staff regarding the e-mail which I had received from them confirming my Room, their general attitude left much to be desired.
As an all- inclusive hotel the standards were quite appalling compared to our last visits and services which should have been included in our package were non- existent. The cleanliness of the hotel particularly in the public areas was disgusting with cats spraying and marking their territories in the bar /dining and lounge areas which should never have been allowed and which breaches all normal health and safety rules, the stench was terrible. Rats were seen on at least 2 occasions and also cockroaches which were seen in the food serving area. This was notified to the staff who indicated that this was normal following bad weather. Not in our country and not what we expect from the Hotel.
The food was sub- standard and certainly not the standard expected from a luxury 4*plus hotel and way below the standards experienced in our previous visits. The choice and quality was extremely poor with tough cheap cuts of meats without flavour and grisly and inedible on many occasions.
The leisure facilities were minimalized. An example of this was the water doughnuts not being offered to guests as we were told they needed replacing and new ones were on order. However the next day I saw these doughnuts myself sitting in the equipment shed and on enquiring was told by a separate member of staff, that they were not being currently used as the real reason being was the boat towing them uses too much petrol. Also things like a ride in the Speedboat that was free before is now charged.
It is plainly very obvious that this Hotel is cutting costs and is at the Guests expense but ultimately I’m sure people will start to avoid this place.
Obviously we will not be returning at any time in the future and will not be recommending this as a choice for anyone looking for a hotel on the island.
Reputations take a long time to build but are quickly destroyed as other guests were also complaining and feel sure they will not be returning either.

Paul B
Cambridge UK

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank beebopper
General-Managers1, General Manager at Rendezvous Resort, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Guests

We remember the circumstances of your stay quite well, we regret that we did not meet your expectations and are sorely disappointed that you have decided not to return to Rendezvous. We value each and every guest. We are disappointed by your account considering the efforts made to improve your stay despite your decision not to discuss your issues with us. With reference to your room, we understand the sentimental value attached and we regret that we were unable to fulfill your request. As you may well be aware, it not our policy to confirm a specific room number to guests as we are cognizant of the outcome associated with such guarantees. Of course we do our best to honour guest requests for a specific room number but as a matter of policy we do not guarantee it. At the time of your query, reference was made to the email you received from the House Manager. This email advised that we would do our best to honour your request for Verandah Suite #217. It was explained that this email was not a guarantee but a commitment to doing our best to honouring your request. Instead of receiving the room number you requested, you received the room next door, Rm# 218 which offers the same view, the same décor and the same amenities. We apologise if this was not satisfactory.

All of our efforts to apologise and appease you were futile as you felt we had made a promise that was not kept. Again, I wish to advise that we did not promise this room. In our personal conversation, I asked what it was we could do to soften your disappointment about the room assignment. You advised there was nothing. You also then mentioned aspects of the stay that were not to standard and when I asked what these were so I could address them for you, your response was you would post your feedback on the internet.

We are aware that our guests will have varied opinions of the experience and we value each person’s feedback and use this to work on improving the service and experience we offer. We respect your opinion especially as you are one of our return customers. However, we must dispute your comments as it relates to cats, rats and cockroaches. We have not received this complaint from guests on resort, nor have these complaints surfaced through this medium. Health and safety standards at the resort are not only regulated by Health authorities locally, they are regulated by International Health & Safety Authorities including some out of the UK e.g. IGI and others commissioned by large Tour Operators of the likes of Virgin Holidays, Thomas Cook, British Airways and Kuoni who have all rated the resort highly for health, hygiene and safety standards. Further, we dispute your comments as it relates to cut backs on quality of activities and food. In the recent past, we have many of our return customers visit and even post reviews via this medium and they have not raised this as a concern.

Warm Regards,

Yhasmine Remy-Hylton
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Rendezvous is the perfect place to go and have a romantic getaway. Trust me, I got married at Rendezvous to my beautiful wife and couldn’t imagine a more romantic, pretty and courteous resort.
The first thing that hits you when you arrive are the staff, we have never encountered people who are so genuine and care about you. Everyone makes an effort to talk and get to know you. It’s almost as if they can read your mind when you need something but it’s just that they pay attention with the upmost detail. You have a sip of iced water and it’s topped up, if you go for food, as soon as you sit down someone places your napkin on your lap but it’s not intrusive, it all feels just right because all the staff are lovely (and you will get to know and love them all)

Food is second to none; every night is themed in the terrace restaurant and is just gorgeous (Gloria has worked there for 37 years) that shows the commitment to each other by the resort and staff. Most of the staff have been there for a long time . The trysting restaurant is very intimate with service, great food and music just right for romance.

Water sports are all free and you can have a quick lesson if you’re not sure about the sailing or water skiing. The activity guys and gals, Jackie, to Cato, to Josie, to Pauline, to Francis to Clavi and Dino are very fit and put on a great show day and night.

The bar staff are fantastic (Shawn and Glen), try the fruit punch (alcohol free) in the morning, as a previous post says it’s the best way to have bananas (but be careful to count the rum shots at night or you may not remember going home lol).

Saint Lucia is absolutely beautiful, rainforest covered mountains and fantastic beaches. You must take the land and sea tour to see the best of the island. Castries town and market is fantastic.

Now on to the best bit, if you want to get married in the Caribbean do it here, there is no stress, you don’t have to do anything, everything is done for you. All you have to do is take your wedding outfit. Karen will make it a perfect day with lots of lovely touches. We got married with no family there and yet we weren’t on our own as all the staff and friends we met whilst there made our wedding perfect and special.

I cannot recommend Rendezvous enough, Yahasmine and all her staff will make your stay the best you ever had.

Thank you to all the staff for making our wedding and honeymoon really special.
Anyone who has any negatives about Rendezvous and St Lucia please stay at home because if you’re not happy there than you won’t be happy anywhere but home. (Believe me we have been all over the world and you won’t be looked after better)
Go to Rendezvous you will love it x
Andy and Ann

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AndyV51
Romford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Researched this hotel before booking and we were not disappointed!

First of all a big big thank you to all the staff and this includes the following: Harry,Simon, Frances,Veronica, Valencia, Alison, Nadia, Tony, Leon Jackie Pauline, Josie, Clavi, Myra, Deno,Franics, Diane,Jacqueline, Melissa, Francis, Candice, Falicia, Sean, Alick, Alex, and Gilbert and Carmel. For example, Candice a warm beautiful lady. Melissa your lovely smile, Thank You Pauline for coming to my rescue when I cut the back of my ankle. and Gilbert what can we say it was so nice to listen to you play that piano!

All Staff had lovely personalities and we say thank you to you all and for those not mentioned apologies as for some reason the names were erased from my phone.

To All the Managers and General Manager thank you too.

We stayed in the Verandah Suite 2nd floor, nice clean room with view of the gardens. Very comfortable bed and loved the shower.
My Bajan man says thank you too. Bar staff knew his drink Courvoisier and coke. I was a little more adventurous and tried several cocktails.

We ate in the Trysting Place 3 times we took advise from fellow trip advisers and booked in twice in advance upon arrival. The 3rd time entailed being invited by a lovely couple we met Roger and Linda.

The Terrace Restaurant was also good. there was wide choice of foods.

We enjoyed the Aqua Aerobic, tai chi and cricket

The locals on the beach were very friendly we even joined them in a ball game in the sea, which was fun!

We could go on and on about Rendezvous and yes we will hopefully be back soon.

2 Thank Jan R
Basingstoke, UK
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Just returned from a week at Rendezvous and it was brilliant. Staff are fantastic, the rooms are great, we stayed in a veranda room which was lovely. The food was very good in the terrace restaurant, however we found the trysting place only ok. The fish was very overcooked and so dry and tough, the tomato and mozzarella salad was hardly a salad. The steak was lovely but served with oven chips, not good. The service on our second visit was bad when it started to get busy and furnishings we rather old fashioned. It is nice to be waited on instead of queuing at the buffet but overall it was only mediocre. The spa was brilliant and the treatments very good, my husband just about recovered from the sports massage!! The dive school was great and my husband had some great dives including the all inclusive ones. Overall a brilliant holiday and the perfect place for some R&R as the staff and location make it. If you can treat yourselves to the helicopter transfer on arrival, awesome trip! We would definitely recommend Rendezvous to anyone, would we go back, not sure as there are lots of other places too visit!!! Thank you Rendezvous for a great holiday

Room Tip: Veranda suite 122 was brilliant and very quiet